Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed cameras in Ireland - a guide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

Avadacov wrote: »
    Passed a Garda 4x4 hidden on the layby of the N7 heading towards Naas this morning. One guard in the driver seat with a speed gun pointed onto the road I was driving on. Was doing about 112-114km as I got stuck in the outside lane overtaking a car. Think I may have been blocked in by other cars, but what's the liklihood I will be issued with points? Do you have to be actually pulled over to be booked? Panicking slightly!!

Get the vaseline out. The long dildo of the law is coming for you

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Can you point out some examples of these hidden signs on google maps please?
    Otherwise, I'll stand by my belief that you're just waffling and it doesn't really happen that both signs are hidden.

I'll pull the images from my Twitter asking the garda btw I don't reside on boards to waffle either

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Avadacov

tcawley29 wrote: »
    Get the vaseline out. The long dildo of the law is coming for you

Very helpful, thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,341 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

If he didn't pull you over you are probably safe enough, saw the Guards out a few times with the gun and they always took off after someone they wanted to book.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

If he didn't pull you over you are probably safe enough, saw the Guards out a few times with the gun and they always took off after someone they wanted to book.

Thats what ive seen also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Goose81 wrote: »
    Are you sure about that?

I'm on a bike and often go past speed vans above the limit and have never got a ticket, if the front camera is true they would have used it to get the reg..

100% sure.

Van records every vehicle. A garda in thurles decides on issuance of tickets..

They will take account of traffic and road conditions and time of day.

11am Sunday, dry conditions and you "may" get away with 115km, 4pm Monday and wet road and you could have a ticket for 105km (100km limit)

There was an excellent report in the Irish Times a year or so back that the reporter spent a day with gosafe

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Goose81 wrote: »
    Are you sure about that?

I'm on a bike and often go past speed vans above the limit and have never got a ticket, if the front camera is true they would have used it to get the reg..

The front camera, and around the van, are CCTV. They are not used to double-check regs etc. It's why you get away with it on a bike unless you are going away from the rear doors of the van.
    jimmynokia wrote: »
    Well as a fairly regular user of the same roads it's obvious I would personally however not living in their area or for others passing through don't you find it a bit of a fish in a barrel situation?
    Like the garda are to have speed camera signs on roads clearly visible same should apply to the speed signs one would think.

There is no onus for the signs to be up. You're not supposed to be speeding anywhere and at any time. Signs are a courtesy and a pretty generous one at that.

I'm not fan of GoSafe but arguing that signs were covered and tickets were issued is actually an insane hill to plant a flag on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭noelf

Anyone here using the waze app for navigation ? First time I used it it warned me of a speed van ahead 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

ironclaw wrote: »
    There is no onus for the signs to be up. You're not supposed to be speeding anywhere and at any time. Signs are a courtesy and a pretty generous one at that.

Without a sign, how would you know the speed limit?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I'll pull the images from my Twitter asking the garda btw I don't reside on boards to waffle either
    Any chance of you throwing up those locations for us?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭flazio

noelf wrote: »
    Anyone here using the waze app for navigation ? First time I used it it warned me of a speed van ahead 🙂

It depends. It's user controlled so if you come across a van outside of a commuter belt, it's unlikely to have been reported to waze.

Any chance of you throwing up those locations for us?

There is a few that is questionable yes I will note them all and try get more images to match

There is a few that is questionable yes I will note them all and try get more images to match
    aah come on, surely it's not that difficult to find an example? You don't need to list them all!

aah come on, surely it's not that difficult to find an example? You don't need to list them all!

First of all im not your secretary and have these at hand and second I will get images, naming places without the pictures is not worth anyones time.

kilbride road

kilbride road

...but they're not completely blocked :confused:
    Inm fact, you'd want to be a danger to everyone else not to know that the speed limit is changing (approaching an urban area and four signs present.
    Whilst I admit some of them are partially blocked, they are not completely blocked on both sides as you said.
    Go on, take that to court and see what the judge says to you :rolleyes:
    Odd I've seen some completely blocked that ain't fair if you have photos and dashcam evidence..
    They're blocked on both sides of the road?
    Plus how did you know they are there if they're completely blocked?
    Yup seen a few mostly overgrown trees etc

...but they're not completely blocked :confused:
    Inm fact, you'd want to be a danger to everyone else not to know that the speed limit is changing (approaching an urban area and four signs present.
    Whilst I admit some of them are partially blocked, they are not completely blocked on both sides as you said.
    Go on, take that to court and see what the judge says to you :rolleyes:[/

Let me refresh. Here's one example I'll get more btw you can't clearly see this until you are right on top of them stop turning this into a garda fanboy affair there's plenty completely blocked some partially which is a valid question to ask

• Registered Users Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

On the motorway today and came up behind a car which in turn was behind another one in the outside lane. It took off like a bullet (160+ I'd say) when the first car moved in, but then I noticed what might have been a bike cop on a bridge ahead crouched down looking over the lanes

No on ramp to give chase though. Assuming it was a cop, are these situations still intercept only?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭irishgeo

The latest set of speed zones aren't going to have the camera signs and they have started to remove the existing ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Been a few years since my driving test but I'm almost sure there was a question of if there is no speed limit sign, what speed should you drive at. Not sure if this is legislated but the answer, from a very foggy memory, was 80km/h.

In the shot above, it's a built up area, so a 50km/h limit would be the logical speed limit apply and I'd likewise contest, those signs are not truly covered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Parsnips

Can I just ask.
    If pulled over by garda car for being "slightly" over speed limit. Do they have to inform you of the points penalty there and then and take your details etc or can I now just expect a fine & points in the post for them simply asking me where im going and to slow down a bit.
    No details taken etc.
    Head Foookin melted now. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭amdaley28

Parsnips wrote: »
    Can I just ask.
    If pulled over by garda car for being "slightly" over speed limit. Do they have to inform you of the points penalty there and then and take your details etc or can I now just expect a fine & points in the post for them simply asking me where im going and to slow down a bit.
    No details taken etc.
    Head Foookin melted now. :(

If they asked you just to slow down a bit then you're fine.
    How far over the limit were you ?

going about 75 in 60. 11pm. nobody else on damn road. normally always on the ball. came up behind me and flashed me over.
    they didnt get out of car or anything just pulled up beside me and rolled window down.
    Do they have to officially inform you or WTF.
    Just said on your way and slow down a bit.

Life is stresfull enough the last 6 months without that ****e tbh.
    Thanks for the reply

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,446 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

going about 75 in 60. 11pm. nobody else on damn road. normally always on the ball. came up behind me and flashed me over.
    they didnt get out of car or anything just pulled up beside me and rolled window down.

Thanks for the reply

You're grand. They're being decent. Giving you a bit of a bollocking so you'll pay more attention

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭amdaley28

Thanks for the reply

75 in a 60, I've seen people pulled over for a lot less.
    They knew you were over the limit but just warned you. If they were going to do you they would have told you.
    Kettle must have been on the boil in the station.
    Now if they had set up a speed camera or it was a van that caught you that would have been a different story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

amdaley28 wrote: »
    75 in a 60, I've seen people pulled over for a lot less.
    They knew you were over the limit but just warned you. If they were going to do you they would have told you.
    Kettle must have been on the boil in the station.
    Now if they had set up a speed camera or it was a van that caught you that would have been a different story.

Ye probably didn't have anything official to measure the speed but knew you were going faster. A 'friendly' reminder was all it is. Fair play I guess!

If a bollicking was all it was well thats grand.
    Sometimes I think they see everyone as a scumbag.
    "I am not a criminal" ====== said in John Hurt Elephant Man style.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

If a bollicking was all it was well thats grand.
    Sometimes I think they see everyone as a scumbag.
    "I am not a criminal" ====== said in John Hurt Elephant Man style.
    all depends on your attitude to them if u are a **** to them they will be a **** back.
    it was a cop the **** on that type of one, do that again you wont be so lucky will have points type of one.
    75 in in 60 isnt slightly if it was 65 thats slightly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Alan260279

How far away can the go safe van catch you at any ideas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Savage_Henry

Alan260279 wrote: »
    How far away can the go safe van catch you at any ideas

Fairly close

Advertisement