Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed cameras in Ireland - a guide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 AiMSc

Thanks guys, I hope its ok😂. Reason I'm more alarmed or on edge is because a 21 year old with a speeding conviction is like the worst crime possible when it comes to insurance here. Tbf the place hes now sitting at is new and hes catching quite alot so I'm hoping it was the gang behind he was flashing at. I always assumed they only flashed the offender for identification but as yous said its everyone so I hope I'm ok.
    Thanks!
    Jack

• Registered Users Posts: 13,551 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

You're welcome. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,927 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I've seen a trend where quite a few vehicles are installing a bright strip of lights on grill either right above or below the registration plate.
    I'm presuming their purpose is to dazzle the go safe camera and that the go safe can see right through them.
    ford-ranger-everest-lower-grill-light-bar-mounting-bracket-mk2-brkranger-grill-low-by-stedi-zzzzzcolor-wwwwwproduct-colorwwwww-ed8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,551 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Not sure how effective it would be, as their cameras shoot IR pictures, not visible part of spectrum. :cool:

Ive never been caught and never knew they flashed everyone regardless of speeding or offence or not but I'd say the cameras they have will probably automatically adjust to tone down the light and adjust the shutter accordingly to disallow the amount of light being transmitted like a light balance on a DSLR. Not sure though but newer cars have LED headlights which are very bright so would it be the same principle that it would adjust to those as it would to an LED light bar albeit that's alot brighter?

• Advertisement

Btw @joujoujou theres the flash I got or what my camera picked up just. It appears i can't find a way of uploading the image from the dash cam to here. But I'll take your word for it that everyone is flashed regardless if they offended or not and that I wasn't over the speed limit in order to relieve myself of stress and worry :).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Luap

Passed an unmarked car with the guard sitting in the drivers seat with the speed gun - looked a bit more bulkier then the hairdryer. Was probably doing 108 in a 100 but didn't pull me over. Should I expect points in the post?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,927 ✭✭✭✭flazio

It's a possibility, but not a certainty.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Luap wrote: »
    Passed an unmarked car with the guard sitting in the drivers seat with the speed gun - looked a bit more bulkier then the hairdryer. Was probably doing 108 in a 100 but didn't pull me over. Should I expect points in the post?

No, you are free and clear.
    flazio wrote: »
    It's a possibility, but not a certainty.

They most certainly won't be getting a letter in the post.
    flazio wrote: »
    I've seen a trend where quite a few vehicles are installing a bright strip of lights on grill either right above or below the registration plate.
    I'm presuming their purpose is to dazzle the go safe camera and that the go safe can see right through them.

Won't have any impact at all. The camera in the GoSafe vans is really good at adjusting for light in all conditions. There is a YouTube video demonstrating it in action. Likewise, as the other poster noted, the camera is a much larger spectrum and captures a good deal of IR. Either way, they can make our your plate.

@ironclaw It was noted by another user that these camera produce an IR flash that can be seen by dashcams/videos. Does it flash for all cars regardless of the target being an offender? As from reading your previous posts you've good knowledge on the topic! I was just worried as I passed one and it flashed on the dashcam but whilst I was nearly along side the van. I wasnt speeding as the dashcam GPS measured 27 mph whilst the car speedometer wouldve been slightly under 30mph, or in this case 44km/h in a 50km/h if converted.
    One more question, is there a such thing as leniency %? I always wondered was there any as I've never been caught before for traffic violations and just wanted to know do they even give any as I never thought they did.
    Thanks
    Jack

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,085 ✭✭✭mikeecho

I wonder does this actually work

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

mikeecho wrote: »

dont forget if u have this on the car & If it did work you would be fined for it.cause the garda anpr Camera might not be able to read your reg & they would pull you over then.

AiMSc wrote: »
    @ironclaw It was noted by another user that these camera produce an IR flash that can be seen by dashcams/videos. Does it flash for all cars regardless of the target being an offender?

There is another poster with more knowledge of the current operating procedures, but my understanding is that every car is photographed, only those speeding are retained. So yes, you would get a flash for each car. Unlike older systems, it is actually a continuous video stream and frames from that are used to produce the images.
    One more question, is there a such thing as leniency %?

Again, I'll defer to the poster who has better knowledge of current procedures. My understanding is that there is but it's very small, again remembering that your speed is likely reading over your actual speed. So if you got caught at 63km/h, your speedo would be showing well over 65 etc.

My understanding is they don't. It's an IR cut filter, you can buy one from a good photography source. It's stopping any reflection in the IR spectrum off the reflective plate. The issue is how well it cuts IR light and how wide a spectrum it covers. Sharp filters are very hard to make, even more so for light.

The camera in this video is likely a fairly standard CCTV camera that is having it's IR filter applied and removed. It would be sensitive to near IR, around 700nm and up.

Whilst you may have removed some of IR light, assuming you got a wide enough spectrum (Remember, visible and UV light are below IR) some basic adjustments of the frame would bring up the plate, at least to the point where you could read the missing digits. You would also have some leakage as the filter won't cut all the IR, so you will still get a reflection. I'm fairly sure Redflex has a video online of them doing this and proving these don't work.

I'd bet decent money it doesn't work and even if it did, the rap you would get if it did catch attention would be multiples of the fine you would be avoiding.

Ok thanks @ironclaw! Just thought it was only me getting flashed that put me under the illusion I had been caught speeding when I wasn't!
    Jack

ironclaw wrote: »
    ..... I'm fairly sure Redflex has a video online of them doing this and proving these don't work.

I'd be very interested in viewing that video, if you could find a link.

ironclaw wrote: »
    ......I'd bet decent money ..... the rap you would get if it did catch attention would be multiples of the fine you would be avoiding.

I'll take you up on that bet.

There's a loop hole regarding licence plates.. you should be offered an FCPN before a summons.
    Just try and find out what the FCPN fine is for number plate irregularities.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,921 ✭✭✭kirving

I would too. The missing link to all this is the IR Flash, which in order to not blind the driver is well into the IR band, and so a filter does not necessarily have to be a sharp cutoff, it just has to block the IR flash. Of course this would only work at night.

IR filters are widely available, in glass and plastic, but many aren't 100% optically clear to visible light, and finding film that is, and large enough to cover a plate is more of a logistical/cost problem than anything else. Most are for photography and quite small, and larger type stuff for heat retention in buildings is difficult to but in small quantities.

Looks to me like the companies manufacturing these have sourced the correct stuff at a cost and are passing on that cost. Given a fixed set of circumstances, it likely works, but in dusk time, they can just swap over to the visible light camera and boost the brightness.

The cleanest way I can think to do it, is to use IR transmissive ink or thin sheet to make the letters on the plate. (Source: I develop manufacturing and test systems for IR cameras.)

I can't find the link, but there was a reg plate company in the UK who were "inadvertently" (lol) making plates that could not be read by cameras at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,560 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

I'd be very interested in viewing that video, if you could find a link.

There's a loop hole regarding licence plates.. you should be offered an FCPN before a summons.
    Just try and find out what the FCPN fine is for number plate irregularities.

There's no FCPN for a reg plate offence, it's a straight summons.

Witcher wrote: »
    There's no FCPN for a reg plate offence, it's a straight summons.

By virtue of Sections 34(2)(ii) RTA 2010 an offence under Section 139 of the Finance Act 1992 (relating to vehicle licence plates) is a fixed charge offence. Where a Section 139 offence is being prosecuted, the accused person should have the opportunity to dispose of the matter by way of a fixed charge notice payment.

And you're correct.. there is no FCPN for a reg plate offence.

Do you see the conundrum..

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Spearmint Polo

Searched back a few months and couldn’t find an answer so I’ll post it just incase it’s changed since before then!

I was in a town centre today with a clear road ahead of us coming up to a junction with the light green, put the foot down a little bit more than I should have just incase I didn’t make the lights, as I went through them I noticed a go safe van on my side of the road about 75-100m ahead of me, I was definitely over the limit at this stage but a car pulled out of the slip lane ahead of me so I used my breaks.

I was well under the limit 20-30m away from the van and passing it, never have gotten a speeding fine before and it’s my own stupid fault if I get one for today but just looking for peoples experiences on the range variation of the cameras? Would you think I’ll get a fine or escape it?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭blackis200

Searched back a few months and couldn’t find an answer so I’ll post it just incase it’s changed since before then!

I was in a town centre today with a clear road ahead of us coming up to a junction with the light green, put the foot down a little bit more than I should have just incase I didn’t make the lights, as I went through them I noticed a go safe van on my side of the road about 75-100m ahead of me, I was definitely over the limit at this stage but a car pulled out of the slip lane ahead of me so I used my breaks.

I was well under the limit 20-30m away from the van and passing it, never have gotten a speeding fine before and it’s my own stupid fault if I get one for today but just looking for peoples experiences on the range variation of the cameras? Would you think I’ll get a fine or escape it?

Thanks.

Talk to your cousin in Canada about the speeding ticket they got on a recent trip to Ireland.
    Your cousin can pay the fine but the Caribbean licence won't get points.

• Advertisement

Thanks.

Going by the distances involved here, you are more than safe, especially if a car came between you and the van prior to you passing it. Adding to that if there was a set of lights between you and the van as well.

I'd sleep sound, I'd be 99% certain you won't hear a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

arleitiss wrote: »
    Would I've been clocked by speed van in this scenario? (Happened today, dumb mistake I know)

https://i.imgur.com/y1SMrHN.jpg

This was in 100 kph zone (I think, this is between exit 4 and 1 going towards M50 on N7)

Felt like everyone is going very slow and nobody was behind me in next 2 lanes (2 and 3) so I accelerated to 110-120 (depends on speedometer accuracy but I know mine is -5 kph from checking previously by GPS measurement).

There was lots of cars in lane 1 and 2 but in between them I saw speed van, I was definitely at least 10-15 kph over limit.

Do speed vans take shots from behind too? So if they spot car in between cars/traffic - would they just lock onto it and take number plate from behind?

P.S - If I get fine that's fine, it's deserved not arguing there, dumb mistake and I got caught.

It's been 2 months, I haven't received a fine (somehow).
    I guess I am okay?

My biggest fear is they couldn't track me down and there will be some sort of warrant out for me.

-Got (assuming) clocked by speed van on 22th of May (110-120 in 100 zone)
    -Motortax.ie has my latest address
    -Drivers license is registered 3 addresses behind
    -Insurance is registered in current address.

Safe to assume I am ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,740 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

arleitiss wrote: »
    It's been 2 months, I haven't received a fine (somehow).
    I guess I am okay?

My biggest fear is they couldn't track me down and there will be some sort of warrant out for me.

-Got (assuming) clocked by speed van on 22th of May (110-120 in 100 zone)
    -Motortax.ie has my latest address
    -Drivers license is registered 3 addresses behind
    -Insurance is registered in current address.

Safe to assume I am ok?

It sounds like you got away with it. If there were cars between you and the van that's probably why.

I wouldn't worry about it going to the wrong address either. If motortax.ie is up-to-date that's what they'll use.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    It sounds like you got away with it. If there were cars between you and the van that's probably why.

I wouldn't worry about it going to the wrong address either. If motortax.ie is up-to-date that's what they'll use.

You are innocent. You did nothing wrong and the revenue won't be gouging money from you.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

blackis200 wrote: »
    You are innocent. You did nothing wrong and the revenue won't be gouging money from you.
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,398 ✭✭✭irishgeo

has anyone else noticed a yellow dotted line that is a spray mark on or near the side of the road at all locations that the go safe vans now parks at, Its usually on or near the edge of the road.

Seems to be a calibration line or something. Its been at every go safe location i have passed in the last while in the mayo/galway area.

very handy for getting the new areas for the van.

Is it the same elsewhere?

Might be nice to map them all. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,839 ✭✭✭jeffk

On the way back from Navan to Dublin and not long after the speed camera sign on the R147 there was a guarda car pulled into the entrance of a house or that with a camera out the window. Near or at a place called Lissadell Lodge

Unusual as not far from where there nearly always is a van parked

jeffk wrote: »
    On the way back from Navan to Dublin and not long after the speed camera sign on the R147 there was a guarda car pulled into the entrance of a house or that with a camera out the window. Near or at a place called Lissadell Lodge

This is nearly every day now. Its 80 zone.
    A guy passed me out on Friday morning and got caught straight away.
    On friday morning g, there were 3 speed traps between Blanchardstown and Navan.

• Advertisement

Advertisement