Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Henry - February 1st, 2016

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

Wouldent have to go far to experince hurricane force winds. Looks like the Isle of Harris and North and South Uist right in the firing line of such winds.

iBajtHP.gif

Does that chart show maximum gusts, or sustained speeds?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

seems a huge anticlimax so far. found it quite warm in dublin,well mild compared to yesterday which was a normal day with no name assigned to it

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

andrew wrote: »
    Does that chart show maximum gusts, or sustained speeds?

Gusts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭squarecircles

seems a huge anticlimax so far. found it quite warm in dublin,well mild compared to yesterday which was a normal day with no name assigned to it

The warning is for tonight and tomorrow,for wind,not temperature.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

It is not due till 10 pm tonight with the strongest winds tomorrow, forecasts for a few days now had mentioned today was going to be mild for the whole country.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Mean wind speeds

1UUeUhi.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Horrid Henry looks even worse on the latest model forecast especially for Scotland

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Can I guess it in 3...

1) Troll
    2) Hungover and bored
    3) the thing on a door handle or common saying for a small measurement of butter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Not expecting it to be too bad here in Galway nothing more than what we usually get Scotland is where the proper Storm will be...

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭P.lane78

when is Imogen arriving ....Wednesday at the rate we are going :eek::eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

sparrowcar wrote: »
    Can I guess it in 3...

1) Troll
    2) Hungover and bored
    3) the thing on a door handle or common saying for a small measurement of butter

Calling other contributors Trolls etc. on-thread is not on.
    Play the ball & not the man please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Pretty good chance of Storm Zebedee at this rate!

zebedee2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Lumi wrote: »
    Calling other contributors Trolls etc. on-thread is not on.
    Play the ball & not the man please

I'm here long enough I should know better, just frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭howlinwolf

Think it might be a good idea to modify the thread title and go along with met.ie warning, level 2 for west and north and level 1 for the rest of the country. We have enough people cribbing and moaning about a non event already. just a thought:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,106 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

howlinwolf wrote: »
    Think it might be a good idea to modify the thread title and go along with met.ie warning, level 2 for west and north and level 1 for the rest of the country. We have enough people cribbing and moaning about a non event already. just a thought:rolleyes:

Hmm, that's an idea although I don't think the site has that ability. Maybe just put it in the OP.

It happens every event though, here in West Clare the bins would be blown over, items missing from the garden and noises like the roof was going to come off, when someone from the midlands who didn't get the same wind as Loop Head comes in and screams that it was a non-event. Anyway we have to deal with it :P The issue has lessened since last year so lets be happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭howlinwolf

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Hmm, that's an idea although I don't think the site has that ability. Maybe just put it in the OP.

It happens every event though, here in West Clare the bins would be blown over, items missing from the garden and noises like the roof was going to come off, when someone from the midlands who didn't get the same wind as Loop Head comes in and screams that it was a non-event. Anyway we have to deal with it :P The issue has lessened since last year so lets be happy with that.

Yeah I know what you mean, I'm in the southeast and we rarely get the winds that are mentioned, unlike the northwest. For a small country the weather can vary greatly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

is level 1 the best or the worst?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭seanin4711

lining up to be christened!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

On the weather after the news the Orange alert covered from Cork to Donegal, she showed it on the chart with the areas affected in Orange so its not just a West / North warning

is level 1 the best or the worst?

Level 1 = Yellow (Least Severe)
    Level 2 = Orange
    Level 3 = Red (Most Severe)

The definition of best and worst is a personal thing as to how much you like the weather :P Personally I would rate a Level 3 Snow/Ice warning as the best.:D

• Advertisement

well Henry just knocked out my phone line ....and it hasn't even started yet :eek:

sorry fell for the mortal sin ....im just outside cork city ...200 asl

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

P.lane78 wrote: »
    well Henry just knocked out my phone line ....and it hasn't even started yet :eek:

Where are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Roll on Henry, so we can be done with you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Think it might be a good idea to modify the thread title
    Done

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

I'm expecting a repeat of Gerty here in the South East when the Max gust at my station was 60km/h. Wxsim forecast software on my site is predicting around the same so I'll go with that. Different story in the NW I would say with event status in that area.

www.waterfordcityweather.com

The main difference between this and Gertrude is the length of time the storm will be here for.

Storm Gertrude's warning was active for 9 hours.
    Storm Henry's warning will be active for 26 hours. (Starting in 1hr 40mins!)

what level of rain will Henry offer up...sorry if this was posted all ready

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Very little thankfully

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

We Dubs seem to escape the storms mostly even out north county. Not long back from walking the wolves and they were most reluctant to go out at all and were using my legs as shelter. Hopefully no-one gets hit too badly.

• Advertisement

As above, very little.
    Below warning level, mostly showers.

Advertisement