Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off Topic Thread 4.0

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭kuang1

Will be leaving by then. Pity! Thanks though.

If you're still there then The Reg has a nice selection of stuff too.

awec wrote: »
    You're from Waterford? How come you support Leinster?

That's not the first time that mistake has been made!!

What am I putting out there to confuse things?!

Munster me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

kuang1 wrote: »
    That's not the first time that mistake has been made!!

What am I putting out there to confuse things?!

Munster me.

Awec is the only confused, an Ulster fan who’s a Leinster season ticket holder. Everyone else could tell you’re a Munster fan.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

stephen_n wrote: »
    Awec is the only confused, an Ulster fan who’s a Leinster season ticket holder. Everyone else could tell you’re a Munster fan.

I'm worse again 🀣 My defence is that I knew nothing about rugby until I came to Dublin. Growing up in Donegal and Cavan, rugby just wasn't on the radar at all.

dregin wrote: »
    I'm worse again �� My defence is that I knew nothing about rugby until I came to Dublin. Growing up in Donegal and Cavan, rugby just wasn't on the radar at all.

Well at least you have an excuse so, better late than never. I went to a rugby school, was the only sport I ever really played or followed. School, club, Leinster and Ireland.

• Advertisement

Sometimes you’d have to wonder what goes through people’s heads. Dj’ing at the after party for a christening and the baby is still here. Start as you mean to go on I guess.

Sometimes you’d have to wonder what goes through people’s heads. Dj’ing at the after party for a christening and the baby is still here. Start as you mean to go on I guess.

Lol.
    Little Britain family who won the lotto...

Edit: Nope I'm wrong. Twas Harry Enfield and chums. Wayne and Waynetta slob.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Who would be in for an NFL fantasy football league?

Bump

Drop me a PM if interested. Scrubs and podge I have ye down already! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Disappointed that McIlroy couldn't win the open. He seems diminished these past couple of years. Seems like his game is not 100%. Putting problems one week and out of sorts the next.
    Would love to see him string a couple of wins before the year is out.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Dubinusa wrote: »
    Disappointed that McIlroy couldn't win the open. He seems diminished these past couple of years. Seems like his game is not 100%. Putting problems one week and out of sorts the next.
    Would love to see him string a couple of wins before the year is out.

I thought he was excellent at The Open. Played really well and was the only guy who was under par every day. That was a tough course. He still has issues but he was far more comfortable.

I doubt he'll ever get to where we thought he might at one stage but I wouldn't be surprised to see him pick up another few majors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Buer wrote: »
    I thought he was excellent at The Open. Played really well and was the only guy who was under par every day. That was a tough course. He still has issues but he was far more comfortable.

I doubt he'll ever get to where we thought he might at one stage but I wouldn't be surprised to see him pick up another few majors.
    I just want to see him get past Nick Faldo. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Did my first day of rugby union pre season in about ten years there tonight. Pretty tired. Shout out to Swiwi and one or two others for passively convincing me it was a good idea. If I keep with it I'll update ya'll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭swiwi_

errlloyd wrote: »
    Did my first day of rugby union pre season in about ten years there tonight. Pretty tired. Shout out to Swiwi and one or two others for passively convincing me it was a good idea. If I keep with it I'll update ya'll.

Ha! I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Our training starts again in 2 weeks, which is only 2 months since the last one finished, although we did take a break during the middle of winter.

Make sure you don't go too intense too fast. As noted previously, I got shoulder and elbow bursitis, which is basically inflammation due to overuse. I'd also recommend the jerseys with at least shoulder protection. During the matches, go hard - Teferi was absolutely correct when he told me that if you try and avoid injury, you'll get injured.

Finally boots - I started the season with Nike soccer boots that I had in the closet, but finished with Puma boots, more designed for rugby, and they were notably better.

What position are you going to play? After a season mostly on the wing, the coaches seemed like me at 13, so I'll probably try and nail that, given we have an abundance of wings and fullbacks in the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Going back in a few weeks myself. After close to a 10 year hiatus too.

Who are you playing with? How much more does it hurt now? :D

swiwi_ wrote: »

Make sure you don't go too intense too fast. As noted previously, I got shoulder and elbow bursitis, which is basically inflammation due to overuse. I'd also recommend the jerseys with at least shoulder protection.

You’re a back right? I’d say it’s a fair assumption given the shoulder pad comment, though I’m pretty sure you said you were playing there. Did you get bursitis from flicking your hair?

You’re a back right? I’d say it’s a fair assumption given the shoulder pad comment, though I’m pretty sure you said you were playing there. Did you get bursitis from flicking your hair?

Yeah a back. And yip from flicking my hair as I flew past fat forwards towards the try line :)

Yeah a back. And yip from flicking my hair as I flew past fat forwards towards the try line :)

How many tries did you score? ;)

Make sure you don't go too intense too fast. As noted previously, I got shoulder and elbow bursitis, which is basically inflammation due to overuse. I'd also recommend the jerseys with at least shoulder protection. During the matches, go hard - Teferi was absolutely correct when he told me that if you try and avoid injury, you'll get injured.

Finally boots - I started the season with Nike soccer boots that I had in the closet, but finished with Puma boots, more designed for rugby, and they were notably better.

What position are you going to play? After a season mostly on the wing, the coaches seemed like me at 13, so I'll probably try and nail that, given we have an abundance of wings and fullbacks in the team.

Definitely won't be going too fast into it. But I'll have to build some tackling confidence quickly to avoid injury I reckon. Yesterday we were doing a ball placement drills, and I quickly realised I can't even remember how to fall properly.

In terms of boots I've always picked rugby boots to play tag, and I've been playing tag years. So I've two pairs of Adidas Preds, Firm Ground and Soft Ground. The FG ones are the style outside backs are supposed to wear, and the SG ones are the kicking boots that halfbacks are supposed to wear.

I think I'll follow your path in terms of position, wing and then in. As I said loads of tag means my passing and running with the ball is good so as soon as I learn to tackle I think I'll be handy enough in the centres. I'm 6'2 and about 91Kg, and quick, but not lightening fast. I know running lines and stuff won't translate between the sports, but I back myself to pick that up fast. My fear is probably that I am one of the taller lads who was at training, and I've no desire to be a forward. :D
    Going back in a few weeks myself. After close to a 10 year hiatus too.

Who are you playing with? How much more does it hurt now? :D

I went to preseason with CYM Terenure, a friend was willing to give me a lift and it's not far from where I live. They play in Metro 5 and Metro 11 so the level should be about right.

In terms of pain, it hurts like a gym session, but that's basically all it was! A few skills a lot of sprints, push ups, and other grimness!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,036 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Tell the truth. You hurt your arm and shoulder by being a bit too enthusiastic shampooing your mane after a match.

Or was it doing some ridiculous dance to celebrate a try?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,837 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

How many tries did you score? ;)

one.....

anyone who flicks his hair past a "fat forward" as he scores a try... doesnt stay on the pitch very long :P

• Advertisement

Tennis players rarely get busted with ped's?
    Sharapova is the only one I can think of.

Discrimination against what? Success?

She's been tested something like 4 times as much as the next most tested pro Tennis player in America over the last 10 years.

I guess she gets a lot of online hate for the masculinity of her features, I have one facebook friend who lives posting about the "williams brothers conspiracy" so that insecurity probably makes her think she's been tested because of what she looks and sounds like rather than anything else.

If I was her I'd be pretty delighted. I reckon she's probably the best sportsperson in the world or pretty close to it. Dominance of an ultra competitive sport for a long time. With all the drugs testing, she's also completely untouchable in terms of fairness.

I don't exactly feel bad for her. Federer is tested a huge amount. 7 times in June according to himself. It comes with the territory.

If you're making literally tens of millions from a sport, a 10 minute test multiple times throughout the year is hardly something to complain about. When you are the best and continue to be the best well into your late thirties it's simply going to be normal to give that person added focus.
    With all the drugs testing, she's also completely untouchable in terms of fairness.

I don't think anyone is untouchable due to the number of times they're tested. Marion Jones and Lance Armstrong passed hundreds of tests despite being arguably the two highest profile dopers this century. Williams has several TUEs in the past and the bizarre situation when she called police on a tester who called to her house for a spot check, accusing him of being a burglar, raised a lot of eyebrows.

I don't think anyone is untouchable due to the number of times they're tested. Marion Jones and Lance Armstrong passed hundreds of tests despite being arguably the two highest profile dopers this century. Williams has several TUEs in the past and the bizarre situation when she called police on a tester who called to her house for a spot check, accusing him of being a burglar, raised a lot of eyebrows.

I think he appeared at her house 12 hours outside the approved testing window while she was out, he got let in by someone and insisted on staying there till she arrived. It would be weird if USADA who are so proper on paperwork to have some lad come hours outside the window, so I think she thought he was just some lad who managed to talk his way into her gaf pretending to be a drugs tester.

Interesting as the conversation is, I posted that tweet because of the hashtag. #StayPositive isn't what she should be lookng for. #StayNegative would have been more appropriate. :)

I think he appeared at her house 12 hours outside the approved testing window while she was out, he got let in by someone and insisted on staying there till she arrived. It would be weird if USADA who are so proper on paperwork to have some lad come hours outside the window, so I think she thought he was just some lad who managed to talk his way into her gaf pretending to be a drugs tester.

Two different occasions.

Definitely won't be going too fast into it. But I'll have to build some tackling confidence quickly to avoid injury I reckon. Yesterday we were doing a ball placement drills, and I quickly realised I can't even remember how to fall properly.

Make sure you tackle with the correct shoulder: eg if the lad is running towards you on your right side, it's your right shoulder to his right side (ie your head on the outside) - if you use the left shoulder (ie your head across his body) you risk head injury :( + trapped under the tackle/ruck and penalty for not rolling away :( As I noted previously watch Josh VDF.

If the guys are big units, you are better not to tackle them front on, but rather from the side as they pass you by.

Fitness should pick up quickly, I was waaay fitter by season's end, not that that is saying much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

My office is 50 yards from where the Flaming Lips have been warming up for their gig tonight. Bass rocking the windows. Playing snippets of songs in the rain. All obscure stuff that no one ever heard, plus throwing in stuff like the ET theme tune. Very hipster.

.ak would only love it...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,036 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Zzippy wrote: »
    My office is 50 yards from where the Flaming Lips have been warming up for their gig tonight. Bass rocking the windows. Playing snippets of songs in the rain. All obscure stuff that no one ever heard, plus throwing in stuff like the ET theme tune. Very hipster.

.ak would only love it...

He only likes DJs who play obscure crap no one has heard of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

That sounds unreal to me!

• Subscribers Posts: 41,837 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Love the flaming lips!

Blast from the past are the lips.

I couldn't go despite free tickets, but heard the gig was awesome. And that was from a 60yo colleague who had never heard of them before...
    Might pop in to Madness tonight. 24/25 years since I saw them live in the rain in Thurles...

• Advertisement

My rugby team got 4 lads selected for the Swiss A team (not me :()

Great for them...but more of a reflection on the level of Swiss rugby TBH. Probably a heap of lads on here could have international aspirations if they moved to these sort of countries in Europe...

I never get over French formality. HR just sent me out a new contract, with a covering letter.

Sir,

We allow ourselves the liberty to present to you, attached, 2 copies of a new contract which will take effect from the 1st February 2019, following changes to the regulations concerning the status of your position.

Would you be so kind as return to us a copy of the aforementioned document, duly dated and signed by your proper hand.

In case of any questions, you may contact the signatory below.

In the expectation of hearing from your shortly, we take the opportunity afforded by this correspondence to thank you for your valuable collaboration and present you, Sir, with our cordial greetings.

If this was NZ.

Dear Swiwi,

Please find attached a copy of your new contract. Could you sign it and get it back to us.

Cheers,
    HR

PS: See you at the BBQ and beers on Friday

I never get over French formality. HR just sent me out a new contract, with a covering letter.

Sir,

We allow ourselves the liberty to present to you, attached, 2 copies of a new contract which will take effect from the 1st February 2019, following changes to the regulations concerning the status of your position.

Would you be so kind as return to us a copy of the aforementioned document, duly dated and signed by your proper hand.

In case of any questions, you may contact the signatory below.

In the expectation of hearing from your shortly, we take the opportunity afforded by this correspondence to thank you for your valuable collaboration and present you, Sir, with our cordial greetings.

If this was NZ.

Dear Swiwi,

Please find attached a copy of your new contract. Could you sign it and get it back to us.

Cheers,
    HR

PS: See you at the BBQ and beers on Friday

Both approaches have merit. Moving jobs can be a big deal, sometimes a bit of ceremony around it can be well received.

Anyway - back to you being a project player. If you end up playing for the Swiss it would be great, you barely need to change your forum name.

Swiswi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Both approaches have merit. Moving jobs can be a big deal, sometimes a bit of ceremony around it can be well received.

Anyway - back to you being a project player. If you end up playing for the Swiss it would be great, you barely need to change your forum name.

Swiswi.

Venjur = JB from Eggchasers. Confirmed.

Another epic game of championship hurling today.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 54,091 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Another epic game of championship hurling today.
    Cracking game. Thought Clare were going to get pumped after the first 20 minutes.

Cracking game. Thought Clare were going to get pumped after the first 20 minutes.

It's ridiculous how many close and exciting games there have been this year. I'm going tomorrow and I expect similar.

• Administrators Posts: 54,091 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Far better than the football anyway, a competition to see who gets the pleasure of getting beaten by Dublin in the final.

Far better than the football anyway, a competition to see who gets the pleasure of getting beaten by Dublin in the final.

Bit like the Pro14 then... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Important life advice.

Do all your holidaying during rugby offseason and you’ll feel like they last forever

Anyone familiar with Goatstown? Trying to figure out what this lump of land is/was. It's completely sealed off with boulders across the sealed gate on the goatstown road.

goatstown.png

Google maps: https://goo.gl/maps/JaU6Wo2oFEL2

Anyone familiar with Goatstown? Trying to figure out what this lump of land is/was. It's completely sealed off with boulders across the sealed gate on the goatstown road.

goatstown.png

Google maps: https://goo.gl/maps/JaU6Wo2oFEL2

It was the sports club for Irish Glass Bottle. It probably belongs to NAMA, as it would have formed part of the lands bought in Ringsend.

It was the sports club for Irish Glass Bottle. It probably belongs to NAMA, as it would have formed part of the lands bought in Ringsend.
    Balls, so it could very easily turn into blocks of apartments...

Balls, so it could very easily turn into blocks of apartments...

I’m amazed it hasn’t already

Hurling.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement