Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 4.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

awec wrote: »
    Imagine being the person who parked their car on the Luas track at Jervis today, and delayed the Luas for 20 minutes. :pac:

Hope they got slapped with a fine for it tbh, such a stupid place to park. Even one of the loading bays all along abbey street would've been better than on the clear and obvious Luas track

• Registered Users Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Imagine being the person who parked their car on the Luas track at Jervis today, and delayed the Luas for 20 minutes. :pac:

Can you imagine how hot that tram got. No ventilation because its not moving. Doors aren't opening. Definitely absolutely packed.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,988 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

My local FF-head certainly voted against the referendum happening. Won’t be letting him forget that!

21 FF TDs in total voted against. Surely won’t be allowed forget that.

Nah Fianna Fail actually played this referendum masterfully, imo. Their leader publicly supported repeal, yet let a division within the party campaign in their constituencies for a No vote. They will therefore preserve support for their TDs in more conservative regions, while still being able to present themselves as a progressive party that supports women's rights. The chameleon lives!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Declan Ganley on Twitter is an utter joy to read this week. :D

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

molloyjh wrote: »
    Declan Ganley on Twitter is an utter joy to read this week. :D

Who is that guy? I recognise the name I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,015 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Libertas :D

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Libertas :D

Ah it was him and that other one McGuirk

Right-wing not-politician politician and business man.

Basically he's the guy who led the charge of lies and misinformation against the Lisbon Treaty. Promised never to make his Libertas organisation a political party before entering himself and the organisation into EU Parliamentary elections after Lisbon (that he then claimed were rigged and demanded a recount when they got close to no support at all). And is now looking for a conscientious objector opt-out to paying all of his taxes, saying he will not allow his taxes to fund abortions and would die before it happens. I'm sure he payed a role in the No campaign too, but I've no idea what as I avoided all that stuff like the plague. Either way, his reaction has been amusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Digital temperature reading on the van was a positively balmy 35 this afternoon!!
    Tis grand weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Just walked home in the sun, lovely day.

Thoughts go out to those unfortunate souls (who have made bad life choices) who drive in and out, whose temperature gauges are higher than their speedometer!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭swiwi_

The Irish lads needs to do one of these. Looking at that touring squad, and Tadgh would pose the most problem for the Aussies. You're going to get Tad and Tag.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭MaybeMaybe

Piri Weepu has had a fair few pies.

MaybeMaybe wrote: »
    Piri Weepu has had a fair few pies.

Judging by the number of boardsies with kids on the way he's not the only one...

Judging by the number of boardsies with kids on the way he's not the only one...

:eek:

:eek:

Yeah, I wondered if that went a bit far.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Yeah, I wondered if that went a bit far.

I approve.

I don't get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Just saw Solo. Not great at all. The weakest by a long way of the Disney releases

Synode wrote: »
    Just saw Solo. Not great at all. The weakest by a long way of the Disney releases

I thought The Force Awakens was ok, it looked great and was fun in parts but was disappointing on repeat viewing. After that I though Rogue One was very average and quite disjointed and The last Jedi was a poor movie.

If this is worse again then it must be fairly dire.

What you talkin bout. Rogue One and The Last Jedi are class. I've watched them all with my two kids and they loved them too. But they didn't like Solo either

• Advertisement

Synode wrote: »
    What you talkin bout. Rogue One and The Last Jedi are class. I've watched them all with my two kids and they loved them too. But they didn't like Solo either

Rogue One was good. The Last Jedi had some good parts but the overall story has killed the franchise for me. Got Lukes character all wrong and the key turning point in Bens storyline made absolutely no sense as a result. If that was nonsense then everything that comes after it is too.

Also, when did Leia join the Gardians of the Galaxy? Because that scene was wrong in so many ways. And why is the Force suddenly like the Matrix, with corresponding light and dark growing in power alongside each other? That didn’t happen in any other Star Wars story ever. Nah, The Last Jedi was a total disaster overall IMO. If Solo is worse then I’m very worried for the future of a franchise that offered so much.

The Last Jedi was good for me. I really, really enjoyed Rogue One. Haven't seen the new one. The issues I had with the last one melted away pretty quickly when I thought about them and heard some explanations from a couple of friends who are super into that stuff.

It's a weird thing where I really like those movies but I don't have any interest in getting wound up about them like some people seem to. The reaction on twitter from the hardcore people was just beyond bizarre to me. Can't understand it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I very much enjoyed Force Awakens but though The Last Jedi was a jumbled mess of a movie with painfully obvious writing (I despise the trope of the last second intervention).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭PetKing

Rogue One was very enjoyable for me. Broke with the standard convention of star wars movies. It surprised me.

The Last Jedi was good for me. I really, really enjoyed Rogue One. Haven't seen the new one. The issues I had with the last one melted away pretty quickly when I thought about them and heard some explanations from a couple of friends who are super into that stuff.

It's a weird thing where I really like those movies but I don't have any interest in getting wound up about them like some people seem to. The reaction on twitter from the hardcore people was just beyond bizarre to me. Can't understand it.

Yeah, it’s only a movie. I’d be pretty into Star Wars generally and did find The Last Jedi to have crapped all over the series a bit, but I’ve no idea why that would promote a reaction above and beyond disappointment.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I very much enjoyed Force Awakens but though The Last Jedi was a jumbled mess of a movie with painfully obvious writing (I despise the trope of the last second intervention).

Yep. Plus there was an entire storyline that was utterly redundant. It really showed that there was no wider direction to the trilogy and each director/writer could come in and totally change direction on things if they felt like it. Not only was the film a bit of a mess, but it made a mess of the trilogy too.

I'm the same. I even like the prequels. As soon as I start watching anything Star Wars I'm like a child.

My main problem with the new one was
    the really poor lighting for the first 30 minutes or so and just the overall dullness of it. My two kids were very disappointed that there's no major battle scene in it either like all the other movies

Surprised how popular Rogue One is. I thought it was a wasted opportunity personally and ended up firmly in the 'ok' category. It certainly had some spectacular moments and enjoyable scenes but it fell foul of the usual 'characters making poor decisions to advance the story' trope and I didn't think the various acts tied together in anyway consummately.
    The issues I had with the last one melted away pretty quickly when I thought about them and heard some explanations from a couple of friends who are super into that stuff.

I'm probably as big of a star wars nerd as your mates, I've read most of the expanded universe books as a kid, I've played most of the games and am very familiar with the current and previous lore.

The last Jedi was a spectacular mess. Nothing at all in the wider universe does anything more than give context to certain and relatively minor elements of the story. They certainly don't explain the huge plot holes nor do they help the audience understand the motives and decision making of key characters. It was the point where Star Wars became all style and avirtually no substance.

There's plot holes in all the films though. I suspend all belief when going into watch a Star Wars movie

• Advertisement

Says a lot that I haven't bothered to go see Solo yet and have no plans to. I saw everything since Force Awakens as soon as they came out. I loved Force Awakens at first, I really didn't want it to be terrible and it wasn't. I felt like a child again. Each film since then has been a muddled mess. If Rogue One was a story that didn't need to be told, why would I bother with a solo prequel. I can't stand yer wan from Game of Thrones either. I'll see the last episode in this trilogy but I finding it hard to care anymore. Star Wars has fallen off.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement