Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Last Word

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,062 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I used to like Marion McKeon over Cal when they discussed US stuff, time was he was the one spouting outrageous statements against obama, etc. Now, they've gone completely the other way, herself and matt are complete doses around anything to do with trump, making seem relatively benign and centred.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,023 ✭✭✭applehunter

You should read her in the Sunday Business Post.

She is a democrat shill.

Of course she is then brought on Marian Finnucane's show as an objective observer.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,133 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Anyone heard the latest promo for TLW on TodayFM?

The one where there's little clips of Matt making short statements, and which are meant to sound like they are taken from actual interviews on the show but in reality he just went into a studio and recorded them to make himself sound important?

Particularly cringeworthy is the "answer the question or I'll tell the listeners about the time you ...." and then it stops.

As if Cooper would ever say that to a guest.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Dr_serious2

Karl Deeter presenting and not fawning over liberal opinion. It's like listening to a different show.

Aoife Barry on again. She is more disgusted that people would shoot a picture of that wan who went off to ISIS than the fact the she supported ISIS

She is usually on complaining about how poor her generation are. Her 20 appearances a week must surely be making a dent in her expenses

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭TheDavester

Bring back the times people, not a fan of The Times but Jesus its better than Aoife Barry and the journal pc bores/perpetual victims and the latest attention seeking 3rd wave feminist

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,705 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Karl Deeter presenting and not fawning over liberal opinion. It's like listening to a different show.

Aoife Barry on again. She is more disgusted that people would shoot a picture of that wan who went off to ISIS than the fact the she supported ISIS

She is usually on complaining about how poor her generation are. Her 20 appearances a week must surely be making a dent in her expenses

Deeter's American twang was hard going, but he's definitely a no nonsense merchant.

I was just about to go over to Wilson or Yeats when John Duggan waddled on to do the sports segment.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

One of Roe's favourite John Candy film's was Cool Runnings.

How is that not a white saviour film like Green Book?

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭5555555555

Lol I wonder if John Waters or his lawyers were listening there

• Registered Users Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

5555555555 wrote: »

Surprised Matt let her continue after her first mention of Walters.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

She was so out of line there, John waters isn't even on twitter

• Advertisement

What was said?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

What was said?

She said John waters was spreading racism on twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    She said John waters was spreading racism on twitter

And that he was spreading his Islamaphobic views online and this could lead to a mass shooting in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

BPKS wrote: »
    And that he was spreading his Islamaphobic views online and this could lead to a mass shooting in Ireland.
    What guest/contributor was saying all this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Many people think they have to have an answer for everything all the time. Even though that answer can be wrong when any real thought is put into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Deiselurker

What guest/contributor was saying all this?

Leah Doherty I think from Leitrim/Roscommon against racism. She managed to go off on a tangent discussing the Rooskey hotel not now being used for asylum seekers. Matt tried to quieten her down after her John Waters and Islamophobia comments and talking about Christchurch shooting. I'd say she won't be on again if Today fm lawyers have any sense!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

So a full and unconditional apology from Matt first thing Monday. Followed by the same from Marian on Tuesday.
    And a pledge from both never to mention his name again

Trump-Russia inquiry: President 'did not conspire with Russia'
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-47688187

I wouldn't hold my breath......

Two contributors on discussing the idea of eating less meat.

Both vegetarians. What a lively debate that turned out to be.

The Last Word is taking the p*ss at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭5555555555

Two contributors on discussing the idea of eating less meat.

Both vegetarians. What a lively debate that turned out to be.

The Last Word is taking the p*ss at this stage.

Vegetarian sees no irony in having to supplement his sub standard diet with vitamins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

The objectivity-train left this station a long time ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

Cal Thomas on the show earlier today called Matt 'a chat show host'. He didn't pull him up on it either!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,487 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

They seem to have quietly dropped the dumbed down five at five/ six at six in favour of a traditional top of the hour news/sport bulletin. Not before time either. Now if they could have a look at the content of the rest of the show...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭TheDavester

They seem to have quietly dropped the dumbed down five at five/ six at six in favour of a traditional top of the hour news/sport bulletin. Not before time either. Now if they could have a look at the content of the rest of the show...

I thought that was because they wanted to give Susan Keogh airtime before she was moved upstairs to Newstalk

• Registered Users Posts: 14,367 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Had the misfortune to tune in yesterday while he was discussing the finale to GoT with two female guests. One of them was a bit more softly-spoken and measured enough, but the other one was absolute aural fcking torture to listen to and talked nothing but unadulterated drivel. And to top it all off she had a horrible tone to her voice that just reeked of opinionated, but ill-informed, self-importance. Jesus, I don't listen to the show that often, but is that the quality of contributor they frequently have on?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭robo

Arghus wrote: »
    Had the misfortune to tune in yesterday while he was discussing the finale to GoT with two female guests. One of them was a bit more softly-spoken and measured enough, but the other one was absolute aural fcking torture to listen to and talked nothing but unadulterated drivel. And to top it all off she had a horrible tone to her voice that just reeked of opinionated, but ill-informed, self-importance. Jesus, I don't listen to the show that often, but is that the quality of contributor they frequently have on?

I listen most days & the 20 minute TV slot (which I used to love when Ed Smith was a contributor) is THE worst part of my radio week. I just hate it now because it has gone from being informative about new TV shows or ones I missed to who can shout louder than the other & be more outraged the most about ficticous programmes #rantover

I just stopped listening to TLW in its entirety.

Catch the odd bit now and again, but would rarely sit down to listen to it.

To be honest, Matt turned me off the show as much as their quality contributors like Roe McDermott. He's insufferable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Arghus wrote:

I didn't hear that segment, but I can only guess it was Jennifer Gannon. An insufferable pain in the hole, who has me reaching for the "off" button whenever I hear her squall. I'd be willing to bet she didn't even watch GoT back when S1 and S2 were being aired, but only got into it recently when it went mainstream. The same clown admitted to not having seen The Wire or Breaking Bad before...some TV pundit she is!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭robo

I didn't hear that segment, but I can only guess it was Jennifer Gannon. An insufferable pain in the hole, who has me reaching for the "off" button whenever I hear her squall. I'd be willing to bet she didn't even watch GoT back when S1 and S2 were being aired, but only got into it recently when it went mainstream. The same clown admitted to not having seen The Wire or Breaking Bad before...some TV pundit she is!

As annoying as Jennifer Gannon can be on TLW, she has a rival who is just much more annoying & loves calling Matt out on stuff he has said or done in the past but not in a good way, in a childish way. And the 2 of them were on the show yesterday :eek::eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,367 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

robo wrote: »
    As annoying as Jennifer Gannon can be on TLW, she has a rival who is just much more annoying & loves calling Matt out on stuff he has said or done in the past but not in a good way, in a childish way. And the 2 of them were on the show yesterday :eek::eek:

The one that really got my goat was the louder more obnoxious of the two, who had a slight hoarseness to her voice; no doubt as a result of ramming her opinions down people's throats. She hadn't a clue and had absolutely no business on radio talking about things she clearly knew very little about. Is there literally nobody else out there that they could find to do a better job? Why do we have to listen to these types of absolute wind-bags? She wasn't even an entertaining wind-bag, she was just crap, wrong and annoying. Fcking total waste of time to have that slot if that's the best they can do with it.

I had so many great conversations over the last few days with people discussing the end of GoT Some were positive, some were negative, but quite a lot were at least thought provoking and then I turn on the radio and hear someone who is actually paid to talk about this stuff for a living - and all they can do is contribute worthless hot-takes.

Advertisement