Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Last Word

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

I had to take a phone call just as they were beginning to discuss the New Zealand story this evening.

I presume my radio avoided having my boot put through it at the complete reluctance to call a spade a spade?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I had to take a phone call just as they were beginning to discuss the New Zealand story this evening.

I presume my radio avoided having my boot put through it at the complete reluctance to call a spade a spade?!?

Was worse than that, the female contributor admonished the kiwi press for hammering the family and claimed it was another example of prejudice against travellers, that the woman who the kid threatened with having her brains knocked out, was worse as she called him a little ****

She also described the offenses as minor and that there were two sides to every story

• Registered Users Posts: 33,180 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Was worse than that, the female contributor admonished the kiwi press for hammering the family and claimed it was another example of prejudice against travellers, that the woman who the kid threatened with having her brains knocked out, was worse as she called him a little ****

She also described the offenses as minor and that there were two sides to every story

Glad I didn't hear that piece today, my blood would have boiled.

No, the NZ authorities called it like it was. The mayor even called them ar$eholes ffs!! To make a mayor use that language you can guess how pissed off he was.

And there was a fully documented trail of destruction and unpaid bills on the families travels over there. To try to defend them shows just how afraid we are in this country to say anything bad about travellers.

They weren't even Irish, they were British so they should get slagged fully without fear of any rebuke.

Yet another example of how TLW has gone so PC that it doesn't want to offend anyone any more (except white males perhaps?)

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Dr_serious2

Matt has no courage at all, never challenges these people about their crazy stance on almost every issue.

He had Aoife Barry on talking about the Gillete Ad during the week. Jesus wept.

What exactly qualifies her to speak on that matter, as a matter of interest?

Next week: Jennifer Gannon discusses quantum physics; Pamela Joyce on the origins of Aboriginal languages and Eoghan McDemott (from the Communications Clinic) talks about the hottest must-have bikinis for summer 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

4.30 - 5pm every Friday on TLW is Liberal HQ. As mentioned above, the NZ story was turned into having a go at the Kiwi's for showing 'prejudice against the Irish' :confused:
    Kate Brennan Harding actually said that!

It was clear she didn't know the full story because the audio they played of that 7yo threatening the woman with the camera phone took place at the beach. Kate claimed it was from the court house where the child was in angst being surrounded by adults in authority positions and so he had to fight back to protect his corner. It was a stunning angle to take but she got away with it, no challenege from the 2 others.

Cooper went for the 'what-aboutery' angle. Irih people rubbish at home as well as abroad he said, sure have you seen the canals in Dublin when the good weather hits and everyone is out drinking. And he's seen a video of people dumping rubbish from their cars at some cross-roads in ballygobackwards.

And that is why we have such a problem in this country with law and order and basic civility. It's never the minorities fault, it's always someone else's. The media and those in positions of influence are always ready to pass the buck on to the back of the general populace rather than go hard on the few who make life so hard for everyone else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭TheDavester

just saw that Harding twitter page....just ughhhhh

Someone called her out for her bending over backwards for them and she said its only a family guilty of littering an petty pilfering....yikes this is the same as Louise o Neill and John Connors defending the aldi break in last year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Prince William

Kate Brennan Harding looks like the kind of girl who doesn't wear bikinis

Kate Brennan Harding looks like the kind of girl who doesn't wear bikinis
    probably gets offended if you offer to hold the door for her

seems to get ahead/picked up in media is being an offended twat on twitter

Someone called her out for her bending over backwards for them and she said its only a family guilty of littering an petty pilfering....yikes this is the same as Louise o Neill and John Connors defending the aldi break in last year

Yeah, she also claims to have worked with pavee point, your run of the mill right on liberal who's arrogance is only matched by their lack of common sense

Apart from clearly never talking to regular people, they hold the same people in contempt

• Registered Users Posts: 2,867 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

I just had a look there now...she got schooled that person. Had to resort to old tried and trusted grammar nazi routine in the end.

• Advertisement

probably gets offended if you offer to hold the door for her

seems to get ahead/picked up in media is being an offended twat on twitter

Sure what do you need to get in the door at the likes of the last word other than complete devotion to PC orthodoxy?

These are largely incredibly boring and intellectual mediocrities when you strip away the standard scripted Liberal dogma which you can see coming a mile away

No original thought at all, just regurgitated left wing talking points they learned in whatever social studies degree they sat, our third level institutes are Liberal madrassas today

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

There’s a simple solution here - send these Irish/British Travellers the video clip of Ciara Kelly saying travellers and their caravans are welcome in her neighbourhood in Greystones. When they arrive they can all sing “Come Bye Ah” together whilst toasting marshmallows over the campfire at night discussing the price of free range pheasant and prossecco in Cavistons, talking about how woke they all are, and watching the Gillette ad on repeat....and all that good stuff. All The Last Word’s Liberal Ladies and Men could move too to create a Republic Of Greystones with Ciara as the President, and Matt could be VP. Win win for everyone - esp. anyone outside of Greystones.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

That one Sarah Maria Griffin made me switch off when they brought up the whole Fairytale of New York/f@ggot issue. Infinitely offended.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭newcavanman

It says a lot about the current state of the Last Word, that this page has no activity in a week and a half . This evening Matt Cooper interviewed a Malawian woman in Direct Provision , for over 10 years , who is running in the local elections for the Social Democrats . As expected he gave her a very easy interview , lots of nice fluffy questions. Then he asked how she got to Ireland . He asked why she hadnt claimed asylum in the first EU country she arrived in .She was a bit hazy on the details but said she had flown direct from Ethiopia to Dublin . Im sure a quick check by him or one of his staff would have confirmed that direct flights from Ethiopia to Ireland began in 2015 , six years after this woman claimed she had done the journey. Also, Addis Ababa is 1800 miles from Malawi,he never bothered to ask might she have felt safe anywhere else on in sub saharan Africa , without having to travel all the way to Ireland. This is what is destroying the listening audience for Radio in this country . It seems to be essential in the media these days to have a full on left wing liberal disposition, anad a need to embrace every bleeding heart story that crosses your path. And what ever you do, dont dare ask any akward questions .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,168 ✭✭✭prunudo

Ah but you see, he can't ask those tough questions for fear of being called a racist, same goes for the easy ride our nomadic friends get and the scumbags with multiple convictions who had hard up bringings.

She seems to have trafficked her 2 kids over to Ireland a few years after she got here or at least thats how it sounded. I was shocked at that but of course Cooper just let her talk away and never quizzed her on that bizarre tale

• Registered Users Posts: 33,180 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Cooper is a joke at this stage.

Thats why I tuned out a long time ago. Used to listen to the show religiously too.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Was listening on Wednesday to the TV section whilst cooking. They had a feature on the "Top 30 Box Sets You See Before you Die". The guests were Gordon Hayden (who usually knows his stuff) and the head of digital from Today FM - who clearly didn't and isn't a tv reviewer (unlike the two female tv reviewers who haven't watched The Wire :rolleyes:). I didn't catch her name so apologies on that. Anyway, Matt says I'll read out the list. He gets to B and she starts interrupting incessantly. between her, Gordon and Matt they don't even know of I suspect at least 5 of the 30 shows....which is pretty poor IMO.

They also discussed The Ted Bundy Tapes on Netflix. They talked for a while about it incl. elements like how they reconstructed some of the visuals, how they enhanced the audio etc. Matt said he had watched Episode 1 but wouldn't be watching the others - now I may be way off on this but I took it from his tone that he wouldn't be watching because Bundy's victims were women. It felt like some sort of virtue signalling protest. I'll again state I may be 100% wrong on this, but that's how it came across to me anyway. I have a difficulty with this coming from a seasoned journalist as if anything in order to comment on it he should have watched it all - even if only to criticise it afterwards. Did anyone else get this vibe from it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

jay0109 wrote: »
    She seems to have trafficked her 2 kids over to Ireland a few years after she got here or at least that's how it sounded. I was shocked at that but of course Cooper just let her talk away and never quizzed her on that bizarre tale

It's just the latest in a long line of questions that need to be asked that he has shied away from. And ironically, it's this sort of unwillingness to ask uncomfortable questions that sows the seeds that lead on to Brexit and Donald Trump. That groundswell of support for Peter Casey should have been seen by the likes of Matt as a sign that they're not doing their jobs properly. But no, they simply dismissed his vote as small-minded racist Irish folk and did the old "move on, nothing to see here" shtick.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Dr_serious2

Compare Matt Coopers interview of Ibrahim Halawa with that of Neil Prendiville. Cooper fawns all over him while Prendiville has him squirming in his chair.

• Advertisement

When word came through about him being released, Matt and Fintan O'Toole (I think) discussed it on the show. At the end, he referred to texts the had come in asking questions about the story. The pair of them said he was young and stupid and that was that. You could almost hear the bang as they slammed the lid and closed down that line of discussion.

They also discussed The Ted Bundy Tapes on Netflix. They talked for a while about it incl. elements like how they reconstructed some of the visuals, how they enhanced the audio etc. Matt said he had watched Episode 1 but wouldn't be watching the others - now I may be way off on this but I took it from his tone that he wouldn't be watching because Bundy's victims were women. It felt like some sort of virtue signalling protest. I'll again state I may be 100% wrong on this, but that's how it came across to me anyway. I have a difficulty with this coming from a seasoned journalist as if anything in order to comment on it he should have watched it all - even if only to criticise it afterwards. Did anyone else get this vibe from it?

I got some of that and my take on it was they weren't going to watch anymore of it because thy felt it was glamourising Bundy...loads of interview material from people saying how good looking and charming Bundy was etc.
    I happened to watch the show the past 2 nights and I didn't feel that to be the case at all.
    It was interview material and news clips from 45 years ago for feks sakes also with journalists close to the story at the time etc given their views. They all said Bundy was a psycho.

And Cooper is supposed to be a journalist, 1 of the biggest names in this country. No wonder so many people don't bother with the main stream media anymore

I got some of that and my take on it was they weren't going to watch anymore of it because thy felt it was glamourising Bundy...loads of interview material from people saying how good looking and charming Bundy was etc.
    I happened to watch the show the past 2 nights and I didn't feel that to be the case at all.
    It was interview material and news clips from 45 years ago for feks sakes also with journalists close to the story at the time etc given their views. They all said Bundy was a psycho.

And Cooper is supposed to be a journalist, 1 of the biggest names in this country. No wonder so many people don't bother with the main stream media anymore

I watched the first episode, and they debunk that he was a handsome charming guy, which he was known as in othershows ive seen him been portrayed as, as far as I remember he was a gawky, awkward teen with a stutter..

Even by it's normal standards, this evening's 'Liberal' slot from 4.30-5pm is reaching new highs!
    The ISIS bride getting the kids glove treatment...."bring her home"

Eoghan McDermott on as usual

Even by it's normal standards, this evening's 'Liberal' slot from 4.30-5pm is reaching new highs!

Who else waa on

Geraldine Carton. Hadn't heard of her before.

Later in the show Matt had Marion McKeone on to agree with him on everything anti-Trump. Cal Thomas must be on good money (though I doubt it) to put up with the 2 of them talking down to him every week

its not the sjw one on RTE with the irritating sister

I didn't hear that segment but it doesn't surprise me that they've gone down the "bring her home route". The way Matt ran away from this and the Ibrahim Halawa story before that makes me wonder is he afraid of opening his mouth? To me, this news story is a fascinating conundrum and I want to hear the different sides. Should they leave her out in that refugee camp to rot? Should they bring her home? Is she a terrorist or merely a misguided young woman? What are the dangers involved in bringing someone like her back to the UK? Can somebody like her be de-radicalised or is she a lost cause. What do they think will happen if she is brought back to the UK? All questions that have come into my mind and ones I'd like to hear trashed out on the radio. But oh no, all we get is she's a misguided kid, poor pet :rolleyes:

its not the sjw one on RTE with the irritating sister

No, this Eoghan McDermott is a Terry Prone production

• Advertisement

Geraldine Carton. Hadn't heard of her before.

Later in the show Matt had Marion McKeone on to agree with him on everything anti-Trump. Cal Carmichael must be on good money (though I doubt it) to put up with the 2 of them talking down to him every week

Cal Thomas

Advertisement