Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Last Word

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

It's depressing that he has lost his cojones and allowed standards to slip on his show. It is a shadow of its former self. At times it sounds like an episode of Loose Women

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

It's depressing that he has lost his cojones and allowed standards to slip on his show. It is a shadow of its former self. At times it sounds like an episode of Loose Women

It’s more like the Liberal Ladies sketch on the latest season of Callan’s Kicks tbh....worth a listen if you haven’t heard it.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Breaston Plants

Matt Cooper is at the moderate level of the modern journalist.

Those that have come behind him are more radical and will keep pushing the agenda.

We have a gay president and gay Taoiseach, abortion on demand, Pride month is now endorsed by RTE, The Government, the GAA.....

and it's still not enough.

And they wonder why right wing movements are getting traction across Europe.

The President isn't gay.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,203 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Maybe someone should tell his wife!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,715 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

The President isn't gay.

Of course he isn't...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Jesus Christ, where did they find this latest SJW. Not only is Toy Story 4 apparently racist, but it doesn't represent minority groups (such as disabled people) either. Radio is now off and I feel much better sitting in silence!

That slots been terrible for a long time now.

If it doesn't either, or both, Karl Deeter or Larissa Nolan I don't listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭prunudo

Refreshing to hear Ed Smith on as a balanced voice for the tv slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭santino

prunudo wrote: »
    Refreshing to hear Ed Smith on as a balanced voice for the tv slot.

True that. Love Ed calling it straight.

I had an issue today (I'm not outraged though).
    Matt has of late been forgetful to give the language warning in the music and tv slots (only slots I listen to).
    It's either in place or it's not. If he forgets, it's sloppy, if it's done on purpose it's flaunting the pre watershed rules.
    I don't have a problem with it but the piece they played 're. Louis Theroux and the Baptist nuts had a load of f-bombs and Matt gave his usual apology with a hint of 'sure I did it again'. Not good enough.
    I sent a text for the first time in around 10 years but it wasn't acknowledged.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭prunudo

Agree, last night and again tonight he dropped the ball, no need for sustained expletives at that hour of the day.

Maybe he's trying to prove he's edgy or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭technocrat

I used to look forward to the weekly TV review a few years back when Patrick Freyne and some other Irish Times contributor were the regulars.

It’s gone downhill big time in the last year.

Over the last few weeks half the slot is spent discussing the weekly shenanigans in Love Island like WTF!
    Do Today FM seriously think TLW audience watch this muck.
    And then Matt says each week how he doesn’t even watch the show.. mind boggles.

Roll on the autumn and Xfactor, celebrity jungle etc etc will take the lead on the TV review.
    I normally tune in most days but find myself listening to The Hard Shoulder more and more.
    I do like Ivan’s no nonsense attitude calling out all the snowflakes on their staggering hypocrisy.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Someone did text in triggered over Love Island alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Pineapple1

Could someone fill me in on what happened between the last word and irish times journalists having nothing to do with TLW anymore?

Pineapple1 wrote: »
    Could someone fill me in on what happened between the last word and irish times journalists having nothing to do with TLW anymore?

It's not specifically to do with The Last Word. Since 2017, Irish Times journalists are banned from appearing on stations owned by Communicorp. https://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/bai-to-act-in-wake-of-communicorp-ban-on-irish-times-journalists-1.3443368 Regrettably the ban doesn't extend to the awful Jennifer Gannon who has written for them but who I assume is freelance.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I find that to be a massive black mark against so many of Today FM's and Newstalk journalists that they let that happen.

Pat Kenny, Cooper, Yates, The Off The Ball team would all be giving out stink if something similar happened on other stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭JoeA3

technocrat wrote: »
    I used to look forward to the weekly TV review a few years back when Patrick Freyne and some other Irish Times contributor were the regulars.

Freyne used to annoy me a bit too. He was constantly giggling through the whole segment like someone was tickling his balls. But at least he had some degree of credibility.

Jennifer Gannon is easily the most irritating voice on radio and that’s no mean feat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Pineapple1

Thank you

Big difference noticed in the last couple years since the ban

• Registered Users Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Lads, do yourselves a favour and "move the dial" to The Hard Shoulder (Ivan Yates) on Newstalk. I did it recently and haven't looked back, Ivan is like a breath of fresh air after listening to Matt and his PC ways. The odd time I check in on TLW just to confirm that I made the right decision in switching station. Rejoice! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Lads, do yourselves a favour and "move the dial" to The Hard Shoulder (Ivan Yates) on Newstalk. I did it recently and haven't looked back, Ivan is like a breath of fresh air after listening to Matt and his PC ways. The odd time I check in on TLW just to confirm that I made the right decision in switching station. Rejoice! :D

Adios then

prunudo wrote: »
    Agree, last night and again tonight he dropped the ball, no need for sustained expletives at that hour of the day.

To be honest, I'd say that very few youngsters listen to the Last Word.

• Advertisement

Pineapple1 wrote: »
    Thank you

Big difference noticed in the last couple years since the ban

Seems to be a link between the drop off in quality of the show to the time of the ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭newcavanman

technocrat wrote: »

It’s gone downhill big time in the last year.

Over the last few weeks half the slot is spent discussing the weekly shenanigans in Love Island like WTF!
    Do Today FM seriously think TLW audience watch this muck.
    And then Matt says each week how he doesn’t even watch the show.. mind boggles.

Roll on the autumn and Xfactor, celebrity jungle etc etc will take the lead on the TV review.
    I normally tune in most days but find myself listening to The Hard Shoulder more and more.
    I do like Ivan’s no nonsense attitude calling out all the snowflakes on their staggering hypocrisy.
    Jaysus but that Jennifer Gannon is one very angry woman. She seems to be seriously bothered unless a programme ticks her boxes regarding feminism, gender polotics and LGBT issues. She really is a pain in the ass

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭newcavanman

Couldnt agree more, altho i like Uncle Ivan, hes not a real replacement for the Hookster, he was the real deal

So Matt now being extra sad over the lawyer who killed herself after being released from prison.

Would be interesting to go back and listen to Matt and guests comments on her when her case was in the news.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭robo

So has Matt & his team been reading this thread cos looks like they dropped the TV slot & have a new slot called "Culture Club" & it started this week with Paul Howard (Ross O'Carroll creator) and he discussed his fave tv, music, gigs, plays etc. Was actually good...compared to the latest TV slot (the one that doesn't include Ed Smith)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭5555555555

They have moved the tv slot to Fridays, 5 30 i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭robo

5555555555 wrote: »
    They have moved the tv slot to Fridays, 5 30 i think.

Ah right so instead of the Friday interview - so telly for the weekend now?

So we'll have Jennifer Gannon on a Friday to ruin our weekend? Great.

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Freyne used to annoy me a bit too. He was constantly giggling through the whole segment like someone was tickling his balls. But at least he had some degree of credibility.

Jennifer Gannon is easily the most irritating voice on radio and that’s no mean feat.

He was a little bit giggle alright, but at least he knew TV and had actually seen The Wire.

• Advertisement

Jaysus but that Jennifer Gannon is one very angry woman. She seems to be seriously bothered unless a programme ticks her boxes regarding feminism, gender polotics and LGBT issues. She really is a pain in the ass

She’ll be offended you used the plural of box, being a slang word as it is for vagina. It’s ok to say “fanny flutters” though - IF YOU’RE A WOMAN.

Advertisement