Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Last Word

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

robo wrote: »
    So has Matt & his team been reading this thread cos looks like they dropped the TV slot & have a new slot called "Culture Club" & it started this week with Paul Howard (Ross O'Carroll creator) and he discussed his fave tv, music, gigs, plays etc. Was actually good...compared to the latest TV slot (the one that doesn't include Ed Smith)

The Culture Club is just a rip-off off a similarish weekly piece that Ray Darcy does on his RTE1 show....which had Howard on it at 1 stage uuring the past 12 months if memory serves me correctly

• Registered Users Posts: 33,210 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

They were discussing US Love Island again tonight, so looks like your hopes have been dashed.

Gannon tonight compared the various comings and goings on Love Island to the Premier league transfer window when she was trying to defend the show which the 2 Lads said was pure, unadulterated crap that is being orchestrated and scripted.
    Her response was to say whole workplaces shut down every year due to debates over millionaire footballers moving from club A to club B, all of which is preplanned and arranged so why bother getting into following it !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

jay0109 wrote: »
    Gannon tonight compared the various comings and goings on Love Island to the Premier league transfer window when she was trying to defend the show hich the 2 Lads said as pure, unadulterated crap that is being orchestrated and scripted.
    Her response was to say whole workplaces shut down every year due to debates over millionaire footballers moving from club A to club B, all of which is preplanned and arranged so why bother getting into following it !!!

She must be trolling. At least I hope she's trolling........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

She must be trolling. At least I hope she's trolling........

Perhaps she is part of a conspiracy by the patriarchy to make women look empty headed. Either that or she's some sort of elaborate joke by the production team. Honestly, if her IQ dropped by just a point or two, they'd need to water her daily. I'm not sure which is the worst. The nonsense she spouts or the hypocrisy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭TheDavester

jay0109 wrote: »
    Gannon tonight compared the various comings and goings on Love Island to the Premier league transfer window when she was trying to defend the show hich the 2 Lads said as pure, unadulterated crap that is being orchestrated and scripted.

what work place shuts down for football transfers???? and mostly in offices ive worked in, its debates on crap like big brother/love island get harped on in the office....jesus she's annoying and not very bright....im guessing she's confusing wwe and football together with the preplanned/arranged bit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Perhaps she is part of a conspiracy by the patriarchy to make women look empty headed. Either that or she's some sort of elaborate joke by the production team. Honestly, if her IQ dropped by just a point or two, they'd need to water her daily. I'm not sure which is the worst. The nonsense she spouts or the hypocrisy.

Quite a drop in standards over the years, from Robert Fisk being a regular to Jennifer Gannon being a regular.

Quite a drop in standards over the years, from Robert Fisk being a regular to Jennifer Gannon being a regular.

Thanks Buford, I nearly drowned myself in coffee going down the wrong way after guffawing when I read your post. :pac:

Thanks Buford, I nearly drowned myself in coffee going down the wrong way after guffawing when I read your post. :pac:

Related to the above, would love to hear Gannon’s thoughts on how to bring peace to the Middle East. Would make for an “interesting” listen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Related to the above, would love to hear Gannon’s thoughts on how to bring peace to the Middle East. Would make for an “interesting” listen.

I'm probably being unfair on Miss Gannon, she wasn't brought in to discuss middle eastern politics and I'm sure she is well able to supply the opinions that she is asked to supply.

I don't particularly like talk radio and TLW was the only talk show I listened to but the focus is now on a magazine format where there is more and more fluff being discussed and less and less current affairs being discussed. Which is fine but not in the least bit interesting to me.

I'm actually surprised Matt is still in place there. I've been a fan of his for an age, back to before his days as editor of the Sunday Tribune.

Maybe he is content to cruise through the remainder of his contract and save the heavier discussions to his TV show? I think that's a pity as he always had an interesting take on current affairs and I admit I miss that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

I wonder is it a resource issue too? That it's cheaper to bring in people like Gannon to talk fluff and fill airtime?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,102 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I wonder is it a resource issue too? That it's cheaper to bring in people like Gannon to talk fluff and fill airtime?

Its probably a factor alright, at least youd hope people dont get good money for the drivel like gannon produces.
    Pay peanuts, get monkeys.

Probably a combo of station tightening it’s belt and times ban...the journals ‘journalists’ and freelancers/bloggers/offended twitter users are cheaper and want a leg up in career opportunities

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Dr_serious2

Matt seems to agree with most of the rubbish they come out with too though If he didn't want Jennifer Gannon, Aoife Barry or Eoghan McDermott I presume they wouldn't be on. Sad that standard of contributer has sunk so low.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,210 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I would have considered MC a serious journo and presenter in the past.

But not any more.

The quality of his show has plummeted over the years, he talks about nonsense that he would never have in the past, has poor contributors on, and seems happy to phone it in daily.

If he had any scruples he'd have left long ago.

Easy pay cheque.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Dr_serious2

NIMAN wrote: »
    I would have considered MC a serious journo and presenter in the past.

But not any more.

The quality of his show has plummeted over the years, he talks about nonsense that he would never have in the past, has poor contributors on, and seems happy to phone it in daily.

If he had any scruples he'd have left long ago.

Easy pay cheque.

The only time he shows any passion is his frankly disgraceful treatment of Cal Thomas. By God Marion McKeown gets an easy ride on that slot, poor Cal has to listen to the presenter going on biased rants.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭technocrat

Unlike say Yates or even Hook he stands for nothing totally unprincipled.
    Every NIMBY around gets an easy ride and is never challenged on often dubious ‘facts’!

A case in point during the Metro launch last year he had every crank and critic on to talk down the project without giving the pro side a fair hearing.

Funnily enough last week during a discussion about air quality where he’s walking route had some of the highest levels in Dublin he bemoaned:

“The air quality is not going to improve anytime soon now that Metro project isn’t going southside”

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I wouldn't be surprised if it was a Communicorp thing to have Yates be a bit of a righty and Cooper a bit of a leftie.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,317 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

The only time he shows any passion is his frankly disgraceful treatment of Cal Thomas. By God Marion McKeown gets an easy ride on that slot, poor Cal has to listen to the presenter going on biased rants.

Cal seems to love this whinge aswell. Matts entitled to ask him questions.

But Cal, but Cal, but Cal.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,317 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

But Cal, but Cal, but Cal.....

That only happens when Cal starts on the whataboutery.

pjohnson wrote: »
    That only happens when Cal starts on the whataboutery about 2 or 3 times during every Cal Thomas segment.

FYP. :pac:

I’m not a Cal Thomas supporter btw, and I used to like Matt a lot; but Matt is far from neutral when he interviews him or moderates between him and McKeown (apologies if I’ve misspelt her surname, there are many versions of it).

If I had to sum up the show today versus the heady heights of years ago I’d describe the current version as lazy by comparison. I rarely listen anymore, I prefer to podcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

Sorry lads, but Cal Thomas tends to talk a load of nonsense particularly when defending Trump and Matt Cooper is entitled to call him on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Sorry lads, but Cal Thomas tends to talk a load of nonsense particularly when defending Trump and Matt Cooper is entitled to call him on it.
    I agree Cal does talk a bit of nonsense from time-to-time. But it's the double standards of Matt which annoys me. He calls out Cal (sometimes rather aggressively) but never once disagrees/calls out some of the more left-leaning contributors. I haven't listened too regularly lately, so can't name check too many contributors, but I do recall the likes of Roe McDermott being able to talk whatever ****e crossed her mind without ever being questioned on it

I agree Cal does talk a bit of nonsense from time-to-time. But it's the double standards of Matt which annoys me. He calls out Cal (sometimes rather aggressively) but never once disagrees/calls out some of the more left-leaning contributors. I haven't listened too regularly lately, so can't name check too many contributors, but I do recall the likes of Roe McDermott being able to talk whatever ****e crossed her mind without ever being questioned on it

I agree. As I pointed out in my earller post I'm not a fan of Cal Thomas (and as the above poster alluded to) but Cooper calls him out on pretty much everything he says, yet lets the left wing contributors say just about anything unchecked. It's a complete double standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

Matt has long lost any sense of objectivity. He is meant to be the chairman of the debate. A chairman is meant to be neutral. Himself and Marion McKeown are in lockstep against Cal. What annoys me about Marion is the laugh in her voice as she talks about people who have views she considers absurd, almost below contempt. They are in reality just different opinions. She comes across as a true bubble dweller. She seems to live in a world were everyone has the same opinions. Any who digress are somehow mentally challenged at best, morons at worst. It is an expression of supeme golden circled arrogance. Same with Matt. In the current established media world opinions are uniform or hidden.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,746 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

One of the most embarrassing pieces of radio was on The Last Word yesterday.

Matts team of leftie snowflakes had spent a lot of time on google compiling clips of various stupid things Boris Johnson has said over the years.

Matt then would put on a sad voice, sighing (D'Arcy-esque) intermittently between the clips.

It so so cringe worthy I felt compelled to listen, just to see if Matt could make an even bigger gobsh1te of out himself. It ended with Matt saying "Good Luck Britain. You'll need it".

I heard that too last night, with his quip at the end. The Ray D'arcy comparison is very apt.

He also had a fawning piece during the Business news on the sales/profit announcement at the Irish Times. But analysis I've read elsewhere was saying the opposite!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭robo

So they have replaced the Friday interview with TV on a Friday and TV on a Wednesday is now "Culture Club" ...whihc is past guests from the Friday interview asked back on to tell us all about their fave TV, songs, films etc from back in their day.
    Honestly, I don't see the point in this segment. So far 2 of the guests (Paul Howard & Lynn Ruane) have been interviewed numerous times on TLW, and now they are back to give an insight into their "Cultural" likes

• Advertisement

robo wrote: »
    So they have replaced the Friday interview with TV on a Friday and TV on a Wednesday is now "Culture Club" ...whihc is past guests from the Friday interview asked back on to tell us all about their fave TV, songs, films etc from back in their day.
    Honestly, I don't see the point in this segment. So far 2 of the guests (Paul Howard & Lynn Ruane) have been interviewed numerous times on TLW, and now they are back to give an insight into their "Cultural" likes

as i said in the Today fm thread, its lazy/cheap content creation, to kill air time, no doubt you'll hear the usual suspects doing this soon, Roe McDermott,, Gannon (blithering on about Love island being the most important thing on telly while pontificating or having a sjw-esque rant) The Eoin McDermott fella, Nick Ferrari and the usual "contributors", and its a way for these "celebs" to shill/plug something and eventually, TLW will replay clips throughout week dissecting what they said, like what the D&D show does.

And I can see this bit being given to the likes of Gannon using it to whinge/blame men about cultural appropriation on this slot

Advertisement