Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Last Word

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Absolutely. The world is a worse place for partisan media. You'd think Matt, of all people, would know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Should be more impartial. It's important that people hear both sides of an argument. Otherwise it's just Fox News all over again

Its unprofessional.

The host of TV shows and debates is meant to be impartial.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭Ahwell

How come the same posters were never in the George Hook thread railing against his complete lack of impartially? Or is being biased OK, as long as it reflects your own set of biases?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,746 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

The Last Word boiled my blood yesterday.

They brushed over the Simon Zebo racism accusation in the game against Ulster. It got about 45 seconds, with the usual "theres no place for this in the game" comment from the contributor being the size of what was said.

Contrast that to the discussion that was had on the show following the Raheem Sterling incident against Chelsea a few weeks ago. It got loads of air time.

I think its a case of Matt deciding that rugby fans are jolly good blokes who pass around hip flasks while soccer fans are scumbag hooligans.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

What time did they cover that story at?

Racing didn't release their statement saying it was racist abuse until very late in the day yesterday.

Even Off the Ball had to rejig their schedule to cover the racist aspect of it as they were caught out by the timing of the statement.

• Advertisement

CatFromHue wrote: »
    What time did they cover that story at?

Racing didn't release their statement saying it was racist abuse until very late in the day yesterday.

Even Off the Ball had to rejig their schedule to cover the racist aspect of it as they were caught out by the timing of the statement.

About 6.50. Wallace gave a short answer when asked to comment by Matt and then he moved on to talk with Wallace and Francis about Joey Carbery for about 5 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

They had about 5 minutes of the show to discuss the weekends rugby at the point of which the statement was released, around the time they rugby segment started. Wallace and Francis wouldn't have seen the statement at that point, so they answered as well as could be expected.

I don't think there was any editorial decision to ignore a racist incident just because it was rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Dr_serious2

Telling that there has not been any post on here in a month before yesterday. People are tuning out and Matt can thank his PC self and his snowflake production team.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

Telling that there has not been any post on here in a month before yesterday. People are tuning out and Matt can thank his PC self and his snowflake production team.

Get woke go broke.

Hurrache wrote: »
    They had about 5 minutes of the show to discuss the weekends rugby at the point of which the statement was released, around the time they rugby segment started. Wallace and Francis wouldn't have seen the statement at that point, so they answered as well as could be expected.

I don't think there was any editorial decision to ignore a racist incident just because it was rugby.

Zebo tweeted about "Django winning in the end" on Sunday. Cooper and the contributors would have been well aware of that.

Did they spend a few minutes talking about it on yesterdays show seen as they would have had over 24 hours to fully digest the Racing statement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭TheDavester

Doing a Games slot now - wow another fantastic bit from the content creating geniuses at today fm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Makes me glad I've mostly stopped listening. Drivetime is as dull as dishwater but at least it doesn't make me want to throw things at the radio. It's a sorry slow decline for a once excellent radio show.

I could see Ferg D;arcy or maybe the Louise Duffy show doing a games slot....WTF would Matt Cooper know, he probably hasn't played one since Atari was out

I have more or less stopped listening to the show now.
    It just grinds on me too much.
    Usually RTE1 for me at that time, sometimes NT.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

Cooper has run the show into the ground. It used to be serious, current affairs, sport etc and heavy hitting. Now it's gone very consumerish, a magazine type show. If thats what Today FM want, they should perhaps look at getting a younger presenter in that would be closer to the target audience they seem to be going after.

Today FM did the same to their Sunday morning show a few years back. Sam Smyth ran a very good programme, a real alternative to Marian Finucane. But he fell foul of God and the show moved on to total dumbed down puff radio. Last I heard it had morphed into a Mario Rosenstock promo vehicle.
    Grand, there probably is some sort of an audience for that type of stuff. But I'm not one of them

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭canonball5

jay0109 wrote: »
    Cooper has run the show into the ground. It used to be serious, current affairs, sport etc and heavy hitting. Now it's gone very consumerish, a magazine type show. If thats what Today FM want, they should perhaps look at getting a younger presenter in that would be closer to the target audience they seem to be going after.

Today FM did the same to their Sunday morning show a few years back. Sam Smyth ran a very good programme, a real alternative to Marian Finucane. But he fell foul of God and the show moved on to total dumbed down puff radio. Last I heard it had morphed into a Mario Rosenstock promo vehicle.
    Grand, there probably is some sort of an audience for that type of stuff. But I'm not one of them

Jesus wept, has anyone heard that Mario Rosenstock show? I've no idea what they were thinking, it's a shambles of a show.

canonball5 wrote: »
    Jesus wept, has anyone heard that Mario Rosenstock show? I've no idea what they were thinking, it's a shambles of a show.

Mario's only talent is how he was able to stretch a career for nearly 20 years...he was funny up till about 2005 and has gone downhill and overexposed

• Registered Users Posts: 14,102 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

canonball5 wrote: »

I accidentally found myself in a car one sunday morning and that show came on. Luckily i crashed shortly afterwards, which broke the radio

Flicked on to it tonight in the car.

They were discussing parents with alcohol issues.

Some woman was chatting, giving her point of view, experiences etc.

It was at the end when Matt said "thanks Larissa Nolan".
    Doesn't she do TV/film and music reviews for the show too?
    She is a real jack of all trades, or why do TodayFM have such a limited supply of contributors?

Is it because they refuse to speak to a large section of those involved in the media due to their ban?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,144 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Larissa has become the 'go to female contrarian' for The Last Word.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭PhoneMain

Larissa has become the 'go to female contrarian' for The Last Word.

Not to forget Karl Deiter who was spouting some rubbish about extending school hours with no research or science behind it. I don't know what the outcome was, I turned over fairly quick.

Funny, I like Karl, usually fairly honest about the homelessness crisis.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Flicked on to it tonight in the car.

They were discussing parents with alcohol issues.

Some woman was chatting, giving her point of view, experiences etc.

It was at the end when Matt said "thanks Larissa Nolan".
    Doesn't she do TV/film and music reviews for the show too?
    She is a real jack of all trades, or why do TodayFM have such a limited supply of contributors?

Is it because they refuse to speak to a large section of those involved in the media due to their ban?
    theyre limited by the times ban, that's why they're stuck with AOife Barry from the Journal (and others from that "news site") who wouldn't get near another tv/radio show, Roe McDermot, Jennifer Gannon.....They've also had Louise Duffy doing TV and the week in review bit on Fridays (in fairness she wasn't bad at the Friday Gig when she put a shrill sjw in her place)

I really think MC is past his sell-by on TLW now.

But I have no idea who could replace him, probably someone even more right-on and PC.

NIMAN wrote: »
    I really think MC is past his sell-by on TLW now.

But I have no idea who could replace him, probably someone even more right-on and PC.

might go female for this role Gannon, Barry or Roe McDermott....ugghhhhh

• Registered Users Posts: 13,144 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Matt has gone down the "both sideism" strategy and often holds meaningless debates with extreme views on both sides with the usual suspects.

The 11pm show on Virgin Media is now doing the same thing.

Matt has gone down the "both sideism" strategy and often holds meaningless debates with extreme views on both sides with the usual suspects.

The 11pm show on Virgin Media is now doing the same thing.

Have only ever caught that show a handful of times, and its awful generally.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Yeah he's from he communications clinic, whatever that is, the other McDermott is on 2FM at the same time as The Last Word.

Did they mention that other footballers at the awards show were asked dance questions too? Mbappe had to actually dance!

The Communications Clinic?

A great bunch of lads...and the delightful Terry Prone.

Google “Kate Fitzgerald” and “The Communications Clinic”.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭5555555555

theyre limited by the times ban, that's why they're stuck with AOife Barry from the Journal (and others from that "news site") who wouldn't get near another tv/radio show, Roe McDermot, Jennifer Gannon.....They've also had Louise Duffy doing TV and the week in review bit on Fridays (in fairness she wasn't bad at the Friday Gig when she put a shrill sjw in her place)

Can someone please tell Matt that Jennifer Gannon writes for the Irish Times ?

• Advertisement

5555555555 wrote: »
    Can someone please tell Matt that Jennifer Gannon writes for the Irish Times ?

sadly i think she's freelance

Advertisement