Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst/Best Radio Ads rerun edition!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,525 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

She had me fooled, must listen again. Nowhere near as bad as the usual 'Allo 'Allo quality voiceovers.

On accents, the FBD one with the 'hilarious talking solar panel' with an irritating Ross O Carroll Kelly type accent.

Post edited by whisky_galore on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,256 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Oh heavens yes to this. Remember last year when you had someone brag about their "quirky" speed record and then, what to me is the most annoying voice in advertising, the Virgin Media voice-over guy says their achievement is inspiring and so is ours. Honestly I'd prefer to put up with Eirs customer service then play any part in lining the pockets of one of the most useless advertising departments in the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭crooked cockney villain

Yes, you're right they had an ad last year that also went on for 2- 3 minutes. Do they, or the radio stations playing them, not realise if an ad goes on more than 30 seconds you're switching stations?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

I'm NOT the type of person who wants to sit in a metal box....

Oh shag off!

Re'cone'nect, the new Cornetto advert, it's just horrible!! The singing the voice over the 'secret chocolate hidden in the base' (hardly a bloody secret is it?!) and the terrible pun.

The two gardening lads with their podcast, finishing each others sentences.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭crazy 88

The vodafone super WiFi ad with the guy who goes on his roof and says hello to a boat at the end?? I'm really sold

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

I have ranted many times here about ads where the person doing the voiceover puts 'D' in for T. There's a spectacularly awful ad for Trin- aDee college for example. LoDDo ads are another...

Now there's an ad for solar energy or something where the voiceover asks 'why spend sousands'...(thousands). And there are other ads with similar awful pronunciation of 'th' as 's'. Awful stuff!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Can't think of the Cornetto one offhand (bet I will be haunted by it now all evening 😅) but that metal box one makes me want to kick something to relieve the pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

I'm your hunch....

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭ratoath25

God the add for a aviva were the kid pronounces it as "Geneva" are just painful

• Advertisement

I wish to fook all these wall to wall betting ads would just taking a running jump into the fooking sea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

I heard an advert earlier, some bloke writing a letter and narrating it at the same time, to whom we don't; a loved one, someone he's missed, reminiscing. The big reveal at the end is that hes writing to a drink??!?!? Carlsberg or Heinekin, can't recall which but a fcuking drink?! He's writing a letter to a drink.........

Dunnes stores school uniform radio ad with the brats singing over it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,248 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

The new ad for Heineken (supporting the LVA and VFI) that ends with the fella saying in his best Ross O Carroll Kelly Accent: 2 Heineken please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,256 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Another notch against "Just one cornetto...." not a great singer and that jarring but legally required changing of the lyrics from "Italy" to "HB" urgh, just want to throw one at the radio

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭electricus

Any ad which needs to spell out a product or company name is an instant failure in my opinion.

There’s one on at the moment selling Apple products, the name sounds simple but even though I hear it in every ad break I cannot get the spelling. On top of that, it’s a very annoying ad!

The one with the insufferable clown who says he only buys apple products?

The whole tone throughout the ad is very dark and weird. He sounds depressed. When he mentioned looking at the 4:50 at fairyhouse I was sure it was going to be an ad for anti gambling or anti alcohol...or both

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭electricus

That's the one, made worse by same clown playing two roles.

• Advertisement

Yeah I get that, sounds like it's raining outside and overall quite drab. Reminds me of the dude in the Eminem song, Stan. I don't understand it, is he writing to Heinekin, a pub, the pub owner, his missus?!! It's utterly rediculous advertising.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭I see sheep

Quote Devil, Jesus I hope he's putting on that voice, it's the worst I've ever heard on radio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,646 ✭✭✭RINO87

The lady who used to pronounce cyclist as cyc-a-list is back, this time mis-pronouncing gambling as gamb-a-ling.

The cyclist ad had to be re-recorded it was so bad, how was she let make the same mistake all over again?

'Charlotte Tilbury' advert, some beauty products or some such narrated by a robotic posh female and using the word 'dawrling' (ie darlings).... Very annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

Aye - it's a strange one that, and destined to get very annoying, very fast. Even the radio presenters, I suspect, don't like it as on Sunday an RTE presenter after the ad break, said "well darlings" in a slightly mocking tone.

Toyota invents another irritating phrase "Start your impossible".

What's with those two idiot whose dad is sending them pictures from his holidays in Northern Ireland. 'Why aren't we on holidays?!' exclaims yer man in an inquisitive amused tone....because your an idiot that's why 😊

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭plodder

I laughed out loud when I heard that slogan first. Car ads are definitely the worst.

There's a new ad for window replacements with two biddies chatting in the style of the Global Home improvements ad, and I think it might be taking the mick out of the other one. It's quite good imo.

• Advertisement

There has been a goal ad appealing for aid for the Haiti earthquake going every day where yer man says "there was an earthquake in Haiti today". Today is Friday...the earthquake happened on Saturday. All he had to say when he recorded it was "there was an earthquake recently" or even just "there was an earthquake". With the amount of money these corporate chairty guys get paid, you'd think they'd know about attention to detail

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

I've just heard an utterly headwrecking ad for the AIB GAA Championships featuring a guy with a bizarre accent doing a spoken word/rap type thing. Its far, far worse than that "getting the shift" one.

Post edited by Hangdogroad on

The goal ads where the well paid CEO or head of whatever phones it in to make it sound like they are out there in the 3rd world getting their hands dirty and calling from a phonebox

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

Is this a recent car company thing? In which a car company releases a meaningless "slogan", whose only purpose that I can see is to sound "cool". We had Peugeot's "Unboring the future", Opel with their "beauty isn't scared of life" and Audi's "Future is an attitude".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭stronglikebull

What's with the Bus ad, where one irritating guy is talking over the other guy? I just don't even get the message they're trying to convey, other than Bus Eireann is incredibly annoying.

And cornetto singing guy, I just have to turn off the radio when that ad comes on. The screech at the end of it is the worst sound since fork met plate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,026 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

That one for the lads doing that Dublin accent podcast.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement

I hear 'binning is sinning' is getting an airing again...

...and again....

and again!

Not just car companies....Virgin with "bring on amazing". I've never heard such a vapid slogan. I can't stand them...what has gotten into Brian Cox. Did he get cleaned out by Bernie Madoff aswell and in desperate need for cash?

And the award for the bank ad with the most uses of the word bank in a bank ad goes to Bank of Ireland insurance bank bank, part of bank of Ireland bank group bank bank insurance bank central bank bank of insurance bank special bank bank bank bank bank....

Seriously, it's verbal diarrhea on a new level with these stupid regulatory disclaimers.

Just two things...

The Bold advert, yer want getting ready for her online date. The very last line 'always keep away from children', is that in general or keep the detergent away from children?

Secondly, the new adverts for phone watch, I have to say I do like there tag line/slogan and they're use in the adverts 'happy out', thumbs up from me.

I think they need some stronger language, like don't be a littering lazy cünt?

People dont care about "sinning" these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,024 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

"What a

"What a time to be 17 ...."

Read out by a guy about 40.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

"Start your impossible" suggests that Toyotas are next to impossible to start. :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

The Aldi ad for back to school. I reckon for most people that music means Glenroe........

PH Ross with his "batchroom" is back.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

He must have survived the last attack of the bats.....

Good old McDonalds encouraging teenage girls to shoot nude bath videos for Tiktok, or where ever. That can't possibly be a bad thing, right? Seriously, the plebs that came up with that one should be fired.

Teenage girls never do stupid things online..

Oh wait..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

"Tourism is the heart of Ireland."

Thanks for the reminder to book a holiday somewhere where pints are less than €3.

That advert for Standard Life, where he explains the origins of the word 'retire'. The drumming in the background makes me incredibly anxious and uneasy. I've a heart condition and the sound of that idiotic out of beat/no rythem drumming makes me feel as if I'm going out of rythem!!

I hear Davey are back advertising again!

That annoying little 5hit on the An Post advert, Jane I think I just got her savings account 'okayyy let's GO!', like an adult trying to express a young tiktoker generation. Speaking of which that SuperValu advert where the guy is tryin to be relevant with phrases like 'epic' and 'winning', Jesus....

• Advertisement
Advertisement