Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst/Best Radio Ads rerun edition!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,893 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Dan Jaman wrote: »
    .... and Meadows and Byrne.... and feck off wi' ya. Bastids.

It's one of those fake hipstery name Something & Something companies. No actual Meadows or Byrne founded it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭RINO87

Gen.Zhukov wrote: »
    'This is art' (young artists) promo on RTE...it's just torture to listen to. Those voices/accents...christ.

This grinds my gears also.... Maybe its the hammy "SO C'MON" that they seem to need to shoehorn into anything "4 de Kidz".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

It's one of those fake hipstery name Something & Something companies. No actual Meadows or Byrne founded it.

Companies with stupid made up names have always irritated me - Lolly and Cooks, Pull and Bear, Gym+Coffee etc.... I know it is a harsh thing to say - but may Covid19 claim them all.

They could at least change their name to something less irritating or more sensible, after all A-Wear (remember them?) did change their name from GayWear at one point. I remember being dragged into Gaywear in Stillorgan by me mam at one point in the late 70's and hoping no-one from school would see me.

dogmatix wrote: »
    Companies with stupid made up names have always irritated me - Lolly and Cooks, Pull and Bear, Gym+Coffee etc.... I know it is a harsh thing to say - but may Covid19 claim them all.

They could at least change their name to something less irritating or more sensible, after all A-Wear (remember them?) did change their name from GayWear at one point. I remember being dragged into Gaywear in Stillorgan by me mam at one point in the late 70's and hoping no-one from school would see me.

I'm seeing them everywhere lately and I hate them! It must be the brainchild of some marketing guru. Tesco have 2 brands of nappies "Fred & Flo" and "Rascal and Friends"............not to mention that ****e coffee you get everywhere "Frank & Honest"..... give me a break!! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

I know it's for a children's charity but the thank you for aoibhinns pink tie is like nails on a blackboard....dis dat dese and doze

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

I'm seeing them everywhere lately and I hate them! It must be the brainchild of some marketing guru. Tesco have 2 brands of nappies "Fred & Flo" and "Rascal and Friends"............not to mention that ****e coffee you get everywhere "Frank & Honest"..... give me a break!! :mad:

Surely you've heard of the founders David Frank and Barbara Honest??:rolleyes:

Don't get me started on another type of name such as: "Søstrene Grene"

Surely you've heard of the founders David Frank and Barbara Honest??:rolleyes:

Don't get me started on another type of name such as: "Søstrene Grene"

Founded by Danish sisters named Grene, fair enough and at least they didn't Oirish it up specially for their outlets here, calling it The Sisters O'Green or something.

It's the Bean & Leaf/Wolf & Pickle/Badger & Dodo type names that are just stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,939 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Used to drink in a pub called the Frog and Rhubarb, known locally as the Toad and Custard.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

L1011 wrote: »
    I'm presuming the Bothar investigation saved us from Goat this year?

Good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭crazy 88

L1011 wrote: »
    I'm presuming the Bothar investigation saved us from Goat this year?

donkey is really pulling his weight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭Dickie10

that ad for HIA where the person on the ad says they are a cat for some reason because as it explains its a radio ad and you cant see me, the cat, who talks very sleazy for some reason? i really dont get why the cat ever came into the ad for or why he seems so horrible and sleazy

Think it's Virgin mobile, got an ad with monotonous Xmas bell music that sounds like a festive Angelus.

Dickie10 wrote: »
    that ad for HIA where the person on the ad says they are a cat for some reason because as it explains its a radio ad and you cant see me, the cat, who talks very sleazy for some reason? i really dont get why the cat ever came into the ad for or why he seems so horrible and sleazy

I think it's the same voiceover that did that very same sleazy voice for a social welfare fraud ad?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,578 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

The IKEA ad.
    'Pass me the blanket' (or something)
    'The cat's on it'
    'You taught the cat to pass the blanket...'

FFS. I would take 'the cat's on it' to mean the cat is sitting/ lying/ sleeping on it. I know it's for the purpose of the ad, but it's stupid.

Fred and Rose would be a good name for a landscaping company!

Fred and Rose would be a good name for a landscaping company!

Or a small hotel.
    Come for the weather, stay for the garden.

Or a small hotel.
    Come for the weather, stay for the garden.

......and try out our lovely new patio area, you'll never leave....!

......and try out our lovely new patio area, you'll never leave....!

Fred West Gardening, BBC Radio Bristol..

"Arr. Be about this time of year y'ed wanto be planting some bodies."

• Registered Users Posts: 55,473 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

There is an ad for sexual harassment where a girl is teaching a guy how to do squats in a gym AGAINST HIS WILL.

Jesus who comes up with these scenarios.

The outro of the as suggests calling 999 if you think someone is in danger. How would that conversation go?

"Jesus, Guard, she just put another 10kg on his bar and he's struggling. Someone come quick before he hurts his knees".

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Mr E wrote: »
    There is an ad for sexual harassment where a girl is teaching a guy how to do squats in a gym AGAINST HIS WILL.

Jesus who comes up with these scenarios.

The outro of the as suggests calling 999 if you think someone is in danger. How would that conversation go?

"Jesus, Guard, she just put another 10kg on his bar and he's struggling. Someone come quick before he hurts his knees".

The lad in that Ad shouldn't be allowed to go to work without his mammy - truly pathetic stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,294 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

New Covid ad with the poshest auld Irish lady (the kind that couldn't possibly speak in her native accent) money can buy getting pretty annoying now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    New Covid ad with the poshest auld Irish lady (the kind that couldn't possibly speak in her native accent) money can buy getting pretty annoying now.

Sounds a little bit like Geraldine plunkett.

The National "Loddery" ad with the "gift responsibly" tagline.

"Gift" as a verb is odious enough, why responsibly? Is it meant to be funny like a parody of an alcohol ad, or a warning not to buy a fcuk ton of "loddery" tickets?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Irish Rail ad:

bookaticket..
    bookaticket..
    bookaticket..
    bookaticket..
    bookaticket..
    bookaticket

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭crazy 88

Irish Rail ad:

bookaticket..
    bookaticket..
    bookaticket..
    bookaticket..
    bookaticket..
    bookaticket

bookaticket................bookaticket................bookaticket...............bookaticket
    ................bookaticket................bookaticket...............bookaticket................

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

"move over adults, we can fix the world!'

Spoken by some kid advertising the BT young scientist awards.

I've not seen much encouragement from the youngsters around my area that they could fix a lunch, let alone the world!! More of this Greta crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

SpitfireIV wrote: »
    "move over adults, we can fix the world!'

Spoken by some kid advertising the BT young scientist awards.

I've not seen much encouragement from the youngsters around my area that they could fix a lunch, let alone the world!! More of this Greta crap.

All in favour of 'Greta crap' but the sad truth is that most kids are, like their parents, only interested in themselves, weed, phone credit and the latest celeb non-entity rather than fixing the world.

some children are fantastic for innovation, behaviour and general good future citizens, i have taught in three different schools and found the are almost all from the same type of cohort family. rural, middle class

Personally, I'm glad that Greta gets under the skin of some grumpy old bastards.
    I include myself in that :)

• Advertisement

Personally, I'm glad that Greta gets under the skin of some grumpy old bastards.
    I include myself in that :)

Shame the young ones forgot all about her and moved onto whatever the next TikTok craze is.
    Greta is so 2019.

Advertisement