Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

Can he get to limerick before the government advised ban on travelling outside the county?

Find out next time. Same bat time, same bat channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭C0N0R

banie01 wrote: »
    Was it Unkel that is looking for a blue YM?
    Saw this in the window of Keane's in Limerick if it's any help?

MVIMG-20200918-102944.jpg

€11400?

There are a number on Chrono24 for under 10k from dealers with box and papers it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,517 ✭✭✭✭banie01

C0N0R wrote: »
    €11400?

Yep, they have a rootbeer in the window too.

36k!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭micks_address

blue5000 wrote: »
    Personally I'd wait a few months and buy used. PPL who tend to buy these 'limited editions' are in mho serial flippers, they can't wait to offload when the next new shiny object catches their eye and they have to have it.

I see they have a 6R35 movement. Good power reserve there at 70 hours compared to 40 odd in the 4R 36, any better accuracy? Crown at 3 and no crown guard would put me off. Is there a ceramic bezel?

Oh I see you got the pics at Hodinkee :(

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/seiko-prospex-spb143-spb145-spb147-and-spb149-introducing

edit; sorry, I see it's only the blue dial version is limited to 5500 pieces.

I'd agree with this. Seems to come up a lot on tz forums..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭893bet

hitemfrank wrote: »
    Can he get to limerick before the government advised ban on travelling outside the county?

Find out next time. Same bat time, same bat channel.

It seems like this could be classified as an essential trip.

I think that's something we can all get behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

I'd agree with this. Seems to come up a lot on tz forums..

If anyone has access to the sales corner, let me know if there's a grey one (SPB143J1) for decent money. Wouldn't mind trying one out if there's a deal to be made and potential to flip at minimal loss. Happy to cover a finders fee if someone could bid for me as a proxy.

IIRC correctly the bezel insert is milled steel and circular brushed for a matt finish. There's a lot of chatter online about the famous Seiko QC, bezel alignment and lume pip off centre. Seems to be 50/50 chance of getting a good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,741 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

retail on the yachtmaster is high alright

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Fitz II

banie01 wrote: »
    Was it Unkel that is looking for a blue YM?
    Saw this in the window of Keane's in Limerick if it's any help?

MVIMG-20200918-102944.jpg

Two tone Skydweller for 16800...thats a big price increase lately, dont know its worth that much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,517 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Fitz II wrote: »
    Two tone Skydweller for 16800...thats a big price increase lately, dont know its worth that much.

I should have taken a shot of the whole display, sorry.

They had a pavé dialled sub (I may be wrong on the model, it could have been a YM, wife was rusging me and I only had quick glance) and a couple of all black bezeled watches in there too. Kind reminiscent of bamford and @25k :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 64,916 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Thanks for the heads up banie!

Might just drive over to try it on - the fuel for my car is free after all :D

As much as I'd love to buy it, I couldn't justify paying that price of €11400 (which is Rolex retail price) for it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭893bet

Is the Milgauss gone yet? I know you had a deal agreed with someone.

Not gone yet. I was planning to pick it up after I went away for a few days next week.

Won't be leaving the county so maybe I'll pick it up next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Tried this on today. Bonus landed last week and I got a large pay rise too. Liked it but I think I'd rather wait a while and buy a speedie or go all out and get a day date. Worked out around €3250 on current exchange rates.

https://www.breitling.com/om-en/watches/navitimer/navitimer-automatic-41/A17326211G1/

Tried this on today. Bonus landed last week and I got a large pay rise too. Liked it but I think I'd rather wait a while and buy a speedie or go all out and get a day date. Worked out around €3250 on current exchange rates.

https://www.breitling.com/om-en/watches/navitimer/navitimer-automatic-41/A17326211G1/

Going to say it, you dont want a non-chrono navitimer, you have to go with the classic on that watch. For me Speedie is a better move, the Navi is a very large watch. Day date...well yes but thats a totally different league, and if you are in that game dont mess with the lower end stuff at all and go straight there. Date day is pure class.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,741 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Going to say it, you dont want a non-chrono navitimer, you have to go with the classic on that watch. For me Speedie is a better move, the Navi is a very large watch. Day date...well yes but thats a totally different league, and if you are in that game dont mess with the lower end stuff at all and go straight there. Date day is pure class.

Yeah agree with fitz if you are getting a navi get the chrono .

What’s a day date retailing at now ? 30/35k? That’s a big jump from that !

Day date or datejust would be my end of contract bonus gift to myself. Need to get to the end of contract first though. Delayed gratification and all that!

Day date or datejust would be my end of contract bonus gift to myself. Need to get to the end of contract first though. Delayed gratification and all that!

If you can spend 30k after tax on a watch in the near future, dont mess around with lower end stuff. Buy a moonwatch if needs must those can be shifted on like lighteningn if you bore of it.

If you can spend 30k after tax on a watch in the near future, dont mess around with lower end stuff. Buy a moonwatch if needs must those can be shifted on like lighteningn if you bore of it.

If I do buy one it won't be new. 30k wouldn't be on my radar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

I've been watching the Tour de France and I noticed last week that the French rider Julian Alaphilippe of the Deceuninck-Quick-Step team (Sam Bennett's team) was wearing a wristwatch while riding in the race which isn't something riders do. I Googled it and found it's a very expensive Richard Mille.
    There must be some commercial promotion thing going on as I doubt any rider would be stupid enough to wear an expensive watch he paid for himself while training let alone in a professional road race.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,232 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Richard Mille, now there's a watch, even if I had unlimited money, I'll never own. Poxy looking things!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭redlead

There must be some commercial promotion thing going on as I doubt any rider would be stupid enough to wear an expensive watch ]

Richard Mille must be the most Alaphilippe watch there is:-)

Smart bit of business by RM if it is because he probably gets more attention than any other French rider and has that F1 sort of personality they go for.

oxocube wrote: »
    Downloaded it, just in case ;)

And its gone again by the looks of it. I was looking forward to that because its one of my favourite movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭micks_address

redlead wrote: »

Smart bit of business by RM if it is because he probably gets more attention than any other French rider and has that F1 sort of personality they go for.

What's the deal with Richard mille are they up there in terms of quality or just a insanely priced high end fashion watch? I see them a lot on f1 drivers

What's the deal with Richard mille are they up there in terms of quality or just a insanely priced high end fashion watch? I see them a lot on f1 drivers

They sponsor three F1 teams as far as I know, more than any other brand. Watch companies love F1, I think Williams are the only brand without a sponsor.

The cost of RM is so crazy, they couldn't be worth the money, but what watch is? They're kind of a statement piece for lots of sports people or celebrities with new money. Kind of like Hublot for millennials. You see them on lots of footballers. I'd love to get a hold of one in my
    hand. They almost look plasticy to me from seeing them on TV. They aren't really my cup of tea but some of them do look okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

redlead wrote: »

You obviously know your pro-cyclists, what watch would Peter Sagan wear?

Bennett is more Mr. Nice, probably a Rolex sports watch in ss for Sam.

You obviously know your pro-cyclists, what watch would Peter Sagan wear?

Bennett is more Mr. Nice, probably a Rolex sports watch in ss for Sam.

Funny that you ask, Sagans background is in mountain biking so I was thinking something more sports orientated and colourful (maybe like those new Breitling gshock type watches) and then I googled it out of curiosity and found this. I couldn't have been further off. He actually collects vintage Japanese watches! Mad the amount of people into watches that you wouldn't realise.

https://www.velonews.com/events/peter-sagan-and-daniel-oss-watch-band-of-brothers/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

At what point do people start considering a mechanical automatic watch as ultra thin? 6, 7, 8, 9mm?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,916 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Dunno. Totally arbitrary but 9mm thin, 7mm ultra thin?

Advertisement