Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,058 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Damn looks like you're right 893 bet. It says "If the VAT payable is €6 or less it will not be collected" but then immediately after it says this exemption will be abolished. Poorly written document.

And that is pretty awful. I buy a lot of very cheap items from China, many of them worth €0.99 including free shipping or a few quid. This €0.99 part can now cost €€11-€16 including free shipment, but depending on the admin charge from the courier :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,818 ✭✭✭893bet

Yeah the days of screen protectors, hdmi cables etc are coming to an end.

Need to be careful of getting caught by cheap “drop shippers” also

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

893bet wrote: »
    No ore cheap tat from China. And no more expensive tat from China labelled as cheap tat.

22 euro and 6 euro rules are abolished.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058104431

"Did anyone see this change covered in the media?"

Think 'the media' were preoccupied with a different type of Chinese import. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,571 ✭✭✭✭banie01

The Chinese have being major logistics operations and hubs into EU and EU trade agreement nations for the last 18 months or so in anticipation of this.

Lots of orders are consolidated, containerised and forwarded to Poland, Turkey, Belgium and NL as a means of circumventing the upcoming changes.

Border control and Tariff clearance will pick up the origin tho.

Turkey?

• Advertisement

Turkey?

Yep, huge amount of containers into logistics centres in Turkey Via rail from China.
    Shipments then broken down and sorted, and shipped to customer direct from Turkey.

Turkey has an FTA and customs union with EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭saccades

Anyone know if Seiko has a larger 42mm plus that looks just like the Seiko SNXS73? Love it but it's bit too small

Go on here:http://www.watchsleuth.com

It lists pretty much every Seiko ever and you can hunt by the things important to you.

I like the Ryu Street fighter watch, not as much as the recent gundam 40th anniversary watch though.

https://www.shoppinginjapan.net/gundam-sbdb033

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭redlead

banie01 wrote: »
    The Chinese have being major logistics operations and hubs into EU and EU trade agreement nations for the last 18 months or so in anticipation of this.

Lots of orders are consolidated, containerised and forwarded to Poland, Turkey, Belgium and NL as a means of circumventing the upcoming changes.

Border control and Tariff clearance will pick up the origin tho.

I got an aliexpress phone battery last week and the parcel had the Netherlands tags plastered all over it so sounds like something like the above.

What's the story with all those grey market electronics dealers based in Hong Kong? I've bought a couple of phones and games consoles from them and there never seems to be anything due on them. Is that just me getting lucky or are they circumventing it somehow? The likes of EglobalEU...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

Anyone have or ordered the new Casio Gbx 100 with the dot matrix display?

My Accutron is running annoyingly slow when worn.
    It's losing about 4 seconds per minute on the wrist, which for a watch that's meant to be super accurate is a pain. It's running slow face up too.
    Have already been in touch with the guy who did the work and he will sort it out, but the thoughts of sending it away again irk me :(
    Especially with the delays on US postage stateside at present.

I'm like a spoiled bloody child! :pac:

Also after seeing the asking price for those Kreisler bracelets it will be going in the post head only.
    I must search out some nice 18mm straps, maybe even an arched/fitted strap set.
    I think it would be quite nice on a deployant leather.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭micks_address

That's a pain. He should have tested before posting. Would there be anyone in UK that could sort? Money out but if wasn't to expensive might be quicker? That said I had something from US in five days last week via USPS
    My Accutron is running annoyingly slow when worn.
    It's losing about 4 seconds per minute on the wrist, which for a watch that's meant to be super accurate is a pain. It's running slow face up too.
    Have already been in touch with the guy who did the work and he will sort it out, but the thoughts of sending it away again irk me :(
    Especially with the delays on US postage stateside at present.

I'm like a spoiled bloody child! :pac:

Also after seeing the asking price for those Kreisler bracelets it will be going in the post head only.
    I must search out some nice 18mm straps, maybe even an arched/fitted strap set.
    I think it would be quite nice on a deployant leather.

That's a pain. He should have tested before posting. Would there be anyone in UK that could sort? Money out but if wasn't to expensive might be quicker? That said I had something from US in five days last week via USPS

I think I've seen one company doing accutrons in the UK, I will take a look in the morning.

I'm researched out at the mo from writing a couple of papers today.
    Little bit more to do tmrw and that's hopefully me finished until December ;)

This can't be true can it?
    Taken from a thread on TZ-UK.
    https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?478861-Rolex-ADs-just-getting-silly!
    Rolex AD basically looking for a WIS CV before adding someone to the wait list to possibly buy a watch?
    “We are asking clients if they would like to submit a customer bio to put forward to the allocations team. I can submit your previous purchases at ****, but if you would like to write a few lines about your interest in the timepiece, where it would fit in your current collection, what watches you envisage in your future collection and maybe some additional information about what stage you are at in your life, why you are investing in Rolex timepieces, if you have any friends or colleagues that shop with us, etc. This will all be put forward and considered when the team allocate the timepieces, as you know we do not operate on a first come, first served basis.“

Absolute madness IMO, but that said quite a clever strategy in convincing those who'd choose to go through buying this way...
    That they have been assessed and found "worthy" of a Rolex and get to join a select few.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,818 ✭✭✭893bet

Rolex ADs are terrified of losing their status.

Rolex has been known to take action against ADs whose watches are constantly in grey windows or on eBay.

Then this is the type of ****e you get. The AD are handing you an asset at 10-50% below market value.

Meh. Ridiculous but understandable.

893bet wrote: »

Meh. Ridiculous but understandable.

I totally get the Rolex effort to ensure that sales are to genuine end customers and try to limit the numbers of watches hitting the secondary market straight away.

They are walking a tightrope in managing the supply and still stoking demand.
    It flies in the face of what would be normal marketing practice, but it's a strategy that really works for them.

Honestly though, if I rock up to an AD willing to be waitlisted, willing to wait a year or more and was asked for a piece of prose that basically amounts to "Why I deserve a Rolex"
    I'd probably go and buy an Omega or something...

Still!
    Considering Rolex have waitlists for most of their SS models and I 'm not really their target market :P
    I doubt they'd really care :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,244 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Saw something on Instagram the other day - the caption was something like "You never actually own a Rolex, your children just inherit your place in the waiting list"

• Registered Users Posts: 14,248 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

This can't be true can it?
    Taken from a thread on TZ-UK.
    https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?478861-Rolex-ADs-just-getting-silly!
    Rolex AD basically looking for a WIS CV before adding someone to the wait list to possibly buy a watch?

As long as people are queuing up to buy them, they can do what they like.

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Cant believe everything you read online, if a few people said it and named the ad then it would be worth believing but that’s just my opinion

Especially on internet forums :)

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

Question for those who are more familiar with importing watches...

If I was to buy a watch on Gnomn for $440, what sort of VAT / Import Fee / Extra Delivery fee would I be looking at?

No import duty but if intercepted you'd pay 23% VRT (about €100) plus the admin charge from the courier (€10-€20 typically). Couple quid cheaper from next week with the reduced VAT tariff :p

• Advertisement

Good info unkle. Most likely not worth it so.

If anyone is selling a Seiko Cocktail time let me know. I'd be interested in having a chat!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭Homer

Pablo_Flox wrote: »

If anyone is selling a Seiko Cocktail time let me know. I'd be interested in having a chat!

One up on adverts but price is a bit spicy. Probably room for negotiation maybe? What was the price from gnomon?

Pablo_Flox wrote: »

There is of course the chance that you do not get intercepted. Depending on what it is and how it is marked. Chinese sellers have a habit to severely under-declare the value of the goods shipped :p

Most of the higher value stuff I have received from the USA / far East (excluding China) over the last few years has indeed been intercepted though...

Homer wrote: »
    One up on adverts but price is a bit spicy. Probably room for negotiation maybe? What was the price from gnomon?

Saw the one on Adverts, but definitely over priced. Can get a brand new one <$300 on WatchShop.com. Also, not so keen on that colour.

Folks, apart from replacing pins and guides?
    Is there any other method of reducing slack/play/stretch in a steel bracelet?

I'm assuming no?
    My Kreisler coffin link has a bit of stretch that I'd love to address if possible?
    Not a huge issue, and certainly not at all bad but I'm hoping it's addressable.

Thought or discussion point of the day,,............'pocket watches have made a comeback, now they're called mobile phones'.

Back to the future?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,879 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Folks, apart from replacing pins and guides?
    Is there any other method of reducing slack/play/stretch in a steel bracelet?

I'm assuming no?
    My Kreisler coffin link has a bit of stretch that I'd love to address if possible?
    Not a huge issue, and certainly not at all bad but I'm hoping it's addressable.

I know there’s a guy that’s does Rolex bracelets but it’s a big job and takes time

Seth at the watch doctors could be worth a shout

Cyrus wrote: »
    I know there’s a guy that’s does Rolex bracelets but it’s a big job and takes time

Seth at the watch doctors could be worth a shout

Thanks for that Cyrus, will take a look.

Thought or discussion point of the day,,............'pocket watches have made a comeback, now they're called mobile phones'.

Back to the future?

I don't need a blue light filter on my watch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

So what do people make of Rolex's new announcements? Apparently we had a few people queuing outside Weirs this morning :D

Advertisement