Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Larsso30

I think your right here, Fury is a riddle to me. I have never seen anything his has done in the ring as special, I sometimes think am I missing something with him?

His fans do go on as if he is a master boxer, anyway maybe he will go out and beat the current big two and I will have to give him some kudos.

But at the moment I think he is mostly hype and even fans of his have to admit he has looked s***e on his return.

agreed.

Hes without the juice now too.

To be honest if fury was fighting in my garden id not commit to watching it. i dont find his style appealing at all

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Fury very overated just because he has good boxing skills & speed for a man so big & out of shape.

Wilder is awkward & even quicker then Fury. Will KO him easily. Cash out fight for Fury.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Taytoland

Fury will be even lighter by the time of the fight and will bring in top sparring partners, bomb throwers and I just think he will quickly work Wilder out and take control of the fight. Wilder HAS to knock him out to win. That's big pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,692 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Taytoland wrote: »
    Fury will be even lighter by the time of the fight and will bring in top sparring partners, bomb throwers and I just think he will quickly work Wilder out and take control of the fight. Wilder HAS to knock him out to win. That's big pressure.

Why does he have to knock Fury out?

Fury isn’t some shoe-in here for a points win...

Wilder is huge, rangy, has decent enough boxing ability when he commits to boxing..

Fury is not going to go in there and be guaranteed a points win should it go the distance..

Like some have said, his boxing ability/skills are overrated..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,741 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

walshb wrote: »

Wilder is huge, rangy, has decent enough boxing ability when he commits to boxing..

Fury is not going to go in there and be guaranteed a points win should it go the distance..

if it goes the distance its a fury win, there's no doubt about that.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Taytoland

Taytoland wrote: »

Wasn't Ortiz beating Wilder on points before he stopped Ortiz? Fury will win the contest of jabs and I think his movement will be better, feet will be better and all round defense. If Fury is in "very good" condition for the fight, maybe another 10 pounds off him then Fury all day. He was 247 vs Klitschko, so if he can get just near that then great. He was 258 for Pianeta.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Larsso30

as much as i do not like Fury, i very much on the fence about him and wilder.

I can see fury making it very , very boring, and limiting what wilder can do to him, he can be evasive.

wilder has limited boxing ability, i do not care what anyone says, but he has got god given power and if he lands i think he stops fury i just not convinced he lands on fury.

that said, fury needs to be super fit to implement that kind of game plan, obviously will be off the peds for this one too!!

Cyrus wrote: »

Even if it’s Fury spoiling and surviving all night?? That not a possibility here?

Unable to impose any kind of winning offense of his own..

Even if it’s Fury spoiling and surviving all night?? That not a possibility here?

No, if it goes the distance fury will win, Wilders chance is a punchers one, fury would box rings around him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

If he gets a fair shake on the scorecards, which is no guarantee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭megadodge

Ah here!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Mayweather made a decent career with that style of boxing. You didn't rate him back in the day either.

Mayweather made a decent career with that style of boxing. You didn't rate him back in the day either.

Always rated Mayweather. Not as much in his later years..

You blow in here now and again. That would explain your post here..

megadodge wrote: »
    Ah here!!!

Personally I think an in-form Fury is a pretty good boxer with skills...

Some of his nuthugger fans think he’s out of this world. I think people overrate and over exaggerate here..

Take his Wlad performance...

Many were in absolute awe....I was more in huh? This supposedly his prime..

I wasn’t alone either...

So yes, people do overrate his boxing skills/ability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Sprinter Sacre

Wilder was getting outboxed hard by Szpilka, there's no way in hell he outboxes Fury, even this version of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭megadodge

Some of his nuthugger fans think he’s out of this world. I think people overrate and over exaggerate here..

I wasn’t alone either...

I don't necessarily disagree with that, it's the fact that you (and you alone) rated Wilder's boxing 'skills' that I was really highlighting.

That's the ultimate overrating.

Wilder was getting outboxed hard by Szpilka, there's no way in hell he outboxes Fury, even this version of him.

He was not..

This is the exact over exaggeration..

Wilder was ahead on all the cards....

I watched the fight. Your post implies his opponent was in complete control...

He was not.

megadodge wrote: »
    I don't necessarily disagree with that, it's the fact that you (and you alone) rated Wilder's boxing 'skills' that I was really highlighting.

That's the ultimate overrating.

Then highlight in bold that. You highlighted something completely different.

Edit: I see that you did. My bad..

I don’t overrate him. He can be neat and tidy when he tries. That is all I have really claimed.

In a nutshell it’s Fury getting a bit overrated and Wilder a bit underrated.

He was not..

This is the exact over exaggeration..

Wilder was ahead on all the cards....

I watched the fight. Your post implies his opponent was in complete control...

He was not.

LOL he was also ahead on the cards against Ortiz and there was no way in hell he was winning that fight. You would want to braindead to have Wilder ahead against Szpilka. He barely won 2 rounds.

LOL he was also ahead on the cards against Ortiz and there was no way in hell he was winning that fight. You would want to braindead to have Wilder ahead against Szpilka. He barely won 2 rounds.

So he was getting clearly beaten?

Yet all 3 judges had him ahead?

It’s like you want it to be true so much...

• Advertisement

So he was getting clearly beaten?

Yet all 3 judges had him ahead?

It’s like you want it to be true so much...

You act as if the big name fighter doesn't get the rub of the green in these things...I'd love to see you do a round by round breakdown and tell me how the official scorecards were accurate.

You act as if the big name fighter doesn't get the rub of the green in these things...I'd love to see you do a round by round breakdown and tell me how the official scorecards were accurate.

You are saying, or at least implying that Wilder was being clearly beaten/outboxed. It’s up to you to show these rds..

I did not see what you are claiming..

Nor did the three professional judges..

• Registered Users Posts: 20,555 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

To behonest i had Ortoz beating Wilder when he was stopped , but it was close i only had him up by a round
    Walsh is right all 3 hudges had Wilder up by one round , Its safe to say it was a good close fight till Wilder ko'd

I wasn’t alone either...

So schooling the unified champion on his home turf was huh yet wilder knocking out bum after bum is amazing

Just because you post here all the time doesn’t mean you know everything

• Registered Users Posts: 19,117 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I wasn’t alone either...

Ah, there has to be some credit given to the fact that being controlled awkward to the extent that your opponent can't figure you out is a skill in itself. Whether that's a specific tactic or just chance due to clash of styles is not 100% relevant.

When I say "controlled awkward" I just mean awkward but not doing stupid things that get you knocked out

An analogy might be GAA people giving out about negative Nordie teams. It might not be good to watch, but if they win their match then that's what counts for them at the end of it. They don't have to be kicking the ball long and fast for them to be effective and win

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭squinn2912

As someone who hails from the North I take exception to that. Plenty of deep south teams employ very defensive tactics also - it's what Galway based their resurgence on. Look at the Meath teams in the glory years. In 2000 Armagh had the best footballing team in the country and they went to Croker and Kerry pipped them, with plenty of rough play. Jim made a blueprint on how to tackle the Dubs as well and most teams have copied something like that since. Teams like Cork, Clare, Carlow and so on don't play a lovely brand of football and neither do Mayo or Kildare. Roscommon have nice players and look what happened to them in the super 8s.
    On this fight I think Fury is going to give Wilder all he wants. Feb would suit him better than November but he is improving fast. If he wants it enough I think he'll win but if he's just there to be there then it's a Wilder KO for me. So my thinking is that Fury holds the keys and what he does with it depends on him, not so much Wilder.

So schooling the unified champion on his home turf was huh yet wilder knocking out bum after bum is amazing

Just because you post here all the time doesn’t mean you know everything

Sorry, but not everyone thought Fury “schooled” Wlad..

There was barely a fooking punch landed the whole night by either man...

But if pulling and dragging and holding and spoiling is your idea of “schooling,” fine. I prefer actual substance, punching, landing, controlling and variation; you know, boxing!

As for knowing everything? I don’t. I just know enough..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,117 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

squinn2912 wrote: »
    As someone who hails from the North I take exception to that. Plenty of deep south teams employ very defensive tactics also - it's what Galway based their resurgence on. Look at the Meath teams in the glory years. In 2000 Armagh had the best footballing team in the country and they went to Croker and Kerry pipped them, with plenty of rough play. Jim made a blueprint on how to tackle the Dubs as well and most teams have copied something like that since. Teams like Cork, Clare, Carlow and so on don't play a lovely brand of football and neither do Mayo or Kildare. Roscommon have nice players and look what happened to them in the super 8s.
    On this fight I think Fury is going to give Wilder all he wants. Feb would suit him better than November but he is improving fast. If he wants it enough I think he'll win but if he's just there to be there then it's a Wilder KO for me. So my thinking is that Fury holds the keys and what he does with it depends on him, not so much Wilder.

Ah, I wasn't trying to insult anyone. At the risk of dragging it off topic, I take it you're a big fan of Pat Spillane? ;) A great footballer was Pat.

(I won't mention the football again.)

I agree with your point though that the Fury that turns up on the night will depend on himself rather than what is in front of him. He's a looper but I hope the best version of himself turns up on the night. I'd like to see him win it. I think that on top form, he would win it rather than Wilder lose it. Will he hit top form or even anywhere near it? - I have no idea. Odds are probably against it. But I hope he does.

Sorry, but not everyone thought Fury “schooled” Wlad..

There was barely a fooking punch landed the whole night by either man...

But if pulling and dragging and holding and spoiling is your idea of “schooling,” fine. I prefer actual substance, punching, landing, controlling and variation; you know, boxing!

As for knowing everything? I don’t. I just know enough..

Well you are a big proponent of the judges scoring and the margin was 5 rounds with one so yes he schooled him and this was in the lions den

We will see if you know enough won’t we !

• Advertisement

Well you are a big proponent of the judges scoring and the margin was 5 rounds with one so yes he schooled him and this was in the lions den

We will see if you know enough won’t we !

You do realize that judges cards alone don’t necessarily indicate a dominant win, or clear win? Cards tell the winner. The fight and what happened tell the story..clear win on cards does not always mean a clear win in the fight and its action..plenty cards can differ and have differing verdicts and results..

Go watch some fights like Pacman/Margarito, Pacman-Oscar, Floyd/Coralles, Calzaghe/Lacy and some more before bandying around the term schooled to describe Fury’s win over Wlad..

Advertisement