Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Predator (reboot)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

This is starting to shape up nicely, while my expectations are low, they are starting to rise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Yeah. Definitely has me more optimistic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,821 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Any else think the second predator looks awful ?
    He looked like something from the sci-fy channel .
    Also isn't this the same plot as Jurassic Park , old enemy is needed to be on the human sides to save them from the lab created monster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

It does look pretty good :) Initially I thought was going to be set in suburbia and feature a family with kids fighting a predator in their neighbourhood, but this look kinda brutal in a good way!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Have people been watching the same trailer ?

The same road Jurassic World went down ... let's make it bigger,meaner and louder!!!
    Surely that will make a better film!!

Never mind about story and atmosphere .... meh looks like it will be a typical Hollywood $$$ maker with a terrible story and just effects.

I will give it a chance tho, trailers can be deceptive.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Yeah but "more of the same only bigger" describes all sequels, even the good ones. It doesn't mean there isn't a decent story or interesting twist on the formula, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Yeah but "more of the same only bigger" describes all sequels, even the good ones. It doesn't mean there isn't a decent story or interesting twist on the formula, etc.

It's tough for it to work, Terminator 2 is a good example.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

A new Predator film is always in a weird position: it's not necessarily the world's biggest IP, but it has a hardy, steadfast fandom. It's also not a particularly rich, diverse mythology or world, so there are only so many story variants you can tell without going to the well of "more of everything" every time. In fact, Shane Black is probably a more famous, marketable name at this stage than the actual subject matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Enjoyed that trailer. Loved the use of Sonny Landham's laugh at the end!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Am too lazy to check back if it was mentioned previously, but apparently in February there were extensive reshoots that made wholesale changes to the final act of the film. I'm guessing given how recent the trailers are they include said reshoots, but who knows.

I also didn't spot any mention whether Shane Black was involved with the writing / directing of the rejig, which would be my main concern.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Comments from the actors would suggest Black was definitely behind the reshoots:

https://www.slashfilm.com/the-predator-reshoots/

Three quarters of the third act is probably 20-25 minutes worth. That's nothing these days when practically whole movies and television pilots get re-shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Just a few weeks away now. Final trailer below, looks nice and gory. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I kinda stopped paying attention after the first trailer. It seemed to be belabouring the sciency stuff but hopefully that's more indicative of the tone.

Interested again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

lol at the comments "transformers without the transformers" :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

This is the film Suicide Squad should have been!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Oh ye.

We took a vote.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Why is the Predator like 15 feet tall? Is this yet another variant like in the last one?

Good to see Thomas Jane in that trailer, I didn't know he was in this. Hopefully he won't be killed off too soon; I'd prefer to see him as the lead to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭Defunkd

Kiith wrote: »
    Why is the Predator like 15 feet tall? Is this yet another variant like in the last one?
    It was hybridized by scientists i think. Like Jurassic Park...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

This is more based on the comics than the previous films can't wait

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

looks a little tongue in cheek ??

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭BillyHasMates

I'm not expecting much. I'm a massive fan of the first 2 movies but really disliked the Predator related movies made since then. The trailers for this one looks like it's going to be more of the same. A big focus on action, stunt work and special effects with the characters trying to prove who is the more badass. Definitely a different direction to the first movies where they focused more on building the tension surrounding the Predator's appearance and having the characters genuinely ****ting it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

It's very hard to continue in that vein once the viewer is very familiar with the monster though, something that's left the Alien movies pretty rudderless too. I'm somewhat hopeful because of Shane Black, but very cautiously so.

mikhail wrote: »
    It's very hard to continue in that vein once the viewer is very familiar with the monster though, something that's left the Alien movies pretty rudderless too. I'm somewhat hopeful because of Shane Black, but very cautiously so.

Yea I agree. I just hope they don't go full on with the unbelievably ridiculous stunt work / special effect choreography formula dressed up with lame dialogue and bad acting. In other words that it has a bit more than the generic modern day action film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Defunkd wrote: »
    It was hybridized by scientists i think. Like Jurassic Park...

Shane Black said in an interview it's like the cheating, steroid/juicer version of the Predators, so I don't think this guy is a lab experiment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,582 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Can't say I agree with the optimism here - that trailer looks like pure scutter to me......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,289 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Can't say I agree with the optimism here - that trailer looks like pure scutter to me......

The tone is all off ,its like a comedy ,I was half expecting Jason Statham to turn up and beat the Predator up with his bare fists .

The reshoots look like the kid storyline has been completely deleted.

The reshoots look like the kid storyline has been completely deleted.

:confused:

The reshoots were to reshoot some setpieces, particularly the finale, to change it from daytime to night time, as the predator in action just wasn't as effective in the day time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭verycool

:confused:

The reshoots were to reshoot some setpieces, particularly the finale, to change it from daytime to night time, as the predator in action just wasn't as effective in the day time.

Is that just a nicer way of saying "it looked like sh*t"? :pac:

Don't really like the comedy here... Almost too cocky or try-hard (the Hunter line in the trailer).

Then again it's a feckin' Predator movie so it's not really meant to be high brow either.

verycool wrote: »
    Is that just a nicer way of saying "it looked like sh*t"? :pac:

100% :pac:

Hopefully it's not be as outright comedic as that last trailer makes out. Maybe marketing just went nuts on the comedy side of things, which is a bad move given you want a Predator movie to be bad a$$, with some touches of humour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

100% :pac:

Hopefully it's not be as outright comedic as that last trailer makes out. Maybe marketing just went nuts on the comedy side of things, which is a bad move given you want a Predator movie to be bad a$$, with some touches of humour.

They've got that Key from Peele & Key so I think it might be heavy on comedy.
    I can't take that guy seriously at all, ever since I saw him on one of those "Pets do the funniest things" shows.

razorblunt wrote: »
    I can't take that guy seriously at all, ever since I saw him on one of those "Pets do the funniest things" shows.

Neither can I.

Keep expecting him to come out with "So I said *whispers* BIIIIIIIIIIIIIITCH!" throughout the trailer. I've been conditioned!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Beach Fuzz

razorblunt wrote: »
    verycool wrote: »
    Neither can I.

Keep expecting him to come out with "So I said *whispers* BIIIIIIIIIIIIIITCH!" throughout the trailer. I've been conditioned!

That's down to your own perceptions of him though. He's just one of an ensemble cast of about nine or ten so I wouldn't say it'll be heavy on comedy either. Obviously a few one-liners which is standard for Shane Black, but that's all.

I can't wait for it! Big change from when the first trailer dropped. Very underwhelming. Hopefully they've got something here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

is it just me, or does every trailer for this seem like its for completely seperate films? one was horror, another hinted at human / predator hybrids, and now we've this suicide squad effort?

and was this film titled 'predators' at one point?

is it just me, or does every trailer for this seem like its for completely seperate films? one was horror, another hinted at human / predator hybrids, and now we've this suicide squad effort?

and was this film titled 'predators' at one point?

Judging by the last trailer suicide squad effort looks to be what we are going to get. Looks like same old action type film to me possibly with added gore. I was hoping for something close to the same type of tense and dark atmosphere to the first 2 films where the characters are genuinely ****ting themselves. Although maybe the fact the final trailer is accompanied by a rap song is ruining my idea of what the film will be like.

Judging by the last trailer suicide squad effort looks to be what we are going to get. Looks like same old action type film to me possibly with added gore. I was hoping for something close to the same type of tense and dark atmosphere to the first 2 films where the characters are genuinely ****ting themselves. Although maybe the fact the final trailer is accompanied by a rap song is ruining my idea of what the film will be like.

I think that only works though when you're dealing with something of an unknown entity like in the original Predator. There's only so far you can carry that before you're just waiting for the Predator to arrive on the screen.

So now I'm just hoping for a really good action movie where they expand the Predator universe somewhat as opposed to a sci-fi horror/thriller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Dunno if I will go but to do a successful reboot there needs to be unrelenting dread, huge suspense and genuine fear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Sal Butamol

Looks like a pile of ****e.

The "crazy" guy on the bus sounds like the kind of annoying gimp who would write his job listing on his facebook page as "Full time Mad Bastard"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭Defunkd

Including rap/hip-hop in the trailer totally takes away any sense of dread or fear that should accompany an ET predator. Already i want them all to die but the blond guy won't, nor will the hot scientist chick (who he's going to bang by the end of it).

I guess those 'dogs' will kill two or three people before being killed off?

I've pro.ised to treat someone to see this, so i'm going but i'm not excited.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,821 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

It looks like they haven't got the tone right,
    As someone said even the trailer the using Hip hop ois wrong , you should create a feeling of dread and hopelessness when it  comes Predator,
    I find it mental how they keep getting it wrong with predator, its easy to get right keep it simply, let the Predator do the rest ,

^^ People keep saying that, but I don't think it can work. Anyone who's going to go to see this knows what a Predator is about. What creates that fear and tension is when the audience is somewhat out of the loop too.

You can create it for the characters, but how intense is it going to be when the audience already knows what's waiting?

You can't have that kind of movie with the Predator anymore, the same way you can't have it with an Alien movie.

Maybe I'm wrong and I hope I am as I'd love to see that too, but it might take a special filmmaker to nail it.

The Predator is a known quantity - you can't put lightning back in a bottle, and somehow recreate the exceeded expectations of that 1987 film. Certainly hiring Shane Black was the right start, but trying to slavishly ape the original movie is a fools errand - you just end up with that 2010 Predators film, which was fine, but just another one of those 'fan' productions that was in such a rush to copy the Arnie film it forgot to have a soul of its own.

Well...don't rate the directors decisions here if the studio has to be the one to step in to remove this a**hole!

https://comicbook.com/2018/09/06/predator-fox-pulls-scene-sex-offender-controversy-shane-black/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I’ve been looking forward to this for months....

Fox have gotten a few R rated movies right in the last few years. Director and the actors attaches give me hope this could be the predator movie we have wanted for decades....

As much as I love the first Predator movie, it is really just a slasher movie with an invisible alien killer. Yes, there is a lot of action in it, great cast and dialogue, and a unique setting, but it is still a horror. They will never be able to recreate the original tension and dread of the first movie; we didn't know what the hell was going on in the first movie, but now we have seen too much of the predator over the years, and know their backstory. The mystery and surprise is gone, so every sequel will be a disappointment compared to the original. They could go completely OTT with the action, like Aliens, but even then the xenomorphs were a very complicated enemy and a lot more terrifying. Also the first movie was unique because we were watching some of the toughest guys on the planet being decimated; Arnie had never been a victim before, but he's on the back-foot for most of this movie.

I would also like to see Arnie back in any sequel. As the original survivor, surely he passed on a lot of information about the Predator and their strengths and weaknesses. In the new movie, he should be there as a military consultant, even just a cameo.

I'll still watch this new movie and hope for the best. I really just hope it's not completely stupid :p

• Advertisement

It is impossible to recreate the tension and atmosphere of the first movies. I still think it's possible to have a slightly different film but not go OTT on some things that take it away from being a proper sci fi / horror flick. It's not helping that the final trailer is accompanied by rap music.

I will certainly watch it. I just don't want to see that the main characters are in the "oh look we are all a bunch of crazy mofo's, now let's prove who is the craziest and most badass by killing this silly looking alien" type formula that seems to be an ingredient in most modern takes of these types of films. Just because the audience has seen a predator before doesn't mean the characters shouldn't show the requisite fear and caution.

If the original was so good due to mystery and surprise, why does it still hold up on repeated viewings?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,289 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

The reviews are in and its looking like the film is an over the top comedy .
    I'm out.
    The Predator is back on the big screen and the reviews are in for Shane Black's take on the iconic alien hunter. The critical consensus seems to be that the film is fun, funny and flawed — but mostly fun.
    "While the other Predator films tried to remain dark and tense, tossing in a decent one-liner here or there, Black’s movie is so cleverly over-the-top that it’s easy and pleasurable enough to watch, though never exactly scary or suspenseful."
    Jim Vejvoda writing for IGN wrote that The Predator's "bawdy sense of humor, disorderly cast of characters, and hardcore kills and action" goes a long way to reinvigorate the franchise.
    But, in what seems to be a recurring theme amongst critics, Vejvoda feels the film comes unglued in the third act.
    Slash Film's Chris Evangelista wasn't entirely sold on The Predator, giving it a score of 6.5/10, and comparing the film's reliance on humor to Thor: Ragnarok, and feeling the film was fun while watching but flawed overall.
    Evangelista isn't entirely sure whether the cavalcade of gags will put off purists arguing that "some may long for the franchise to return to its serious roots."

The reviews are in and its looking like the film is an over the top comedy .
    I'm out.

My worst fears confirmed then :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

"Striegel, who is a longtime friend of Black's, pleaded guilty in 2010 when faced with allegations that he attempted to lure a 14-year-old girl into a sexual relationship online. The actor's scene was a small one, and it involved his character repeatedly hitting on Casey Bracket, the character played by Olivia Munn."

Wtf?

• Advertisement
Advertisement