Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Predator (reboot)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,983 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Tilikum

The first was an amazing movie. Everytime it's on ilI watch it. Every other 'predator' movie since then has been rubbish imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,983 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Tilikum wrote: »
    The first was an amazing movie. Everytime it's on ilI watch it. Every other 'predator' movie since then has been rubbish imo.
    the second was bit silly but good atleast maybe not great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

the second was bit silly but good atleast maybe not great

The second was Donald Trumps solution to dealing with Latinos!

Such a massive difference between the two films

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Tilikum wrote: »

Personally, I thought Predators was great.

Predator 2 was ok, not great, not bad.

The AvP movies were awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I enjoyed Predators too I have to say, it's not perfect, but it's a definite step up from the AvP series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

Predator was amazing - still a tense and scary movie with a great atmosphere.

Predator II was fun.

AvPs were awfull ****e, and Predators wasn't much better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

I'd love a Predator movie done right, not some dumbed down action rubbish like the AvP series but darker.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Predator 2 deserves more love than it gets; it is its own beast & pretty gleefully commits to the whole mad premise. I can respect a film that is self-aware enough to realise how OTT everything is, go for it and up things to 11.

'Predators' though suffered from being too much of a fan-drenched retread of the first film, albeit with a decent ensemble. It was good, but just made me want to watch Predator 1 instead.

I don't even think it's worth talking about the AvP as they were an insult to both franchises involved. Inane, adolescent, sometimes mean-spirited garbage that arguably, finally killed off the Alien franchise as viable, adult horror.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

pixelburp wrote: »
    Predator 2 deserves more love than it gets; it is its own beast & pretty gleefully commits to the whole mad premise. I can respect a film that is self-aware enough to realise how OTT everything is, go for it and up things to 11.

'Predators' though suffered from being too much of a fan-drenched retread of the first film, albeit with a decent ensemble. It was good, but just made me want to watch Predator 1 instead.

I don't even think it's worth talking about the AvP as they were an insult to both franchises involved. Inane, adolescent, sometimes mean-spirited garbage that arguably, finally killed off the Alien franchise as viable, adult horror.

Predator 1- a film I'll always watch if I come across it when channel hopping, regardless of how much I might have missed
    Predator 2 - gets more stick than it actually deserves, danny glover is like a too old john mc clane, in that he can hardly run, but takes a load of punishment and survives the battle, gary busey is as always, great as the govenment agent hunting the predator - plus that scene in the meat factory was awesome.
    Predators, - Again, another film that didnt get the fair shake imo, it has a terrific cast, (walton goggins, c'mon the mans a legend, and even topher grace was perfectly cast!) a nutjob in lawrence fishburne and adrien brody surprisingly fit the part of the hero. the only part I didnt care for were the predator dogs - they'd have been better as some sort of indigenous life form - hell even xenomorphs from alien would have been a good call. Also, the bigger predators / societal hierarchy thing felt a bit poorly executed to me. The standard predators are a crazy threat anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Predator is an excellent sci-fi film and had the great idea to have a creature beat the living shít out of Arnie who himself was seen as unstoppable killing machine of an action hero at that time.

Predator 2 was ok, a bit of an odd film but it has it's moments..................and Gary Busey so you can't go too wrong with that :pac:

The AVP films were just watered down money-grabs that diluted and pissed all over 2 sci-fi franchises known for their horror and violence. In AVP2 the Predators were probably the stupidest organisms to grace the universe.

Predators was an ok film, a lot worse could've been done with it though I was turned off Rodriguez afterwards because he pulled this cheap stunt in the trailers:
    5lrkgi.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

I love Predator 2 as well, it's a fine film all round, great action and humour, advanced a bit of the predator mythology and had a pretty good cast.

It suffers in comparison to Predator because that is, in my opinion at least, one of the greatest films of all time.

Predators and AVP sucked, hopefully the new film remains true to the original without just copying the same story and dialogue like these reboots always do.

pixelburp wrote: »

Sorry but I disagree. There is plenty in Predators that distinguishes itself from the first film. [Spoilers ahead]
    - The best killers in humanity transported on to a hunting reserve on another planet. Even just from a visuals point of view, the movie is completely set apart.
    - Crazy guy from previous hunt hiding out on a ship, killing new hunters to steal their weapons/food.
    - Serial killer in the mix (played by the superbly cast Topher Grace) providing a nice twist.
    - The whole predator vs predator thing
    - Brody is much more of a mercenary than Arnie's all american (with a funny accent) hero.

The central theme of the alpha male surviving to take on the predator and save the girl is there alright but it's a completely different movie and has plenty of fresh elements in the mix.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3 Arriviamo

Predators was an excellent film, and not just a cheap knock off of the original.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Arriviamo wrote: »
    Predators was an excellent film, and not just a cheap knock off of the original.

No it wasn't. It was mediocre at best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

They will Terminator Genisys it

It will go from an 18 rated Sci-Fi/Horror to a 15 rated Marvel Comics version.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

They will Terminator Genisys it

It will go from an 18 rated Sci-Fi/Horror to a 15 rated Marvel Comics version.

I dunno.

I'm hoping Deadpool might make hollywood execs think twice about decisions like that in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 kathy09

Anyone know what age don conroy is ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

kathy09 wrote: »
    Anyone know what age don conroy is ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

I didn't mind Predators but reckon it would have benefited from a different lead. Wish they had gone with Josh Brolin.

Slydice wrote: »
    I dunno.

I'm hoping Deadpool might make hollywood execs think twice about decisions like that in the future.

That's a fair point.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,717 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Duggy747 wrote: »

Predators was an ok film, a lot worse could've been done with it though I was turned off Rodriguez afterwards because he pulled this cheap stunt in the trailers:

Robert Rodriguez didn't actually make Predators, he was only a producer / treatment writer. The marketing was a bit deceptive about his involvement, and it was instead directed by a chap called Nimród Antal.

Robert Rodriguez didn't actually make Predators, he was only a producer / treatment writer. The marketing was a bit deceptive about his involvement, and it was instead directed by a chap called Nimród Antal.

I know Antal directed it and Rodriguez was a producer.

My point was Rodriguez made it no secret about how that scene was manipulated specifically for the trailer.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,717 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Ah apologies! I've always just been curious about the way Rodriquez was painted as the man behind the film in the media and marketing, when he wasn't the creative lead on it. Frankly, I recall thinking it was his film maybe even until I sat down to watch it (thought it was painfully mediocre). I've seen well-known producers get prominent credits before - Tarantino on Hero, for example - but Predators seemed another level...

That said, it wasn't so much a single shot in a trailer that has put me off Mr Rodriquez, and more a decade or more of making pretty much nothing of any note :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

I really don't get the hate for Predator 2... I think it's a great oul flick - like Die Hard 2 however (another under-rated flick), it just has the misfortune of following one of the best action movies of all time.

As someone else said, that scene in the freezebox... loved it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,569 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Predator is brilliant. I actually watched it agian the other night when I came across it channel hopping.

Predator 2 is enjoyable as well. Not quite as good and Danny Glover isn't a great hero but it was aware of it's shortcomings and embraced them. Still a movie I'll watch whenever I see it is on.

Predators I actually really liked. Decent premise and having Brody as the lead instead of someone who you would compare direct to Arnie worked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

Duggy747 wrote: »
    I know Antal directed it and Rodriguez was a producer.

My point was Rodriguez made it no secret about how that scene was manipulated specifically for the trailer.

Elaborate for me? What happened? Does that still not appear in the movie as a scene?

Elaborate for me? What happened? Does that still n ot appear in the movie as a scene?

Nope it's just a single target on his head... or chest, can't remember exactly. This was perfectly fine in the movie but the trailer was totally misleading showing about 15 targets all over him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    I really don't get the hate for Predator 2... I think it's a great oul flick - like Die Hard 2 however (another under-rated flick), it just has the misfortune of following one of the best action movies of all time.

As someone else said, that scene in the freezebox... loved it :)

I love it for the fact you have a out of shape and over the hill cop instead of a muscle bound solider and a younger more cocky predator. Plus you have Gary Busey eating up the scenery also Bill Paxton been the smart ass cocky new cop on the block
    Hated that they killed him off
    . You have a awesome opening that's as good as anything from the first film and this scene too which is brilliant

Predators is a fine watch it once type film, Adrian Brody is miscast as the hero (he should be playing the Toper Grace part if you ask me) and you have some nice scenes of violence.

But the first film is still the best action film of the 80's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

All I saw was Shane Black and I approve wholeheartedly.

None of the sequels came close to the original but I enjoyed them all for what they are.

Predators definitely gets a black mark over that trailer bait scene though. How does a director think movie fans would miss that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

I went back and watched Predators on the back of this thread, its not a bad movie. Ok it leaves an awful lot storywise to be desired but its a decent action flick. Its a pop corn movie, nothing more, nothing less.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,888 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Hmmmm, the only hope I have for this is that Black is on the project.

Will be interested to see who is cast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Predator is one of the best films ever. It has everything, and so many quotable lines.
    Predator 2 is good. It couldn't compete with the original.
    AvP - Not worthy of a comment.
    Predators, it was grand. Though casting an ironing board as the hero was so wrong, on so many levels.

You just know we're gonna be reading a headline in a few months:

Shane Black leaves new Predator project over "creative differences"

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Bacchus wrote: »
    Sorry but I disagree. There is plenty in Predators that distinguishes itself from the first film. [Spoilers ahead]
    - The best killers in humanity transported on to a hunting reserve on another planet. Even just from a visuals point of view, the movie is completely set apart.
    - Crazy guy from previous hunt hiding out on a ship, killing new hunters to steal their weapons/food.
    - Serial killer in the mix (played by the superbly cast Topher Grace) providing a nice twist.
    - The whole predator vs predator thing
    - Brody is much more of a mercenary than Arnie's all american (with a funny accent) hero.

The central theme of the alpha male surviving to take on the predator and save the girl is there alright but it's a completely different movie and has plenty of fresh elements in the mix.

If Predators didn't have Brody covered in mud to hide his heat, I would be in agreement with you.
    WHIP IT! wrote: »
    I really don't get the hate for Predator 2...

Have to say I really like Predator 2 also, it did its own thing, it didn't just rethread what made the original great.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭KingMonkey

Get to the choppa

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

I re-watched Predators the other day based on this thread

It tries and has some nice set pieces and framing of shots but it is a poor attempt at updating the original a bit

It isn't terrible but it certainly is forgettable which is a shame as there are some good bits in there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

I re-watched Predators the other day based on this thread

It tries and has some nice set pieces and framing of shots but it is a poor attempt at updating the original a bit

It isn't terrible but it certainly is forgettable which is a shame as there are some good bits in there

I've actually re-watched Predator 2 and Predators in the past week based solely on this thread :D

Watched Predators yesterday, I think it's my third viewing... I've always thought Brody was horrifically miscast and after watching again I still feel the same... but, in fairness, the last 40mins or so of the movie are pretty frickin' good.... nothing much doing before that though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Im watching Predators later now.

Loved 1 one of the my favourite movies, 2 was very good not as good as one but still very good.

Then came Predators which was alright but I only ever watched it ones.

There was no movies in between much like there is no Starship Troopers 2.....they simply dont exist!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Arnold Schwarzenegger Could Battle ‘The Predator’ Once Again!
    Arnold Schwarzenegger is unique to the Predator franchise because he never appeared in any of the films outside of John McTiernan’s 1987 horror/sci-fi classic.

He nearly did make an appearance in the 2010 Predators as the writers and director Nimród Antal envisioned Schwarzenegger for a cameo, which ultimately ended up featuring Laurence Fishburne in the role of ‘Noland.’

These days Schwarzenegger is back acting at a furious pace, so the idea that he could appear in Shane Black’s upcoming The Predator doesn’t seem all that far fetched, especially if Black has a part for him.

Thankfully, there’s a meeting planned, which could result in the return of Dutch!

“I haven’t talked with him (Shane Black) yet but I’m going to meet with him for lunch sometime soon,” Schwarzenegger told The Arnold Fans. “Just as soon as I’m finished with this (Arnold’s Sports Festival) and “The Apprentice” and all this stuff. But I will get together with him. If there is any news, we’ll of course let you know right away. There’s also a meeting coming up soon about Conan, about the project moving forward.”

We should clarify that this doesn’t really mean anything. For all we know Schwarzenegger could be having coffee with Black because they’re old pals – being that Black cleaned up the original Predator script and starred – and Schwarzenegger wants to ask for a role. Who knows? And if Schwarzenegger is going to make an appearance, will Black pull a Paul Feig and have him in a new role like the original Ghostbusters? Preferably, I’d love to see Dutch central to this new Predator story, which I’m being told behind the scenes is an authentic sequel to the 1987 film. Let’s see how this develops…
    Fox recently set The Predator for release on March 2nd, 2018. Yeah, baby!

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3382380/arnold-schwarzenegger-could-battle-the-predator-once-again/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,495 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Boyd Holbrook and Olivia Munn attached to star

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Star_Nupa

Excellent! Can't wait for this. Hopefully a new Predator movie will finally do justice to the original. Though I do have a soft spot for Predator 2! :)

Apparently it'll have a bit of everything like the original:

http://www.predator4-movie.com/news/the-predator-be-wondrous-funny-scary

I fully trust Shane Black to pull this off...despite Iron Man 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

I find it a bit worrisome that he thinks Predator "should be funny". They tried forcing humour in other films that should have remained serious and tense and ended up ruining it (Terminator 3), so that's not a good omen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Star_Nupa

I find it a bit worrisome that he thinks Predator "should be funny". They tried forcing humour in other films that should have remained serious and tense and ended up ruining it (Terminator 3), so that's not a good omen.

I'm hoping he means one or two one-liners like 'stick around', not funny-funny...like not putting too much emphasis on said one-liners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Yeah, a bit of humour is always a welcome addition but a story about an alien hunting humans shouldn't be funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Olivia Munn and Shane Black sounds like a fantastic pairing.

Bumps this well up my list of movies to get excited about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Yeah, a bit of humour is always a welcome addition but a story about an alien hunting humans shouldn't be funny.

Perhaps not *funny* but Predator was definitely good craic most of the time. In contrast, for instance, to the Alien films or even the Predator sequels.

Shane Black has a good track record with mixing a bit of craic into the action.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Gabba Gabba Hey

I was a little concerned when I saw that kid in the poster, but...'Aliens'...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

kid actors are mostly f*cking annoying...mostly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

YeYFvv6.png

• Advertisement
Advertisement