Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Predator (reboot)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

brevity wrote: »
    "Striegel, who is a longtime friend of Black's, pleaded guilty in 2010 when faced with allegations that he attempted to lure a 14-year-old girl into a sexual relationship online. The actor's scene was a small one, and it involved his character repeatedly hitting on Casey Bracket, the character played by Olivia Munn."

Wtf?

The Munn interview is worth watching, only one of the cast who has really called this out. I'm finding it particularly disturbing that the same man was on Iron Man 3 shortly after his release... Say Black will never be let near a marvel film again and shouldn't be.
    https://twitter.com/THR/status/1038542228866691075?s=19

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Beach Fuzz

If the original was so good due to mystery and surprise, why does it still hold up on repeated viewings?

Because as well as that, people really like the film. It's iconic. It was a unique experience for many and some people like to experience that again. To be transported back, if you like.

A Predator movie relying on the element of surprise won't work, because the people that will go to a Predator movie already know what will happen. Hell, we'll even know what weapons they'll use.

Now, you could make that, but it would have to people who either A. all of a sudden have developed an interest in such films out of nowhwere. B. Kids who are unfamiliar with the character. And how do you make a Predator film for those audiences...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,433 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I didn't see Arnie in trailer?
    Fail

https://twitter.com/Schwarzenegger/status/1038491245339963394

He's back in the gym and looking amazing

Dk1_JUKw_Vs_AAvr_BJ.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Suprised they didn't just cast Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson and have done with it. It's obviously trying to appeal to a 'Fast and Furious' demographic.

Just more cookie cutter schlock nonsense that no-one will remember in five years or so. That being said, I am looking forward to the all female reboot which is bound to happen. That should be good for a few unintended laughs.

Rocky 5 should be remade. How on earth it's not is beyond me, it's the movies , geez anything is possible.
    There is room for a movie there between 4 and Balboa

This Predator movie looks okay though, a money spinner and a night at the movies, that's entertainment. It's not suppose to live in the memory, it's suppose to be a successful business transaction. I'm sure it will be.

batgoat wrote: »
    The Munn interview is worth watching, only one of the cast who has really called this out. I'm finding it particularly disturbing that the same man was on Iron Man 3 shortly after his release... Say Black will never be let near a marvel film again and shouldn't be.
    https://twitter.com/THR/status/1038542228866691075?s=19

On the flip side... Someone committed a crime, they spent time in jail for that crime, so shouldn't they be able to get on with their lives?

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭seamusk84

I loved predators with Brody as the lead. Just have a feeling this won’t be of the same quality....

I know it’s out next week, but are there any reviews out there at this stage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

On the flip side... Someone committed a crime, they spent time in jail for that crime, so shouldn't they be able to get on with their lives?

In the case of Iron Man 3, he was just out of jail. It's a franchise that appeals to an audience that includes many minors. Most jobs expect criminal convictions to be divulged to them as well so Black should have been open about it since he had knowledge of it rather than it to randomly break and for everyone to be oblivious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,917 ✭✭✭nix

It's not suppose to live in the memory, it's suppose to be a successful business transaction. I'm sure it will be.

Spoken like a true sentient machine :pac:

God forbid a movie is released that's so good people remember it and want to watch it again :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

Even if you look at it as Munn being selfish, she is saying she wasn't aware of the guy's background when she filmed the scenes with him. Had she not found out and the film was left untouched, she would have been crucified with her career damaged. That to me is absolutely fair game for Munn demanding he's gotten rid of.

If Black wanted to do his friend a solid he should have been a bit smarter about the role he gave the guy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

Suprised they didn't just cast Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson and have done with it. It's obviously trying to appeal to a 'Fast and Furious' demographic.

Just more cookie cutter schlock nonsense that no-one will remember in five years or so. That being said, I am looking forward to the all female reboot which is bound to happen. That should be good for a few unintended laughs.

Dwayne Johnson's career is fascinating to compare with Arnold. Johnson has the charisma and physique of Arnold, and I'd even say he is a better actor than Arnold too. But unlike Arnold, he's never really had an iconic role or worked with any A class directors. It would be like if Arnold never worked with Cameron, McTiernan or Verhoeven and was just known for B movie type action movies and stupid comedies, because that is pretty much Johnson's career at the moment.

In regards to The Predator, the original had one of those basic stripped to the bone plot that really didn't need any expansion. Any attempts to put the predator in other scenarios like fighting an Alien or in suburban america just dilutes the character. It is one of the few circumstances where I would advocate for a copy of the first film. Have a small group of soldiers in a confined location fighting a predator, maybe a place like LV-426. Could be good with the right gritty script but this new film seems to have dropped the ball completely.

Dwayne didn't even get in The Expendables , everyone else did it seems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭brevity

Predator is on tonight on Film 4 at 9pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

brevity wrote: »
    Predator is on tonight on Film 4 at 9pm

And Predator 2 is on after it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,568 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Going tonight at 8 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Reviews ain't strong...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Just heading in to see it on 4D in Cineworld.

Actually, make that 10D.

20180912_193409.jpg

I enjoyed it.....but why was Alfie Allen Irish :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Think If I was ten or so I would have loved it. Seems perfect for that age range.

Don't feel it's going to really engage too many adults though, storywise at least, far too flawed in that regard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

Actually, make that 10D.
    ]

Those boyos have done that before at Cineworld!

Might try go Friday night or Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Saw it also last night. I really enjoyed it, but not in the same way that I love the original Predator. This version is more of an effort to appeal to younger audiences. It’s bonkers at times, they ignore parts of the plot when it suits, but it’s entertaining.

You can see how the reshoot doesn't tie in with the beginning of the movie, spoilers below.

They capture the Predator, tie him up and when he gets loose he goes on a rampage, at the end they are saying "well he came here to give us something"

Also I thought "predator killer" was going to be Adrian Brody :pac:

Oh the only thing I didnt really like was the kids Aspergers, as someone who's son has Aspergers they really hammed it up and made him more like the rain man who would have a more severe form of Autism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,240 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Dwayne didn't even get in The Expendables , everyone else did it seems.

Stallone wanted to give action stars who haven't had a hit in a long time, or seemed past their prime, a roll in that movie series. Johnson didn't obviously fit into that category.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Actually, make that 10D.

20180912_193409.jpg

They've had that BlackkKlansman banner up longer than most Blockbuster movies. Funnily enough I went on opening week and there was barely more than 10 people in it.

Anyhoo, hoping to catch The Predator, regardless of bad reviews, tonight or tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭Beric Dondarrion

Saw this last night. Utter ****e! The editing is piss poor and the story makes zero sense. There are flashes of humour in it that make it watchable but this looks like it's going the way of the Terminator franchise -Two reasonably strong opening films (the first Predator movie is a classic, the second one is pretty good, the rest "meh")...and now they simply don't know what they want to do with it to keep it moving

There also appear to be huge chunks of the film missing
    where the hell did they get the camper van and arsenal of weapons??
    . I know the film underwent reshoots but nothing was going to save this turkey!

Saw it today. I'd obviously read the reviews before so I had tempered my expectation but it was still boring and muddled.

The key to the original was the simplicity of the plot and indeed the action. The action scenes in this movie are a mess and editing results in confusing and incohesive sequences. The story never really pauses, it just goes from one action scene to the next. No tension building at all.

The attempt at creating individual personalities for each of the team member failed miserably (see the original or Aliens for this done well) and the early banter between them was stupid and annoying.

The plot was all over the place, jumping from location to location without any true sense of direction or purpose. I've said before, the predator works best in a relatively confined area. If it had been confined to the lab location and a group of marines had to be sent in to rescue the survivors (like Aliens), that could have been a decent film instead of the overblown, overly complex nonsense we got instead.

And the new predator just lacks the feel of the predator in the first place. When you start making the predator an 11 foot tall creature, it becomes less of a predator and more of a generic shouty movie monster.

And don't get me started on that stupid subplot with the predator dog!

At least we'll always have the original

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,482 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Saw it today. I'd obviously read the reviews before so I had tempered my expectation but it was still boring and muddled.

The key to the original was the simplicity of the plot and indeed the action. The action scenes in this movie are a mess and editing results in confusing and incohesive sequences. The story never really pauses, it just goes from one action scene to the next. No tension building at all.

The attempt at creating individual personalities for each of the team member failed miserably (see the original or Aliens for this done well) and the early banter between them was stupid and annoying.

The plot was all over the place, jumping from location to location without any true sense of direction or purpose. I've said before, the predator works best in a relatively confined area. If it had been confined to the lab location and a group of marines had to be sent in to rescue the survivors (like Aliens), that could have been a decent film instead of the overblown, overly complex nonsense we got instead.

And the new predator just lacks the feel of the predator in the first place. When you start making the predator an 11 foot tall creature, it becomes less of a predator and more of a generic shouty movie monster.

And don't get me started on that stupid subplot with the predator dog!

At least we'll always have the original

Couldn't agree more. Thought it was terrible. Nothing like the original films. If the predators were messing with evolving themselves then why does the predator in the original predator 2 film not look like the super predator.

This film could ruin the franchise. Way too much comedy in it for the type of film it is supposed to be and forced comedy as Well.

The ending made absolutely no sense at all either and takes away from the films set after it. Also the predator subtitles I thought were a terrible addition.

Reggie. wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more. Thought it was terrible. Nothing like the original films. If the predators were messing with evolving themselves then why does the predator in the original predator 2 film not look like the super predator.

This film could ruin the franchise. Way too much comedy in it for the type of film it is supposed to be and forced comedy as Well.

The ending made absolutely no sense at all either and takes away from the films set after it. Also the predator subtitles I thought were a terrible addition.

The ending is pure sequel bait!

The ending is pure sequel bait!

Yes but it was a reshoot. The original would have been so much better.

That gift ruins the films that come after it including the predator translator. In predator 2 they knew very little about the predators but here in the prequel they are communicating with them. No continuity in the films.

Very surprised at black over it plus sterling Brown's character is atrocious. Acts more like a gangster than a government employees. Just constantly goes around telling people to go **** themselves

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭kerplun k

It was very Meh.
    It's saving grace was the interplay and humor between the cast.
    Halfway throught I was thinking to myself that Shane Black would be perfect for a Suicide Squad / Dirty Dozen type movie.

kerplun k wrote: »
    It was very Meh.
    It's saving grace was the interplay and humor between the cast.
    Halfway throught I was thinking to myself that Shane Black would be perfect for a Suicide Squad / Dirty Dozen type movie.

I thought there was way too much comedy in it. Took from it imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

The first Predator movie was great, because it was a slasher movie with this seemingly indestructible killer, taking out all these tough guys; not the usual teenagers/baby-sitters getting killed, but bad-ass commandos. Also, it was original that humans were the prey and the predator wasn't some sadistic psychopath, he was a big game hunter! The setting in the jungle was very unique too and it was an appropriate setting for this intergalactic hunter to go on safari. Seemingly the predator has no weakness, and there was no way these guys were going to survive. It was shocking to see Arnie being the helpless victim in a movie: it never happened before. The big twist at the end is what made a great movie even better; they flipped it, Arnie became the hunter, through blind luck. They can never recreate anything close to the original, best we can hope for is something like Predators, which although not a great movie, at least tried to do something different.

I don't like these Predator movies set near cities/towns or with too many characters. Why would a Predator hunt there? There is very little challenge there. I'd love to see a Predator movie set in a war zone, Afghanistan/Iraq/Russian, whatever, so you have soldiers on both sides being picked off by Predators, before they work together to take them on. The only other movie I would like to see would be set in the past, where primitive weapons and tactics are used to fight the Predator. You could even set a movie during WWI or the American Civil War. Hell, have the Predator taking on a Celtic tribe hundreds of years ago :pac:

The first Predator movie was great, because it was a slasher movie with this seemingly indestructible killer, taking out all these tough guys; not the usual teenagers/baby-sitters getting killed, but bad-ass commandos. Also, it was original that humans were the prey and the predator wasn't some sadistic psychopath, he was a big game hunter! The setting in the jungle was very unique too and it was an appropriate setting for this intergalactic hunter to go on safari. Seemingly the predator has no weakness, and there was no way these guys were going to survive. It was shocking to see Arnie being the helpless victim in a movie: it never happened before. The big twist at the end is what made a great movie even better; they flipped it, Arnie became the hunter, through blind luck. They can never recreate anything close to the original, best we can hope for is something like Predators, which although not a great movie, at least tried to do something different.

I don't like these Predator movies set near cities/towns or with too many characters. Why would a Predator hunt there? There is very little challenge there. I'd love to see a Predator movie set in a war zone, Afghanistan/Iraq/Russian, whatever, so you have soldiers on both sides being picked off by Predators, before they work together to take them on. The only other movie I would like to see would be set in the past, where primitive weapons and tactics are used to fight the Predator. You could even set a movie during WWI or the American Civil War. Hell, have the Predator taking on a Celtic tribe hundreds of years ago :pac:

Well this movie isnt about a hunt.....for the 1st Predator anyway he crashed landed and was brought to a lab only to end up in the town to look for his gear, when the 2nd Predator comes into it hes hunting number 1 and hunts the soldiers in a forrest, I knew this movie wouldn't be a clone of the 1st so didnt go in with the expectation it would be as good as it.

Well this movie isnt about a hunt.....for the 1st Predator anyway he crashed landed and was brought to a lab only to end up in the town to look for his gear, when the 2nd Predator comes into it hes hunting number 1 and hunts the soldiers in a forrest, I knew this movie wouldn't be a clone of the 1st so didnt go in with the expectation it would be as good as it.

I expected it to be at least a decent watch

I expected it to be at least a decent watch

I think a lot of you went in with higher expectations due to Shane Black directing, I knew it would be mostly action and a laughable story but I dont go to these types of movies and expect oscar worthy stories.

I think a lot of you went in with higher expectations due to Shane Black directing, I knew it would be mostly action and a laughable story but I dont go to these types of movies and expect oscar worthy stories.

Ah but seriously the action was very scarce and when going to see a predator film the one thing you have to expect is plenty of action.

Ah but seriously the action was very scarce and when going to see a predator film the one thing you have to expect is plenty of action.

There's action at the start middle and end what are you on about, if you rewatch the first the action is at the start, then moves onto the suspense during them middle and action for the rest of the movie, we know what a predator is they cant get away with that suspense anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭BillyHasMates

Don't think I will bother watching it on the big screen now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Joeface

Original predator is one of my all time top 2 .
    Not for the action or acting, it's how well it was set up in every way. Also has to be one of the best looking films. No idea how they did that but it looks amazing. No other film holds up as well visually .

It works well because the Predator is not seen for most of the movies or just flickers of it.(bit like jaws) You cannot really recreate that. It's done.

Alien and aliens works because of the slightly different path of aliens , still a confined space but trained marines up against them.

The trained Marines are in the original so cannot do that in a sequel and make it different enough to be worth while.

Predator 2 is very weak also. It was on film 4 during the week, it's really bad. No sure why I liked it when I saw it all those years ago.

I didn't mind Predators , it was their attempt at Aliens or something .actually would rank that second on the list of these.

This new one it is entertaining , the humour helps it along .it has enough action and while it does hop all over the place in locations it doesn't take from or add anything just something that's happening while watching it.
    Not sure they should be looking at sequels but I will probably go see those as well

There is a fan made one on YouTube cannot think of the title but if you want slightly like the original then that is kinda there abouts
    Set in 1300s or something or If you get the 2x10 Euro with 3 go see it. It is worth that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,482 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I do think people over analyse films like this these days , I walked out after watching having enjoyed it , came on here (my mistake) to see people ripping it to shreds over it not being like the original

It's not the original and as others have said they were never gonna match or better it , I went to see the Predator **** some people up , and I saw that , Happy me

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Joeface wrote: »
    Not for the action or acting, it's how well it was set up in every way. Also has to be one of the best looking films. No idea how they did that but it looks amazing. No other film holds up as well visually .

It works well because the Predator is not seen for most of the movies or just flickers of it.(bit like jaws) You cannot really recreate that. It's done.

Alien and aliens works because of the slightly different path of aliens , still a confined space but trained marines up against them.

The trained Marines are in the original so cannot do that in a sequel and make it different enough to be worth while.

Predator 2 is very weak also. It was on film 4 during the week, it's really bad. No sure why I liked it when I saw it all those years ago.

I didn't mind Predators , it was their attempt at Aliens or something .actually would rank that second on the list of these.

This new one it is entertaining , the humour helps it along .it has enough action and while it does hop all over the place in locations it doesn't take from or add anything just something that's happening while watching it.
    Not sure they should be looking at sequels but I will probably go see those as well

There is a fan made one on YouTube cannot think of the title but if you want slightly like the original then that is kinda there abouts
    Set in 1300s or something or If you get the 2x10 Euro with 3 go see it. It is worth that.

I think this is the one you mean:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I do think people over analyse films like this these days , I walked out after watching having enjoyed it , came on here (my mistake) to see people ripping it to shreds over it not being like the original

It's not the original and as others have said they were never gonna match or better it , I went to see the Predator **** some people up , and I saw that , Happy me

Yep, totally agree. A lot of people ruin these things for themselves these days...

I enjoyed it as a good popcorn flick. Don’t necessarily disagree with some of the issues highlighted but I guess I’m lucky that I don’t care and don’t need to take this too seriously. Bit of craic in the cinema....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Predator dark ages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

The end of Predator 2 alluded to Predators in the past. Given some of the negative reviews for the new one I'd prefer to see the next one set in the past; maybe the conquistadores or European exploration of Africa.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Just back from seeing this in Mahon Point Maxx, .... look it’s not an Oscar winner, it’s doesnt have a great storyline and it’s a bit all over the place but for some reason I watched it munching and I actually liked it for some reason and so did all the people I was with. There are some genuinely funny moments where the cinema started laughing.

6/10, very watchable film - just forget about the previous films and sit back and enjoy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,676 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

this review makes me want to see it now, even though he describes it as sh1tty bad several times

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I liked it but it got very messy near the end. One of the big characters had a blink and you'll miss it death.

No issue with the humour. The other films were hardly mad serious either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Totally agree. We have a rule in our house. Every time Predator is on TV, we have to watch it. I don’t know how many times I’ve stayed up until 1am to watch it, even though I have work the next day. It never gets old or tired. It’s a great film.

We saw The Predator on Wednesday but coincidentally, original Predator had been on Film Four Tuesday night. So I had seen the original literally the night before.

Comparing the two is like comparing apples and oranges, so I wouldn’t even really try. As I said earlier, I actually enjoyed this film well enough on its own merits. It’s a summer blockbuster type film more than the 80s action style of the original. Film styles have changed since the original. God knows if we’ll ever recapture the greatness of Alien, Terminator or Predator again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,482 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Unearthly wrote: »
    I liked it but it got very messy near the end. One of the big characters had a blink and you'll miss it death.

No issue with the humour. The other films were hardly mad serious either.

This was my major critique when I came out of the cinema I missed this and had to ask my missus did she see it and she wasn't 100% sure either , Again though other than that really enjoyed it

And a sidenote have to say I really enjoy Boyd Holbrook he was my favorite part of Narcos and feel the show lacked majorly when he went out of it , and really enjoyed him in Logan too ,would love to see him get more big roles

Advertisement