Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Predator (reboot)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 hansgruber at gmail.com

I was onboard until the last scene after being disappointed by the first trailer.

The Predator is pretty badass and more than formidable without needing a ‘super-predator’ thrown in.

However, I’ll reserve full judgement until we get the context.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Given scenes in the trailer feature white-suited scientists, I'm going to go out on a limb and theorise the 2nd Predator is a genetic experiment by whatever company the labrats are working for (start your bets whether it'll be Weyland, Yutani or the merged version).

So the original brand Predator becomes too much to handle (looks like some generic army types are getting trashed in that 2nd trailer), with the scientists persuading the government agent played by Sterling K Brown to release their new pet - probably using a variation of the whole 'set a thief...' speech. Hilarity ensues.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

pixelburp wrote: »
    Given scenes in the trailer feature white-suited scientists, I'm going to go out on a limb and theorise the 2nd Predator is a genetic experiment by whatever company the labrats are working for (start your bets whether it'll be Weyland, Yutani or the merged version).

So the original brand Predator becomes too much to handle (looks like some generic army types are getting trashed in that 2nd trailer), with the scientists persuading the government agent played by Sterling K Brown to release their new pet - probably using a variation of the whole 'set a thief...' speech. Hilarity ensues.

Sounds about right. That second trailer really spelled out the plot beats of the movie... speculation spoilers... Initial conflict, guy survives, new team sent in with him (shades of Aliens), it doesn't go too well, super predator unleashed, super predator goes off script, and the final act will be the soldiers fighting with the predator to defeat the super predator.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Bacchus wrote: »
    Sounds about right. That second trailer really spelled out the plot beats of the movie... speculation spoilers... Initial conflict, guy survives, new team sent in with him (shades of Aliens), it doesn't go too well, super predator unleashed, super predator goes off script, and the final act will be the soldiers fighting with the predator to defeat the super predator.

You should be a hollywood script writer.

Cant really seeing it diverging from this tbh

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

To counter my own theorising, given this is Shane Black at the helm, there's a better than decent chance Black will subvert the clichés a little. Or at least try to

They should put Van Damme in the Predator costume for real this time

• Registered Users Posts: 7,423 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Bacchus wrote: »

Shades of AVP there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

And Stevie Seagal in the other one :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

It's Kevin Spacey's to lose apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

The original had Jesse Ventura and Carl Weathers in the team, this has the bald guy that used to host "America's Funniest Animal Videos"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Shades of AVP there.

It occurs to me that Lance Henriksen is still around. He played a part in the Detroit: Become Human video-game/choose-your-own-story that just came out. Maybe he'll camero like in AVP. Maybe not.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,451 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

That's a great trailer!

• Registered Users Posts: 55,451 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I think it has a good 18s 80s action movie feel to it. Should be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭fluke

A better trailer tbf.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Definitely a better trailer.

Are they going for the two different types of Predators in this one as well? That 2nd one looked massive in comparison.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

that looks great

Shame we know already what's in the ship after all their questioning of what is in the ship

• Registered Users Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Shame we know already what's in the ship after all their questioning of what is in the ship

We basically know the whole film now from that trailer .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

This is starting to shape up nicely, while my expectations are low, they are starting to rise

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Yeah. Definitely has me more optimistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,520 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Any else think the second predator looks awful ?
    He looked like something from the sci-fy channel .
    Also isn't this the same plot as Jurassic Park , old enemy is needed to be on the human sides to save them from the lab created monster

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

It does look pretty good :) Initially I thought was going to be set in suburbia and feature a family with kids fighting a predator in their neighbourhood, but this look kinda brutal in a good way!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Have people been watching the same trailer ?

The same road Jurassic World went down ... let's make it bigger,meaner and louder!!!
    Surely that will make a better film!!

Never mind about story and atmosphere .... meh looks like it will be a typical Hollywood $$$ maker with a terrible story and just effects.

I will give it a chance tho, trailers can be deceptive.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Yeah but "more of the same only bigger" describes all sequels, even the good ones. It doesn't mean there isn't a decent story or interesting twist on the formula, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Yeah but "more of the same only bigger" describes all sequels, even the good ones. It doesn't mean there isn't a decent story or interesting twist on the formula, etc.

It's tough for it to work, Terminator 2 is a good example.

A new Predator film is always in a weird position: it's not necessarily the world's biggest IP, but it has a hardy, steadfast fandom. It's also not a particularly rich, diverse mythology or world, so there are only so many story variants you can tell without going to the well of "more of everything" every time. In fact, Shane Black is probably a more famous, marketable name at this stage than the actual subject matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Enjoyed that trailer. Loved the use of Sonny Landham's laugh at the end!

• Advertisement

Am too lazy to check back if it was mentioned previously, but apparently in February there were extensive reshoots that made wholesale changes to the final act of the film. I'm guessing given how recent the trailers are they include said reshoots, but who knows.

I also didn't spot any mention whether Shane Black was involved with the writing / directing of the rejig, which would be my main concern.

Advertisement