Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 5.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

bilston wrote: »
    It's good to get it.

I got mine yesterday (AZ), I'm definitely suffering now!

I can't remember the exact details of my weird dreams, but I was definitely helping Ted Hastings uncover police corruption at all levels in one of them! Aching all over now.:(

Got the Pfizer jab today. I hope I have more pleasant dreams than you lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Zzippy wrote: »
    Got the Pfizer jab today. I hope I have more pleasant dreams than you lads!

I had Pfizer and nothing more than a stiff shoulder after either shot if that's any consolation.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,013 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Bazzo you really shouldn't receive RNA vaccines while clinging onto the landing gear of a helicopter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Jaco, have you seen any of Martin Tobin's testimony in the trial into the death of George Floyd?

His first day of testimony (~3 hrs) was a masterclass in respiratory physiology as it relates to the case; he came armed with 3D reconstructions of the scene, EELV estimations for a man Floyd's height in different body positions and restraints, diagrams of hypopharynx restriction under different stress on the lungs, the whole nine yards: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjs29KBp3kA

The defense cross-examined him the following day, and he pretty much torched every single one of their horse-s**t theories, including the influence of fentanyl, covid, meth, even nicotine (first ~20 mins here): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwu42Lt4Skg

The story then got interesting in the days following Tobin's testimony. The defense called their own medical witness who claimed Floyd's carboxyhemoglobin could have increased by up to 18% being so close to a car's tail-pipe for that period of time. The prosecution couldn't rebute this claim with specific lab work. When Floyd was admitted to the ER, and arterial bloods were taken, the physicians didn't suspect carbon monoxide poisoning and didn't request these levels to be included in the lab report. So the lab did these tests, but only levels requested by the ER physicians got generated into the records, which were provided under subpoena and presented at discovery in the trial. The judge decided that introducing this new evidence so late in the day would prejudice the defense.

The judge did, however, allow the prosecution to recall Tobin as a rebuttal witness, and he could comment on environmental factors related to carbon monoxide poisoning. But, to quote the judge directly:

"if he even hints that there are test results that the jury has not heard about, it's going to be a mistrial, pure and simple"

So with all that being said, here's Tobin, back on stand a week after his initial testimony and cross-examination, to rebute the carbon monoxide theory (and one or two other matters), knowing that if he mentions lab tests about carboxyhemoglobin/carbon monoxide, it's game over for the prosecution.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l62gs5rKygQ
    While Tobin couldn't mention lab-measured levels of carboxyhemoglobin, he was free to mention oxygen saturation levels, which were included in the report to the ER physicians. These levels, 98%, meant that at most, carboxyhemoglobin could have been only 2%, within the normal range.

tl:dr - If Chauvin goes down for the death of George Floyd, this man from Freshford, Co. Kilkenny will have been the star witness for the prosecution.

I watched the defence's utterly feeble and fantastical gibberish. Talk about clutching at straws. Tobin is a star....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 108 ✭✭Garda Kenny

Had the Astra two weeks ago. Luckily on Good Friday because I had fever all night Friday and woke up in bits on Easter Saturday morning. Word is you all will need a THIRD Pfizer jab within a year. So much for the Americans bailing us out. Personally I’m putting my money on Moderna now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Had the Astra two weeks ago. Luckily on Good Friday because I had fever all night Friday and woke up in bits on Easter Saturday morning. Word is you all will need a THIRD Pfizer jab within a year. So much for the Americans bailing us out. Personally I’m putting my money on Moderna now.

Getting mine on Tuesday....fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

We will be getting a dose once a year for the rest of our lives regardless of which jab you take.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Teferi wrote: »
    We will be getting a dose once a year for the rest of our lives regardless of which jab you take.

It's beginning look like it, and if that's what it takes, I'll be first in the queue.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

vienne86 wrote: »
    It's beginning look like it, and if that's what it takes, I'll be first in the queue.

Back in line!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Teferi wrote: »

It will probably end up being like the flu vaccine. With the most vulnerable getting a booster every year. Don’t think it will be everyone. Then again with all the new variants and how quickly they spread, who knows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Football about to eat itself. Unbelievable stuff

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

What's happening there exactly?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,547 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

PRL/LNR Heineken Cup fiasco on steroids.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Fans hold the power surely?

Open letter to the club's....no more season tickets bought, no more replica jerseys bought, no more games watched on TV/online.

Must be a sobering thought for the clubs involved?

FA need to come down hard here. Mind you they've showed their weakness before when MU decided not to take part in the FA cup years ago. Simple option was to tell them....no more FA cup for the next 20 years if you boycott the cup this year.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,547 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

mfceiling wrote: »
    Fans hold the power surely?

Open letter to the club's....no more season tickets bought, no more replica jerseys bought, no more games watched on TV/online.

Must be a sobering thought for the clubs involved?

FA need to come down hard here. Mind you they've showed their weakness before when MU decided not to take part in the FA cup years ago. Simple option was to tell them....no more FA cup for the next 20 years if you boycott the cup this year.

Match tickets must be something of an irrelevance to them compared to the TV rights etc coming from this endeavour? And a lot of those TV rights won't even be from England/Italy/Spain.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Match tickets must be something of an irrelevance to them compared to the TV rights etc coming from this endeavour? And a lot of those TV rights won't even be from England/Italy/Spain.

That's true enough but a half empty stadium and a drop in replica kits etc must hurt? Maybe I'm naive and it's money at the end of the day and feck the fans.

• Administrators Posts: 53,438 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

A bunch of clubs want to create a new competition to play in instead of the Champions League. The format is a league format, to be played alongside their domestic league.

The new competition will have no promotion or relegation, the clubs involved will be guaranteed to be in it every year.

The numbers involved are massive. 3.5 billion pot for the founding clubs to share as a welcome payment.

It's a load of balls. FIFA and UEFA need to come down hard.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,076 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

awec wrote: »
    A bunch of clubs want to create a new competition to play in instead of the Champions League. The format is a league format, to be played alongside their domestic league.

The new competition will have no promotion or relegation, the clubs involved will be guaranteed to be in it every year.

The numbers involved are massive. 3.5 billion pot for the founding clubs to share as a welcome payment.

It's a load of balls. FIFA and UEFA need to come down hard.

Fifa are backing it

• Administrators Posts: 53,438 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Fifa are backing it

They aren't. I think FIFA had backed some previous chatter about it but I don't believe they are backing what was announced yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

It's replacing the European competitions...not the national leagues....there will be promotion & relegation... but not for the founding 12 clubs.
    Can see this new competition taking off regardless of what any football body thinks...the pandemic has shown the big boys that it's a fine line between financial success and disaster...Its going to happen I'm afraid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭OldRio

The money grab began when the F. L. was ditched and the Premiership began. Some type of European competition arranged by the big clubs was the next stage. The ditching of their domestic leagues for a worldwide super league is the end game. Full control by the 'chosen' with greed as the goal.

6 clubs from England, 3 from Spain and 3 from Italy are breaking away from the Champions League and forming their own 'Super League'. They're saying there's another 3 teams to come on board and those 15 will then be the 'founder members', with 5 other teams to be in it each year based on who knows what (but it will be decided by the 15 instead of the proper governing authorities).

These 15 teams will be in it every year no matter what, effectively getting rid of a proper merit system for qualifying, and ensuring they hold all the power and most of the money. There was a guy on Twitter posting back in January saying they'd seen the full plan, and there will be a situation where say Everton qualify (as part of the additional 5 teams) and go on to win it. They still won't earn as much as a 'founder member' team that was knocked out in the group stages.

This is a money grab, pure and simple. And it follows on from the absolutely stupid 'Project Big Picture' where they tried to concentrate the money and power in the Premier League in the top 6 teams. That was defeated so now they've come back with this nonsense.

Personally I think if they continue with it they should be fined, docked league points and their players should be banned from playing International football. The only thing that's going to give these greedy owners a kick up the ass is a massive hit in their pocket.

It's telling that the German clubs refused to join. They're the best run clubs in the World imo, with the fans owning most of them.

Ed Woodward has resigned from his post in Uefa...and United have pulled out of uefa, ...it's on like donkey kong!

Ed Woodward has resigned from his post in Uefa...and United have pulled out of uefa, ...it's on like donkey kong!

Apparently all 12 clubs have quit the European Club Association.

It's infuriating listening to the the radio and reading comments on line saying "sure this is no different than the Premier League pulling away from the old league structures". Clearly they don't understand that it was never a closed shop, and all clubs could be promoted and relegated. An absolutely huge difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I am no lover of football, but it'd be a shame to see domestic leagues gutted.

There is something very glamourous about Bournemouth, Eibar, Freiberg or Crotone playing at the top table.

You'll be relegating the likes of all of those, and old marquee clubs like Aston Villa, Leeds, etc to minor league status.

There is no real need to do this. It doesn't elevate the game at all. These are clubs worried that they're vulnerable in a financial fair play future.

errlloyd wrote: »
    I am no lover of football, but it'd be a shame to see domestic leagues gutted.

There is something very glamourous about Bournemouth, Eibar, Freiberg or Crotone playing at the top table.

You'll be relegating the likes of all of those, and old marquee clubs like Aston Villa, Leeds, etc to minor league status.

There is no real need to do this. It doesn't elevate the game at all. These are clubs worried that they're vulnerable in a financial fair play future.

Nothing changes on thatt front. Home leagues stay the same
    It basically meant the Champions league is now dead and buried

There's absolutely no way the rest of the teams in the leagues and the Governing bodies are going to stand by and allow this happen as proposed.

Edit: what's with Boards inserting blank lines all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Disagree for two reasons.

1: They're replacing the CL (13 game season for the winners) with a 25 game format. So they're hoping to (in time) elevate their Super League to being the dominant game in town from a fan attention perspective.

2: They're effectively not going to allow teams to play in it. I know they say 5 more teams can qualify... But that will realistically be unworkable.

• Advertisement

There's absolutely no way the rest of the teams in the leagues and the Governing bodies are going to stand by and allow this happen as proposed.

Edit: what's with Boards inserting blank lines all over the place.

They have no real power here...as long as they fulfill their commitment to the PL, there's nothing can be done.
    European competitions are no longer their concern....I cant see EUFA trying to go down the legal route here as it would get very messy imo

Advertisement