Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 5.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

They have no real power here...as long as they fulfill their commitment to the PL, there's nothing can be done.
    European competitions are no longer their concern....I cant see EUFA trying to go down the legal route here as it would get very messy imo

I wonder.

If the Premier League ejected the big 6 - would fans still watch it? Would current fans of the Big 6 adopt other teams to support in order to get their fix. Is the Premier League bigger than United? - It might be, it'd certainly be worth trying because maybe United is bigger now, maybe it isn't, but it is clear who's brand is growing faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,337 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

errlloyd wrote: »
    I wonder.

If the Premier League ejected the big 6 - would fans still watch it? Would current fans of the Big 6 adopt other teams to support in order to get their fix. Is the Premier League bigger than United? - It might be, it'd certainly be worth trying because maybe United is bigger now, maybe it isn't, but it is clear who's brand is growing faster.
    I can't see how this can succeed. FIFA owns football worldwide, it's clearly not in its interest for commercial operations to rob its clothes. And they'll win any court cases they take on that basis, thus impoverishing this entity before it gets started.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,614 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

errlloyd wrote: »
    I wonder.

Premier League is bigger than United, but I don't think it's bigger than the big 6.

When you take out Liverpool, City, Chelsea and (as disgusted as I am to say this) Arsenal, they're the main bandwagon clubs that have a massive international support and are widely known across the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭hold my beer

They have no real power here...as long as they fulfill their commitment to the PL, there's nothing can be done.
    European competitions are no longer their concern....I cant see EUFA trying to go down the legal route here as it would get very messy imo

Of course they have power, it's just going to depend how far they use it. From Sky Sports here: -

Under Premier League rule L.9, which all 20 clubs sign up to, clubs must obtain 'prior written approval of the Board' if they wish to enter to anything other than the Champions League, Europa League, FA Cup, FA Community Shield, Carabao Cup or any other competition sanctioned by the county association.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Why on Earth wouldn't UEFA go down the legal route? They are looking at their prime club level competition being eviscerated.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Why on Earth wouldn't UEFA go down the legal route? They are looking at their prime club level competition being eviscerated.

If you apply for a UEFA license, you can play in European competition if you qualify.
    If you don't apply, or relinquish...that's where the argument lies...clubs can't be coerced into playing in a competition imo...

There's 3 more founding clubs to join over the coming week.
    So... Bayern... PSG ....and possibly Dortmund are my guess.
    UEFA will look to try and punish individual players and not clubs

If you apply for a UEFA license, you can play in European competition if you qualify.
    If you don't apply, or relinquish...that's where the argument lies...clubs can't be coerced into playing in a competition imo...

You can be forced into not playing in another, competing competition.

UEFA and the individual FAs can simply make it a choice between their domestic leagues and this superleague.

UEFA and the individual FAs can simply make it a choice between their domestic leagues and this superleague.

UEFA have no say in the PL
    And tbh...I can't see the PL telling their financial gravy train to go away.. United, City, Liverpool, Arsenal,Spurs & Chelsea are the PL....as long as they commit to playing in the PL.. nothing will be put in place to try to stop them from playing in the new superleague.
    Just caught the headlines there, it seems that UEFA are already admitting defeat on the club side and are trying to ban individual players from the world cup and European championships....on the plus side...it means Ireland might actually qualify for something in the coming years.

Yeah. The sport of football (soccer) is owned by the governing bodies. You can't just set up a league outside of their structures and hope to get away with it. It's just nuts.

• Advertisement

And tbh...I can't see the PL telling their financial gravy train to go away.. United, City, Liverpool, Arsenal,Spurs & Chelsea are the PL....as long as they commit to playing in the PL.. nothing will be put in place to try to stop them from playing in the new superleague.
    Just caught the headlines there, it seems that UEFA are already admitting defeat on the club side and are trying to ban individual players from the world cup and European championships....on the plus side...it means Ireland might actually qualify for something in the coming years.
    You're jumping to conclusions there. They will take legal action against the Super League, the individual clubs is a bit messier and less clear cut since clubs are the province of their national associations and not UEFA.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭OldRio

But Tottenham Hotspurs?

Elite football club?

:D:D:D

• Administrators Posts: 53,509 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

There's 3 more founding clubs to join over the coming week.
    So... Bayern... PSG ....and possibly Dortmund are my guess.
    UEFA will look to try and punish individual players and not clubs

I'd be fairly confident the German teams won't jump ship.

OldRio wrote: »
    But Tottenham Hotspurs?

Elite football club?

From a Spurs forum:
    Spurs joining this super league is like Banana-man joining the Avengers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

awec wrote: »
    Yeah especially with how club's members retain overall control through owning 50% of shares, +1 share.

The FA are no more a fan of this than UEFA.

The other 14 teams in the PL are also not going to be interested in no longer being able to qualify for a European competition while the hallowed 6 get in automatically with massively more money. Leicester, West Ham etc will be well within their rights, and will most definitely want to, tell these 6 to **** off.

awec wrote: »

They won't be able to because they're fan owned (apart from Leipzig but they're a different story).

They'll never get the support to be able to push it through.

OldRio wrote: »
    But Tottenham Hotspurs?

Elite football club?

Hey screw you Rio we eh..... Made the champions league final 2 years ago and eh..... We have a nice stadium I guess?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Soccer's infamously corrupt governing bodies had no issue letting the billionaires in. From Sky partnering with the FA in forming the EPL to the Middle-Eastern bloody money buying clubs. 99% of Soccer's wealth had already become concentrated in a handful of clubs.

A subgroup of the billionaires decide they don't like their cut, and are going into business for themselves. OK, so now it's 99.9%, and a slightly smaller handful.

And now we're all supposed to be outraged?

The only thing I know for sure, is that Sky didn't get the rights to this new league, or their pundits wouldn't be spewing fatwas left right and centre.

Neil you completely ignore the fact that this new super league is going to be a closed shop pretty much. That's what's angering fans.

• Advertisement

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Soccer's infamously corrupt governing bodies had no issue letting the billionaires in. From Sky partnering with the FA in forming the EPL to the Middle-Eastern bloody money buying clubs. 99% of Soccer's wealth had already become concentrated in a handful of clubs.

A subgroup of the billionaires decide they don't like their cut, and are going into business for themselves. OK, so now it's 99.9%, and a slightly smaller handful.

The only thing I know for sure, is that Sky didn't get the rights to this new league, or their pundits wouldn't be spewing fatwas left right and centre.

Since they've lost the Pro14 eir might be in the market :D

Everyone seems to be applauding Gary Neville's comments on it, but he's not only a Sky presenter, but also a stakeholder in a league two team where him and his cohorts of other millionaires spent hundreds of thousands if not millions to pump into a non-league club and outspend their competition. Of course he's going to be pissed at the thought of not being able to return that investment now.

Neil you completely ignore the fact that this new super league is going to be a closed shop pretty much. That's what's angering fans.

The current system is practically closed as it is.

If you're not already one of the big boys, or owned by a billionaire, what are your prospects in the Uefa Champion's League?

The current system is practically closed as it is.

If you're not already one of the big boys, or owned by a billionaire, what are your prospects in the Uefa Champion's League?

Except it's absolutely not closed. We had Leicester winning the league a few years ago. We had Villa (a stalwart of the Premier League) being relegated. That argument just doesn't stand up.

Except it's absolutely not closed. We had Leicester winning the league a few years ago. We had Villa (a stalwart of the Premier League) being relegated. That argument just doesn't stand up.

The Srivaddhanaprabha estate is estimated at ~$5bn.

It doesn't matter. It's still not closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

So this will be soccer's downfall and rugby will finally take its rightful place as the most popular team sport in the world. Great news.

My hunch is that rugby is 10-20 years away from something similar, at most.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I'd agree with this hunch, but it almost more justifiable in rugby. An NFL like model for Europe would probably do quite well.

• Advertisement

I dunno. It will probably happen eventually, but the money in the international game in rugby still dwarfs the club game.

Advertisement