Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 5.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

There's currently a massive bank transfer on the way to the Tory party. Bojo will back off tomorrow once it hits the account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

I think UEFA & FIFA getting it out there that they will ban players from their competitions is very clever indeed
    It'll mobilize players at the likes of Liverpool and Utd to revolt as they want to play at the European championships, and upcoming world cups.
    It'll also stop players transfering to these clubs, knowing it'll kill their international careers.... clever.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,346 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

I think UEFA & FIFA getting it out there that they will ban players from their competitions is very clever indeed
    It'll mobilize players at the likes of Liverpool and Utd to revolt as they want to play at the European championships, and upcoming world cups.
    It'll also stop players transfering to these clubs, knowing it'll kill their international careers.... clever.
    It's the obvious move and the one that has the least moving parts. As a player you're a member of your FA, and through that all the way up to FIFA. If you're dumped out of your FA, that's it, end of story. If your FA doesn't enforce the rules, they're out too. And it's not just World Cups you're out of, it's the Olympics too. It's basically the same process as a doping ban.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Its not relegation, its an invitational tournament where they decide on a whim who the extra 25% of people they choose to let in are.

That's just poker night in my house. With slightly smaller stakes. Obvs.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Place your bets:

In your lifetime you will see a major English/French/Spanish club physically relocate to a developing market like China.

I'm leaning
    yes
    myself.

• Advertisement

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Place your bets:

In your lifetime you will see a major English/French/Spanish club physically relocate to a developing market like China.

I'm leaning
    yes
    myself.

This was tried already, remember the "Dublin Dons" ?
    the FAI & FIFA stopped it.
    cant see it being like NFL franchises tbh

This was tried already, remember the "Dublin Dons" ?
    the FAI & FIFA stopped it.
    cant see it being like NFL franchises tbh

The Super League is the first step toward a situation where an association couldn't stop it happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭hold my beer

The Super League is the first step toward a situation where an association couldn't stop it happening.

That's if it goes ahead, which is looking less likely by the day.

For sure there's a clatter of "ifs", but thinking in longer time scales, I just can't see how you stop a club-owned league eventually emerging.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,876 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

For sure there's a clatter of "ifs", but thinking in longer time scales, I just can't see how you stop a club-owned league eventually emerging.

No licence to operate, no planning permission for events (games), no fans, boycotts of merchandise and associate sponsors, potential withdrawal of those same sponsors under pressure from orthodox Football.

These fellas can have their league, but it'll be held on a training pitch in Antarctica.

I'm not overstating this either, those fans would rather burn down Anfield, Old Trafford, the Bridge and all the rest rather than see this continue. They are frustrated from the pandemic, bored, done with Authority, and sick and tired of being dictated to by prycks like Joel Glazer and Andrea Agnelli.

Listening to the organised backlash emerge these last few days I was trying to figure out what was so familiar about it. I came to the realisation that it reminds me of two events in history, Operation Valkyrie and the Turkish Coup of 2016.

Why? Both were botched, both were prosecuted by clowns, both were catastrophically misjudged and both were stamped on with such force that all that was left of the organisers was dust and memories. Now that the Super League has roused a sleeping giant, that's the fate the dirty dozen can expect.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

https://twitter.com/ESPNFC/status/1384433931785736195

This isn't just a new competition, this is potentially a Rugby Union vs Rugby League type break

Chelsea have blinked!!!

Chelsea have blinked!!!

absolute lols.

No idea what they are thinking. They are removing all leverage the group have and will remain hated and lacking trust going forward.

absolute lols.

No idea what they are thinking. They are removing all leverage the group have and will remain hated and lacking trust going forward.

Absolutely bricking it that they would be chucked out of the champions league immediately.... Abramovich didn't like that at all

Absolutely bricking it that they would be chucked out of the champions league immediately.... Abramovich didn't like that at all

Well they have done a spectacular job of making a bad situation even worse for themselves. They will have made enemies of the entire PL and the 6 non-PL teams in this weird coup attempt.

Well they have done a spectacular job of making a bad situation even worse for themselves. They will have made enemies of the entire PL and the 6 non-PL teams in this weird coup attempt.

That's a funny way of looking at it. Had they continued it would have been a million times worse. They also won't be the only team to pull out.

Edit: And City are gone

That's a funny way of looking at it. Had they continued it would have been a million times worse. They also won't be the only team to pull out.

Edit: And City are gone

I suspect several of them at least were planning on pulling out the whole time. But if it was a tool/method to gain leverage over the Champions League then they have utterly failed.

Dropping out now won't buy them any friends and will just ruin any chance of getting something out of the situation and will simultaneously ruin any chance of the other teams getting anything out of it. Anything other than a joint statement from all the teams was going to make things even messier.

I suspect several of them at least were planning on pulling out the whole time. But if it was a tool/method to gain leverage over the Champions League then they have utterly failed.

Dropping out now won't buy them any friends and will just ruin any chance of getting something out of the situation and will simultaneously ruin any chance of the other teams getting anything out of it. Anything other than a joint statement from all the teams was going to make things even messier.

I wouldn't have been happy had they been given any concessions. They deserve nothing. And I'm guessing most football fans would feel the same.

I wouldn't have been happy had they been given any concessions. They deserve nothing. And I'm guessing most football fans would feel the same.

Oh, I think they deserved **** all too. But now both the fans and the remaining superleague teams will hate them.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    No licence to operate, no planning permission for events (games), no fans, boycotts of merchandise and associate sponsors, potential withdrawal of those same sponsors under pressure from orthodox Football.

These fellas can have their league, but it'll be held on a training pitch in Antarctica.

I'm not overstating this either, those fans would rather burn down Anfield, Old Trafford, the Bridge and all the rest rather than see this continue. They are frustrated from the pandemic, bored, done with Authority, and sick and tired of being dictated to by prycks like Joel Glazer and Andrea Agnelli.

Listening to the organised backlash emerge these last few days I was trying to figure out what was so familiar about it. I came to the realisation that it reminds me of two events in history, Operation Valkyrie and the Turkish Coup of 2016.

Why? Both were botched, both were prosecuted by clowns, both were catastrophically misjudged and both were stamped on with such force that all that was left of the organisers was dust and memories. Now that the Super League has roused a sleeping giant, that's the fate the dirty dozen can expect.

Money will guide this, long term. If enough revenue is generated outside of Europe and if enough of the bigger clubs and their billionaire owners don't like their cut, a break-away NFL-style league is not just likely, I'd go as far as to say it's probable. The impotent rage of fans in England can be channeled into whatever antisocial behaviour they please, these "clubs" are now global corporations, seeking to maximise their return.

• Advertisement

I honestly think some of the owners are so far removed from reality that they thought this would sail through with no opposition. Off The Ball and various other people keep saying it was a leverage ploy but I don't buy it. It was greed from the start and they thought they'd get away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,614 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Would love to see the FA/UEFA/FIFA reprimand the clubs eventually even if it's a case that they all withdraw within the next couple of days. Maybe not as drastically as if they had gone ahead with it but there's no way this is something that should be let blow over.

Money will guide this, long term. If enough revenue is generated outside of Europe and if enough of the bigger clubs and their billionaire owners don't like their cut, a break-away NFL-style league is not just likely, I'd go as far as to say it's probable. The impotent rage of fans in England can be channeled into whatever antisocial behaviour they please, these "clubs" are now global corporations, seeking to maximise their return.

Completely disagree and this current farce shows it. Football is more than money to too many people.

Athletico being reported as gone now too.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,876 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Jesus, imagine if you had a massive shareholding in one of these Clubs and this was the strategic judgement of the executive officers playing out in front of you. You'd be fit to be tied.

Absolute school of clowns.

Perez, Agnelli, Woodward, all up in front of a firing squad by Friday.

Completely disagree and this current farce shows it. Football is more than money to too many people.

The entire revamped CL idea was completely money driven to make sure the big name teams all make it. FFP is a joke. Money is already running the sport, this was just either a bridge too far or a leap too early.

I'm not surprised its come asunder, but I'm surprised it has happened so quickly. This will also kill any idea of using the concept as leverage for years and years to come. Massive own goal.

I don't necessarily disagree with you.

But my position is more that, "right now, enough revenue is probably generated by customers who (claim) that certain aspects of football have significant value - i.e, its history, heritage, etc.".

But I'd also be pretty sure that the current dynamic is by no means permanent.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

AzFyS1.gif

The entire revamped CL idea was completely money driven to make sure the big name teams all make it. FFP is a joke. Money is already running the sport, this was just either a bridge too far or a leap too early.

Where are you getting that first sentence from? I'd agree about money ruining the game. My biggest hope now is that they put salary caps in place and enforce them. And maybe cap the price of what clubs can charge fans for match day tickets.

Where are you getting that first sentence from? I'd agree about money ruining the game. My biggest hope now is that they put salary caps in place and enforce them. And maybe cap the price of what clubs can charge fans for match day tickets.

They are trying to put extra qualification places in for teams that have historically done well in the CL but don't make the tournament no? That is the essence of protecting the big money teams.

FFP is a joke, there is not a hope of a properly enforced salary cap.

• Advertisement

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Jesus, imagine if you had a massive shareholding in one of these Clubs and this was the strategic judgement of the executive officers playing out in front of you. You'd be fit to be tied.

Absolute school of clowns.

Perez, Agnelli, Woodward, all up in front of a firing squad by Friday.

Woodward is a smarmy git.... but this was not of his doing... the Glazer family drove this on ....I'd think that United will be the last English club to pull out

Advertisement