Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 5.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I dunno. It will probably happen eventually, but the money in the international game in rugby still dwarfs the club game.

True, I suppose. Though was there more money in International football back in the early 90s when the EPL became a thing? Or at the very least, a much smaller asymmetry.

errlloyd wrote: »
    I'd agree with this hunch, but it almost more justifiable in rugby. An NFL like model for Europe would probably do quite well.

I don't think I'd like to see it, personally. The "santa-comes-ones-a-year" logic is what makes the ERC so special.

But if enough capital gets behind the idea, it's probably inevitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,604 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Neil3030 wrote: »
    I don't think I'd like to see it, personally. The "santa-comes-ones-a-year" logic is what makes the ERC so special.

But if enough capital gets behind the idea, it's probably inevitable.

I don't think it'll be better for fans. But it is probably the best moel to reduce the number of games for player welfare reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,791 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

My hunch is that rugby is 10-20 years away from something similar, at most.

So 12 soccer teams want to form a league where there is no relegation.
    They should call it something like the Pro 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,490 ✭✭✭swiwi_

What would people say if European rugby became like that? 12 team closed shop with Leinster, Munster, 5 English clubs, 5 French clubs. No qualifying, no relegation, a large money pot to share round.

• Advertisement

swiwi_ wrote: »
    What would people say if European rugby became like that? 12 team closed shop with Leinster, Munster, 5 English clubs, 5 French clubs. No qualifying, no relegation, a large money pot to share round.

Well, upon seeing Munster in the league, people would likely say something similar to a previous statement, involving the words 'Bananaman' and 'Avengers'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

You do know there is relegation, yes?
    The founding 12 members will be backstopped for want of a better word ..the next 3...maybe...but the 5 additional members are open to relegation

• Registered Users Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

You do know there is relegation, yes?
    The founding 12 members will be backstopped for want of a better word ..the next 3...maybe...but the 5 additional members are open to relegation

well it isnt relegation. there will be 15 clubs who are guaranteed to be playing every year and then 5 spots will be open to qualification every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭hold my beer

No European club in their right mind would settle for the chance of being 1 of these 5 clubs who qualify. They should all tell the 12 or 15 to get stuffed.

well it isnt relegation. there will be 15 clubs who are guaranteed to be playing every year and then 5 spots will be open to qualification every year.

So..5 members are open to relegation.. which is exactly what I said.... until we know more..and the make up of the competition...this is all we know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

So..5 members are open to relegation.. which is exactly what I said.... until we know more..and the make up of the competition...this is all we know

It isnt relegation though. The next 5 beyond the core members have to qualify every year. That doesnt mean there is relegation.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Its not relegation, its an invitational tournament where they decide on a whim who the extra 25% of people they choose to let in are.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Its not relegation, its an invitational tournament where they decide on a whim who the extra 25% of people they choose to let in are.

We don't know the criteria for relegation as yet.
    Not sure if anyone remembers the old English 4th division where the bottom 4 teams were put forward for re-election....I have a feeling it may be along this lines...at least for the first year or 2
    I can't see this not happening, the big clubs want to increase their earnings... the new, revamped champions league doesn't meet their needs...so they'll move ahead.
    At this point, the only way this stops is if UEFA grant the big boys independent TV deals, perhaps larger cuts from sponsorship partners, easing of financial fair play restrictions....the club's hold all the cards here and they know it.
    I'm arguing for the club's...but believe me, I want the CL to stay as is, ....history and your club are things that money can't buy.... but the club owners are trying to put a price on it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,490 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Well, upon seeing Munster in the league, people would likely say something similar to a previous statement, involving the words 'Bananaman' and 'Avengers'.

Is it just me or is smug posting about Munster wearing a little thin? There’s banter and then there’s tedium. Not a go at you per se Neil but for me at least it’s started to all get a bit tedious. We all know that leinster are currently the best Irish team and Munster have their travails but history shows the tables will be turned at some stage.

Is it just me or is smug posting about Munster wearing a little thin? There’s banter and then there’s tedium. Not a go at you per se Neil but for me at least it’s started to all get a bit tedious. We all know that leinster are currently the best Irish team and Munster have their travails but history shows the tables will be turned at some stage.

I have a feeling you've picked the wrong individual here... fairly sure hes a Munster fan and was being a little sarcastic
    Unless....he's double bluffed me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

The fact the tables will be turned is exactly why it’s not tedious for me. Not that I’m biased

Fair play to Gary Neville, he's come out strongly against the superleague & the Glazer family...he wants them booted out of the club and the country...he's calling upon Klopp & Solskjaer to say no and the players to mobilize against it ..

I'm the finest Limerick export since Richard Harris!

Speaking of, this is a magnificent story:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Some people are finding it a godsend. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Thank you for that. I watched it twice, the second time just to hear his voice. What a legend.

• Advertisement

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Thank you for that. I watched it twice, the second time just to hear his voice. What a legend.

~300 more times and you'll have caught up with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,214 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Fair play to Gary Neville, he's come out strongly against the superleague & the Glazer family...he wants them booted out of the club and the country...he's calling upon Klopp & Solskjaer to say no and the players to mobilize against it ..

Neville is right but it's more than a little ironic that he is saying it on Sky, which has long gouged supporters for as much as it can. Sky are only concerned about this because it might be Amazon, BT, etc doing the gouging.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,791 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Best one I saw today....

Spurs joining the Super League is like me walking into the Crucible and putting 50p on the table.

Along with....

Spurs joining a European Super League is like bananaman getting called up as an Avenger.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

mfceiling wrote: »
    Best one I saw today....

Spurs joining the Super League is like me walking into the Crucible and putting 50p on the table.

Along with....

Spurs joining a European Super League is like bananaman getting called up as an Avenger.

As a Spurs fan I concur with both.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

awec wrote: »
    A bunch of clubs want to create a new competition to play in instead of the Champions League. The format is a league format, to be played alongside their domestic league.

The new competition will have no promotion or relegation, the clubs involved will be guaranteed to be in it every year.

The numbers involved are massive. 3.5 billion pot for the founding clubs to share as a welcome payment.

It's a load of balls. FIFA and UEFA need to come down hard.

Sounds even more boring than the Champions League. Who wants this?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

It's probably been posted here many times before, but for the topic that's in it.

• Administrators Posts: 53,557 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Sounds even more boring than the Champions League. Who wants this?

The owners of the 12 clubs involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭hold my beer

awec wrote: »
    The owners of the 12 clubs involved.

The dirty dozen

• Registered Users Posts: 23,921 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

For a bunch of clubs worth billions, its more than a bit mad that they didn't assess the risks of trying to blow up basically a global system in which they only control a small part.

FIFA, UEFA and their domestic FAs can chuck them out of their domestic competitions and ban their players from international representation, based on breach of many contracts.

Their players will be queuing up to void contracts, basically cos of all of the above.

Their "legacy" fans (how insulting is that) will boycott games, picket stadiums, petition suppliers to bail, riot, heck knows what else.

The big broadcasters are inextricably linked to existing structures, so Super League will need a new online platform. Not a deal breaker, but a challenge.

The Governments can torment them. Refuse to licence matches, turn down development plans, tie them up in knots with Revenue, parliamentary investigations, the lot. That goes double for the UK, where EU competition laws and so on, no longer apply.

Other clubs and agents can refuse to do business with them. Best of luck playing matches with no players!

Who knows what they've already signed with JP Morgan. When they have to pull out of it, Morgan might ruin the lot!

Apart from Woodward and Agnelli being less honorable than Vito Corleone, its just the most unbelievable set of circumstances for a mature industry.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,557 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The government clipping the wings of the big football clubs would be incredibly good politics in the UK. Unsurprising that the tories are all over it like a rash already.

Advertisement