Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 5.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Extra 500k vaccines from the Pfizer lads anyway. We’re all gonna be licking pavements by the end of summer, not to worry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭MaybeMaybe

Extra 500k vaccines from the Pfizer lads anyway. We’re all gonna be licking pavements by the end of summer, not to worry

eh... you need to vaccinated for that? news to me

• Registered Users Posts: 24,193 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Wait, we were supposed to stop doing that?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Just a reminder folks, we're all affected by Covid but discussion of politics is not allowed, so keep it to the science. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Jab done!! Just a 15 minute wait and I'm out the gate.

I'll give the nordies their dues....this place is running with military precision and they are flying through them. 1500 people in this centre today. Hopefully we can catch up quickly in the south.

Pfizer as well!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,610 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Denmark have halted the use of Astrazeneca altogether, 2.4 million doses withdrawn. But they did a study showing 1 in 40k getting blood clots from it.

Although it seems they're a good bit further along with their rollout and they reckon they've enough supply of other vaccines to not make a massive difference

• Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

mfceiling wrote: »

I'll give the nordies their dues....this place is running with military precision and they are flying through them. 1500 people in this centre today. Hopefully we can catch up quickly in the south.

Pfizer as well!!

Show off.

No I'm not jealous.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Pfizer as well!!

Just heard from my uncle who got it in Dublin. Same deal. 15 min wait, second jab will be in 4 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,393 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Pfizer as well!!

Had mine earlier in the week. Well-organised, painless, great staff.

9/10 - Would Get Another Vaccine Here Again

• Registered Users Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Negative point incoming...

Had a brutal headache last night around 8.30. Took 1 paracetamol and 1 ibuprofen and went straight to bed. Woke up at 2.30 this morning as right as rain (was having a weird dream - I was putting dental sticks into cheese to impress Nidge from love/hate (don't ask).

Perfect form today though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Woke up at 2.30 this morning as right as rain (was having a weird dream - I was putting dental sticks into cheese to impress Nidge from love/hate (don't ask).

I've had that dream. I always wake up just before Robert Sheehan steps out of the shower though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Fairly sure Audible and returning books was discussed here before. I recently got a 'You're a naughty boy' email from them. Basically said it's only to take a chance on a new title or author. I didn't return any of my books, it was the OH downloading and half listening to books for a book club she's in. So watch out if you do it. I told my OH to stop.

Fairly sure Audible and returning books was discussed here before. I recently got a 'You're a naughty boy' email from them. Basically said it's only to take a chance on a new title or author. I didn't return any of my books, it was the OH downloading and half listening to books for a book club she's in. So watch out if you do it. I told my OH to stop.

Very curious email. Would you mind posting the whole thing? I have listened to entire books and returned them a few times.

Very curious email. Would you mind posting the whole thing? I have listened to entire books and returned them a few times.

She was returning about 4 or 5 books at a time, maybe once every 18 months or so. Here's the full mail: -

Dear Listener,

We hope this email finds you well.

We’ve noticed several returned titles on your account over the past few months.

Under our return policy, we provide active members with the flexibility to return titles to allow them to take a chance on a new story or voice. Our ability to continue to offer this flexibility is dependent on members using it for this purpose only.

If you're finding that titles you’ve chosen are not what you expected, we encourage you to try listening to samples and reading customer reviews before making a selection.

As always our customer care team is here to help you find what you need.
    The Audible UK Team

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

On the subject of ebooks and the like, I picked up a kobo libra h2o this week. Integrates nicely with OverDrive (https://www.overdrive.com/) which gives you access to your local library and syncs with pocket (https://getpocket.com), so you can read articles from around the web you've seen through the day and marked for reading later.

A lot more flexibility than my kindle.

See WhatsApp are back to changing their privacy policy. I'm trying to read the changes but they won't let me without letting them install a cookie on my device, which I don't want. Think I'm going to delete it before the 15th May. Truly awful company

• Registered Users Posts: 13,326 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

See WhatsApp are back to changing their privacy policy. I'm trying to read the changes but they won't let me without letting them install a cookie on my device, which I don't want. Think I'm going to delete it before the 15th May. Truly awful company
    Why not install the cookie? With a PP it's probably a record of whether or not you've read it. But you can delete it afterwards anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,763 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Negative point incoming...

Had a brutal headache last night around 8.30. Took 1 paracetamol and 1 ibuprofen and went straight to bed. Woke up at 2.30 this morning as right as rain (was having a weird dream - I was putting dental sticks into cheese to impress Nidge from love/hate (don't ask).

Perfect form today though.

It's good to get it.

I got mine yesterday (AZ), I'm definitely suffering now!

I can't remember the exact details of my weird dreams, but I was definitely helping Ted Hastings uncover police corruption at all levels in one of them! Aching all over now.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,326 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

bilston wrote: »
    It's good to get it.

I got mine yesterday (AZ), I'm definitely suffering now!

I can't remember the exact details of my weird dreams, but I was definitely helping Ted Hastings uncover police corruption at all levels in one of them! Aching all over now.:(
    giphy.gif

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Why not install the cookie? With a PP it's probably a record of whether or not you've read it. But you can delete it afterwards anyway.

I wouldn't trust Facebook with anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Is there a name for the phobia where you have a paranoid fear of social media companies and what they do with your data? I think people have a way too self inflated idea of their own importance. Sure if you’re famous then you’re worth something, otherwise you’re just another anonymous face among millions.

swiwi_ wrote: »
    Is there a name for the phobia where you have a paranoid fear of social media companies and what they do with your data? I think people have a way too self inflated idea of their own importance. Sure if you’re famous then you’re worth something, otherwise you’re just another anonymous face among millions.

It's called privacy. You might not care, but a lot of people do.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

I definitely don't have any phobia of it(in fact I'm probably a lot less bothered by it than I should be), but I think you're probably vastly underestimating how rampantly social media giants are abusing everybody's digital privacy. It will be interesting to see how digital privacy protection changes over the next couple of decades.

Bazzo wrote: »
    I definitely don't have any phobia of it(in fact I'm probably a lot less bothered by it than I should be), but I think you're probably vastly underestimating how rampantly social media giants are rampantly abusing everybody's digital privacy. It will be interesting to see how digital privacy protection changes over the next couple of decades.

I’m just not that fussed. If FB wants to put ads for rugby apparel because my cookies show I follow rugby so be it. I think they have my name, my DOB and the country I live in. Not more than that.

I’m just not that fussed. If FB wants to put ads for rugby apparel because my cookies show I follow rugby so be it. I think they have my name, my DOB and the country I live in. Not more than that.

Do you care that Facebook aren't very good at protecting your data? So not only do they have it, it's probably floating around on a list held by anyone and everyone.

Then, add in the fact that those pieces of data are not the only ones they hold belonging to you, and you might start seeing why it can be a big problem.

Do you care that Facebook aren't very good at protecting your data? So not only do they have it, it's probably floating around on a list held by anyone and everyone.

Then, add in the fact that those pieces of data are not the only ones they hold belonging to you, and you might start seeing why it can be a big problem.

Sure if I was famous or a criminal or a deviant etc. I’ve nothing to hide and I’m not mega wealthy. Switzerland also has very strict privacy laws. I wouldn’t want my credit card details etc out there. I just think people se way too paranoid when they are just small fry. Maybe I’m too naive.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,340 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

People are small fry individually. In bulk, people are easily influenced by the companies manipulating the data that is collected on them. See more: Cambridge Analytica.

Sure if I was famous or a criminal or a deviant etc. I’ve nothing to hide and I’m not mega wealthy. Switzerland also has very strict privacy laws. I wouldn’t want my credit card details etc out there. I just think people se way too paranoid when they are just small fry. Maybe I’m too naive.

The I've nothing to hide argument is a silly and dangerous argument, and distracts from the real issue of why these companies collect the data and how bad they are at securing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭DGRulz

The I've nothing to hide argument is a silly and dangerous argument, and distracts from the real issue of why these companies collect the data and how bad they are at securing it.

I've always likened the nothing to hide argument to going to the toilet. You've probably nothing to hide but you still shut the door and lock it behind you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,035 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Jaco, have you seen any of Martin Tobin's testimony in the trial into the death of George Floyd?

His first day of testimony (~3 hrs) was a masterclass in respiratory physiology as it relates to the case; he came armed with 3D reconstructions of the scene, EELV estimations for a man Floyd's height in different body positions and restraints, diagrams of hypopharynx restriction under different stress on the lungs, the whole nine yards: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjs29KBp3kA

The defense cross-examined him the following day, and he pretty much torched every single one of their horse-s**t theories, including the influence of fentanyl, covid, meth, even nicotine (first ~20 mins here): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwu42Lt4Skg

The story then got interesting in the days following Tobin's testimony. The defense called their own medical witness who claimed Floyd's carboxyhemoglobin could have increased by up to 18% being so close to a car's tail-pipe for that period of time. The prosecution couldn't rebute this claim with specific lab work. When Floyd was admitted to the ER, and arterial bloods were taken, the physicians didn't suspect carbon monoxide poisoning and didn't request these levels to be included in the lab report. So the lab did these tests, but only levels requested by the ER physicians got generated into the records, which were provided under subpoena and presented at discovery in the trial. The judge decided that introducing this new evidence so late in the day would prejudice the defense.

The judge did, however, allow the prosecution to recall Tobin as a rebuttal witness, and he could comment on environmental factors related to carbon monoxide poisoning. But, to quote the judge directly:

"if he even hints that there are test results that the jury has not heard about, it's going to be a mistrial, pure and simple"

So with all that being said, here's Tobin, back on stand a week after his initial testimony and cross-examination, to rebute the carbon monoxide theory (and one or two other matters), knowing that if he mentions lab tests about carboxyhemoglobin/carbon monoxide, it's game over for the prosecution.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l62gs5rKygQ
    While Tobin couldn't mention lab-measured levels of carboxyhemoglobin, he was free to mention oxygen saturation levels, which were included in the report to the ER physicians. These levels, 98%, meant that at most, carboxyhemoglobin could have been only 2%, within the normal range.

tl:dr - If Chauvin goes down for the death of George Floyd, this man from Freshford, Co. Kilkenny will have been the star witness for the prosecution.

Advertisement