Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 5.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Has Ireland changed its dosing regime to the same as the UK? With longer than 4 weeks between shots?

The other half had AstraZeneca and was told her second will still be AstraZeneca, if she doesn't want it she won't be offered and alternative (she had no intent to decline it just to be clear). And she's in the highest risk category

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Bazzo wrote: »
    Has Ireland changed its dosing regime to the same as the UK? With longer than 4 weeks between shots?

The other half had AstraZeneca and was told her second will still be AstraZeneca, if she doesn't want it she won't be offered and alternative (she had no intent to decline it just to be clear). And she's in the highest risk category

For AZ its a 12 week interval here
    Moderna and Pfizer are 3 to 4 weeks interval

• Registered Users Posts: 5,916 ✭✭✭jacothelad

The whole AZ fiasco has been a complete shítshow from the start, you couldn't make it up really.

First the shortage of deliveries, then the EU threatening to block the export of the vaccines and causing murder with cries of breaching the GFA, then saying they shouldn't be used for over 70s, then saying it shouldn't be used for under 60s.

I had my second AZ vaccine today. Such a pity how it has worked out for others with fewer miles on the clock. ;):D Lets hope they can suss out why it causes the strange clotting events and re-engineer it. Still it's great for us crumblies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

jacothelad wrote: »
    I had my second AZ vaccine today. Such a pity how it has worked out for others with fewer miles on the clock. ;):D Lets hope they can suss out why it causes the strange clotting events and re-engineer it. Still it's great for us crumblies.

Good stuff Jaco take it easy over the next few days.

FACECUTTR wrote: »
    Good stuff Jaco take it easy over the next few days.
    That's how I live these days anyway. :D Can't wait for music venues to open up again....if they do. My wife bought me a Rickenbacker Fireglo 330 for Xmas and I'm dying to use it somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,610 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Sure the UK were always known for taking good care of relics they've stolen from other countries they colonised Jaco :D

That's great to hear that you've gotten sorted though.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

That's how I live these days anyway. :D Can't wait for music venues to open up again....if they do. My wife bought me a Rickenbacker Fireglo 330 for Xmas and I'm dying to use it somewhere.

Stop rubbing your vaccines and new guitars in my face jaco!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Delighted for you Jaco......and jealous.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Happy for you Jaco. Must be great to be protected. Although, in fairness, if the Spanish Flu didn't get you Covid wouldn't have had much chance...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I'm getting the AZ vaccine on Thursday. Genuinely couldn't care if it came in a bucket and I had to drink it like a suck calf.

• Advertisement

Zzippy wrote: »
    Happy for you Jaco. Must be great to be protected. Although, in fairness, if the Spanish Flu didn't get you Covid wouldn't have had much chance...

:D:D:D:D

Actually as a 7 or 8 year old in the 1950s I contracted 'Asian Flu; and was dreadfully ill and actually at Death's door for days. That pandemic killed millions world wide. The only treatment available then was aspirin and.....this almost makes me vomit 64 years later....egg white mixed up in water. I can still remember the first food I ate in two weeks.......a bowl of soup...it tasted like heaven.....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,658 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Did anyone see Claire Byrne last night?

Eddie O'Sullivan branching out into non-rugby areas with, ummm, mixed results.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I don’t understand why, is he hoping to get into politics or some shock jock style role?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

Watched a bit of it....from what I saw, he was right and Bríd Smith came across as a bit of self righteous buffoon

• Administrators Posts: 53,505 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

How'd you get on with the vaccine jaco?

Both my da and a mate got it and both of them said they were in bits the next day, spent most of it in bed, but then it quickly passed and they were fine the day after.

awec wrote: »
    How'd you get on with the vaccine jaco?

Both my da and a mate got it and both of them said they were in bits the next day, spent most of it in bed, but then it quickly passed and they were fine the day after.
    I had no problems at all, in fact both times I had to ask the nurse if she had actually done it. No side effects whatsoever. However a friend had to spend two days in bed he was so afwcted but then he was fine. Many more people are affected by the 'flu vaccine by annoying side effects as it uses eggs as a growth medium. Last year my wife's left arm became the size of Andrew Porter's leg after her shot...:D Still it meant she could shift 6" concrete blocks with one hand for a few days.....;);):D:D:D

• Administrators Posts: 53,505 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I had no problems at all, in fact both times I had to ask the nurse if she had actually done it. No side effects whatsoever. However a friend had to spend two days in bed he was so afwcted but then he was fine. Many more people are affected by the 'flu vaccine by annoying side effects as it uses eggs as a growth medium. Last year my wife's left arm became the size of Andrew Porter's leg after her shot...:D Still it meant she could shift 6" concrete blocks with one hand for a few days.....;);):D:D:D

Yea I get the flu vaccine every year cause I have asthma and the worst I ever get is the dead arm feeling for a day or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Can you give us some more details?

It’s good to know it’s almost entirely occurring in under 50s

If we organise it right, by the time we are vaccinating under 50s we should have capacity from other vaccines to keep things moving and get us out of this thing.

When over-60s are vaccinated, the vaccine can hopefully be specifically retargeted at the 50-60 age group as well without huge risk.

• Advertisement

Looks like the US is set to ban J&J vaccine over blood clot risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

The wording there is a bit strong. They're recommending a pause in the use of it until they undertake a review.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,209 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Its not going to be banned

• Registered Users Posts: 4,212 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

My view since COVID has been pretty much listen to NPHET and similar agencies in other countries but this **** is crazy. Vaccine distribution being halted in Ireland/America because of literally one in a million risks (6 cases from 7 million in America and chair of NIAC said one in a million risk this morning) is going to have a terrible impact. Not just in slowing it down but lot of people don’t distinguish between different vaccine, this will increase any unease they had initially and result in some not getting vaccinated most likely.

Lunacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭thegreycity

The vaccine is still voluntary. Let people decide for themselves if they want to take the risk.

ClanofLams wrote: »
    My view since COVID has been pretty much listen to NPHET and similar agencies in other countries but this **** is crazy. Vaccine distribution being halted in Ireland/America because of literally one in a million risks (6 cases from 7 million in America and chair of NIAC said one in a million risk this morning) is going to have a terrible impact. Not just in slowing it down but lot of people don’t distinguish between different vaccine, this will increase any unease they had initially and result in some not getting vaccinated most likely.

Lunacy.

It’s not being halted.

Surely what they’re doing is obviously the intelligent thing to do? You have multiple vaccines, you have millions of people to vaccinate, you have some vaccines that are potentially fatal in some specific identifiable groups of people. Why would you not reorganise your plan to give people the vaccines that are safest for them?

If supply had outstripped demand then maybe it would make sense to keep pushing ahead (unless you’re America and worried about vaccine hesitancy I guess). But pausing and rescheduling and catching is not ultimately going to slow us down in any meaningful way.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭thegreycity

It’s not being halted.

Surely what they’re doing is obviously the intelligent thing to do? You have multiple vaccines, you have millions of people to vaccinate, you have some vaccines that are potentially fatal in some specific identifiable groups of people. Why would you not reorganise your plan to give people the vaccines that are safest for them?

If supply had outstripped demand then maybe it would make sense to keep pushing ahead (unless you’re America and worried about vaccine hesitancy I guess). But pausing and rescheduling and catching is not ultimately going to slow us down in any meaningful way.

Covid killed 476 people in the US yesterday.

Covid killed 476 people in the US yesterday.

And as they continue to vaccinate people faster than anyone else that number should keep coming down?

ClanofLams wrote: »

Lunacy.

Control for age, control for risk profile, 1/million is a useless metric as you're not spotting the huge increase in prevalence for a specific cohort as you're bucketing them all together.

Simple thought experiment, if a specific vaccine was twice as dangerous to receive than covid was to get for U30s alone (as in 2x the people die from the vaccine than would have from covid) - what would that look like as the metric you've chosen above? Now consider the trolley problem (philosophy) and the issue of acts of omission / acts of commission. Would a government be acting diligently in rolling said vaccines out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,212 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

It’s not being halted.

15,000 appointments were cancelled yesterday due to AstraZeneca, this is absolutely slowing down process. For a one in a million risk per NIAC. Vaccine hesitancy isn’t an issue just in America, confidence across Europe in vaccines has already dropped per polling.

Complete madness for such a low level of risk. Government have given far too much power to NPHET, need to include other expertise - what’s the economic impact, what’s the impact on confidence in vaccines, etc.

If COVID is such an incredibly serious disease that it justifies shutting down economy, shutting down schools, life essentially (which I absolutely agree with) then vaccines shouldn’t be paused/stopped due to an such an infinitesimal level of risk.

Advertisement