Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid19 Part XIX-25,802 in ROI (1,753 deaths) 5,859 in NI (556 deaths) (21/07)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Thought he was recovering, WTF. I know he lost a leg, but I thought that was the sacrifice of living

Literally from the start it was shocking. Originally misdiagnosed with pneumonia his condition worsened. After the amputation he got septicaemia and lung failure. He needed a double lung transplant and medical induced coma was the last medical treatment. So sad. I'm shocked to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,340 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Here is what was reported about his lungs before he died. (It's not from this article linked in this post btw).

https://comicbook.com/irl/news/nick-cordero-broadway-actor-dead-41-covid-19/

"However, we did learn that due to COVID Nick's lungs are severely damaged," she said. "To look almost like he's been a smoker for 50 years they said. They are that damaged."

That's grim. RIP Nick Codero. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,184 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

A bit Lord Farquaad. Reopening is risky. Reopening while finding loopholes to get as many people ringing the tills while claiming "all necessary precautions are taken" is more risky.

If I were a nurse or doctor who went through hell treating patients I'd be extremely concerned now.

518904.jpg

This . + 100

50 a day ..350 cases a week ,that is too much !
    Quite quickly , that will start to put pressure on the health system ,which has just started opening up, trying to catch up on normal waiting lists and treatment .
    Also transmission is low in this country, but not non existent , and not because we don't have the virus , but because we have simply reduced the spread.
    Where it is given an opportunity, it will spread as rapidly as before , unless it is stopped with restrictions.

No , let's keep cases down low please . Under 30 , and if more and rising , local restrictions reintroduced .

Problem with isolating Dublin is , with the amount of people living and working there , shutting down the city will not just curtail this group who are congregating at the city pubs , and at house parties , but the many more thousands of responsible people who have been sticking to the rules, workers and businesses that are all necessary to get the country going again .
    Not saying it shouldn't happen if needs be .
    But realistically, this activity with the pubs may result in clusters all over the place because of the group mix involved .

Pubs should stop serving takeaway as they have got their wish to open earlier , if they want to open on July 20 th . and show they can stick to the rules .
    Also the Vintners Ass. should be told that by government , they are risking their own livelihoods at this stage .
    Maybe 3 strikes and you're out for individual pubs , with no PUP or Covid bailout loans for offenders .

No crowds allowed congregate outside . Queues for pub/ restaurants outside at regular 2m distance as per everywhere else .

New emergency legislation allowing guards to police this better. No drinking in public while there is a public health risk . People need to be told that they need to keep their wits about them , to distance and stay safe , as that message has obviously not gotten through to certain people . And to enforce pub closures etc .
    Need a stronger police service to deal with axxxxxxs putting everyone else at risk .

And nobody allowed to skip quarantine , llcation app as in South Korea down loaded on phone and checked daily, at least , unless they are from a green list country .
    And no tourists allowed fullstop from US , England , Brazil ..until their numbers are under control .

And last but not least , our new Taoiseach needs to get off his butt and face the issues head on and show a bit of leadership .
    Where has he been for the last week?
    Sure he can't even make a decision about his bloody ministers !
    How can we expect any control in this pandemic with a leader who can't deal with sacking a prevaricating, drink-driving new minister .
    And tackling that other guy that skipped quarantine ? But it was to vote for himself as Taoiseach , so that's ok ?

We will be in for a rough time if he doesn't get a grip on things fairly fast , and after all the sacrifices every man, women and child have made here in the last few months , it is a shame to let it be pissed away by a selfish entitled minority .
    I am normally not that bothered about what other people get up to , and have been there myself , but not when there is a risk to health and life of so many people .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,770 ✭✭✭Polar101

So, nothing is going to change regarding travel until July 20th, as was expected.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0706/1151556-politics/

I'm not a huge fan of the approach - the current "quarantine" for people arriving into the country is half-hearted, and not saying where people can travel later can cause financial problems for people who have already booked something. Would be better to have something more definite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

They really need to design an experiment to conclusively prove this to put to bed.

I think the ramifications are such that WHO can’t come out and say if for fear of being accused of stoking fear / impacting the economy. Might go some way in explaining what happened with health care workers here.

I personally think there was enough evidence to draw this conclusion months ago. Lots of evidence of SARS being this way and papers to show it. South Korean call centre was another one. Statistically those people weren’t going around coughing in each other’s faces.

https://twitter.com/drericding/status/1279749506037317634?s=21

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

MLS Football tournament seems to be an absolute mess. Nashville had no positives before arriving in Orlando , now they have at least 5

https://twitter.com/osiliana/status/1279981804489977862

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Eod100 wrote: »
    It's strange. Heard him being asked about measures being eased a few weeks back on radio and was very confident it was right idea. Then few days later signed a letter saying it was too fast. Seems to veer from optimistic to cautious very frequently. I can't see it happening either tbh
    There is a whole cabal of them, utterly unused to media attention and full of opinions to share. Heard of two others, previously unknown to me, since the drama in Dublin, who've been elevated to expert. I don't entirely blame them but they are getting caught in the media's need to find yet another angle to the COVID story. They should been paying more attention to the media performance of the main NPHET spokespeople in how to formulate messages.

They really need to design an experiment to conclusively prove this to put to bed.

I think the ramifications are such that WHO can’t come out and say if for fear of being accused of stoking fear / impacting the economy. Might go some way in explaining what happened with health care workers here.

I personally think there was enough evidence to draw this conclusion months ago. Lots of evidence of SARS being this way and papers to show it. South Korean call centre was another one. Statistically those people weren’t going around coughing in each other’s faces.

https://twitter.com/drericding/status/1279749506037317634?s=21
    There has been a lot of letter writing in this, remember our 1000 signatories about the speed of reopening. They can give a sense of many like minds who want to be right but not much evidence that they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

12426290-16x9-xlarge.jpg?v=2

They are not messing about in Australia -

A hard border closure between Victoria and New South Wales from tomorrow night for probably a month. They are extremely worried about the trajectory of a surge in community spread cases in Melbourne.

This follows the strict lockdown of 9 Ballymun style public housing tower blocks, where people are not allowed to leave their flats. It impacts 3,000 residents and is being enforced by 500 police officers each shift — roughly one officer for every six residents. Over 50 cases of Covid have been detected in the tower blocks so far.

The worry is that high-density towers can be like 'vertical cruise ships'.

Officials will now strictly monitor 55 ground crossings between the two states — including four major highways, 33 bridges, two waterways with police and health officials on standby to question travellers returning via air or rail.

Only permit holders, emergency services workers, freight drivers and returning travellers will be able to cross into New South Wales from Victoria.

NSW Police Commissioner Mick Fuller said people caught lying on a permit application would be fined.

The penalties for COVID-19 infringements are a $11,000 fine and six months in jail.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

lk070220dapr_0.jpg?itok=ry5pBsjQ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,495 ✭✭✭bb1234567

https://www.timesofisrael.com/weve-lost-control-of-pandemic-top-adviser-says-as-active-cases-spike/

Israel may be the first country in the world to impose a second national lockdown , seems insane I can't believe any country would willingly destroy its economy with a second lockdown

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

bb1234567 wrote: »
    https://www.timesofisrael.com/weve-lost-control-of-pandemic-top-adviser-says-as-active-cases-spike/

Israel may be the first country in the world to impose a second national lockdown , seems insane I can't believe any country would willingly destroy its economy with a second lockdown

Very interesting article. That's mad that cases jumped from 180 to 780 on Saturday. They can't contain locally either. Great the way they balance activities with low economic cost vs public health. Not saying things in black and white terms but grey. A balance has to be found.
    “Since we’ve lost control of the pandemic, we can’t stop it except through social distancing. We need immediate social distancing orders geared toward minimizing the major risks, but with actions whose economic cost isn’t high. In other words, to prevent all gatherings of over 20 people, and all social and leisure activities. In the summer school period we can shut down all older grades, say from 4th grade, and keep the younger grades going, because they affect the parents’ ability to work and [shuttering them] carries a high economic cost.”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

bb1234567 wrote: »

Looking at the charts I can't see any alternative: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/israel/

Note: Without lockdown their economy gets destroyed anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭celt262

schmoo2k wrote: »
    Looking at the charts I can't see any alternative: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/israel/

Note: Without lockdown their economy gets destroyed anyway...

There will be plenty more lockdowns before this is over including here. It will be a long winter sitting at home for a lot of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,108 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Very interesting article. That's mad that cases jumped from 180 to 780 on Saturday. They can't contain locally either. Great the way they balance activities with low economic cost vs public health. Not saying things in black and white terms but grey. A balance has to be found.

Professor Devi Sridhar in Scotland is strongly against the idea of governments switching on and off lockdowns. She thinks it's like a fire brigade chasing around the place desperately trying to put out new outbreaks.

She reckons mass testing and contact tracing, coupled with social distancing and face masks is the way to go.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/jun/22/pandemic-zero-coronavirus-britain

• Registered Users Posts: 5,763 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

fritzelly wrote: »
    It's Fox news - not known for their integrity as a news site.

Some would say the same about CNN :)

Hundreds of scientists have now submitted new evidence to the WHO, via an open letter to the UN Agency, which states that Covid-19 is airborne from people when they release small or large droplets by sneezing, coughing or speaking to other people who currently don't have any symptoms.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/scientists-who-coronavirus-airborne-1.5638444

The scientists, in this case, have now asked the WHO to revise it's official public health advice to say that, from their newly supplied evidence, Coronavirus is airborne from people who have the virus & spread it to other people who are known as healthy individuals.

For balance - in relation to their claim, and I do not know who is right (and neither do they probably :) ), "Paul Hunter, a professor in medicine at the University of East Anglia and a member of the WHO’s infection prevention committee, said the WHO had struck the right balance in its advice.

“Aerosol transmission can occur but it probably isn’t that important in the grand scheme of things. It’s all about droplets,” he said. “Controlling airborne transmission isn’t going to do that much to control the spread of Covid-19."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    How is this new information though? Droplet transmission has been known about for months

Droplets are from coughs and sneezes, they are bigger and heavier than aerosols. I think these droplets fall to the ground quite quickly unless you cough into someone's face.

Aerosols are from breathing and talking and can linger in the air and can infect others long after you're gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

celt262 wrote: »
    There will be plenty more lockdowns before this is over including here. It will be a long winter sitting at home for a lot of us.

At least we have the summer...,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Jackman25

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Name the bar. I'll get on it with the Guards tomorrow and I'll be persistent with it

Just like the airport thread, too many are complaining about the situation and not enough are actually doing anything

I'm sure the guards will take it very seriously. "Friends of an anonymous user on a forum were in a bar .......".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭snotboogie

There are plague breakouts all of the time, its well understood and treatments are widely available. The reason so many didn't take Covid seriously is because of the media pushing sensationalist headlines like this for decades.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

Droplets are from coughs and sneezes, they are bigger and heavier than aerosols. I think these droplets fall to the ground quite quickly unless you cough into someone's face.

Aerosols are from breathing and talking and can linger in the air and can infect others long after you're gone.

Yes thats it. As someone said already just do the research and see if there is merit in claims of airborne transmission. It is only fair.

Also as an aside for any interested Robert Edgar Hope Simpsoms work on Influenza and other viruses might interest some.
    Sun and solar radiation and effect on bodies synthesis of vit D fall into play. Not saying is true before people fall upon me with fangs flashing. Just a possibility
    Upshot is no harm to supplement with 2000 IU daily. I take it.
    Was chatting with someone in Germany last week who said their GP is prescribing much higher doses but anyway, worth thinking about maybe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

A bunch of pissheads on RTE radio from the weekend in pubs (Cork) - "fake news" "no such thing as Covid" "hick"

So when they were lingering in the supermarkets how come so few got infected would be my question? Seems like even if they are lingering there, they aren't in sufficient quantities to infect most people.

That crops up every now and then, even in the US with around 20 cases a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

But it's the fact the IT made a whole article based on negative quotes from him, which arent based on facts, for example, where was the spike after the June Bank Holiday with thousands of people out meeting and congregating. It's as if the IT wanted to keep up a negative narrative about covid, which is absurd as we are in an excellent position in Ireland in terms of community transmission, hospital capacity etc.

Another day, another quack with an article on the home page of the IT.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/ireland-could-eliminate-covid-19-within-months-with-tighter-restrictions-1.4296921

Gerry "Crush the Curve" Killeen this time. Even though he acknowledges that it involves restricting people travelling from abroad and introducing a strict isolation regime, the IT still publish an article about his opinion as if it actually may work. He references far-off lands which we could emulate like Australia, China, NZ, Japan and Korea; obviously totally oblivious to the fact we share a land border with the UK which we won't be able to close and, as well, we are part of Europe, not Asia and Australia!

The article also includes a comment about the economic impact of the virus and his view is that it would be more costly to ride the waves of repeated spikes in infections. I'm sorry, but that is completely out of his area of expertise; I can imagine the scrambling to churn out panic articles if David McWilliams wrote of the economic cost of dealing with the pandemic but threw in an opinion that in his view the working population being pretty much fine if they got the virus means the economic arguments should start holding more weight.

The crush the curvers are, for me, like flat earthers - so dogmatic and ignorant.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

So when they were lingering in the supermarkets how come so few got infected would be my question? Seems like even if they are lingering there, they aren't in sufficient quantities to infect most people.

How can you say where people picked up their infections? There was so much that were never tested because they never fitted the criteria in the early days.

About 300 cases a year and antibiotics take care of it. Complete non-story but good to terrify people just a bit more.

• Advertisement

A bunch of pissheads on RTE radio from the weekend in pubs (Cork) - "fake news" "no such thing as Covid" "hick"

Some serious alcoholism there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement