Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid19 Part XIX-25,802 in ROI (1,753 deaths) 5,859 in NI (556 deaths) (21/07)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,208 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Stheno wrote: »
    Are open pubs allowed have live music?

Yeah they can if they want

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

With the time limit (which I say well be the same for pubs) is there a point it is normally why would they bother. I go to pubs is to see music so would like it to happen though

Do you think the 105mins will apply to the ordinary pub come the 20th? I can’t see that happening. I’ve seen sweet FA about how they’ll reopen yet.. going by my own town, realistically only 1 pub will be able to open fully with the 1 metre rule and make a few bob. The other 10 will struggle. All tidy places no function/restaurant rooms to speak of.
    Plus I can’t see the barman who’s usually the owner kicking his/her main customer out after 105 mins.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

With the time limit (which I say well be the same for pubs) is there a point it is normally why would they bother. I go to pubs is to see music so would like it to happen though

One of the places near me has had live music the past three nights,it markets itself as a music venue

I looked it up and music performances are part of phase three subject to distancing and a risk assessment

• Registered Users Posts: 15,208 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Eod100 wrote: »
    This would seem to rule out travel to most places for a long time if it was followed. I guess maybe he's saying the ideal thing for public health, government likely will have to balance it. https://twitter.com/SaturdayRTE/status/1279850604400164864?s=19

stopped listening to his interviews a while ago, he changes his opinion as much as the weather changes. Only recently he said your chances of getting it in Ireland were one in a million, then the other day says its not under control here.

Next week he'll have another opinion to counteract last weeks.

What he suggested in that interview simply won't happen

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

stopped listening to his interviews a while ago, he changes his opinion as much as the weather changes. Only recently he said your chances of getting it in Ireland were one in a million, then the other day says its not under control here.

He was telling us all to go shopping a couple of weeks ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,696 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

It's strange. Heard him being asked about measures being eased a few weeks back on radio and was very confident it was right idea. Then few days later signed a letter saying it was too fast. Seems to veer from optimistic to cautious very frequently. I can't see it happening either tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Polar101

Passed by my local pub - suburban Dublin - for the first time since they opened (they are only open 4 days a week) - I was expecting to see a huge drunk crowd outside. Instead, there were 2 people in the smoking area and a sign outside saying "Please queue here". Looked to be fairly busy inside, with tables set apart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

"Publicans condemn images of street drinking in Dublin"

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0705/1151476-covid-19-dublin/
    A body representing publicans has strongly criticised images that have emerged on social media of people drinking on the streets of Dublin city centre last night.

The Licensed Vintners Association (LVA) said it "utterly condemns" the scenes, saying it is in no way acceptable and "completely jeopardises" public health.

It also said it fully supports measures being taken by gardaí to manage these issues.

In a statement, the LVA said while it believes most pubs and customers are following reopening guidelines, there have been similar scenes in Dublin city centre over the last few weekends.

It reminded pubs who are serving takeaway drinks of their responsibilities.
    It said that garda advice is that takeaway drinks must be consumed more than 100 metres from the pub where it was sold and that gardaí have the power to confiscate alcohol being consumed on the road or in a public place.
    The LVA also criticised the fact that people are drinking alcohol from off-licences on the streets of the capital, saying it presents "a terrible image of our city centre" and that it is "potentially extremely damaging to public health".

It also said it has a negative impact on the efforts being made by responsible businesses that are beginning the process of recovery.
    Licensed premises reopened last Monday under Phase 3 of the roadmap to kickstart the economy.

At present, pubs are only allowed serve alcohol to customers who purchase a "substantial" meal costing at least €9.
    Pubs who do not operate this restaurant-style service must remain closed until Phase 4 of the roadmap begins on 20 July.
    Customers should only be on the premises for 105 minutes.

Health worker Laura Durcan, who lives in Dublin city centre, shared her thoughts of last night's images.
    She tweeted: "Town is horrendous tonight. Drunken crowds everywhere. No distancing.
    "I am not the fun police, but I am really really worried about two weeks' time."

Former minister for health Simon Harris said: "C'mon everyone. We've come too far to go back.
    "Great to see our economy reopened & social life resuming but let's keep using our cop on and common sense.
    "We owe it to each other, to those families who have lost loved ones, to the local business we want to keep open and to our kids."

• Registered Users Posts: 39,747 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Pubs will be the first to close back down.

It's inevitable.

Santy2015 wrote: »
    Do you think the 105mins will apply to the ordinary pub come the 20th? I can’t see that happening. I’ve seen sweet FA about how they’ll reopen yet.. going by my own town, realistically only 1 pub will be able to open fully with the 1 metre rule and make a few bob. The other 10 will struggle. All tidy places no function/restaurant rooms to speak of.
    Plus I can’t see the barman who’s usually the owner kicking his/her main customer out after 105 mins.

I don't think guidelines are out for wet pubs after the 20th. Guess if they're not out next week, will have to be week after.

Was wondering will people still have to pre-book and have time limit but can't see guidelines changing hugely, whether pubs can or will be able to enforce is another question.

I guess not having to order food anymore means there's more drinking time but more drinking probably means it's harder to shift people after the time. Especially if they don't have a booking, how are they meant to keep track?

• Advertisement

I don't think guidelines are out for wet pubs after the 20th. Guess if they're not out next week, will have to be week after.

Was wondering will people still have to pre-book and have time limit but can't see guidelines changing hugely, whether pubs can or will be able to enforce is another question.

I guess not having to order food anymore means there's more drinking time but more drinking probably means it's harder to shift people after the time. Especially if they don't have a booking, how are they meant to keep track?

Personally I think they can’t shift people out especially in rural towns. City’s you might have a chance.
    I’d have no problem giving my details to my local and hopefully anyway as well the Covid app will be out. I’m certainly downloading it as I work in retail

• Registered Users Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    "Publicans condemn images of street drinking in Dublin"

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0705/1151476-covid-19-dublin/

Well they could hardly condone it, they are going to be under big pressure from all the bars that are due to open on the 20th not to **** it up. I don't think the bars will have to close again except in areas where there has to be a lockdown again. People will gradually begin to accept it again.

Personally I think they can’t shift people out especially in rural towns. City’s you might have a chance.
    I’d have no problem giving my details to my local and hopefully anyway as well the Covid app will be out. I’m certainly downloading it as I work in retail

Yeah there will likely be what should be happening in theory and what happens in practice. And rural areas might not have a Garda station anywhere near them either so chance of being inspected low.

Yeah would be great if app is out by 20th.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,831 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Boggles wrote: »
    Pubs will be the first to close back down.

It's inevitable.

Should give them permission to open fully with no restrictions, just limit the age to 18-35.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Isn't the time limit due to the 1M rule no. I could be wrong about the limit but I was guessing it was

• Registered Users Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Stheno wrote: »
    One of the places near me has had live music the past three nights,it markets itself as a music venue

I looked it up and music performances are part of phase three subject to distancing and a risk assessment

Did not know that thanks for letting me know

Yeah there will likely be what should be happening in theory and what happens in practice. And rural areas might not have a Garda station anywhere near them either so chance of being inspected low.

Yeah would be great if app is out by 20th.

There’s a good ole Garda presence in my town so they’ll be more visible then other places

Well they could hardly condone it, they are going to be under big pressure from all the bars that are due to open on the 20th not to **** it up. I don't think the bars will have to close again except in areas where there has to be a lockdown again. People will gradually begin to accept it again.

Restaurant association fairly critical too.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/close-businesses-selling-alcohol-to-on-street-drinkers-restaurant-group-says-1.4296636

• Registered Users Posts: 39,747 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Should give them permission to open fully with no restrictions, just limit the age to 18-35.

Yeah, didn't Fauci say the other day 18-35 year olds can't spread the virus to anyone else outside of a pub location.

#science

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Polar101

Renjit wrote: »
    Bald and bankrupt's update

Makes me question why Serbia is on the green travel list, at least.

• Advertisement

Isn't the time limit due to the 1M rule no. I could be wrong about the limit but I was guessing it was

I think so, is it that people who prebook can be 1m as pub would have their details if contact traced?

I think walk-ups then need to be 2m if details not taken. But guess if they are could be 1m?

I dunno if that's 100% though, guidelines seem so up in the air about pubs tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 16,113 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Good idea . And let them spread it all over the country again .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/coronavirus-no-further-deaths-reported-as-doctor-warns-second-wave-weeks-away-1.4296767?mode=amp

Christ almighty, why are these moaners given such airtime? An article based on a doctor's own opinion of people enjoying a night out last night being likely to result in a second wave of covid. He even says he had anxiety induced from what he saw, perhaps the doctor should see a doctor. Such nonsense which just makes the impressionable reader base unnecessarily fearful.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,534 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

This has to be a wind up. Nobody could be that naïve. How do these under 35s prevent spreading a virus?

Edit: You know, don't bother with answering.

I think this misses the point that this is a highly infectious disease. It wouldn't be limited to those people, they will be interacting with people naturally after that, getting public transport or renting shared bike to work, mixing with people in work, going to supermarket, going to other pubs, restaurants, cafes, etc visiting friends, family. Any of the could have underlying conditions or have relatives who have underlying conditions.

Yes the virus is low but there have been months of restrictions which are gradually being eased. This phase and next will be the times when people most mix since before restrictions in March so need to still be cautious.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/coronavirus-no-further-deaths-reported-as-doctor-warns-second-wave-weeks-away-1.4296767?mode=amp

Christ almighty, why are these moaners given such airtime? An article based on a doctor's own opinion of people enjoying a night out last night being likely to result in a second wave of covid. He even says he had anxiety induced from what he saw, perhaps the doctor should see a doctor. Such nonsense which just makes the impressionable reader base unnecessarily fearful.

To be fair he's one person giving his personal opinion. He's just come off months of probably one of the most difficult periods in his career. Can understand why he would see it as a fairly jarring sight to come across.

I don't necessarily agree that there will be a second wave but can see his pov.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,639 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

The article also states that "one infected person" was let out of hospital. As if they're letting COVID zombies roam the streets.

The article also states that "one infected person" was let out of hospital. As if they're letting COVID zombies roam the streets.

Yeah guess that really should have been previously infected. Could definitely have been worded better!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

To be fair he's one person giving his personal opinion. He's just come off months of probably one of the most difficult periods in his career. Can understand why he would see it as a fairly jarring sight to come across.

I don't necessarily agree that there will be a second wave but can see his pov.

But it's the fact the IT made a whole article based on negative quotes from him, which arent based on facts, for example, where was the spike after the June Bank Holiday with thousands of people out meeting and congregating. It's as if the IT wanted to keep up a negative narrative about covid, which is absurd as we are in an excellent position in Ireland in terms of community transmission, hospital capacity etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,831 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    This has to be a wind up. Nobody could be that naïve. How do these under 35s prevent spreading a virus?

Edit: You know, don't bother with answering.

It would have to be combined with older people continuing to isolate.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement