Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid19 Part XIX-25,802 in ROI (1,753 deaths) 5,859 in NI (556 deaths) (21/07)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,747 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    It does in it's balls

If it did the airports would be closed to Americans

Public sentiment closed the schools/collages and to the most part pubs.
    I'm still waiting for the pics of full planes landing in Ireland from America.
    In this day and age with smart phones and social media, the photo's prove elusive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

fritzelly wrote: »
    It is not the same vaccine and the MERS vaccine never existed - the virus died out before anything was ever done with it ergo no money to be made in even progressing it any further
    The only similarity is the method for creating the vaccine based on the MERS research

From what I read about mers, the virus didn't die out. It's still in circulation but it's not as widespread because it's more lethal. From what I read about the London vaccine, it was already in trails in the middle east for MERS. When covid19 came all they had to do was tweak it to covid19. That's my understanding of what I read about it and I'm open to correction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Nothing to do with being banned - he is anti bar/alcohol, scenes like that just feed in to his rhetoric

I don't care. You mocked him openly on the forum. The poster is banned. That should be the end of it if you don't like his posts but between yourself and a few more, you kept dragging up his name and mocking him.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,334 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

owlbethere wrote: »
    From what I read about mers, the virus didn't die out. It's still in circulation but it's not as widespread because it's more lethal. From what I read about the London vaccine, it was already in trails in the middle east for MERS. When covid19 came all they had to do was tweak it to covid19. That's my understanding of what I read about it and I'm open to correction.

Still in circulation but very rare - it's too lethal to get a foothold and spread
    The methods they were using to create the vaccine have been used to create the covid vaccine hence the rapid turnaround for the vaccine
    So as I said the methodology they invented to create the MERS vaccine (even tho it never got very far) are the same but the vaccine itself is not the same even tho its targetting the same viral family.

Lessons to be learned from the mistakes and successes in Australia. All states have mandatory quarantine for international travellers. They are tested before release. Turns out test refusal rates were higher in Victoria for some reason and that there was no legislation to force testing or extend quarantine or deny entry like in other states.when that hit the news suddenly plans were diverted to Adelaide. Anyway on top of that the other states used police and army personnel to man the quarantine...whereas Victoria used low wage security who let the people in quarantine mingle, played cards with them themselves and some were even riding.

So fast forward to the security guards going home infected and it spread relatively quickly through Melbourne with multiple suburbs locked down and more added to the list overnight something like 36 suburbs.

https://www.perthnow.com.au/lifestyle/fitness/security-guard-breaks-gag-order-reveals-major-breaches-inside-melbournes-quarantine-hotels-ng-316b19f1a347e84822ef2e4cd6ab0214.amp

Other Australian states are basically back to normal except international travel is not allowed and looking like it won't be allowed until 2021. Each state handled things differently but all closed their internal borders except Victoria and new South Wales which are the states still reporting numbers. Small numbers until the Melbourne outbreak.

States like Queensland and south and western Australia were put under pressure to open to other states, i.e Victoria and new South Wales, by federal government but held tight. They waited until they had 2-4 weeks of no community transmission before reopening. Victoria and new South Wales partially opened before waiting.

Eradication is possible,but you have to stop travel and reopening can't happen until you have a few weeks without community transmission. Ireland is in an unfortunate position for eradication because of the UK. In an ideal situation travel would have halted and Ireland would wait and open to only countries free of community transmission.

Seems like a few more weeks of lockdown across Europe might prevent start stops going on endlessly and things could go back to normality within Europe?

Why not if it's possible elsewhere? Oh and Australia learned the hard way but reacted quickly when self isolation was the rule for travellers... it's quickly changed to enforced quarantine. Also only Australians are allowed fly into Australia at the moment.

One to watch will be Adelaide next month they are flying in 800 international students in a trial. https://www.macrobusiness.com.au/2020/07/adelaide-breaks-quarantine-as-800-infected-students-pour-in/

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-07-02/victoria-hotel-quarantine-breaches-inquiry-launched/12414612
    "Genomic testing has linked many of the state's recent infections back to private contractors working at two quarantine hotels.

Reports have also emerged of contractors having sexual relations with guests and families being allowed to go between rooms."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Exactly this, sure the first night the Italians opened the bars there were pictures and videos from Milan amongst other places of outdoor terraces packed. No visible consequence weeks later.

From 20th July outdoor gatherings of 500 are allowed so people will have to get used to see large enough gatherings.

There's going to be spikes, to suggest we can keep cases as low as they've been is fanciful. For me anything under 50 a day is acceptable so long as these aren't all translating to hosptial admissions

A bit Lord Farquaad. Reopening is risky. Reopening while finding loopholes to get as many people ringing the tills while claiming "all necessary precautions are taken" is more risky.

If I were a nurse or doctor who went through hell treating patients I'd be extremely concerned now.

518904.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Lessons to be learned from the mistakes and successes in Australia. All states have mandatory quarantine for international travellers. They are tested before release. Turns out test refusal rates were higher in Victoria for some reason and that there was no legislation to force testing or extend quarantine or deny entry like in other states.when that hit the news suddenly plans were diverted to Adelaide. Anyway on top of that the other states used police and army personnel to man the quarantine...whereas Victoria used low wage security who let the people in quarantine mingle, played cards with them themselves and some were even riding.

So fast forward to the security guards going home infected and it spread relatively quickly through Melbourne with multiple suburbs locked down and more added to the list overnight something like 36 suburbs.

https://www.perthnow.com.au/lifestyle/fitness/security-guard-breaks-gag-order-reveals-major-breaches-inside-melbournes-quarantine-hotels-ng-316b19f1a347e84822ef2e4cd6ab0214.amp

Other Australian states are basically back to normal except international travel is not allowed and looking like it won't be allowed until 2021. Each state handled things differently but all closed their internal borders except Victoria and new South Wales which are the states still reporting numbers. Small numbers until the Melbourne outbreak.

States like Queensland and south and western Australia were put under pressure to open to other states, i.e Victoria and new South Wales, by federal government but held tight. They waited until they had 2-4 weeks of no community transmission before reopening. Victoria and new South Wales partially opened before waiting.

Eradication is possible,but you have to stop travel and reopening can't happen until you have a few weeks without community transmission. Ireland is in an unfortunate position for eradication because of the UK. In an ideal situation travel would have halted and Ireland would wait and open to only countries free of community transmission.

Seems like a few more weeks of lockdown across Europe might prevent start stops going on endlessly and things could go back to normality within Europe?

Why not if it's possible elsewhere? Oh and Australia learned the hard way but reacted quickly when self isolation was the rule for travellers... it's quickly changed to enforced quarantine. Also only Australians are allowed fly into Australia at the moment.

One to watch will be Adelaide next month they are flying in 800 international students in a trial. https://www.macrobusiness.com.au/2020/07/adelaide-breaks-quarantine-as-800-infected-students-pour-in/

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-07-02/victoria-hotel-quarantine-breaches-inquiry-launched/12414612
    "Genomic testing has linked many of the state's recent infections back to private contractors working at two quarantine hotels.

Reports have also emerged of contractors having sexual relations with guests and families being allowed to go between rooms."

NSW are going limit international arrivals to 450 per day as they are running out of hotels rooms since most travelers are avoiding QLD since they now charge, currently 5 new cases in last 24 hrs and all returned travelers and nothing in the community.

The airport is the definitely the chink in Armour if not properly handled, Victoria typical leftards chose to go civilian security rather than the military as they thought it 'too confrontational'. But I think they will get a handle of it and it will be contained soon enough and they learn their lesson.

Its very concerning that this is likely to happen in Ireland if they rely on self isolation, I fear for my parents and I think it will be a pretty bleak xmas there by the looks of it since so many people intending on travelling to virus infected shit holes like Spain etc that are going be over run with Brits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

The scenes in Dublin were not great but at least people were outside and young. My local church asked old people to only attend on Fridays. The place was wedged Friday morning. Hundreds of old people all inside with communion given out etc. That is a real worry. Vulnerable people regularly gathering in their hundreds inside in every parish in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

EcJJUQrWkAAOZmm?format=jpg&name=small

The scenes in Dublin were not great but at least people were outside and young.

Studies in China of over 300 virus clusters identified only 1 where the initial infection occurred outdoors. Even in the absence of social distancing the risk outdoors is tiny, something people should remember when giving out about a few people drinking on the streets

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Ineedaname

It is not the same vaccine and the MERS vaccine never existed - the virus died out before anything was ever done with it ergo no money to be made in even progressing it any further
    The only similarity is the method for creating the vaccine based on the MERS research

No it didn't. MERS is still active. There were over 200 cases in the middle East just last year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

But MERS is still around and it is a MERS vaccine. The vaccine is just being modified to work on covid. The safety is guaranteed they just need to prove it works and so far they're liking the immunity it gives.

It leaves test subjects with 3x the antibodies of a recovered covid patient. I wish people would stop lying or spreading false information about the vaccine because that's what you've done here.

Ineedaname wrote: »
    No it didn't. MERS is still active. There were over 200 cases in the middle East just last year

Don't even bother it's clear he just cobbled together some nonsense and is trying to put it across as fact. I swear some lads here will dress in black for a week when a vaccine is developed which is looking sooner every day. My condolences lads the new normal won't be normal for long.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

How do you expect compliance from drunk people?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Studies in China of over 300 virus clusters identified only 1 where the initial infection occurred outdoors. Even in the absence of social distancing the risk outdoors is tiny, something people should remember when giving out about a few people drinking on the streets

Outdoors is obviously a lot safer than indoors, but mask wearing in public outdoor spaces is practically universal in China.

Extrapolating that Chinese data to the situation outside pubs in Ireland is suspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,747 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

LiquidZeb wrote: »
    But MERS is still around and it is a MERS vaccine. The vaccine is just being modified to work on covid. The safety is guaranteed they just need to prove it works and so far they're liking the immunity it gives.

It leaves test subjects with 3x the antibodies of a recovered covid patient. I wish people would stop lying or spreading false information about the vaccine because that's what you've done here.

Really, how did you/they come to that conclusion?

There is no approved vaccine for MERS, AFAIK there has never been an approved RNA vaccine. there is several vaccine candidates though.

Which one are you talking about and which has "safety guaranteed"?

Boggles wrote: »
    Really, how did you/they come to that conclusion?

There is no approved vaccine for MERS, AFAIK there has never been an approved RNA vaccine. there is several vaccine candidates though.

Which one are you talking about and which has "safety guaranteed"?

Well considering only 200 people per year get MERS it's kind of obvious why they've postponed work on that vaccine. If you want to know more do your own research im not getting dragged into your anti vax nonsense.

Well considering only 200 people per year get MERS it's kind of obvious why they've postponed work on that vaccine. If you want to know more do your own research im not getting dragged into your anti vax nonsense.

WTF? :confused:

I asked you a simply question.

Which candidate are you talking about?

WTF? :confused:

I asked you a simply question.

Which candidate are you talking about?

The Oxford vaccine was the one that poster responded to.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,696 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Harris tweeting about scenes from last night. https://twitter.com/SimonHarrisTD/status/1279713184501424128?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Eod100 wrote: »
    Harris tweeting about scenes from last night. https://twitter.com/SimonHarrisTD/status/1279713184501424128?s=19
    It was always going to happen. We can't assume that everyone will follow guidelines any more, especially as we seem to have such low numbers. All that can be done is to repeat the pubic health guidance ad nauseum.

is_that_so wrote: »
    It was always going to happen. We can't assume that everyone will follow guidelines any more, especially as we seem to have such low numbers. All that can be done is to repeat the pubic health guidance ad nauseum.

I think it's very difficult to control crowds drinking but point is responsibility is on pubs as they're meant to be trading effectively as restaurants.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

How is the safety guaranteed? By who?
    The same people that made the vaccine?
    I’m not anti vaccine but let’s be careful making statements like safety guaranteed.

I think it's very difficult to control crowds drinking but point is responsibility is on pubs as they're meant to be trading effectively as restaurants.
    If they are doing as they should, they can't really be faulted for the personal behaviour of patrons. One can knock back a bottle of wine or a lot of beers in a restaurant, it's your choice.

tom1ie wrote: »
    How is the safety guaranteed? By who?
    The same people that made the vaccine?
    I’m not anti vaccine but let’s be careful making statements like safety guaranteed.

Right get onto the lads at the Jenner institute in Oxford and tell them what's what. I swear the arrogance of some people on here is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

Only in Ireland would we open Pubs before schools and colleges (and yes they do have modules during the summer)

The Oxford vaccine was the one that poster responded to.

There is no "safety guaranteed" with that candidate or any candidate yet.
    . I wish people would stop lying or spreading false information about the vaccine because that's what you've done here.

Indeed, I wish they would.

is_that_so wrote: »
    If they are doing as they should, they can't really be faulted for the personal behaviour of patrons. One can knock back a bottle of wine or a lot of beers in a restaurant, it's your choice.

With so many outside it seems obvious that there is an issue there. It's not about alcohol consumption, it's about crowds on top of each other. That doesn't happen in restaurants where people sit down which pubs were meant to be trading as.

Right get onto the lads at the Jenner institute in Oxford and tell them what's what. I swear the arrogance of some people on here is ridiculous.
    We only have the word of the people in Oxford and their own supreme confidence (arrogance?). We'll have to wait to see if that's how it works out, much as people want it to.

• Advertisement

There is no "safety guaranteed" with that candidate or any candidate yet.

Indeed, I wish they would.

Alright then fine don't take the vaccine. If you or someone you care about wind up strapped to a ventilator remember that. Believe all the Facebook anti vax bull**** you want then. I'll trust the experts like an intelligent person.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement