Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk X: The Long Hard Road to a Semi. MOD WARNING POSTS #1, #1474, #5707

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,248 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Get's paid £500k per year so I doubt he cares what anyone in Ireland thinks :P:P

Where are you getting that figure from??

EDIT: Think I see what happened. Your referring to Madigan? OP was referring to JJ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Erik Shun

aloooof wrote: »
    Where are you getting that figure from??

EDIT: Think I see what happened. Your referring to Madigan? OP was referring to JJ.

Some people look for offence anywhere :D:D

Erik Shun wrote: »
    Some people look for offence anywhere :D:D

Or, y'know, facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

aloooof wrote: »
    Or, y'know, facts.

Those never get in the way of people's agendas around here :pac:

Those never get in the way of people's agendas around here :pac:

Except I'd happy correct anyone who suggests JJ Hanrahan is getting paid 500k a year. You can stick to your agenda's and I'll stick to the facts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

No agenda guys....Madigan got mentioned and I took it comment was in regards to him

AS I said he is happy with the money in his pocket

• Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Get's paid £500k per year so I doubt he cares what anyone in Ireland thinks :P:P

Munster pay JJH £500,000 per year? WOW....:D

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Joe Schmidt is set to recieve an honorary doctorate from DCU at the end of the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,390 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

xNq0sPj.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,775 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Tadgh Beirne is running out of games to show that he should be selected for the World Cup squad. At the moment he looks too light weight for the second row. Ryan, Toner and Henderson are nailed on, and I imagine one of Dillane, Roux or Beirne will go as well. Right now I'd go with Dillane for his impact off the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,183 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Clegg wrote: »
    Tadgh Beirne is running out of games to show that he should be selected for the World Cup squad. At the moment he looks too light weight for the second row. Ryan, Toner and Henderson are nailed on, and I imagine one of Dillane, Roux or Beirne will go as well. Right now I'd go with Dillane for his impact off the bench.

He got the nod for the bench twice in Australia and, when fully fit, got named to start in a huge crunch match in Wales. I'd say he's still the 4th man. He's not nailed on but definitely his jersey to lose after the Welsh selection. I wouldn't imagine there's much in it though.

Clegg wrote: »

Beirne could travel because he can play multiple positions and could do a job against the poorer teams

Hopefully it might stop certain people in press/radio etc going on and on and on about selecting him for every match

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Beirne could travel because he can play multiple positions and could do a job against the poorer teams

Hopefully it might stop certain people in press/radio etc going on and on and on about selecting him for every match

I never really understand the massive clamour for any player to be selected for a team like Ireland. In most positions you have a number of excellent players who play well more often than not. One player is not going to change a whole lot. Same goes for the Zebo stuff. The team is not suddenly transformed into the All Blacks because this one guy gets picked.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

You could argue that Henderson fills the extra back row slot as well though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Buer wrote: »
    He got the nod for the bench twice in Australia and, when fully fit, got named to start in a huge crunch match in Wales. I'd say he's still the 4th man. He's not nailed on but definitely his jersey to lose after the Welsh selection. I wouldn't imagine there's much in it though.

I would beg to differ that the Wales match was huge or crunch for Ireland. Which was born out in how we played that day. Before the 6N I’d say he was in a good place, but Dillane may have done enough to overtake him. I don’t think Beirne has the physicality to be a test level lock.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

Squidge rugby's latest video is on Ireland:

https://youtu.be/Lu_TblIFRiQ

I don't know how to feel about that, he's echoing a lot of the Irish media. We're all hoping for two things:

1) Players find form
    2) Joe Schmidt is an evil genius who deliberately held everything back in a world cup year, allowing teams to deconstruct the old plan so he could do a bait and switch in October.

I think players will find form but changes need to be made as well *coughstandercough*.

Schmidt naturally would have held bits and pieces back but the way he reacted after Cardiff suggested to me that he was completely rattled. So I'm not expecting a brand new plan by the world cup, certainly not one which is already silky smooth from a year of behind closed doors refinement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

I'd be happy just to get out of the group. Scotland have more World Cup pedigree than the Irish. And Japan are well coached and at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,997 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

troyzer wrote: »
    Squidge rugby's latest video is on Ireland:

https://youtu.be/Lu_TblIFRiQ

I don't know how to feel about that, he's echoing a lot of the Irish media. We're all hoping for two things:

1) Players find form
    2) Joe Schmidt is an evil genius who deliberately held everything back in a world cup year, allowing teams to deconstruct the old plan so he could do a bait and switch in October.

I think players will find form but changes need to be made as well *coughstandercough*.

Schmidt naturally would have held bits and pieces back but the way he reacted after Cardiff suggested to me that he was completely rattled. So I'm not expecting a brand new plan by the world cup, certainly not one which is already silky smooth from a year of behind closed doors refinement.

I hope he'll take stock of how well the Leinster contingent play, and look to adapt the game plan accordingly. It's not light years from what they do currently, but there's a much more creative feel to their attacking shape that's lacking in the national team.

I hope he'll take stock of how well the Leinster contingent play, and look to adapt the game plan accordingly. It's not light years from what they do currently, but there's a much more creative feel to their attacking shape that's difficult to replicate at international level.

Mild fyp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,183 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Test rugby is well above the standard we saw yesterday. Great performance but there's a reason the same players were far more hurried and error prone in the 6N.

It's a great barometer for form and indicator of who should be involved in the national side but I don't think Schmidt will be thinking he saw exactly where it all went wrong when he watched yesterday's game.

Based on yesterday and this season I cannot see how Conan is not the starting 8 for Ireland, he is an incredible player in incredible form....he has to start

I said already move Stander to 6 and let POM/sob fight it out for the 7 jersey

It’s a pity Ruddock didn’t get on pitch as I don’t think at the moment he travels

Buer wrote: »
    Test rugby is well above the standard we saw yesterday. Great performance but there's a reason the same players were far more hurried and error prone in the 6N.

It's a great barometer for form and indicator of who should be involved in the national side but I don't think Schmidt will be thinking he saw exactly where it all went wrong when he watched yesterday's game.

The standard can be higher certainly, but the methods that tend to bring success don't change. An ability to play with the ball in hand, be alive to attacking opportunities and have the requisite skills to execute. It's what NZ do consistently.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

Based on yesterday and this season I cannot see how Conan is not the starting 8 for Ireland, he is an incredible player in incredible form....he has to start

I said already move Stander to 6 and let POM/sob fight it out for the 7 jersey

It’s a pity Ruddock didn’t get on pitch as I don’t think at the moment he travels

Big difference on the quality of oppositions . Conan imo had enough chances to prove himself to get ahead of Stander and didnt take any . Cant see that changing anytime soon

Vinnie222 wrote: »
    Big difference on the quality of oppositions . Conan imo had enough chances to prove himself to get ahead of Stander and didnt take any . Cant see that changing anytime soon

As opposed to what? Stander running into walls for however long he's on the pitch? Conan has been a better 8 then anyone else in the country for some time.

As opposed to what? Stander running into walls for however long he's on the pitch? Conan has been a better 8 then anyone else in the country for some time.

Lucky for Stander then that Joe disagree with you

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

No there isn't, Toulouse have been excellent this season. Leinster will be playing Saracens in 3 weeks anyway.

Lucky for Stander then that Joe disagree with you

Evidently. Hopefully not unlucky for the rest of us come November.

Rynhardt Elstadt, Joe Tekori, Jerome Kaino

Looks a decent opposition, in terms of Kaino are you saying he isn’t good?

• Advertisement

Rynhardt Elstadt, Joe Tekori, Jerome Kaino

Looks a decent opposition, in terms of Kaino are you saying he isn’t good?

Not yesterday , was he not taken off just after the break . Saracens will be by far tougher

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement