Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk X: The Long Hard Road to a Semi. MOD WARNING POSTS #1, #1474, #5707

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Erik Shun wrote: »
    AIL club players being drafted into the Pro14 is a bit extreme, no?

I take your point though...not sure it's true..can't see like of Carberry, Scannell, Sweetnam, Farrell Ryan etc at Munster not playing until December..it's just not viable I think

Sorry, should have said international player.

But I’m sure that’s true. The overall point is that it does not matter at all that Best (or Rob keanrey or anyone else who decides to finish up) is not going to play for their province after the World Cup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Erik Shun

Sorry, should have said international player.

But I’m sure that’s true. The overall point is that it does not matter at all that Best (or Rob keanrey or anyone else who decides to finish up) is not going to play for their province after the World Cup.

I'm not too bothered about after the world cup...my thinking is there is no way in hell that a 36 yo man will be match fit in 6 months time after 2? Warm-up games

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I'm not too bothered about after the world cup...my thinking is there is no way in hell that a 36 yo man will be match fit in 6 months time after 2? Warm-up games

That's the exact same number of warm-up games that everyone else in the squad will have. So we'd better hope he is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Not sure what your point is?

All the players including Best will be getting the same warm up to the WC.....

Best has just decided to finish after the WC. A number of players have done the same. Didn't McCaw hand up boots after last WC?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Nucifora set to sign a 4 year contract to remain with the IRFU, per the 42.

Brilliant news.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

Great news regarding Nucifora

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

https://twitter.com/RugbyPlayersIRE/status/1128780057512747010

Congrats to Jack Carty

He beat Will Addison, Tadhg Beirne, Cian Healy, James Lowe and James Ryan to the award

• Registered Users Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

James Ryan wins Players Player of the Year and Young Player of the Year at the Ireland Rugby awards.

He's getting better and better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

At the risk of going full hyperbole, have we seen an Irish second row as talented as Ryan before?

It will be a few season before he can be considered the best Irish lock of all time but for the here and now on a skills and ability basis, has there been better?

He possesses both footwork and raw power of which he uses both to beat defenders.

He is an excellent lineout option.

His tackles are usually minimum in the high teens and the most I've ever seen him miss in a game is 2.

He can cover tight and loose side in the scrum.

He has phenomenal hands and real ability to offload post contact

His performance doesn't dip at any stage between minute 1 and 80

In Ireland we have seen some great second rows but I cannot think of any as rounded as him

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

At the risk of going full hyperbole, have we seen an Irish second row as talented as Ryan before?

It will be a few season before he can be considered the best Irish lock of all time but for the here and now on a skills and ability basis, has there been better?

He possesses both footwork and raw power of which he uses both to beat defenders.

His tackles are usually minimum in the high teens and the most I've ever seen him miss in a game is 2.

In Ireland we have seen some great second rows but I cannot think of any as rounded as him

The only thing separating him from someone like Alun Wyn Jones and Maro Itoje is his lack of dog.

He needs to be more of a wily bastard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Sits and waits patiently for Paul’s response...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,671 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

James Ryan is a great rugby player, but at 17 stone he seems to be a bit underweight compared to other top international second-rows.

troyzer wrote: »
    The only thing separating him from someone like Alun Wyn Jones and Maro Itoje is his lack of dog.

He needs to be more of a wily bastard.

Alun Wyn Jones has only come on in last few seasons......

Ryan is still very young

Itoje is just a dirty fecker :P:P:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

He's the certainly the most complete second row for his age that we've seen. As to the rest of it, let's wait another year or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

James Ryan is a great rugby player, but at 17 stone he seems to be a bit underweight compared to other top international second-rows.

I wouldn't say that argument is hugely relevant given how he has performed against those top level locks though

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Alun Wyn Jones has only come on in last few seasons......

Ah here. AWJ has played in each of the last 9 Lions tests, going back to 2009. But he's only come on in the last few seasons??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

What's that in real measurements?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,916 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    What's that in real measurements?
    108 kg.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Itoje is just a dirty fecker :P:P:P

And as a result is a penalty magnet.

aloooof wrote: »
    Ah here. AWJ has played in each of the last 9 Lions tests, going back to 2009. But he's only come on in the last few seasons??

Maybe read the post and then read the quote....the reference was about the dog in them....

AWJ has come on massively in last few years.....when he started out he didn't have that niggle....same as Ryan

Do we have to explain everything in full detail? just so you don't get confused?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Maybe read the post and then read the quote....the reference was about the dog in them....

AWJ has come on massively in last few years.....when he started out he didn't have that niggle....same as Ryan

Do we have to explain everything in full detail? just so you don't get confused?

Frankly, from someone who thinks James Hart is a massive loss to Ireland, then yes, the more detail you provide the better.

And if you could cut down on the condescension as well, that'd be great.

I wouldn't say that argument is hugely relevant given how he has performed against those top level locks though

I just wonder what a 19 stone James Ryan would be like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭accensi0n

11% better.

aloooof wrote: »
    Frankly, from someone who thinks James Hart is a massive loss to Ireland, then yes, the more detail you provide the better.

And if you could cut down on the condescension as well, that'd be great.

Personally, any Irish player that has to move to a foreign club is a massive loss to Ireland.

Especially one who has shown when playing in France he is a quality player. Best of luck to him anyway, he found a club quickly and I am sure he will be a success.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 474 ✭✭Former Observer

I wonder what a forty stone James Ryan would be like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Erik Shun

Fat?

Slllloooowwwww

• Registered Users Posts: 11,240 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

I wonder what a forty stone James Ryan would be like.

A prop forwards worst nightmare

• Registered Users Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Probably not as good. What makes Ryan so good is his incredible work rate and speed off the mark. Put two stone on him and both those aspects of his game diminish.

Maybe when he gets into his late 20's and early 30's he'll need to adjust his game for loss of athleticism. But for now he should stay as he is.

• Advertisement

Clegg wrote: »
    Probably not as good. What makes Ryan so good is his incredible work rate and speed off the mark. Put two stone on him and both those aspects of his game diminish.

Maybe when he gets into his late 20's and early 30's he'll need to adjust his game for loss of athleticism. But for now he should stay as he is.

Just makes me wonder if Ryan needs to be paired up with a heavier lock, such as Toner or Roux, or soon Kleyn will be eligible too.
    Beirne or Dillane might not be able to play alongside Ryan effectively.
    Henderson is not the heaviest lock, but they are a likely pairing for the World Cup in my view.
    We could be bullied by other packs with bigger locks, some other teams' locks are on average around 19 stone.
    I'm thinking in particular about South Africa.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement