Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk X: The Long Hard Road to a Semi. MOD WARNING POSTS #1, #1474, #5707

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭baas baa

On Beirne I'd still back him to make the WC squad, he offers something different from others with his breakdown work. I see him as being similar to O'Mahony, neither have traditional skillsets for their positions, both struggled Saturday as Munsters pack were generally outmuscled, failing to dominate collisions and allowing them to shine. The Irish pack is a different beast though and somebody with Beirnes skillset could compliment the power that the likes of Healy, Furlong, Ryan, Henderson and Stander bring.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

baas baa wrote: »
    On Beirne I'd still back him to make the WC squad, he offers something different from others with his breakdown work. I see him as being similar to O'Mahony, neither have traditional skillsets for their positions, both struggled Saturday as Munsters pack were generally outmuscled, failing to dominate collisions and allowing them to shine. The Irish pack is a different beast though and somebody with Beirnes skillset could compliment the power that the likes of Healy, Furlong, Ryan, Henderson and Stander bring.

He was completely anonymous against Wales.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,046 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

You're talking about accommodating players in the hope that they can achieve one or two moments of success in one particular area. Neither Beirne or POM are at the level of a player like Pocock or Warburton, who are masters at the breakdown, and also excellent in other areas.

troyzer wrote: »
    He was completely anonymous against Wales.

As was the entire side.

You're talking about accommodating players in the hope that they can achieve one or two moments of success in one particular area. Neither Beirne or POM are at the level of a player like Pocock or Warburton, who are masters at the breakdown, and also excellent in other areas.

They contribute far more throughout a game than one or two moments of success in a particular area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,032 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I don't see how our backrow isn't a concern at the moment. Let's not bother pretending Conan has any chance of starting any of the big RWC games, he doesn't really. POM and Stander aren't influencing games at the noment and SOB played well on Sunday but he has to keep it up, he didn't do it in the 6N at all.

I hate the phrase a player has been 'found out' but it's hard to see it any other way with Stander. No footwork, no threat of an offload, he's too easy to defend against now imo. Still has a pretty amazing workrate.

I wonder if Farrell has any different thoughts on the team to Schmidt.

They contribute far more throughout a game than one or two moments of success in a particular area.

Beirne was completely anonymous against Wales as was POM.

This is the issue. POM when he's making key turnovers and lineout steals is world-class. Same with Beirne on the deck.

The issue is that Beirne hasn't been able to replicate it at test level, probably because he's not physically up to it. And POM has always had a very poor workrate. Take away his poaching and lineouts and he's an empty shirt.

You can have one of them in the team but not two. You need workers in the pack and neither of them are.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Beirne was completely anonymous against Wales as was POM.

This is the issue. POM when he's making key turnovers and lineout steals is world-class. Same with Beirne on the deck.

The issue is that Beirne hasn't been able to replicate it at test level, probably because he's not physically up to it. And POM has always had a very poor workrate. Take away his poaching and lineouts and he's an empty shirt.

You can have one of them in the team but not two. You need workers in the pack and neither of them are.

Beirne just hasn't replicated his Scarlets form on an extended or continued basis either at Munster or Ireland and whether people argue that it's down to Ireland's form, Munsters form, relevant opposition or Joe's reluctance to give him extended time, it's irrelevant. He hasn't made himself invaluable, been good enough to get on the plane or had the performances that warrant a chance.

His best hope now is for someone to get injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Gonad

POM has been class for Ireland in many of the big games the past few years . England 2017 when he came in late for Heaslip and against the All Blacks last year he was unreal .

I think we are suffering from a lack of go forward from our backs . I think Aki has been class but maybe Henshaw will offer a bit more in that department when fit . I still think Stander is essential player going forward but would like to see us maybe varying our attack a bit more rather then sending Stander crashing into contact at every opportunity .

Hopefully Joe has something up his sleeve for the World Cup

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

We certainly lacked go forward, but not from our backs. Our pack weren't at the races at all during the 6Ns. I've no idea why, but they just weren't. Add to that a scrum half trying to find his way back from injury and a 10 in a similar position and the simple fact is the backs never really had a chance.

As for Stander, he fulfills the role of a traditional blindside in many respects. He takes on crap ball and recycles it well. Kev McLaughlin was great for Leinster at that stuff. Which is totally fine as long as you have another guy making yards or showing a bit more dynamism. We've struggled with that part. SOB in his pomp was great for it. Leavy gave us an option there last season. But none of our options this season could deliver there. That's possibly where Conan could come into things. He does offer a bit more in the carrying stakes than other options do.

What that means for the rest of the back row I dont really know. POM is talismanic when he's on song. But does that mean Stander goes to the bench? Does Conan offer enough elsewhere to offset the relegation of Stander. It's a tough one.

• Advertisement

This is fantastic

https://youtu.be/Lu_TblIFRiQ

Squidge rugby's latest video is on Ireland:

https://youtu.be/Lu_TblIFRiQ
    Gonad wrote: »

:confused:

Apologies I didn’t know it was posted

It is still fantastic though ...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭swiwi_

I found the video so more profound when gonad posted it. The way it was embedded in the post, the minimalist use of dialogue. It was just the total rugby experience. Not to take anything away from your post but somehow I found myself wanting more.

swiwi_ wrote: »
    I found the video so more profound when gonad posted it. The way it was embedded in the post, the minimalist use of dialogue. It was just the total rugby experience. Not to take anything away from your post but somehow I found myself wanting more.

Fair enough.

Sorry hun.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,867 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Conway's just lost his spot in Schmidt's squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,764 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Clegg wrote: »

If Joe took that approach he'd only have Earls left on the wing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Clegg wrote: »

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭part time punk

bilston wrote: »
    If Joe took that approach he'd only have Earls left on the wing!

And Dave Kearney :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,696 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Who nominates these?
    I would only have Ryan from that list.

How about: Furlong, Ryan, Earls, Henderson

There's about 10 combinations better that that nominated list.

Edit: my bad I guess it's the players?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

@longdogbeirne is far too easy to misread at a glance....

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭foxyladyxx

Who nominates these?
    I would only have Ryan from that list.

How about: Furlong, Ryan, Earls, Henderson

There's about 10 combinations better that that nominated list.

Edit: my bad I guess it's the players?

For me. . Furlong, Ryan. Henderson and Carty.

Obviously the guys picked are the more popular ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

foxyladyxx wrote: »

So thats why no Ulster players made the list.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Erik Shun

foxyladyxx wrote: »
    For me. . Furlong, Ryan. Henderson and Carty.

Why no handsome Bobby K in that case?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Jewelers

Erik Shun wrote: »
    Why no handsome Bobby K in that case?!

getting too old grey hair showing

Jewelers wrote: »
    getting too old grey hair showing

Silver Fox.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Silver Fox.

I’ve a bit creeping in, I keep telling the wife I look like George Clooney. Not sure she believes me though.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,236 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

salmocab wrote: »
    I’ve a bit creeping in, I keep telling the wife I look like George Clooney. Not sure she believes me though.

More like George hook I'd say ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

sydthebeat wrote: »
    More like George hook I'd say ;)

Where’s a mod when I need one

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement