Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grass Measuring

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

Not much grass to measure either before or after grazing

Grazing them fairly tight

A finished paddock

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Tipp Man wrote: »
    Not much grass to measure either before or after grazing
    Out of interest do you consider the grazed field to be poached. It can be hard to judge in photos. It's fine line/ judgement between normal hoof marks and lightly poached!

just do it wrote: »
    Out of interest do you consider the grazed field to be poached. It can be hard to judge in photos. It's fine line/ judgement between normal hoof marks and lightly poached!

Wouldn't consider it poached but wouldn't want any more damage done to it than that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭delaval

Tipp Man wrote: »
    Grazing them fairly tight
    Good work that's that paddock set up for the season

What a beautiful day! Did a cover this am Afc 549; cover /cow 261; 15 growth.

Looks like we are ok for next 3 wks!! Sold pit of silage today, my neighbour is stuck and asked me a few weeks ago, I was afraid to 'till we measured today.

All grazed ground will get 2500 gls slurry in next few days

• Registered Users Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

delaval wrote: »

agreed, overstocking is a gift at this time of the year when we graze the ass out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Kileir

Question for the experienced grass measuring folk - how do these figures look as a general guide for someone like myself who's thinking of measuring grass this year? Are these figures close enough for a beginner. ?

GRASS HEIGHT CM KG DM HA
    1 -
    2 -
    3 -
    4 150
    5 400
    6 650
    7 900
    8 1100
    9 1300
    10 1600
    11 1850
    12 2100

Kileir wrote: »
    Question for the experienced grass measuring folk - how do these figures look as a general guide for someone like myself who's thinking of measuring grass this year? Are these figures close enough for a beginner. ?

GRASS HEIGHT CM KG DM HA
    1 -
    2 -
    3 -
    4 150
    5 400
    6 650
    7 900
    8 1100
    9 1300
    10 1600
    11 1850
    12 2100

You made me go find tape:):)
    I'd say your not far off the mark. For a beginner I suggest use the following
    150-400.....300
    400-700.....500
    700-1000....850
    1k--1300.....1100
    You won't be too far off;);)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Hmm can't say I managed to graze mine as tight, some of the paddocks have a thick enough matty cover on them that the cows wouldn't graze out. The stuff ya need sheep on to graze down properly (which we don't have the fencing for!). TBH its a result of our low stocking rate over the last few years, but the loss of rented land has pushed us from about 1.80LU/ha up to about 2.5 for this year so I can't see undergrazing being a problem!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭ellewood

Yea taught the exact same myself - there will be a lovely cover of nice green to the butt grass on it again in a month or so(eventually when temp increases)
    Will it get slurry now or fert?

All grazed about that tight so far

Grass should be good quality now for the year

But have to say I would prefer it not quite as tight, the way growth is athe moment this will be slow coming back

agreed, overstocking is a gift at this time of the year when we graze the ass out of it.

100 cows getting an acre for 8 hours

Way toward bob!!!

ellewood wrote: »
    Yea taught the exact same myself - there will be a lovely cover of nice green to the butt grass on it again in a month or so(eventually when temp increases)
    Will it get slurry now or fert?

Some got a bit of watery slurry, you can probably see it in a couple of the photos, or maybe it's on the 1's in the photo thread

Either way that slurry was only to bring down the parlour tank. All paddock will get urea, some inch paddocks getting pasture sward instead

Not a massive fan of going out with slurry so close after grazing, conditions just not good enough IMO

Timmaay wrote: »
    Hmm can't say I managed to graze mine as tight, some of the paddocks have a thick enough matty cover on them that the cows wouldn't graze out. The stuff ya need sheep on to graze down properly (which we don't have the fencing for!). TBH its a result of our low stocking rate over the last few years, but the loss of rented land has pushed us from about 1.80LU/ha up to about 2.5 for this year so I can't see undergrazing being a problem!!!
    You should pm Whelan she knows a lad with lots of sheep;);););):P:P:P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

You should pm Whelan she knows a lad with lots of sheep;);););):P:P:P

You could pm me as well. I know one of those boys and he must be stuck for a bit of grazing as they're starting to die off at this stage. None of the neighbours would co-operate with his planned grazing programme:rolleyes:. It involved him not fencing and allowing the rest of us to provide a bit of an extra run for him. Those jokers from out west not happy with taking the sfp out of our childrens mouths they're trying to rob the grass now as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

You could pm me as well. I know one of those boys and he must be stuck for a bit of grazing as they're starting to die off at this stage. None of the neighbours would co-operate with his planned grazing programme:rolleyes:. It involved him not fencing and allowing the rest of us to provide a bit of an extra run for him. Those jokers from out west not happy with taking the sfp out of our childrens mouths they're trying to rob the grass now as well.
    You wouldnt begrudge us a small bit of that sweet sunkissed grass would you freedom ? Sure we have neither grass nor much SFP here at the minute :D

moy83 wrote: »
    You wouldnt begrudge us a small bit of that sweet sunkissed grass would you freedom ? Sure we have neither grass nor much SFP here at the minute :D

Not you Moy never. Only prob is there's nothing like enough of it at the mo'.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭mf240

Could you not shoot an odd one if he wont keep them out or would that be ott.?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

mf240 wrote: »
    If you do that dont waste him , make sure to throw him in the freezer after

mf240 wrote: »

I wouldn't be that type but I couldn't speak for all the neighbours:D

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭6480

we could measure the amount of rain that has fallen in the last 24 hours today

• Registered Users Posts: 4,375 ✭✭✭stanflt

6480 wrote: »
    we could measure the amount of rain that has fallen in the last 24 hours today

It's freezing here this morning . Great drying with that wind- might put cows out in the morning

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Delaval, do ya measure everything regularly, ie all the silage/outfarm fields, or mostly the grazing block? Do you put the whole lot into agrinet and keep track of the full farm for the whole year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭Dampintheattic

Would you lose some value out of slurry, by spreading in this cold spell?
    Thinking of spreading this week, but could afford to wait a bit, if the cold was going to rob some of the nutrient value.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

Thinking of spreading this week, but could afford to wait a bit, if the cold was going to rob some of the nutrient value.:confused:

spread away, what nutrients will be lost is minimal

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Not sure, maybe some of the N would be lost, but it is nearly April, I'm planning to spread a bit later this week. If you leave it till after silage is cut there will be no benefit from N in it.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Spread away the only nutriant you'll lose will be N all other unaffected

• Advertisement

Timmaay wrote: »
    Delaval, do ya measure everything regularly, ie all the silage/outfarm fields, or mostly the grazing block? Do you put the whole lot into agrinet and keep track of the full farm for the whole year?
    At the moment we have no silage ground all grazed and only think of silage when surplus begins to appear.We do not measure the outfarm. Regarding input e would input silage yield into agrinet as it really is grazing ground. We measure cow ground weekly and maybe 3 times a fortnight in very fast growth

Advertisement