Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

seamus wrote: »
    Where are you seeing that?

Low in comparison to midweek last week, but massive for a Monday. A clear indication that the programme is getting into its stride.

This report
    https://www.hse.ie/eng/services/news/newsfeatures/covid19-updates/vaccination-programme-dashboard-as-of-26-april-2021.pdf

Taken the total of this report from yesterdays. Gives 19,881

https://www.hse.ie/eng/services/news/newsfeatures/covid19-updates/vaccination-programme-dashboard-as-of-25-april-2021.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

1huge1 wrote: »

GPs still doing a lot of the vaccinating, and they wouldn't be receiving a delivery of doses over the weekend when the practice is typically closed, so no doses to give out then on the Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭plodder

Cooled1 wrote: »
    No one knows how long any vaccine protects you for long term as no data for this exists yet, though pfizer have said they believe a top up will be needed every year
    Every year, for ever more?

I guess it would be nice for them if that is the case. I think it is pessimistic to think that. Maybe one or two at most. I imagine given the incredible reputational gain to Pfizer in recent times, maybe they see $$ and will be marketing annual boosters, but whether they are actually needed is another question imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

1huge1 wrote: »
    Why is Monday a low day?
    Logistics. Same reason why Saturday & Sunday are low days. Supplies get delivered early Monday. The morning is spent prepping. So the bulk of the vaccinations get done Tuesday, Weds, Thurs, then slow down over the weekend as the supply runs down.
    The cycle then begins again Monday morning.

As all vaccinations move to the MVCs and away from GPs & hospitals, we should start to see a more steady flow of deliveries and therefore a more consistent level of vaccinations.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

Thanks all for the replies, makes sense why Mondays will typically be a bit lower when most of the supply from the previous week has been used up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Looks like a 51% increase for highest Monday previously which was march 29th.

Can't argue with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Approaching 200k 7 day rolling average now. Should hopefully go over it tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭eigrod

My local GP told me that the practice effectively shuts down for a day to administer the vaccines, except for emergency care. They go from 8am to 9pm and each GP/Nurse works a shift. I know it was on Wednesday last week and they had 400+ people scheduled. It’s unlikely they’d do that on a Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,664 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Not sure if this was posted already. Good to see. Pfizer has been very reliable so far.

https://twitter.com/MatinaStevis/status/1387344903739478016

• Registered Users Posts: 16,099 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

eigrod wrote: »
    My local GP told me that the practice effectively shuts down for a day to administer the vaccines, except for emergency care. They go from 8am to 9pm and each GP/Nurse works a shift. I know it was on Wednesday last week and they had 400+ people scheduled. It’s unlikely they’d do that on a Monday.

Ours does the same , they shut down the clinics and vaccine only appointments all day on Saturdays .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Ours does the same , they shut down the clinics and vaccine only appointments all day on Saturdays .

Yep same with another one which my cousin works in - hence her answering the calls to "is there anything I can do to get a Pfizer" brigade rant yesterday!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

MM tells the Dáil that Pfizers largest delivery yet arrived today, 191,800 doses

• Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭Russman

MM tells the Dáil that Pfizers largest delivery yet arrived today, 191,800 doses

That's the sort of news we like to see !

• Registered Users Posts: 11,664 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Great stuff. Thank feck for Pfizer!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,638 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

we owe biontech a pint or 100000000

• Registered Users Posts: 16,470 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Cooled1 wrote: »
    2 doses of any of these vaccines do not give 100% protection, the added protection of the 2nd dose is very small. It would be better if twice as many people had 70% protection etc rather than half that amount of people having zero protection. And again no one knows the long term or even medium term protection from the vaccines, though it is believed than a top up dose is likely to be needed every year.

The answer is that we don't know the long term efficacy, we have the trial data, real world data from Israel and some data from other countries, and the manufacturers of the vaccine still recommend sticking to a 2 dose, 4-6 week schedule for their products (the exception seemingly being AstraZeneca where the dosing schedule appears to be made up as it goes along with the MHRA and EMA setting the dosing schedule, which is a bit weird).

While it's easy to use a small set of results or do as the UK did (we didn't need to our death rate was nowhere near their death rate), it is not a good way to build confidence in a medicine rollout if the recommended dosing schedule isn't followed. I've no doubt that it will be updated as more data comes in, I'd say it's likely that a 1 dose schedule comes in with a modified amount of active ingredient, but I don't know that, neither do you, so it shouldn't be the default to go against a manufacturers guidelines no matter how many armchair experts agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

Pfizer Pharmaceutical company will forever be my fave Pharmaceutical company.

getting my vaccine tomorrow and I can't wait!!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭SJFly

seamus wrote: »
    I don't think this is really going to make a massive difference. Initial J&J supplies we know are prioritised for other groups anyway.

If you think logistically about this, it's going to be next week (or even the week after) before people aged 59 will be invited to register for a vaccine. Ten days again before they start even vaccinating them. Which means it'll be the start of June at the very earliest before a jab goes near someone aged 50-55. At which point there'll be enough AZ & J&J to mostly cover them all.

I expect the 40-49 group will be started in parallel towards the end of May.

By the end of June then Everyone over 50 is covered, you've exhausted your AZ & J&J supplies and you can begin in earnest on the under-40s.

The end of June is way too late to begin the under 40s in earnerst. That would leave a huge percentage of the population unvaccinated coming in to the summer, and would miss the 80% target by some margin.
    Supplies are really picking up and MVCs are getting up to speed. They should be able to move through the age groups quite quickly now, and a plan is needed for the j&j. When the bulk of it arrives the over 50s and over 40s will probably be finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,392 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Taoiseach says Ireland’s biggest consignment of vaccines to date has arrived: 191,000+ doses of Pfizer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,392 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Great to hear that we've got 200k more Pfizer. But what next for AZ/J&J?

If MVC's aren't at full capacity, then we should 100% be moving to an "opt-in" model rather than seeing these sitting there.
    I will be the first person in the queue for any vaccine which has been approved by the EMA and don't care which it is.

Otherwise, NIAC are going to have to do next week what they should have done this week - say "This vaccine is perfectly safe for all age groups" once the over 50's are finished using up the Pfizer vaccine which I am sure is where this is going.

If somebody wants to sit around and wait for their mis-guided belief of a silver bullet from Pfizer (in spite of it having the same immunity against hospitalisation/death/serious illness, except the SA variant which it has less protection than J&J) then be my guest.

There will be no shortage of volunteers to take any vaccine going who want to start living again as quick as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

One day at a time!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Sounds like we might be moving past supply being the main rate limiting factor?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 11,935 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Might actually get vaccinated soon with that delivery. Surely that will cover a large chunk of what's left in group 4 and 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭JPup

GLaDOS wrote: »
    Sounds like we might be moving past supply being the main rate limiting factor?

Not until July at the earliest I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Lmkrnr

Stop kissing me MM and throw it onto me..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Lmkrnr wrote: »
    Stop kissing me MM and throw it onto me..

I just vomited

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,726 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

titan18 wrote: »
    Might actually get vaccinated soon with that delivery. Surely that will cover a large chunk of what's left in group 4 and 7.

Still need groups 1-3 second doses out of that!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement