Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

Call me Al wrote: »
    I can't see how they can.
    They justified the move to age based rollout by saying there was a risk of poor outcomes the older you were.

They can't really turn around now and give a lie to the whole process by skipping over these age groups and going straight to the 45-49 year olds.

They can, and should, if it's only a matter of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭Pretzill

I'm 50's group and I will be getting my vax this week (to my surprise and delight) I would be considered cohort 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

Pretzill wrote: »
    I'm 50's group and I will be getting my vax this week (to my surprise and delight) I would be considered cohort 7.

I'm cohort 4, had cancelled vaccination 2 weeks ago and have heard zip since...this is crazy...
    Did they say which flavour you'll be getting?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭Russman

They justified the move to age based rollout by saying there was a risk of poor outcomes the older you were.

They can't really turn around now and give a lie to the whole process by skipping over these age groups and going straight to the 45-49 year olds.

But they wouldn't be (if they did that). They'd be adjusting the roll out to account for the safety issues and medical advice with two of the vaccines. It's all in the communications with it though, if they do. They'd have to highlight that the 50s would still be fully covered first anyway and promote that being fully covered asap is the goal.
    I think they'll ultimately play it safe and risk having unused J&J and extending by a couple of weeks as necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Strazdas wrote: »
    Which is why I think NIAC may be forced to do a u-turn eventually (and especially if the US etc are still vaccinating away with it with no major issues).

People might be willing to accept delays in the programme at the moment but I don't think the mood will be there for it in mid to late June.

Agree fully.
    hmmm wrote: »
    The problem with that (and same issue with the AZ) is you end up with a surplus of these vaccines and the group remaining are the younger groups which are more likely to have worse side-effects. Ethically I couldn't give a 20 year-old female the AZ vaccine, when we won't give it to a 40 year-old.

We're backed into a corner at that point - it's why a lower age limit, or something like allowing males of any age to get the J&J vaccine would have been better just in my non-expert opinion. I think we will end up wasting hundreds of thousands of one-dose vaccines which could have gone to the 40 year old and up group, and it costing us a few extra weeks as a consequence.

Yeah exactly, why set such an arbitrary age just because of a TINY few adverse impacts in millions of people?
    Russman wrote: »
    One thing I really can't see happening though is NIAC changing advice based on economic factors. That's just not going to happen IMHO.

I definitely wouldn't want NIAC to change advice on economic factors, but they should at least be a serious medical justification for the age parameters they set. Saying "yeah 50, but if you haven't anything else, it can be given younger" is a joke. To me, that sounds like "we'll give it to what we have a supply for, but beyond that....." which makes no sense whatsoever.

Either it is safe to be given or it is not....and if they come up with a random figure, its going to be hard to justify "yeah we changed our mind from 3 weeks ago" to lower it to 40/30/whatever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭Russman

Agree fully.

Yeah exactly, why set such an arbitrary age just because of a TINY few adverse impacts in millions of people?

I definitely wouldn't want NIAC to change advice on economic factors, but they should at least be a serious medical justification for the age parameters they set. Saying "yeah 50, but if you haven't anything else, it can be given younger" is a joke. To me, that sounds like "we'll give it to what we have a supply for, but beyond that....." which makes no sense whatsoever.

Either it is safe to be given or it is not....and if they come up with a random figure, its going to be hard to justify "yeah we changed our mind from 3 weeks ago" to lower it to 40/30/whatever.

I don't disagree, but my own personal opinion is that the wording about not having anything else etc etc was the most politically correct way they could find to say it could be given to the hard to reach groups previously mentioned. If they went ahead and mentioned them specifically there'd be uproar.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

They will skip them if they have to. They aren't going to waste vaccines.
    Question is will the number of J&J cover all the 50-59? So they need to balance that first

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

I don't disagree, but my own personal opinion is that the wording about not having anything else etc etc was the most politically correct way they could find to say it could be given to the hard to reach groups previously mentioned. If they went ahead and mentioned them specifically there'd be uproar.

I don't disagree either! :D

But the only thing I would say, is the vaccine is either safe or it is not. If it isn't, then NIAC should have been able to explain why it isn't. If it is, it should be allowed for all age groups. Either the data backs up their decision, or it leaves their decision as very questionable.

Hypothetical situation - if Pfizer/Moderna had a massive malfunction with supply tomorrow, it'd be allowed for all age groups. If it is safe then, its safe today.

Having 26k of them sitting in a fridge is madness.

is_that_so wrote: »
    Good for him! Is he Group 4 or 7 by any chance?

He has bad asthma,is that 4 or 7 ?
    I've my eldest brother minus a spleen,whats the story with that? They've been done as a priority in the North and UK but google for here has dug up nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Zipppy wrote: »
    I'm cohort 4, had cancelled vaccination 2 weeks ago and have heard zip since...this is crazy...

Have you contacted them? People will fall through the cracks, its a massive job and we don't have the software to handle it.

You need to reach out to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I've my eldest brother minus a spleen,whats the story with that? They've been done as a priority in the North and UK but google for here has dug up nothing
    I'm guessing that's considered a group 4 for asthma as that seems to be what they are doing right now. Here is a list of groups for you. On your eldest brother a GP call might be best to clarify.

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/39038-provisional-vaccine-allocation-groups/

Have you contacted them? People will fall through the cracks, its a massive job and we don't have the software to handle it.

You need to reach out to them.

I've tried office of consultant who put me in Cohort4, GP, HSE....nada....

I dunno where to turn now..

Vaccination was cancelled cos of the AZ mess 2 weeks ago..

I'm minus a spleen too (amongst other things)...It used to be listed high risk here but somewhere along the line the HSE removed it entirely.
    I'm aware if I was in the UK I would have been told to shield indoors for last year...over here .. nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 28,512 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Severe Asthma is Group 7.
    Severe seems to be defined as regular use of oral steroids and if you have been hospitalised for asthma but not 100% sure.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭irishlad.

According to ECDC we now have 400,800 doses of Astrazeneca delivered, meaning a delivery of 9,600 this week. Sounds very small?

is_that_so wrote: »
    I'm guessing that's considered a group 4 for asthma as that seems to be what they are doing right now. Here is a list of groups for you. On your eldest brother a GP call might be best to clarify.

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/39038-provisional-vaccine-allocation-groups/

Thanks for that,it refers to chapter 3 of the general immunisation guidelines which includes asplenia
    So on that basis I should tell him to contact his gp?

Thanks for that,it refers to chapter 3 of the general immunisation guidelines which includes asplenia
    So on that basis I should tell him to contact his gp?
    I certainly would. At least he'll have it clarified.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Reading people's reactions on Twitter is depressing.

For example today, 19,000 extra jabs into peoples arms and people still wondering why it's not 40k+.

Like Christ, do they think these just magically land in GP surgeries at 9am on Monday morning and completely ignore the fact that a lot of planning and logistics goes into this?

Whinging b*stards, the lot of them. Even if it was 40k they'd be crying the next week if it stayed stable or slightly lower.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭RavenBea17b

UK places further order of Pfizer.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56921018

I'm minus a spleen too (amongst other things)...It used to be listed high risk here but somewhere along the line the HSE removed it entirely.
    I'm aware if I was in the UK I would have been told to shield indoors for last year...over here .. nothing

Asplenia is on the list for cohort 7 via the hse immunisation guidelines

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,139 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

I'm in Group 7 and going tomorrow for mine. Getting Pfizer.

You should definitely follow yours up if you already haven't, and find out the story.

namloc1980 wrote: »

You should definitely follow yours up if you already haven't, and find out the story.

but follow up with whom? No-one seems to know anything :(

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭dubdamo

namloc1980 wrote: »

Im cohort 7, and in my 50's. Got a phone call from my GP to say that delivery has been very erratic and i could be waiting a few weeks, or a month to get done.

Asplenia is on the list for cohort 7 via the hse immunisation guidelines

Thanks for that .. I'm actually cohort 4 due to lots of other ailments :(

I'll GP again in the morning

• Registered Users Posts: 9,731 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Faugheen wrote: »
    Reading people's reactions on Twitter is depressing.

For example today, 19,000 extra jabs into peoples arms and people still wondering why it's not 40k+.

Like Christ, do they think these just magically land in GP surgeries at 9am on Monday morning and completely ignore the fact that a lot of planning and logistics goes into this?

Whinging b*stards, the lot of them. Even if it was 40k they'd be crying the next week if it stayed stable or slightly lower.

Twitter has decided that vaccines should be distributed in an exact 7 day breakdown, with the same number of doses distributed every single day, because that's how the world works.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,113 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

dubdamo wrote: »
    Im cohort 7, and in my 50's. Got a phone call from my GP to say that delivery has been very erratic and i could be waiting a few weeks, or a month to get done.

It seems very erratic , some in cohort 7 done before cohort 4 . It should have been organised better long before now

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Twitter has decided that vaccines should be distributed in an exact 7 day breakdown, with the same number of doses distributed every single day, because that's how the world works.
    It's really how a tweeter(tweaker?) brain works! If it ain't trending it ain't happening!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Not arguing with you, but what does the waiver actually mean in practical terms ? What would you be waiving ?

I'd imagine it would put NIAC in a bind ethically - probably ok if a few hundred did it, but you could have thousands trying to get it that way, and I'd assume NIAC would be of a mind that they gave their advice for a reason, and a few exceptions were allowed but not a free for all.

The EMA have approved the vaccine for all adults, there should be no obstacle to someone taking it, if they wish. NIAC should also have concerns about the government more or less requiring you to take it, which is not quite the same thing.

In Canada, AZ is now available on an elective basis to any age group, but younger people will have to wait for Pfizer for some weeks yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Pfizer - OH is group 4 he got AZ yesterday - I have anothe family member who is group 4 no sign yet either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭dubdamo

There should be an option for those in cohort4/7 to register with the HSE on a portal. Seems to be the luck of the draw as to your GP/Consultant and how involved or interested they are in the vaccine process. All GP/Consultant would have to do is supply a letter stating what conditions that they suffer from.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement