Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭acequion

Is AZ the vaccine being given to all over 60's or is it random? Does that mean this age group will have to wait much longer to be fully vaccinated and eligible for potential benefits like quarantine free travel [EU digital green cert] than other groups? Given that the wait between shots one and two is twelve weeks.

Akabusi wrote: »
    Both my folks registered (69 & 68) when it opened for them but haven't heard anything yet. Be 2 weeks on Thursday from when my Father registered. It's great to hear some centre's are flying through the groups but what could the explanation be for such a disparity depending where you live?

Same for my father in law in the midlands. His nearest vaccination centre doesn't open until next week so we're guessing that's the reason. He'd have been perfectly happy to drive a bit further to one that's open now but that's not being offered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

acequion wrote: »
    Is AZ the vaccine being given to all over 60's or is it random? Does that mean this age group will have to wait much longer to be fully vaccinated and eligible for potential benefits like quarantine free travel [EU digital green cert] than other groups? Given that the wait between shots one and two is twelve weeks.

This question has been exhausted on here many times and I laugh every time it comes up. 12 months ago we would have skinned each other for a lick of a vaccine, now people are on about how unfair it is some will travel before others. Neglecting the fact that they are still getting vaccines which offer a high level of protection from death and severe disease.

....but I need my 2 weeks in Portugal :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,792 ✭✭✭Polar101

Was there any info on which vaccination centre covers which area? There are none very near to me, but two of them (Helix and Citywest) would probably be the nearest ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,274 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Pretzill wrote: »
    The OH got his first AZ today all went smoothly the centre was a hub of activity with lots of helpful people there and an air of positivity - looking forward to getting mine when they reach my cohort - dare I dream of travel this autumn?

Assuming there is no "fifth wave" in Europe, I would say chances of Irish people being able to leave the country by autumn would be very high.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭acequion

Miike wrote: »
    This question has been exhausted on here many times and I laugh every time it comes up. 12 months ago we would have skinned each other for a lick of a vaccine, now people are on about how unfair it is some will travel before others. Neglecting the fact that they are still getting vaccines which offer a high level of protection from death and severe disease.

....but I need my 2 weeks in Portugal :rolleyes:

No need for the rant, I asked a simple question :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I've not been following this thread so have not seen that discussion and was not aware it was already "exhausted."

People are entitled to have concerns and to ask questions!

Polar101 wrote: »
    Was there any info on which vaccination centre covers which area? There are none very near to me, but two of them (Helix and Citywest) would probably be the nearest ones.

It will be whichever is closest based on your eircode.

I thought mine would be Grangegorman but I don't know if that's still going ahead. Otherwise probably the Helix.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

acequion wrote: »
    No need for the rant, I asked a simple question :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I've not been following this thread so have not seen that discussion and was not aware it was already "exhausted."

People are entitled to have concerns and to ask questions!

Oh that wasn't directed at you. It was just a general comment on something that makes me laugh in this thread! Sorry for making you feel targeted :o

• Registered Users Posts: 12,666 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

bikeman1 wrote: »
    My Dad received his 3rd text this morning offering him a Covid vaccine (dose 1). He got his vaccine 10 days ago when first offered in the Cohort 4.

How does this happen? He does have a couple of conditions, but surely there is a cross check before issuing out an appointment? We thought it was an error when the second one came out, but three offers in about 14 days? He did reply no immediately to hopefully give someone the slot they had assigned him in error twice.

Another question coming to my mind, are they over counting the vulnerable? He could be on three lists but is actually only one person. Might be an unusual scenario? Anyone else get two or more vaccine offers?

Have only heard of the overlaps in the start in Citywest where people were double booked to start with in the first weeks .
    Fair dues to your dad for letting them know .
    It's people with more than one underlying conditons being treated by different teams ,and none of them have a joined up way of communicating !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,903 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Flying Fox wrote: »
    It will be whichever is closest based on your eircode.

I thought mine would be Grangegorman but I don't know if that's still going ahead. Otherwise probably the Helix.

You would think that but it doesn't seem to be the case. The in-laws were called for theirs this week. Live a 5 minute walk from croke park or a 10 minute drive to the Helix so of course they were called to Citywest

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

JRant wrote: »
    You would think that but it doesn't seem to be the case. The in-laws were called for theirs this week. Live a 5 minute walk from croke park or a 10 minute drive to the Helix so of course they were called to Citywest

That's nuts! Seems a bit all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭Qrt

Thought it was 85%.

85% effective against illness in general. Still a 15% chance you’ll get a few sniffles. Afaik nobody in any of the trials was admitted to hospital as a result of infection, which is the end goal after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 brighterspark

Are there many Cohort 4 still waiting? I am now 2 weeks on from my cancelled appt (astra zeneca "abundance of caution" week) 2 weeks working in overcrowded second level school and no protection and now if they ever get round to me I have now aged enough to qualify for the injection I would have got in the first place! This 'caution' they apply I have to wonder is to protect what party? the vaccinated ( or Potentially vaccinated) or those making decisions ( and potentially those who can be held to account/sued)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Mark Coughlan of Prime time, likelihood of vaccine targets being met by end of June.

https://www.rte.ie/news/primetime/2021/0427/1212479-vaccine-rollout-niac-advice-johnson-and-johnson/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Good analysis

The "In other words, it seems, you can ask the 50–59-year-olds to wait, or you can risk wasting Johnson & Johnson doses." is very hard for the HSE

Impossible to get right

• Registered Users Posts: 18,274 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Good analysis

The "In other words, it seems, you can ask the 50–59-year-olds to wait, or you can risk wasting Johnson & Johnson doses." is very hard for the HSE

Impossible to get right

Isn't there a get out clause of "if no other vaccine available" for J & J? People barely even noticed this today but it might be significant. Let's say they tear through the over 50s in May with the four vaccines and then open the portal to the 49-45 year olds. At that point, if there are not sufficient vaccines available but they have surplus stock of J & J, it seems they have the green light to administer it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,539 ✭✭✭JTMan

A concurrent rollout of different age groups is still possible according to the Irish Times here ...
    It is understood officials may look at the potential of allocating specific vaccines to specific age groups, which could be easier operationally. That could open up another age cohort for vaccination to be done in parallel with an older cohort.

One senior source said that 60-69 year olds would soon be given the AstraZeneca vaccine. “We will move to the 50-59 year olds with Johnson & Johnson. So what do we do with all the Pfizer shots? Could we do the 40-49 bracket?” the source speculated.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,539 ✭✭✭JTMan

Vaccinations of 12-15 year olds in the US are expected to start in the first half of May according to a CDC member. FDA approval in the "next week or so" then CDC approval.

Hopefully the EMA are not far after the FDA/CDC and the hopefully the Irish government are preparing for a pfizer rollout to 12-15 year olds in July.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

JTMan wrote: »
    Vaccinations of 12-15 year olds in the US are expected to start in the first half of May according to a CDC member. FDA approval in the "next week or so" then CDC approval.

Hopefully the EMA are not far after the FDA/CDC and the hopefully the Irish government are preparing for a pfizer rollout to 12-15 year olds in July.

Good news. I hope you are right for Ireland. Our youngest will be 12 in June - would be great to have all of us vaccinated by end of Summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Strazdas wrote: »
    Isn't there a get out clause of "if no other vaccine available" for J & J? People barely even noticed this today but it might be significant. Let's say they tear through the over 50s in May with the four vaccines and then open the portal to the 49-45 year olds. At that point, if there are not sufficient vaccines available but they have surplus stock of J & J, it seems they have the green light to administer it.
    In theory it's all four but in reality it looks more like one and a very small bit. Based on NIAC's advice AZ and J&J have to be used regardless. There certainly will be no tearing through the over 50s with what might come from J&J in May and some may be waiting well into June. The under 50s will only have one vaccine for a huge cohort so those dates are very much up in the air.

SusanC10 wrote: »
    Good news. I hope you are right for Ireland. Our youngest will be 12 in June - would be great to have all of us vaccinated by end of Summer.
    It's more likely to be school time when they start on it, even if approved, as the rest of the summer will be taken up with second doses for adults.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,348 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    Mark Coughlan of Prime time, likelihood of vaccine targets being met by end of June.

https://www.rte.ie/news/primetime/2021/0427/1212479-vaccine-rollout-niac-advice-johnson-and-johnson/

There is another option, research is showing that the mRNA vaccines dont have to be 4 weeks apart, why not make them 6 or maybe 8 weeks, offer them them to all alongside the J&J (for the over 50's) and donate the remaining AZ and J&J doses to other countries, overall rollout time would not be majorly affected or maybe be faster overall and fairer to the over 50's(nobody has to wait 12 weeks to be fully vaccinated or forced to take the J&J) .

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Supercell wrote: »
    There is another option, research is showing that the mRNA vaccines dont have to be 4 weeks apart, why not make them 6 or maybe 8 weeks, offer them them to all alongside the J&J (for the over 50's) and donate the remaining AZ and J&J doses to other countries, overall rollout time would not be majorly affected or maybe be faster overall and fairer (nobody has to wait 12 weeks to be fully vaccinated or forced to take the J&J) to the over 50's.
    They've already decided not to widen it.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/government-decides-not-to-widen-four-week-gap-between-vaccine-doses-1.4549267

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

is_that_so wrote: »
    It's more likely to be school time when they start on it, even if approved, as the rest of the summer will be taken up with second doses for adults.

That probably makes sense actually - logistically easier too - to do it at the Schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,348 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

is_that_so wrote: »

Yes I saw that, that was really a reply to the rte article which concluded there was no other option but to vaccinate the under 50's with the mRNA vaccines and force the over 50's to wait for the J&J or AZ.
    We do have the luxury of choice , we don't have to be small minded and take the attitude that we should take whatever we are given and be thankful, we are a first world country , part of the the biggest economic group of countries in the world (the EU) we need to stop thinking like small potato farmers behoved to a better class, the Danish don't think like that, why should we?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Supercell wrote: »
    Yes I saw that, that was really a reply to the rte article which concluded there was no other option but to vaccine the under 50's with the mRNA vaccines and force the over 50's to wait for the J&J.
    We do have the luxury of choice , we don't have to be small minded and take the attitude that we should take whatever we are given and be thankful, we are a first world country , part of the the biggest economic group of countries in the world (the EU) we need to stop thinking we have to take whatever we are given, the danish don't think like that, why should we?
    If we want the vaccination programme to stay on track it may be the only way. Yes we do have plenty of options but have all those choices been wise? NIAC's stance on some vaccines is clearly flexible as the abundance of caution is now for the over 50s! There's also the issue of how the need for an accelerated programme may go against the overall stated HSE aim of age first and this random rule making and changing is perplexing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Good analysis

Impossible to get right

We all know what's going to happen. 50-59 year olds won't be asked to wait (imagine the outrage!) and so will get Pfizer and whatever AZ/J&J come in in the meantime. Come June 400k+ doses of J&J will be delivered that no one can use and they will be sold to other countries with no ridiculous restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Elessar wrote: »
    We all know what's going to happen. 50-59 year olds won't be asked to wait (imagine the outrage!) and so will get Pfizer and whatever AZ/J&J come in in the meantime. Come June 400k+ doses of J&J will be delivered that no one can use and they will be sold to other countries with no ridiculous restrictions.

More likely will do what it did with AZ and decide after 4 weeks that they can lower the threshold for J&J by 10 years....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭sd1999

Honestly, I think the provision that J&J can be used “if no other vaccine is available” will prevent it going to waste. That stipulation is very loose and open to interpretation and I imagine a lot of people would jump at the option to only need one dose.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement