Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

funnydoggy wrote: »
    I'm sure we'd all get along really well offline. For the drinkers, I'll buy the first round. For the non-drinkers, I'll buy the britvic 55 and we'll all look back and exhale :-)

I've given up drinking, there's a 1 in a million chance that I might fall over and die after that pint. I don't like those odds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

I've given up drinking, there's a 1 in a million chance that I might fall over and die after that pint. I don't like those odds.

Can I offer you an egg in this tryin' time?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,590 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Good stuff.

Did he register on the portal if you don't mind me asking ?

Trying to get a picture of what it's looking like across the country. City west for example seem to be flying through the age groups

Relatives down the country being done today and tomorrow, early sixties no underlying conditions .
    Think that's pretty fast as they only registered at the weekend .

• Registered Users Posts: 16,113 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Good stuff.

Trying to get a picture of what it's looking like across the country. City west for example seem to be flying through the age groups

Friends in Waterford ( 66 ) registered on the right day . Only got a text today for Sunday coming

I'm sure we'd all get along really well offline. For the drinkers, I'll buy the first round. For the non-drinkers, I'll buy the britvic 55 and we'll all look back and exhale :-)

A large ( very ) gin and tonic, for me please :pac:

• Advertisement

Goldengirl wrote: »
    A large ( very ) gin and tonic, for me please :pac:

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,208 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Friends in Waterford ( 66 ) registered on the right day . Only got a text today for Sunday coming

Yeah my father registered on the Monday for 65 year olds, nothing yet. Think the Aviva will be our nearest MVC

Goldengirl wrote: »
    Relatives down the country being done today and tomorrow, early sixties no underlying conditions .
    Think that's pretty fast as they only registered at the weekend .

It's a mixed picture across the country really

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Good stuff.

Yeah he did

He's 65

Got his in City Hall Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Jane1012 wrote: »
    That’s not actually the case though, the uk was very hesitant giving the vaccine to pregnant women and very few received it. I’m on a lot of uk discussion boards and most were up until recently advised against vaccination. Of those who did receive it, were mainly healthcare workers do got Pfizer. The UK only recently changed their strategy with regards to vaccinating pregnant women with the added caveat that an MRNA vaccine was recommended. I’m aware that my example is very specific to pregnant women but to say thousands of pregnant women got AZ in the UK is false.

However still on a broader spectrum, I don’t think anyone especially older cohorts who we deem vulnerable should be pushed in to a corner to be given a specific vaccine that they are very scared of. Why not open it up and see if people volunteer to skip the Q (probably by a whole 6/8 weeks) to get AZ, if they do it could make a big difference to some very scared elderly people,

There was plenty of women who got AZ early doors though, and I think I heard they were told to get second dose (I know one person in this very situation).

On your 2nd point, if people are scared of a vaccine then they clearly don't understand how safe they are. What do you think people are actually scared of?

The big mistake was NIAC dithering and creating panic where there was no need for it

• Advertisement

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Yeah he did

He's 65

Got his in City Hall Cork

Good stuff. Hoping we'll hear this week

Janssen is 100% effective against severe disease, what else do you want

Thought it was 85%.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Fingers crossed

Yeah my father registered on the Monday for 65 year olds, nothing yet. Think the Aviva will be our nearest MVC

Fingers crossed for ye, genuinely hope ye hear something soon.

Fingers crossed for ye, genuinely hope ye hear something soon.

Yeah no surprise to be honest. The Aviva would be covering a pretty large area

• Registered Users Posts: 16,113 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

The Helix seem to be slow . Friends ( 68) only being done tomorrow .
    From all my friends who registered online those going to City West got appointments first .

Best of luck for your dad, Stephen .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

You misunderstand my point.

Its that as we go past 80% first doses, the final 20% are the harder to get to, those with mental health issues, those who cannot be vaccinated for health reasons, the anti-vaxxers, the lazy, etc will make up a not insignificant portion of that group. But in essence, that 20% will benefit from the protection already given to the 80% because there is strong evidence that the vaccines significantly prevent transmission. By delaying 2nd doses to the 80% to catch up the 20% you run the risk that more people remain at increased risk unnecessarily, and counter intuitively putting those un-vaccinated or who cannot be vaccinated at increased risk. The vaccines have a two dose regime for a reason. Its not just for the extra few %. We know with lots of vaccines that without the booster, immunity can wane over time. The second doses "fixes" long term immunity.

I appreciate your logic, but in this case, significant protection is provided with one dose - it seems like that extends to transmission when looking at the UK's progress so far. The marginal gain in having a smaller number more fully protected, appears to be lower and less able to suppress the R0 rate of the virus in the population than if a larger number of people received one dose (based on the most to-date data I've seen on their effectiveness).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭Russman

Yeah no surprise to be honest. The Aviva would be covering a pretty large area

Fwiw, my boss is 67 and registered on the Saturday when it opened for that age. He got a call yesterday evening and had his shot in the Aviva this afternoon. I’d say your dad should hear something v soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭Russman

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    The Helix seem to be slow . Friends ( 68) only being done tomorrow .
    From all my friends who registered online those going to City West got appointments first .

Citywest seem to be very quick alright. My mother & 3 of her friends (all 69) registered on the Thursday the portal opened and had their jabs the following Tuesday and Wednesday in Citywest. Another friend of theirs, also 69, and ironically the oldest of them, registered by phone as opposed to the portal also on the Thursday, and only had her shot yesterday in Citywest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

I see that more than half of americans have had at least their first shot, however the surging rate of people seeking out vaccines has begun to taper.

Russman wrote: »
    Fwiw, my boss is 67 and registered on the Saturday when it opened for that age. He got a call yesterday evening and had his shot in the Aviva this afternoon. I’d say your dad should hear something v soon.

Good to hear, fingers crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Akabusi

Both my folks registered (69 & 68) when it opened for them but haven't heard anything yet. Be 2 weeks on Thursday from when my Father registered. It's great to hear some centre's are flying through the groups but what could the explanation be for such a disparity depending where you live?

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Jane1012

Akabusi wrote: »
    Both my folks registered (69 & 68) when it opened for them but haven't heard anything yet. Be 2 weeks on Thursday from when my Father registered. It's great to hear some centre's are flying through the groups but what could the explanation be for such a disparity depending where you live?

Are they north Dublin City by any chance? My parents are the same. Heard nothing at all yet. I have assumed it’s down to waiting for croke park to open as a MVC

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

What sort of numbers are we expecting for Monday when they get released tomorrow AM?

Up at Thurs/Fri 40K or to drop back?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭bikeman1

My Dad received his 3rd text this morning offering him a Covid vaccine (dose 1). He got his vaccine 10 days ago when first offered in the Cohort 4.

How does this happen? He does have a couple of conditions, but surely there is a cross check before issuing out an appointment? We thought it was an error when the second one came out, but three offers in about 14 days? He did reply no immediately to hopefully give someone the slot they had assigned him in error twice.

Another question coming to my mind, are they over counting the vulnerable? He could be on three lists but is actually only one person. Might be an unusual scenario? Anyone else get two or more vaccine offers?

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭noplacehere

bikeman1 wrote: »
    My Dad received his 3rd text this morning offering him a Covid vaccine (dose 1). He got his vaccine 10 days ago when first offered in the Cohort 4.

How does this happen? He does have a couple of conditions, but surely there is a cross check before issuing out an appointment? We thought it was an error when the second one came out, but three offers in about 14 days? He did reply no immediately to hopefully give someone the slot they had assigned him in error twice.

Another question coming to my mind, are they over counting the vulnerable? He could be on three lists but is actually only one person. Might be an unusual scenario? Anyone else get two or more vaccine offers?

No cross checks in my experience. I had three invites for tests in the end, two texts, one phone call from GP. Unfortunately I took the first, if I had waited I would have got pfizer last week and been fully vaccinated way earlier. Having said that I did happily dance up for the vaccination after the fear levels for the last year.

My husband got no contacts at all through the multiple clinics he attends in hospital despite meeting the criteria but thankfully is finally being done by the GP tomorrow

One person I know who is very high risk has now had 5 different invitations for a vaccine. Makes no sense!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Akabusi

Jane1012 wrote: »
    Are they north Dublin City by any chance? My parents are the same. Heard nothing at all yet. I have assumed it’s down to waiting for croke park to open as a MVC

Cavan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭crossman47

bikeman1 wrote: »

I'd say they are and, more generally, vastly over counting waiting lists for the same reason. I've said it here a few times but if Covid does not make people realise a unique ID for all transactions with government is vital then nothing will.

Let the civil liberties people who are afraid of Big Brother take a running jump.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭Pretzill

The OH got his first AZ today all went smoothly the centre was a hub of activity with lots of helpful people there and an air of positivity - looking forward to getting mine when they reach my cohort - dare I dream of travel this autumn?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement