Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Margaret Cash steals €300 worth of clothes from Penneys and aftermath/etc!

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

tuxy wrote: »
    Yes that was where the garda's tie was grabbed. The dog was killed before this incident.

Sounds like the guard says to get him off me before the shot ?

Could be the dog ? Maybe the Gentleman seen trying to hit the man in the van ?

Either way the guard has drawn his gun as he deemed it nessecery In the situation , the last thing most sane law abiding people would try to do is grab the armed guard by the tie as he may feel you are trying to pull him to the ground , this could lead to him being disarmed and in fear for his life, he could discharge his weapon.

Maybe it was the dog ? That would seem the most logical thing because surely most folks wouldn’t feel they are above the law and feel no need to follow the guards instructions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Yeah hard to say. I just don't see or hear the dog in the video even when it pans back. I don't think someone shot in the foot would be that quick to drag a dead dog away.

Of course it's best not to speculation based on shaky video footage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Sounds like the guard says to get him off me before the shot ?

Could be the dog ? Maybe the Gentleman seen trying to hit the man in the van ?

Either way the guard has drawn his gun as he deemed it nessecery In the situation , the last thing most sane law abiding people would try to do is grab the armed guard by the tie as he may feel you are trying to pull him to the ground , this could lead to him being disarmed and in fear for his life, he could discharge his weapon.

Maybe it was the dog ? That would seem the most logical thing because surely most folks wouldn’t feel they are above the law and feel no need to follow the guards instructions

Yea, I reckon the dog is dead at this stage.
    No sound of barking.
    The cop looks to be trying to defend the chap in the van from the gentleman.
    Why anyone would grab the tie of a cop holding a gun is beyond me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭gwalk

We're talking about certain aspects of traveler culture here, not prison :rolleyes:

so culture excuses paedophilia?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

gwalk wrote: »
    so culture excuses paedophilia?
    Is marrying your 16 year old cousin paedophilia?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭gwalk

Edgware wrote: »
    Is marrying your 16 year old cousin paedophilia?

15*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

If that's all you've said, then certainly not. Throughout this thread folk have implied it's the Catholic religion is responsible for how she behaves.

Without trolling through 100+ pages of sh1t. If you weren't one then fine.

Going by what you've said above we should be in agreement

You wouldnt mind linking any such post?

What you'll find are many references to travellers' religious beliefs, and how hypocritical they are to profess a strong faith where violence, theft and murder are anathema, yet where said Christian values are so lacking in their behaviour. I cant recall anyone saying they behave as they do because they are Catholic.

Any criticism of the Catholic aspect of their "culture" is their propensity for large families, which they are generally unable to support by their own means. But again its in the context of their overall behaviour in that if they were actual proper law abiding Catholics/Christians, there would be no issues!

The issue isnt her faith. Its her hypocrisy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭xi5yvm0owc1s2b

Throughout this thread folk have implied it's the Catholic religion is responsible for how she behaves.

No, they haven't.

They have suggested only that the Catholic teaching on contraception plays a role in the large families that Traveller women tend to have.

However, nobody has suggested a connection between Catholicism and other aspects of her behavior.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Yea, I reckon the dog is dead at this stage.
    No sound of barking.
    The cop looks to be trying to defend the chap in the van from the gentleman.
    Why anyone would grab the tie of a cop holding a gun is beyond me.

The "gentleman"

Well I lolled.

goose2005 wrote: »
    she must have been at least 16, which was legal in NI up until recently

Cash has repeatedly told the media that she got married at 15.
    "I got married at 15," she said. "That's when I had my own family then. [As a child] my aunty fostered me and I class her kids as my own brothers and sisters.

The Independent reports the same thing:
    Ms Cash says she was 15 when she got married and spent her childhood being raised by her aunt in caravans.

In the Facebook post above, she says that she had been with her husband for 14 years. She's 28 at present and he's 33, so that would suggest she was going out with him when she was 14 and he was 19.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

...In the Facebook post above, she says that she had been with her husband for 14 years. She's 28 at present and he's 33, so that would suggest she was going out with him when she was 14 and he was 19.

Displaying truly admirable restraint.

Displaying truly admirable restraint.

Honestly, the more I read about her, the more I actually feel sorry for her.

Raised by an aunt in a caravan, taken out of school at 12, involved with a 19-year-old when she was 14, married at 15, pregnant at 16.

Yes, she has made a lot of bad choices and stupid decisions, but she never had much of a chance in life, given the culture in which she was raised.

The state should be trying to put an end to this culture, but instead we have politicians falling all over themselves about its "unique traditions."

Any culture that tries to turn girls into illiterate child brides and baby-making machines has no place in Ireland in 2018. That's would be the genuinely progressive stance to take here, as opposed to shouting "racism" every time anyone criticizes Traveller culture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭hurler32

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/im-a-god-fearing-man-i-wouldnt-tell-lies-man-tells-court-after-judge-throws-out-compensation-claim-37589953.html

Another traveller involved in numerous personal injury claims over the years . Finally a judge who throws out one of his claims . All these travellers seem to end up crashing into each other ? Is it any wonder Ireland’s insurance premiums are the highest in Europe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

Any culture that tries to turn girls into illiterate child brides and baby-making machines has no place in Ireland in 2018. That's would be the genuinely progressive stance to take here, as opposed to shouting "racism" every time anyone criticizes Traveller culture.

I'm always puzzled by the fact that the very people who pretend to support human rights, and especially women's rights, always seem to be the ones who cheerlead for "cultures" that deny human rights, and especially deny women's rights. It's almost as if they don't give a damn about those rights at all, but instead want to nurture "cultures" that they can feel superior to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,383 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Honestly, the more I read about her, the more I actually feel sorry for her.

Raised by an aunt in a caravan, taken out of school at 12, involved with a 19-year-old when she was 14, married at 15, pregnant at 16.

Yes, she has made a lot of bad choices and stupid decisions, but she never had much of a chance in life, given the culture in which she was raised.

The state should be trying to put an end to this culture, but instead we have politicians falling all over themselves about its "unique traditions."

100% agree with this.

Have been banging this drum from the start in relation to Traveller culture. Leadership is needed from the likes of Pavee Point on this issue.

It is like addiction therapy, the patient has to admit to the problem before it can be cured successfully. Until the problems of Traveller culture are fully accepted and outed by the leadership of the Travelling community, and their supporters, the problem will not go away.

It is not just pressure on the 14 and 15-year old girls to marry, there is pressure on the young adult men to settle down with them in hetrosexual relationships, no matter what sexual orientation they have, and no matter how mature and ready they are for marriage. It is a form of institutionalised child abuse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

In fairness there are a few things the settled community could learn from the traveller community.

1) The family unit comes first - and is it is even stronger bond as it is not 'manufactured'

2) The large family unit looks after its own - through thick and thin

3) The older people in the traveller community are treated with respect.

All old values which I feel are slowly dying for the sake of 'modern Ireland' and so called 'progress'.

People seem to forget the positive points in the rest of the noise.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

blanch152 wrote: »
    100% agree with this.

Have been banging this drum from the start in relation to Traveller culture. Leadership is needed from the likes of Pavee Point on this issue.

It is like addiction therapy, the patient has to admit to the problem before it can be cured successfully. Until the problems of Traveller culture are fully accepted and outed by the leadership of the Travelling community, and their supporters, the problem will not go away.

It is not just pressure on the 14 and 15-year old girls to marry, there is pressure on the young adult men to settle down with them in hetrosexual relationships, no matter what sexual orientation they have, and no matter how mature and ready they are for marriage. It is a form of institutionalised child abuse.

Good luck with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,467 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

In fairness there are a few things the settled community could learn from the traveller community.

1) The family unit comes first - and is it is even stronger bond as it is not 'manufactured'

All old values which I feel are slowly dying for the sake of 'modern Ireland' and so called 'progress'.

if you don't mind me saying while you're grinding that axe into oblivion that that's a serious load of groundless sh!t..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭cloudy90210

Can she stop having so many kids?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,531 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

what about treating older people not in the traveling community with respect instead of putting them in fear of their life while robbing them?

• Advertisement

1) Yes, the family unit comes first, here is your second cousin, you're marrying him next week

2) Yes, the large family unit looks after its own through thick and thin, let's get the family of that Garda who arrested young Johnny last week

3) "The life expectancy of a male Traveller is currently 61.7 years, which is 15.1 years less than men in the general population". What old people?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Can you explain what you mean by manufactured, please?

what about treating older people not in the traveling community with respect instead of putting them in fear of their life while robbing them?

I thought this thread did not like whataboutery? :D

I just pointed out positive aspects of traveller culture.
    But it does not fit the whataboutery agenda when it suits others to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Can she stop having so many kids?

No, it's part of her culture.

Positive effects for them, perhaps. what positive effects do they have on those outside the traveling communit?

Its not whataboutery, you can't praise them for treating their elderly with respect when they are notorious for terrorizing, intimidating and tormenting the elderly in the settled community.
    The majority of the elderly in the "settled" community is terrified of them.

SusieBlue wrote: »
    Can you explain what you mean by manufactured, please?

I think you know exactly what I mean, the non-traveller community are more inclined to have 2.5 kids.

Two parents working to pay for someone else (a creche) to bring up thier kids.
    Then mostly only get 'quality time' at weekends.
    They are 'part-time parents' with full time jobs.
    But that is the way society at large in Ireland has gone now and it is viewed as the norm.

They were not positive aspects of traveller culture.

The traveller notion of family is based around a purely heterosexual model, in many ways nearly an identikit replica of the Catholic family morality. Such a model is no longer considered by any decent society to be positive.

I think you know exactly what I mean, the non-traveller community are more inclined to have 2.5 kids.

But that is the way society at large in Ireland has gone now and it is viewed as the norm

and?

have you a specific problem with law abiding working citizens?

I fear what you mean by 'manufactured' is couples taking responsibility for their own reproduction and using birth control... I'd say you're coming from a very dated and defunct Catholic family 'planning' background where your direction came from the local parish priest

• Advertisement

But that is the way society at large has gone now and it is viewed as the norm.

If it is the way that society at large has gone then it IS the norm. that is how we define what the norm is. They also only have so few kids because they have to pay for them. Kids are expensive. Travelers are not aware of this because they get the state to pay for them. I also loved how you put quality time in quotes. What are travelers doing during their quality time with their kids? It certainly is not spent educating them how to be decent members of society.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

And that makes up for what they do to the rest of the aged population ??????

blanch152 wrote: »
    They were not positive aspects of traveller culture.

The traveller notion of family is based around a purely heterosexual model, in many ways nearly an identikit replica of the Catholic family morality. Such a model is no longer considered by any decent society to be positive.

You see that is your agenda your viewpoint.
    I do not consider myself a Catholic but you are just refusing to see positive aspects of the religion.
    Which in fairness to them are rarely highlighted it is much easier to stick with the narrative that they are backward etc etc.
    It is more then a bit blinkered.

Why are family bonds in Traveller culture any stronger or less "manufactured" than family bonds among settled people? You seem to be proposing that Traveller family bonds are somehow more authentic than settled people's family bonds. Why? Any evidence for this?

That tradition of extended family solidarity extends to a tradition of violent feuding with rival families as well as a history of consanguineous marriage that creates a host of health problems.

Like Bernard McGliney, a 63-year-old grandfather gunned down by his own nephew at a family wedding?

Nice pair of rose-tinted glasses you've got there. :)

But seriously ... it takes some contortion of reality to represent Travellers as the preservers of the "old values" that are being lost in modern Ireland.

Do the "old values" include disregard for education, organized crime, tax evasion, wrecking pubs and hotels, violent feuding, bare-knuckle brawling, marrying off 16-year-old girls to their cousins so they can give birth to a 7-a-side football team by their mid-20s, pulling publicity stunts in the media in pursuit of a free "foreva home," and then rejecting said foreva home if it isn't close to one's mother's grave or doesn't have a stable for one's horses? How about living in 100,000-euro camper vans while claiming social welfare, or beating the crap out of amateur football referees?

These are the kinds of "values" that people see on show from the Travelling community. They are nothing to wax lyrical about.

And that makes up for what they do to the rest of the aged population ??????

Firstly, I know the criminal element of the traveller community is higher then the non-traveller population.
    You are implying there that 100% of travellers engage/enraged in crime.
    At least 85% do not so that is unfair on the law abiding travellers.

This is where I see it as wrong that all travellers are seen as one great big crime gang by non-travellers.
    What I do see as wrong though is that traveller representatives rarely admonish other travellers for illegal behavior.

Now you are attacking working parents for having "manufactured" relationships with their children, and being "part-time parents," all while praising Travellers for maintaining the "old values."

Who do you think pays for the Traveller lifestyle? Where do you think Margaret Cash's €50,000 a year in welfare comes from? Who will be providing her with her "foreva home" in an area of her choosing?

It all comes out of the pockets of the same working taxpayers you're scorning here.

• Advertisement

Firstly, I know the criminal element of the traveller community is higher then the non-traveller population.

This is where I see it as wrong that all travellers are seen as one great big crime gang by non-travellers.
    What I do see as wrong though is that traveller representatives rarely admonish other travellers for illegal behavior.

is that true?

Why are family bonds in Traveller culture any stronger or less "manufactured" than family bonds among settled people? You seem to be proposing that Traveller family bonds are somehow more authentic than settled people's family bonds. Why? Any evidence for this?

That tradition of extended family solidarity extends to a tradition of violent feuding with rival families as well as a history of consanguineous marriage that creates a host of health problems.

Like Bernard McGliney, a 63-year-old grandfather gunned down by his own nephew at a family wedding?

Nice pair of rose-tinted glasses you've got there. :)

But seriously ... it takes some contortion of reality to represent Travellers as the preservers of the "old values" that are being lost in modern Ireland.

Do the "old values" include disregard for education, organized crime, tax evasion, wrecking pubs and hotels, violent feuding, bare-knuckle brawling, marrying off 16-year-old girls to their cousins so they can give birth to a 7-a-side football team by their mid-20s, pulling publicity stunts in the media in pursuit of a free "foreva home," and then rejecting said foreva home if it isn't close to one's mother's grave or doesn't have a stable for one's horses? How about living in 100,000-euro camper vans while claiming social welfare, or beating the crap out of amateur football referees?

These are the kinds of "values" that people see on show from the Travelling community. They are nothing to wax lyrical about.

There is crime in all communities, I will not list the number of murders in Ireland, gang violence caused by non-travellers etc etc.
    Because that is the going down the same route as this 'whataboutery' as I was chastised for when it suited.

There are travellers who stick to good solid principles/values and there are travellers who do not.
    Simple as that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

So how many of that 85% (I assume you have a source for that figure?) of what you describe as "law abiding" members of the ethnical group are the beneficiaries of the crimes carried out by others?

Not saying you are right or wrong, but do you have a basis for this figure?

lawred2 wrote: »
    is that true?

When you look at the crime figures it is someone else quoted around 15% of travllers are involved in crime which is way higher then the settled community etc etc.
    Don't have the exact figure - somewhere on this thread.
    But you get my point.

• Advertisement

But that is the way society at large in Ireland has gone now and it is viewed as the norm.

Having 7/8/9+ kids you cannot afford and cannot look after is something NO ONE should aspire.
    It isn't in the best interests of the children who are born into those situations and it isn't in the best interest of society, who have to pay for it.

Its actually extremely disappointing to see someone criticise and demean the average working person in this country, I'm sure the vast majority of them would prefer to work fewer hours and see more of their children but unfortunately, if we all lived like travellers with our hand out the whole time, the entire country would collapse.

The children in these "manufactured" families will most likely finish their education and be future members of the work force, and their taxes will pay for Margarets children to embrace their culture, they'll be able to break the law, sit on their arses, and marry their cousins.
    Instead of judging them you should be grateful that there are still people out there raising their children with morals and respect for the law.

Now you are attacking working parents for having "manufactured" relationships with their children, and being "part-time parents," all while praising Travellers for maintaining the "old values."

Who do you think pays for the Traveller lifestyle? Where do you think Margaret Cash's €50,000 a year in welfare comes from? Who will be providing her with her "foreva home" in an area of her choosing?

It all comes out of the pockets of the same working taxpayers you're scorning here.

Working taxpayers they may be.
    And I know well thier taxes pay for the likes of Cash.
    But those working parents are in reality 'part time parents'.
    Which cannot be accused of Cash for all her other obvious faults.

There is crime in all communities

Ah, the "but settled people do it too" defence.

There is far more crime emanating from Traveller communities. How else do you explain the fact that 0.6 percent of the population is so consistently in the news for their criminal activity?

Approximately one Irishman in every 200 is a Traveller, but approximately one male prisoner in every 10 is a Traveller.

Do you not see the problem here?

what's with the asshole act?

part time parents?

cop on to yourself

and yet these "part time parents" seem to be doing a much better job than the full timers like Cash if you look at the number who complete school, have jobs and dont get involved in crime.

Margaret Cash is a better parent than working parents?

Come off it. That is by far the stupidest argument made in defending the woman.

Robbing Pennys is a better example for your kids than holding down a job?
    Posting vile insults about their father on Facebook is better than both parents respecting each other?
    Getting evicted from accommodation is better than providing a steady roof over their heads?

Are you in anyway serious?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Working parents are 'part time parents'

Wow!!

That's some sentiment

The likes of Cash should be happy that these parents are getting up in the morning, kissing their kids goodbye, and heading off to their jobs. Otherwise there would be no €50,000 a year for her and no free foreva home.

Honestly, what do you think the country would be like if everyone tried to live like Margaret Cash?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,105 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

You are saying the Ms Cash is a better parent then working law abiding people ?

You’re off your head!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

The likes of Cash should be happy that these parents are getting up in the morning, kissing their kids goodbye, and heading off to their jobs. Otherwise there would be no €50,000 a year for her and no free foreva home.

Honestly, what do you think the country would be like if everyone tried to live like Margaret Cash?

Many having to commute hours to work as they had to buy where they could afford

Some contrast to Cash needing her home forever in Tallaght

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement