Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Margaret Cash steals €300 worth of clothes from Penneys and aftermath/etc!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Gravelly wrote: »
    Was just about to ask the same. Hadn't heard any links to travellers in that incident until reading it here. Anyone know any more?

The people involved are from a very well known family who are involved in a long-running feud in Mullingar. The leader of the incident is on bail for very serious charges from another incident.
    They are just scumbags
    Not travellers

After what happened the ref that sent off the traveller last week, I wouldn't fancy reffing one of their matches.
    nice_guy80 wrote: »
    That's actually not true
    Yeah, I just rad about it today after googling the team.
    All 4 involved in the attack on the ref were travellers.

https://extra.ie/2018/11/17/news/irish-news/soccer-referee-attack-on-bail-assault

nice_guy80, care to respond? You seemed very sure of yourself....
    Some of us have to work and don't have time to get near a phone all day

If you know Mullingar you know there are two soccer clubs - Mullingar Athletic and Town.
    The latter would always be known as the rougher club due to where their pitch is located and their intake of players

How did you confirm they were travellers?

Ok, after finding out the actual names of these lads I'm going to have to say that yes the people involved are travellers and scumbags, a father and two sons.
    Great to see standards of behaviour and their culture being passed on.

I've played against that club many times in the past and never had a problem with the club, which is located in a very deprived area (even for mullingar)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

They are just scumbags
    Not travellers

Nope. Settled travellers. Well known family.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,272 ✭✭✭AllForIt

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    I don't agree with RTE's usual handling of reporting but in this case I reckon the haven't named those involved due to an ongoing Garda investigation

I'd love to know why these ppl whether they are travelers or not have not already been arrested and charged with assault. What could possibly be the delay? It's not like they don't know they are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

AllForIt wrote: »
    I'd love to know why these ppl whether they are travelers or not have not already been arrested and charged with assault. What could possibly be the delay? It's not like they don't know they are.

I heard today they were banned from playing for 40 years but surely there must be criminal charges as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Ok, after finding out the actual names of these lads I'm going to have to say that yes the people involved are travellers and scumbags, a father and two sons.

I've played against that club many times in the past and never had a problem with the club, which is located in a very deprived area (even for mullingar)

Maybe the LLS can invite on the referee that was attacked when he gets out of hospital and they can invite travellers into the audience to discuss what happened and then later have a discussion about the gang violence in Drogheda and...... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,272 ✭✭✭AllForIt

BBFAN wrote: »
    I heard today they were banned from playing for 40 years but surely there must be criminal charges as well?

Well yes exactly. Can't see what the delay is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭DavidLyons_

Deary me. You were quite positive and dismissive before. Twice, in fact. Maybe you should apologise to Gravelly whose correct and factual information you called “not true” or lies.

Also what’s with the earlier “some of us have to work”comment?? We all have to work. Do you think it makes you special?? What exactly was your reason for saying that??

Deary me. You were quite positive and dismissive before. Twice, in fact. Maybe you should apologise to Gravelly whose correct and factual information you called “not true” or lies.

Also what’s with the earlier “some of us have to work”comment?? We all have to work. Do you think it makes you special?? What exactly was your reason for saying that??

as some posters were getting ratty about a lack of a response from me

as I said above, my information about the lads involved was wrong. I had the names wrong so I'm happy to correct that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭Odelay

as some posters were getting ratty about a lack of a response from me

as I said above, my information about the lads involved was wrong. I had the names wrong so I'm happy to correct that.

Well you put your hands up when you got it wrong, fair play. Many others would have hidden.

Why are the names not being made public

this fear from the media of not wanting to highlight what is a serious issue with the travelling community.

Ivan Yates drew out that it was traveller gangs that were warring with each other in Drogheda, yet not one else will mention this, as well as that it was travellers that attacked the referee in Mullingar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

this fear from the media of not wanting to highlight what is a serious issue with the travelling community.

Ivan Yates drew out that it was traveller gangs that were warring with each other in Drogheda, yet not one else will mention this, as well as that it was travellers that attacked the referee in Mullingar

And then the father and daughter jailed yesterday for shooting the 6 month old girl with a shotgun.

Not a good week for the traveller reputation:)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,993 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Didn't know this, only heard that one of those banned for 40 years from football, was previously banned.

So if they are travellers, those bans mean nothing. Do we really expect travellers to respect the ban?

Yeah there has definitely been a move in the media to stop naming criminals as 'travellers' when reporting on court cases or violence. Fear of offending?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

NIMAN wrote: »
    Didn't know this, only heard that one of those banned for 40 years from football, was previously banned.

So if they are travellers, those bans mean nothing. Do we really expect travellers to respect the ban?

Yeah there has definitely been a move in the media to stop naming criminals as 'travellers' when reporting on court cases or violence. Fear of offending?

I also didn't realise they were travellers, is this why the chap who was assaulted said he 'forgives' them? Is it fear of a further attack if it's pursued?

That says everything about the travellers. Wonder if Tubridy will invite the referee onto his show and have some Pavee Point members in the audience to harass him??

And then the father and daughter jailed yesterday for shooting the 6 month old girl with a shotgun.

And don't forget the poor accident prone fella in Limerick ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

And don't forget the poor accident prone fella in Limerick ;)

Hope that chap didn't ready the papers this week (if he can read), he might have put his neck out......

I also didn't realise they were travellers, is this why the chap who was assaulted said he 'forgives' them? Is it fear of a further attack if it's pursued?

That says everything about the travellers. Wonder if Tubridy will invite the referee onto his show and have some Pavee Point members in the audience to harass him??

Not a hope, does not suit the RTE media agenda, the negative stuff is not talked about.

When you have to piece together from names or social media as to who is actually committing crimes, its a sad state of affairs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,574 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Only 5 years for firing a shotgun at 3 people - including a minor holding a baby. Ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭Quandary

Only 5 years for firing a shotgun at 3 people - including a minor holding a baby. Ridiculous.

Some of the sentencing in this country is a complete joke and aside from occasional outrages there seems to be no political will to change the legal structures that allow this to continue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

It’s a wonder pavee point weren’t calling for the sentence to be suspended in the basis he was only engaging in cultural activities.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,993 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

It’s a wonder pavee point weren’t calling for the sentence to be suspended in the basis he was only engaging in cultural activities.

...and why are Pavee Point never asked by The Last Word, or Drive Time or whoever, to come on air after such serious incidents and explain them away?

They get the airtime when it suits them, but are never challenged when they should be. Like the feud in Drogheda.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,574 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

...and why are Pavee Point never asked by The Last Word, or Drive Time or whoever, to come on air after such serious incidents and explain them away?

They get the airtime when it suits them, but are never challenged when they should be. Like the feud in Drogheda.

Hopefully they'll be asked for comment when the investigation into the Munster paedophile ring concludes.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,416 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Now they want to be an ethnic group of settled people!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2239674716289515&set=p.2239674716289515&type=3&theater

“PROTEST MARCH FOR TRAVLERS OF IRELAND IN DUBLIN ON THE 2nd DECEMBER 2018

PADDY DOHERTY AND MYSELF ARE CURRENTLY ORGANISING A PROTEST MARCH AGAINST Mr PETER CASEY AND ALSO WE WANT TO GET IT THROUGH TO WHOEVER THAT IT MAY CONCERN THAT TRAVLERS WANT TO BE MADE AN ETHNIC GROUP OF SETTLED PEOPLE THROUGH LAW , WERE NO DIFFERENT THEN MUSLIMS , ASIANS OR BLACKS OR AFRO OR CARIBBEAN OR WHATEVER CREED OR CULTURE THERE IS OUT THERE AND PUBLIC OR AS WE SAY COUNTRY PEOPLE CAN’T BE ABUSIVE OR DISCRIMINATING AGAINST THEM SO WHY SHOULD ANYONE ELSE BE DISCRIMINATING AGAINST OUR TRAVLER COMMUNITY , ITS NO GOOD HAVING ONE LAW FOR ONE COMMUNITY AND NOTHING FOR ANOTHER AND WE WANT YOU TO LISTEN TO TRAVLERS AND MAKE OUR COMMUNITY A ETHNIC GROUP OF PEOPLE THROUGH LAW , AND IM NOT BEING RACIST WHAT IM GOING TO SAY NOW BUT IF WE OR ANYONE ELSE CALLED A MEMBER FROM THE BLACK COMMUNITY A NAME OR CALLED SOMEONE A PAKI OR ANYTHING ELSE WE WOULD GET ARRESTED FOR THAT SO WHY DO WE HAVE TO TOLERATE BEING CALLED NAMES AND RACIST ABUSE AND CONSTANTLY BEING TURNT AWAY FROM PLACES JUST BECAUSE OF OUR CULTURE
    THIS NEEDS TO STOP WERE HUMAN BEINGS JUST LIKE ALL THESE OTHER CREEDS AND CULTURES , SO WERE ASKING FOR AS MANY TRAVLERS AS POSSIBLE IN DUBLIN ON THE 2nd OF DECEMBER AND ITS TIME TO ACT NOW ITS TIME YOU ALL DID SOMETHING ABOUT IT”

hopefully while they're all out protesting a few criminals are taking notice and will rob them blind...lol.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 670 ✭✭✭sightband

Blazer wrote: »
    hopefully while they're all out protesting a few criminals are taking notice and will rob them blind...lol.

I just read all that garbage. I’ve absolutely no idea what point they are making.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

It's only the gubberment that robs them, and they don't work Weekend's, so their stuff will be fine

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    Can we stop this bullsh!t of calling people who live in houses travellers? They are rejecting the harsh life of living in a caravan and want an easier life living in a house. They are choosing to be settled people but still want all the benefits of being classed as "Travellers". You have third and fourth generation living in houses, still claiming to be travellers. Nonsense. Either you are settled or a traveller. A settled traveller is an oxymoron.
    As I've said before, one half of my family were travellers and no-one would know unless I tell them. Partly because I got an unusual surname from my dad's side but mostly because my grandfather had the sense to see which way the wind was blowing. I see people calling themselves travellers who live in the same house their grandparents lived in as if it means something.
    I was thinking recently as well about maybe an extra element of the hatred people have for travellers comes down to the fact that it's really not that long ago that almost no-one in this country had anything. People lived in tenements with 25 people where now a family of 5 live. 15 people in a 3 room (not bedroom) house in the country. Our parents and grandparents remember that. They've seen how much things have changed and they don't buy the excuses from travellers who could have done the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Tchravlerz’z payple 2.

:mad:

What are you on about? Shur, Tis the gubberment doin da robbin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,986 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

well given he wasn't engaging in cultural activities but an actual crime, it's not surprising they haven't called for the sentence to be suspended. but i suspect you know that.

what do you think would happen if they did go on air after serious incidents and "explain" them away, not that such incidents can be explained away, as you know. would it be quite likely that they would be accused of condoning and justifying crime, dispite only doing what some people wanted them to do, go on air and explain the incidents away?

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement