Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Home improvements you find tacky

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭La.de.da

Even worse than tacky is bland. Feicin brown and cream colours everywhere. Use a bit of imagination/creativity.

Venetian blinds are a pet peeve. (Only cause they are a bollix to clean)

The striped carpet/ lights combo for the stairs like a runway up to bed.

Galvanized steele sheds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

I also don't get feature walls...I mean the kind where you paint your chimney breast a bright colour/cover it with "funky" wallpaper .

This.

I'm gonna go all out French arrogant (female) príck here : I think in general, Irish people go about decorating their house completely the wrong way. People try and emulate something they've seen on TV, or at the neighbours, or on Pinterest, but then somehow along the way, they forget to think of what they really do like ! Or else, they seem to think : "hhmm, yeah... that style ... yeah, that's class, I'm going to do that style", so they go about purchasing all the pre-selected items from Dunnes/Habitat/Ikea/etc... that fit that style. I love Pinterest ! But I don't browse and pin to copy a room, more to identify singular ideas that I think would work in my plans.

I get quite passionate about this. You should choose every item because you like it and it serves a purpose, not because it's part of the style package you brainwashed yourself into.

You don't have to go for one style, and follow it through because... Showhouse showed you. You don't have to stick to large print, silvery wallpaper, if what you like is small print Provencal.

I also go all "George Hook in full drama mode" about the "Dermot Bannon extension". I'm shamelessly using him as a scapegoat, but it seems to be every architect these days, who can't think further than steel beams, windows walls or rectangular window slots (black frame preferably), timber cladding, and maybe a touch of a) concrete b) grey slate c) industrial metal panels
    This http://www.endacavanagh.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/11-2181-post/Kiltiernan-2014-07-25_DSC6604-sharpened-copy(pp_w950_h634).jpg
    or this https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/5d/e9/49/5de9491a21eb176884e4171a9e6cacd7.jpg
    or this http://www.irishtimes.com/polopoly_fs/1.2202020.1430918320!/image/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/box_620_330/image.jpg

These are the flat roof kitchen extension of the 80s, all over again, but worse. Yeah, they make nice rooms inside. So would more traditional styles that suit traditional houses.

I guess I'm ok with eclectic inside, not outside. Or outside too, but only to a sympathetic extent. These extensions are not that.

OP, I think if you like the idea of the wrap around presses, you should go for it. I get the tackiness, but your own style pragmatic tackiness is better than showhouse tackiness.
    http://www.parisattitude.com/large/10800/31_bed1.jpg
    https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/5a/b5/e8/5ab5e86d9fbc0bd232c6b8768a04c3a6.jpg
    http://i2.cdscdn.com/pdt2/2/1/5/1/700x700/auc2009939868215/rw/lit-armoire-moderne-oxford-meuble-house.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

La.de.da wrote: »

Galvanized steele sheds.

who puts these into their home:pac::pac:

though i dislike big massive presses in a room full of ornaments and ****e

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,504 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Live Love laugh bollocks painted on your walls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Neames

Wooden ceilings....

Horrendous. I was in a house with wooden floors and a wooden ceiling....like being in a very large coffin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Neames wrote: »
    Wooden ceilings....

Horrendous. I was in a house with wooden floors and a wooden ceiling....like being in a very large coffin.
    They can look nice on country houses, or painted white.

Display cabinets full of trinkets and tat. Plates hung on walls. Porcelain figurines, books with fancy covers that have never been read. Coffee table books. Anything "inspirational". Cushions with pictures of dogs or quotes on them. Fake fireplaces, fake anything. Those weird wooden letters. Kitschy crap like hurricane lamps, excessive use of candles, metal figures. I could go on.
    Basically anything from that corner of Homebase or Woodies that's always on the left when you come in.

Decking. Empty, rotting 6 x 4 sheds. A garden that's not looked after.

Give me functional, simple and uncluttered any day. I have enough of my own crap without adding to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Neames wrote: »
    Wooden ceilings....

You've reached a dead end when it comes to decor if you resort to that 😂

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

Magnolia paint

Screams rental.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

that weird textured paint that looks like globby bits on the walls/ceilings

• Advertisement

non white bathroom sets

those weird toilet seats/lids with "fish" in water... ugh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

mansize wrote: »
    non white bathroom sets

OR the barbed wire toilet seat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

non white bathroom sets

Light blue is fine for a bathroom. Green never works.

Light blue is fine for a bathroom. Green never works.

No! Not even blue!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

No! Not even blue!

I prefer warm colours in a bathroom. I can't be the only one?

KKkitty wrote: »
    I prefer warm colours in a bathroom. I can't be the only one?

The walls etc fine just not the toilet sink bath

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Keisha07

Carpet in the bathroom, gross, thought it was a thing of the past seen it recently again horrified.

Globe bars

I'd love a globe bar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

I see chicken-themed tableware and decorative figurines all the time in home stores and I don't know who could possibly be buying them. Who walks into their living room and thinks, "You know what this room needs? A ceramic chicken."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Admit I have never seen most of these things.... When I was seeking a rental on daft though.... Especially when they said, "tastefully renovated"... I asked agents for a basic cottage that had not been renovated out of existence and got it.

Simple place.

There is a Belfast sink, in the garden. They made great planters. And I boxed up the multi ornaments.

Oh and an old bath too out there None in the house!

Would love a conservatory though... warmth and plants.

Thanks for reminding me I need a Sacred Heart image and lamp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,467 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Ornaments.

And glass cabinets full of them just sitting there for years.

Urrgh

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭mrsmags16

Houses with the same ornament repeated in each front window
    Net curtains
    Dogs or other plaster animals sitting on top of the front gate pillars
    White House pillar effect in the porch of a tiny house

That's just the outside....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Belle E. Flops

Cabinets filled with 'good china ware' that will never ever be used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

A Bidet.

Nothing screams lack of class than a bidet in an irish home.

bidet.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Two sinks in a bathroom, Wtf is that all about!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

ALL Christmas decorations. Why cover all your nice stuff with crap?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Big ornate chandelier lights.

'Welcome to our home' signs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Sounds like a crazy Saturday night on AH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

that weird textured paint that looks like globby bits on the walls/ceilings

I was going to post that. Wtf is that shít? Gaff we're thinking of buying has swirly in the sitting room, fan pattern in the dining room and stipple in the hall and kitchen..

Going to lower our offer to take into account getting rid of that crap.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

....or when one terraced house in the middle of a row has very ornate / deceptive / tacky facia board and fake stonework stuck on over the entire front of the house (vera Duckworth style) :eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

D0NNELLY wrote: »
    I was going to post that. Wtf is that shít? Gaff we're thinking of buying has swirly in the sitting room, fan pattern in the dining room and stipple in the hall and kitchen..

Going to lower our offer to take into account getting rid of that crap.

You mean Artex? Thought that was long out of fashion. Had friends who got it skimmed over. dust gatherer!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

This.

I'm gonna go all out French arrogant (female) príck here : I think in general, Irish people go about decorating their house completely the wrong way...

OP, I think if you like the idea of the wrap around presses, you should go for it. I get the tackiness, but your own style pragmatic tackiness is better than showhouse tackiness.

Best post on Boards. EVAR!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I live on the edge of Essex (I should probably end my post right there!)

We viewed a LOT of houses in the last year. I don't even know where to start. . .need to see if I can find some old links to rightmove ads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Plastic windows particularly those ones that divide the GLASS with lots of bars of plastic into mullioned or fake georgian effect - absolutely awful.

Plastic white front doors and any front door with an interior style pull down handle on the outside.

Greecian style Pillars on porches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Cliche pictures - black and while photos of manhattan from homestore and more etc is a particular grievance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Stippling.....that is all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

Graces7 wrote: »
    You mean Artex?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artex

*Shudder!!!*

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

I cant understand the hatred for PVC doors and windows? If the moulding is right, you wouldnt be able to tell the difference between PVC and wood. Actually, the wooden windows/doors look tattier in a lot of cases:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,810 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Andrewf20 wrote: »
    Cliche pictures - black and while photos of manhattan from homestore and more etc is a particular grievance.

Taking your own pictures and getting them blown up and put on the wall: OK.
    Buying a cheap print for the wall: why don't you put up pictures of someone else's kids while you're at it.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

The lady on the rock

5219170592_763dd8ddc7_b.jpg

http://totallydublin.ie/more/lady-on-the-rock-tracing-the-phenomenon-of-dublins-own-venus-de-milo/

My poor culchie brain was melted when I moved up to Dublin. I saw those everywhere while I was journeying through some of the less salubrious parts of the city, I had no idea what they were or why everyone seemed to have them in their windows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

Front elevation to new extensions to the side of 2 storey houses (brick style or council 3 beds in Dublin) that finish flush with the existing house,replacing the original garage. If it is an extension, let it be visibly seen that it is an extension by at least stepping it back one foot from the existing wall, not try and blend it in with the original house (most likely the bricks dont match or the new slate and the old slate meet at some point, guys we know its and extension, so let it just be that), its tacky otherwise.

In this one they haven't repainted the house after putting on the extension!
    http://www.daft.ie/dublin/houses-for-sale/drumcondra/30-ferguson-road-drumcondra-dublin-1380619/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Square toilets I find them really uncomfortable....
    Maybe you're using them wrong...
    I noticed a lot of new builds now a days are going a "luxury" look. It usually means shiny floors, shiny kitchens, lots of glass tables, "chandlers" mirrors, leather sofas, furry cushions and lots of wall paper. No amount of this stuff is going to make a 3 bed semi look like a mansion. The whole things together looks really tacky and uninviting.

Speaking of leather sofas...I find them mostly tacky. Especially red leather sofas. yuk!

I also don't get feature walls...I mean the kind where you paint your chimney breast a bright colour/cover it with "funky" wallpaper while the other four walls are magnolia.
    I think you are mixing up 'luxury' with 'personal taste'....
    This.

I'm gonna go all out French arrogant (female) príck here : I think in general, Irish people go about decorating their house completely the wrong way. People try and emulate something they've seen on TV, or at the neighbours, or on Pinterest, but then somehow along the way, they forget to think of what they really do like ! Or else, they seem to think : "hhmm, yeah... that style ... yeah, that's class, I'm going to do that style", so they go about purchasing all the pre-selected items from Dunnes/Habitat/Ikea/etc... that fit that style. I love Pinterest ! But I don't browse and pin to copy a room, more to identify singular ideas that I think would work in my plans.

I get quite passionate about this. You should choose every item because you like it and it serves a purpose, not because it's part of the style package you brainwashed yourself into.

You don't have to go for one style, and follow it through because... Showhouse showed you. You don't have to stick to large print, silvery wallpaper, if what you like is small print Provencal.

I also go all "George Hook in full drama mode" about the "Dermot Bannon extension". I'm shamelessly using him as a scapegoat, but it seems to be every architect these days, who can't think further than steel beams, windows walls or rectangular window slots (black frame preferably), timber cladding, and maybe a touch of a) concrete b) grey slate c) industrial metal panels
    This http://www.endacavanagh.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/11-2181-post/Kiltiernan-2014-07-25_DSC6604-sharpened-copy(pp_w950_h634).jpg
    or this https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/5d/e9/49/5de9491a21eb176884e4171a9e6cacd7.jpg
    or this http://www.irishtimes.com/polopoly_fs/1.2202020.1430918320!/image/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/box_620_330/image.jpg

These are the flat roof kitchen extension of the 80s, all over again, but worse. Yeah, they make nice rooms inside. So would more traditional styles that suit traditional houses.

I guess I'm ok with eclectic inside, not outside. Or outside too, but only to a sympathetic extent. These extensions are not that.

http://www.parisattitude.com/large/10800/31_bed1.jpg
    https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/5a/b5/e8/5ab5e86d9fbc0bd232c6b8768a04c3a6.jpg
    http://i2.cdscdn.com/pdt2/2/1/5/1/700x700/auc2009939868215/rw/lit-armoire-moderne-oxford-meuble-house.jpg
    Feel better now sweetie.....:pac:
    You've been bottling that up for a while, you should stay in for a year or two and not visit anyone else's places for that time, never know when you could get triggered again....:D

Personally, I can't stand,
    Georgian style pvc windows,
    Ornate plastic doors,
    Bell cast roofs,
    Ionic or Corinthian columns around the entrance,
    Mini doric columns with concrete balustrades around patios,
    Ornate decorated fascia boards,
    Roof finials,

or

Elaborate entrances, huge piers and chunky stone walls with wrought iron gates and key pad entries all leading to a bungalow, the modern equivalent of fur coat and no knickers...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭marketty

Dublin flag

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,163 ✭✭✭893bet

James 007 wrote: »
    Front elevation to new extensions to the side of 2 storey houses (brick style or council 3 beds in Dublin) that finish flush with the existing house,replacing the original garage. If it is an extension, let it be visibly seen that it is an extension by at least stepping it back one foot from the existing wall, not try and blend it in with the original house (most likely the bricks dont match or the new slate and the old slate meet at some point, guys we know its and extension, so let it just be that), its tacky otherwise.

Why waste a foot of space? To step it back?

Have to lay a new foundation to step it back....higher roof costs to step.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

I hate it when other people do what they want with their own homes too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,467 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

James 007 wrote: »

In this one they haven't repainted the house after putting on the extension!
    http://www.daft.ie/dublin/houses-for-sale/drumcondra/30-ferguson-road-drumcondra-dublin-1380619/

Not really getting the issue here

In fact 'stepping that back' would look pretty stupid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Paint and grain. Unless your an expert painter doing it then it looks crap

Those kitchen units for displaying bottles of wine or your plate. Hate them. Nobody uses them and they collect dust and dirt.

Tiled worktops

I hate pine doors. They are everywhere. Horrible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Fads! For the last year or so, thousands of sheeple have been out in Woodie's buying up all the grey paint they can get their uninspired hands on, to paint walls or doors, architraves and skirting boards.

Don't they realise that this trend is going to date their design 'ideas' very quickly? So tacky to just follow what's in the latest issue of whatever home magazine you are reading right now...

• Advertisement
Advertisement