Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home improvements you find tacky

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,081 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Sleepy wrote: »
    I've spent the last 6 months removing much of what was mentioned in this thread from our fixer upper :o

Stuff I've sorted so far:
    Pea Green Matt Emulsion plastered onto the kitchen cabinets, splashback tiles and appliances.
    Lino on the stairs and landing.
    A mix-and-match bathroom suite of pink bath and basin with a white toilet.
    Cheap, early 00's laminate flooring.
    An uneven, arabesque tile and lino combo, floor in the kitchen / diner.
    An oven powered by a plug coming up through the counter-top and inserted in the socket built into the splashback :eek:
    Brass door handles that had been "fixed" in place with 1/2 inch bolts.
    Home-made shelving in a utility room that would put a junior cert woodwork student to shame.
    "Structural" wallpaper - it was literally holding the skimcoat up in the older part of the ground floor!

Still to go:
    The cheap white PVC door
    The misted aluminium double-glazed windows with faux-georgian bars
    - both of the above in an architectural conservation area requiring the original front door and sash windows to be kept - not going to be cheap to get right :(
    Both front and back gardens full of clutter, astro-turf and palm trees (in North County Dublin.
    An attic that has zero insulation.
    A downstairs bathroom with a shower cubicle that clearly has tiling over regular plasterboard (instead of the water resistant bathroom grade).
    Stippled ceilings in most rooms.
    Putting some cabiinets into the utility room (ripped out the old stuff and just have some old shelving units we brought from our rental in there for now)
    Christ, I hope you got that house cheap :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 30,432 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

The one style of kitchen I don't like is a white or white glass finished kitchen. It always looks clinical to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,319 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

The one style of kitchen I don't like is a white or white glass finished kitchen. It always looks clinical to me.

Not really tacky though is it!?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Audrey fckng Hepburn prints, those floor lamps that go across the room in a big arc, damask wallpaper, bare pine, coving, anything that says "keep something and something something" on it...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭cml387

There was a fashion once for carpet in bathrooms.:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Used to work summers with my dad. We once pulled up an old carpet to find underneath a gorgeous mahogany hardwood floor, the kind of thing that nowadays would cost a small fortune. Bit of tlc and it would have looked amazing. Owner was having none of it and went ahead with her new patterned carpet.

Think pretty much everything has already been mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Used to work summers with my dad. We once pulled up an old carpet to find underneath a gorgeous mahogany hardwood floor, the kind of thing that nowadays would cost a small fortune. Bit of tlc and it would have looked amazing. Owner was having none of it and went ahead with her new patterned carpet.

Think pretty much everything has already been mentioned.
    I remember reading one of those renovation articles years ago. The owner got gorgeous parquet flooring from someone who used it for fire in fireplace. She also found a tapestry that owner wouldn't sell because her cat slept on it. Eventually she swapped it for a cat bed. The tapestry was later on a display in national gallery (not in Ireland) as great example of baroque art in the country. Ok it's a small country not know for its baroque art but still the cat had expensive taste. :D

_Brian wrote: »
    What !!
    what's the problem with decks
    They belong on ships!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,512 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

_Brian wrote: »
    What !!
    what's the problem with decks

horrid things.
    full of rats
    covered in green crap and really slippery
    fall apart and rot in a few years

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭WoolyJumper

I don't if its still going but anyone remember that show 60 minute make over on a few years back? Absolute terror for the "feature wall" school of design. The amazing part of the show wasn't the fact they could do make over in 60 minutes, it was how much wall paper, cushions, mirrors, tables, lamps, and general shiny tat they could fit into the typical tiny British 3 bed Semi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,432 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

It probably will be in about twenty years time!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

The problem with most of interior design is that people may live in a veritable shoebox but think when it comes to decor that anything will suit.

I don't if its still going but anyone remember that show 60 minute make over on a few years back? Absolute terror for the "feature wall" school of design. The amazing part of the show wasn't the fact they could do make over in 60 minutes, it was how much wall paper, cushions, mirrors, tables, lamps, and general shiny tat they could fit into the typical tiny British 3 bed Semi.

The finish of some stuff was absolutely dreadful too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Wibbs wrote: »
    Again IMHO depends on the film, the age and if they're originals. Pre say 1970's the images could be interesting in their own right. Plus because back then they weren't "collectors items"/memorabilia and meant to be discarded after the cinema run, they have a patina of their own. Some like the ones produced in Cuba after Castro were designed and printed by some very talented artists. Can go similar for old Eastern Bloc stuff. Hell, Toulouse Lautrec readied up advertising posters and I'd love one of those originals.

Seems like a choice between either tackiness or pretentiousness.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

In this rental, I spent a day boxing up and hiding away ornaments, etc etc. So much sheer clutter.

But the owner loved that and when I leave, all the bits will revert to their original place.

Each to her own.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Your Face wrote: »
    Seems like a choice between either tackiness or pretentiousness.
    Not really.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Cokezero

For some reason I really dislike corner l shaped couches, the ones that are recliner and brown corduroy material. Usually found in a very small sitting room.
    Red accents in sitting rooms or kitchens.

Live life love

Photo collages- just pick 1/2 nice ones!

Crushed velvet in tiny spaces looks so fussy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭__Alex__

mansize wrote: »
    non white bathroom sets
    No! Not even blue!
    The walls etc fine just not the toilet sink bath

r3nu4l wrote: »
    No problem with muting walls at all, it's the way the sheeple are all running to grey as their colour of choice (or should I say, the colour of the industry's choice) at the moment, rather than coming up with their own ideas... ;) No original thought at all.

Edit. I especially hate the indiscriminate use of the colour. The amount of people using grey in tiny rooms in their house or rooms that are already dark and poorly lit anyway, is abysmal :(

I love grey, always have. As evidenced by my clothing. And I loved that my apartment kitchen has grey cabinets when I moved in. So can easily envisaging painting a wall grey. Some people might genuinely like it. Even if they saw it somewhere, well, everyone gets their inspiration from somewhere. I have little time for 'sheeple' accusations, we none of us live in a vacuum. Anything anyone wants for their house, they have likely seen demonstrated elsewhere. That might be a current fad but that doesn't mean a person won't intrepret the fad in a classy way.
    r3nu4l wrote: »
    However, add I said, most of what I've seen had been painted walls with no attempt to make the photos or at Pop out which is the whole point behind the use of grey.

Or just liking the colour? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭well spoken man

Cream plastic windows.....looks very chavvy.....

• Advertisement

Piriz wrote: »
    the more I look at it the more I like it, the kitchen is nice in its unique way, I could handle the bathroom too..

395k tho.. would you like frills with that?

Yeah the kitchen is quite nice! Impractical floor tiles though.
    Your Face wrote: »
    Framed movie posters.

You c--ts.

No way, man, there are so many amazing movie posters from down the years. Some are genuine art.
    Wibbs wrote: »
    Again IMHO depends on the film, the age and if they're originals. Pre say 1970's the images could be interesting in their own right. Plus because back then they weren't "collectors items"/memorabilia and meant to be discarded after the cinema run, they have a patina of their own. Some like the ones produced in Cuba after Castro were designed and printed by some very talented artists. Can go similar for old Eastern Bloc stuff. Hell, Toulouse Lautrec readied up advertising posters and I'd love one of those originals.

Not just pre-1970s, almost every decade produces interesting film posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

I don't live in Ireland but visit your country very often and the thing I really don't like is the amount of ships and horses paintings on the Irish homes walls!
    Absolutely unbearable!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,319 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I don't live in Ireland but visit your country very often and the thing I really don't like is the amount of ships and horses paintings on the Irish homes walls!
    Absolutely unbearable!

rented in a place where it was wall to wall pictures of horses

overlooked Leopardstown racecourse so was somewhat contextual but still - I hated all of them

• Registered Users Posts: 29,081 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Remember when it was a thing to have horse brasses all over the fireplace wall in your sitting room?

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Remember when it was a thing to have horse brasses all over the fireplace wall in your sitting room?

With a matching brass box for the logs. :)

Could understand that trend for people who , live in the countryside, or have horses, but in a semi d... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Anything taxidermy style is horrific. A neighbour had a pheasant in a glass case on Facebook yesterday. Giving it away for free too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

KKkitty wrote: »
    Anything taxidermy style is horrific. A neighbour had a pheasant in a glass case on Facebook yesterday. Giving it away for free too.

Dita Von Teese is fond of taxidermy.
    https://i.ytimg.com/vi/VWGskxpdjWo/maxresdefault.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,763 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

KKkitty wrote: »
    Back in the 80s there was a house near where I was growing up where a taxidermist lived.
    His house had a large picture window looking out onto the street. In which there was a full sized DEER. :(

• Advertisement

Dita Von Teese is fond of taxidermy.
    https://i.ytimg.com/vi/VWGskxpdjWo/maxresdefault.jpg
    That looks cool.

A lot of things can look well if you know how to style them. I don't have the skills.

Advertisement