Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home improvements you find tacky

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

mansize wrote: »
    non white bathroom sets

those weird toilet seats/lids with "fish" in water... ugh
    OR the barbed wire toilet seat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

non white bathroom sets

those weird toilet seats/lids with "fish" in water... ugh

Light blue is fine for a bathroom. Green never works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Light blue is fine for a bathroom. Green never works.

No! Not even blue!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

No! Not even blue!

I prefer warm colours in a bathroom. I can't be the only one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

KKkitty wrote: »
    I prefer warm colours in a bathroom. I can't be the only one?

The walls etc fine just not the toilet sink bath

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Keisha07

Carpet in the bathroom, gross, thought it was a thing of the past seen it recently again horrified.

Globe bars

I'd love a globe bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

I see chicken-themed tableware and decorative figurines all the time in home stores and I don't know who could possibly be buying them. Who walks into their living room and thinks, "You know what this room needs? A ceramic chicken."

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Admit I have never seen most of these things.... When I was seeking a rental on daft though.... Especially when they said, "tastefully renovated"... I asked agents for a basic cottage that had not been renovated out of existence and got it.

Simple place.

There is a Belfast sink, in the garden. They made great planters. And I boxed up the multi ornaments.

Oh and an old bath too out there None in the house!

Would love a conservatory though... warmth and plants.

Thanks for reminding me I need a Sacred Heart image and lamp.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,298 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Ornaments.

And glass cabinets full of them just sitting there for years.

Urrgh

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭mrsmags16

Houses with the same ornament repeated in each front window
    Net curtains
    Dogs or other plaster animals sitting on top of the front gate pillars
    White House pillar effect in the porch of a tiny house

That's just the outside....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Belle E. Flops

Cabinets filled with 'good china ware' that will never ever be used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

A Bidet.

Nothing screams lack of class than a bidet in an irish home.

bidet.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 28,964 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Two sinks in a bathroom, Wtf is that all about!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

ALL Christmas decorations. Why cover all your nice stuff with crap?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Big ornate chandelier lights.

'Welcome to our home' signs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Sounds like a crazy Saturday night on AH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

that weird textured paint that looks like globby bits on the walls/ceilings

I was going to post that. Wtf is that shít? Gaff we're thinking of buying has swirly in the sitting room, fan pattern in the dining room and stipple in the hall and kitchen..

Going to lower our offer to take into account getting rid of that crap.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

....or when one terraced house in the middle of a row has very ornate / deceptive / tacky facia board and fake stonework stuck on over the entire front of the house (vera Duckworth style) :eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

D0NNELLY wrote: »
    I was going to post that. Wtf is that shít? Gaff we're thinking of buying has swirly in the sitting room, fan pattern in the dining room and stipple in the hall and kitchen..

Going to lower our offer to take into account getting rid of that crap.

You mean Artex? Thought that was long out of fashion. Had friends who got it skimmed over. dust gatherer!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

This.

I'm gonna go all out French arrogant (female) príck here : I think in general, Irish people go about decorating their house completely the wrong way...

OP, I think if you like the idea of the wrap around presses, you should go for it. I get the tackiness, but your own style pragmatic tackiness is better than showhouse tackiness.

Best post on Boards. EVAR!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I live on the edge of Essex (I should probably end my post right there!)

We viewed a LOT of houses in the last year. I don't even know where to start. . .need to see if I can find some old links to rightmove ads

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Plastic windows particularly those ones that divide the GLASS with lots of bars of plastic into mullioned or fake georgian effect - absolutely awful.

Plastic white front doors and any front door with an interior style pull down handle on the outside.

Greecian style Pillars on porches.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Cliche pictures - black and while photos of manhattan from homestore and more etc is a particular grievance.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Stippling.....that is all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

Graces7 wrote: »
    You mean Artex?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artex

*Shudder!!!*

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

I cant understand the hatred for PVC doors and windows? If the moulding is right, you wouldnt be able to tell the difference between PVC and wood. Actually, the wooden windows/doors look tattier in a lot of cases:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,689 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Andrewf20 wrote: »
    Cliche pictures - black and while photos of manhattan from homestore and more etc is a particular grievance.

Taking your own pictures and getting them blown up and put on the wall: OK.
    Buying a cheap print for the wall: why don't you put up pictures of someone else's kids while you're at it.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

The lady on the rock

5219170592_763dd8ddc7_b.jpg

http://totallydublin.ie/more/lady-on-the-rock-tracing-the-phenomenon-of-dublins-own-venus-de-milo/

My poor culchie brain was melted when I moved up to Dublin. I saw those everywhere while I was journeying through some of the less salubrious parts of the city, I had no idea what they were or why everyone seemed to have them in their windows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

Front elevation to new extensions to the side of 2 storey houses (brick style or council 3 beds in Dublin) that finish flush with the existing house,replacing the original garage. If it is an extension, let it be visibly seen that it is an extension by at least stepping it back one foot from the existing wall, not try and blend it in with the original house (most likely the bricks dont match or the new slate and the old slate meet at some point, guys we know its and extension, so let it just be that), its tacky otherwise.

In this one they haven't repainted the house after putting on the extension!
    http://www.daft.ie/dublin/houses-for-sale/drumcondra/30-ferguson-road-drumcondra-dublin-1380619/

Advertisement