Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home improvements you find tacky

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

dudara wrote: »
    It's 100% polar opposite to my taste, but it's clearly been someone's pride & joy. They've invested a lot in it.

Same here. I looked at the pictures of it when it appeared on the 'Funny houses' thread. It's completely and totally opposite to my taste, but it's certainly well kept and sparkling clean!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Piriz

Jake1 wrote: »
    :eek::D coffee ran out my nose :)

Did anyon e else notice the banister rails on the staircase? Yup, also gilded in gold paint.

But fair play to them it is obviously their pride and job. Could eat your dinner of that floor

the more I look at it the more I like it, the kitchen is nice in its unique way, I could handle the bathroom too..

395k tho.. would you like frills with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

• Registered Users Posts: 4,714 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

When viewing houses I couldn't get over the amount that lost nearly a third of their floor space to Dallas style stairways. Imagine a detached house with space for three rooms across but the middle one is instead a reception area with a stairway wrapping around it taking up a large chunk of the downstairs and upstairs space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,348 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

stevek93 wrote: »

To be fair for a house that hasn't being decorated in about 40 years they maintained it fairly well!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Too many bright white pieces in a room would remind me of a traveller's wedding dress or a Dublin girlos white strappy stellettos.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭HiGlo

stevek93 wrote: »

There's great space in that house... Bit of a freshen up/modernisation and it's grand.

I am looking at houses/apartments at the moment and while browsing myhome.ie recently I was scanning through pictures of some house to encounter a full on bar in the house.. An actual bar, with taps, a pool table, bar stools, barrels.... "Al's Bar" it was called. Wish I could remember which house it was.

Everyone has their own tastes, but my pet hates are leather furniture (uuuugggh!) and wood flooring. I'm not anti wood floors, I just don't particularly like them. There's a lot of stuff in my current house that I don't like, (the curtains, the living room suite, the lino in the kitchen, in fact the whole kitchen), but it's rented so not a whole lot I can do.
    It also has a textured/flock wallpaper which has been painted over in a cream kinda colour and I must admit that it's probably pretty retro but I actually kinda like it....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭milehip

All the poster who said PVC windows and door must never have had to sand and repaint their wooden counterparts, Ronseal 5 year wood stain my ass.

What makes me retch is the gold silver and chocolate brown colour scheme that every amateur interior decorator opted for on that Rte design show a few years back.

Can't remember the name but it was a knockout competition style show featuring a two amateurs doing up a few rooms in separate homes. Anyway the decor always seemed to boil down to gold and silver cushions/table runners/underplates and dark brown wallpaper/quilts/seat covers.
    It was like a misguided attempt to scream opeluence that failed miserably.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

milehip wrote: »
    All the poster who said PVC windows and door must never have had to sand and repaint their wooden counterparts, Ronseal 5 year wood stain my ass.

What makes me retch is the gold silver and chocolate brown colour scheme that every amateur interior decorator opted for on that Rte design show a few years back.

Can't remember the name but it was a knockout competition style show featuring a two amateurs doing up a few rooms in separate homes. Anyway the decor always seemed to boil down to gold and silver cushions/table runners/underplates and dark brown wallpaper/quilts/seat covers.
    It was like a misguided attempt to scream opeluence that failed miserably.

I don't know what the previous owners used on the windows of my house but I haven't had to touch them yet and I've lived here for a few years, and the finish wasn't just done when I bought it. They're teak so they're durable, if not particularly pretty. Of course if I wanted them to look veryfresh and smart I might touch them up but I'm not that fussy and it's low on the list of priorities.

The worst improvement is knocking an old cottage that you only bought for the planning, and building a mammoth house in its place. Sacrilege.

• Advertisement

milehip wrote: »

Oh, there's no doubt at all that they're massively more convenient and efficient than wooden frames, they're just so very, very ugly.

That said, I can put up with them for the advantages, but the plastic fascias and especially plastic doors are a bridge too far. They're horrendously tacky looking and ugly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Piriz wrote: »

Mother of God!! You'd barely live in that house. You'd constantly be afraid to move in case you'd dirty something.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

The gold pumpkin carriage is amazing. I hate it, but imagine the joy of the home owner when they found it ! Maybe they had it commissioned even ? I like to think they just happened upon it somewhere some day.

The gold pumpkin carriage is amazing. I hate it, but imagine the joy of the home owner when they found it ! Maybe they had it commissioned even ? I like to think they just happened upon it somewhere some day.

It made me smile. It's like a representation of the house itself, a perfect little palace for it's owners. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,348 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I didn't spot the horse and carriage the first time now I'd be fairly confident it might be belong to somebody who'd take part in My big fat Gypsy wedding/Communion!

Actually not pumpkin, that part was just in my head :D Just a lot of gold gold gold !

Actually not pumpkin, that part was just in my head :D Just a lot of gold gold gold !

Carriage clock/pumpkin carriage, easy to scramble up.

The gold was the main thing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

listermint wrote: »
    Ah I'm glad you speak for thousands of people.

That's okay.

Ah, can't refute my point so attempt diversionary tactics in an effort to score points.

That's okay.

:)

Okay, silly title for tats aside. I recognise that you obviously understand the reason for using grey but of all the grey houses I've been in over the past 12 months, not one of the owners had used it properly. Not one had so much as reframed any of their pictures to make them po out our even invested in new art to complement/stand out. No effort made because they didn't understand what they were doing. Just followed the herd/ trend like sheep.

Note, not using sheeple because some people seem to think that the word automatically makes a post unworthy...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Ah, can't refute my point so attempt diversionary tactics in an effort to score points.

That's okay.

:)

Okay, silly title for tats aside. I recognise that you obviously understand the reason for using grey but of all the grey houses I've been in over the past 12 months, not one of the owners had used it properly. Not one had so much as reframed any of their pictures to make them po out our even invested in new art to complement/stand out. No effort made because they didn't understand what they were doing. Just followed the herd/ trend like sheep.

That is not art is it? To find some tat just to compliment color scheme is sad. Art should be there because it means something to you, because it gives you pleasure to look at not because it complements the wall colour. And to think you actually feel superior to people who use grey paint. At least they are using something they like. I think people like you are ideal consumers. They won't buy stuff they enjoy they will buy mindlessly whatever is color coordinated mass produced stuff without any individuality. But it will be colour coordinated. Oh wait what did you call those people who buy mindlessly?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Candie wrote: »
    Oh, there's no doubt at all that they're massively more convenient and efficient than wooden frames, they're just so very, very ugly.

That said, I can put up with them for the advantages, but the plastic fascias and especially plastic doors are a bridge too far. They're horrendously tacky looking and ugly.

I'm not even convinced they're more convenient than wood 'cause you have to replace the whole unit if a piece of the frame gets damaged, as far as I know.
    You can just repair a bit of damage to a wooden frame.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

Stippling on the ceiling is totally ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭76544567

A home bar.

meeeeh wrote: »
    That is not art is it? To find some tat just to compliment color scheme is sad. Art should be there because it means something to you, because it gives you pleasure to look at not because it complements the wall colour. And to think you actually feel superior to people who use grey paint. At least they are using something they like. I think people like you are ideal consumers. They won't buy stuff they enjoy they will buy mindlessly whatever is color coordinated mass produced stuff without any individuality. But it will be colour coordinated. Oh wait what did you call those people who buy mindlessly?
    Actually, what I meant by complement was that the muting of the wall with grey should be done to complement new art that you buy, not that the at should commitment the grey. So when you buy new art it should complement what you've done. However, add I said, most of what I've seen had been painted walls with no attempt to make the photos or at Pop out which is the whole point behind the use of grey.

By the way, surely you'll have guessed by now that when I say 'art' here, I'm referring to something purchased from Woodie's or IKEA, not real art... Very few of the grey brigade are hanging Picasso on the walls.

Even if I was referring to true art, it's possible to find such work that does speak to you and is also complemented by what you're trying to do in your home.

Also, nice attempt at a personal attack. Must try harder.

Oh and I'm sorry I've touched such a raw nerve here. Obviously you won't like my posts if you've just lathered your home in grey... However, this whole thread is about what people find tacky and I resend the right to that opinion. Just because I find the current trend poorly implemented for the most part is no reason to view it as an attack on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Also, nice attempt at a personal attack. Must try harder.
    Was it personal attack when you called others sheep?

I think our understanding of art might be a bit different. Mine doesn't include made by Woodies.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭milehip

Deedsie wrote: »
    Any loose cables hanging down along the roof or along the walls, damaged guttering and down pipes, chipped paint etc

Just looks lazy and makes houses look like they have no pride in their property.

They're more like examples of lack of home improvements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Winterlong wrote: »
    A Bidet.

Nothing screams lack of class than a bidet in an irish home.

bidet.jpg

Handy enough if you run out of jacks paper

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Handy enough if you run out of jacks paper

I'd love a bidet !
    I'd love for it to just happen to be there, in my bathroom, and I'd be secretly using it, so I wouldn't have the mortification of having deliberately purchased a bidet for use in my bathroom.
    Our house had no bathroom when we bought it so that wouldn't wash off. (;))

I might just put one in one day, feck it.
    Grew up with them in every bathroom in France, very handy they are. You can soak delicates in them, wash feet ... they're not just for ahem ! you know.

In my grandparents' the bathroom was small, so they actually had one on wheels, no shít. It could be wheeled under the sink after use. That was so cool.

meeeeh wrote: »
    Was it personal attack when you called others sheep?

I think our understanding of art might be a bit different. Mine doesn't include made by Woodies.

I didn't single out an individual the way you singled out me ;) So yes, personal, the very definition of the word...

Also, yes, the majority of people in Ireland tend to refer to what they bought in Woodie's and IKEA as art, so I used the general term, I did differentiate the idea in my last post which you obviously chose to ignore. It would be better to focus your efforts on reading and understanding my posts, rather than just rushing to reply in an effort to score points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,790 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Also, yes, the majority of people in Ireland tend to refer to what they bought in Woodie's and IKEA as art.

There you go again speaking for people

Where are these stats that indicate the majority of people in Ireland don't art from an item in woodies.

Perplexing..

Advertisement