Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home improvements you find tacky

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,348 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Square toilets I find them really uncomfortable and chairs\sofas that are uncomfortable both of which people get because they look nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

High gloss floor tiles. :eek: laid diagonally :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Bassfish

dpofloinn wrote: »
    I have no time for those inspirational messages stenciled on feature walls Life-Is-Short-Forgive-Quickly-Love-Truly-Kiss-Slowly-Laugh-Uncontrollably-and-Never-Regret-Anything-That-Made-You-Smile-Wall-Quote-Decal.png
    I would sooner have a ten foot swastika on my wall!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

Jaysus I must be the tackiest cvnt going.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Couches/sofas with a million and one cushions on them that you have to move every time you want to sit down. I don't mind one either end but not loads in between.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,192 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

net curtains

tyres, especially painted ones, with plants in them

archways in bungalows,

rows of medals and trophies across the top of display units

wallpaper borders at the top of walls and half way up walls

Plastic doors, windows, gutters, fascia.

Windows I can get over if I have to, the practicalities outweigh the aesthetics at times. PVC doors, gutters and fascias, no.

KKkitty wrote: »
    Couches/sofas with a million and one cushions on them that you have to move every time you want to sit down. I don't mind one either end but not loads in between.

Cushions all over the bed is even worse. Dozens of soft toys is even worse again! You have to excavate the place to get under the duvet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

Globe bars

• Registered Users Posts: 30,348 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Belfast sinks!

• Advertisement

Belfast sinks!

I love those if they're original to the house. Not so nice in 3 bed semi built in 2005. :)

There's one in my grandmothers house in sort of utility room beside the kitchen that she calls the scullery, one of my earliest memories is being given a bath in it.

Belfast sinks!

In a really big kitchen they're not so bad but in a tiny one they look awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭WoolyJumper

I noticed a lot of new builds now a days are going a "luxury" look. It usually means shiny floors, shiny kitchens, lots of glass tables, "chandlers" mirrors, leather sofas, furry cushions and lots of wall paper. No amount of this stuff is going to make a 3 bed semi look like a mansion. The whole things together looks really tacky and uninviting.

Speaking of leather sofas...I find them mostly tacky. Especially red leather sofas. yuk!

I also don't get feature walls...I mean the kind where you paint your chimney breast a bright colour/cover it with "funky" wallpaper while the other four walls are magnolia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

None of ye are ever coming to my house!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

meeeeh wrote: »
    Color coordinated cushions, candles and wall art from Woodies. Hang something on the wall because you like it and not because it will match your cushions and wall paint.

Is this literally the opposite of tacky....if it looks well???

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,284 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Dado rails. The fcukers who owned the house before us put one in the living room, along with different types of wallpaper above and below and a border thrown in for good measure. The wallpaper was the first thing to go after buying the house, but pulling out the dado rail would probably damage the wall, so it's painted the same colour as the rest of the room (which actually camouflaged it quite well, my wife didn't notice it until about two years after she moved in :D). Plus they put cornices in every bloody room in the house and a huge plaster rose in the middle of the living room ceiling. What the fcuk was wrong with those people???

• Registered Users Posts: 8,110 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Those led lights, Phillips hue, etc.

Lino, carpet & wallpaper have no place in a house either. Horrible stuff the lot of them

High gloss floor tiles. :eek: laid diagonally :eek:
    Even worse if they're in the bathroom!
    Sliding out of the shower isn't fun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

ShiftStorm wrote: »
    Not a home improvement per se but those wooden blocks for your window sill or mantelpiece that spell out 'HOME' or 'Mr & Mrs' and other such tat!

Similar enough as it's notso really an improvement but those black and white images of Big Ben with a routemaster or a black taxi crossing the bridge or one of the Eiffel Tower. Absolute tat.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,693 ✭✭✭buried

This new fad where Windows and glass are now replacing the entire wall. Yeah the light is lovely, but it's Ireland you're living in lads, not a ocean view Miami beach house in a Micheal Mann film from the 80's. Every other window around the parish with a twitchin curtain type now has a hubble telescope pointed right at your live-in greenhouse gaff

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭La.de.da

Even worse than tacky is bland. Feicin brown and cream colours everywhere. Use a bit of imagination/creativity.

Venetian blinds are a pet peeve. (Only cause they are a bollix to clean)

The striped carpet/ lights combo for the stairs like a runway up to bed.

Galvanized steele sheds.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

I also don't get feature walls...I mean the kind where you paint your chimney breast a bright colour/cover it with "funky" wallpaper .

This.

I'm gonna go all out French arrogant (female) príck here : I think in general, Irish people go about decorating their house completely the wrong way. People try and emulate something they've seen on TV, or at the neighbours, or on Pinterest, but then somehow along the way, they forget to think of what they really do like ! Or else, they seem to think : "hhmm, yeah... that style ... yeah, that's class, I'm going to do that style", so they go about purchasing all the pre-selected items from Dunnes/Habitat/Ikea/etc... that fit that style. I love Pinterest ! But I don't browse and pin to copy a room, more to identify singular ideas that I think would work in my plans.

I get quite passionate about this. You should choose every item because you like it and it serves a purpose, not because it's part of the style package you brainwashed yourself into.

You don't have to go for one style, and follow it through because... Showhouse showed you. You don't have to stick to large print, silvery wallpaper, if what you like is small print Provencal.

I also go all "George Hook in full drama mode" about the "Dermot Bannon extension". I'm shamelessly using him as a scapegoat, but it seems to be every architect these days, who can't think further than steel beams, windows walls or rectangular window slots (black frame preferably), timber cladding, and maybe a touch of a) concrete b) grey slate c) industrial metal panels
    This http://www.endacavanagh.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/11-2181-post/Kiltiernan-2014-07-25_DSC6604-sharpened-copy(pp_w950_h634).jpg
    or this https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/5d/e9/49/5de9491a21eb176884e4171a9e6cacd7.jpg
    or this http://www.irishtimes.com/polopoly_fs/1.2202020.1430918320!/image/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/box_620_330/image.jpg

These are the flat roof kitchen extension of the 80s, all over again, but worse. Yeah, they make nice rooms inside. So would more traditional styles that suit traditional houses.

I guess I'm ok with eclectic inside, not outside. Or outside too, but only to a sympathetic extent. These extensions are not that.

OP, I think if you like the idea of the wrap around presses, you should go for it. I get the tackiness, but your own style pragmatic tackiness is better than showhouse tackiness.
    http://www.parisattitude.com/large/10800/31_bed1.jpg
    https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/5a/b5/e8/5ab5e86d9fbc0bd232c6b8768a04c3a6.jpg
    http://i2.cdscdn.com/pdt2/2/1/5/1/700x700/auc2009939868215/rw/lit-armoire-moderne-oxford-meuble-house.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

La.de.da wrote: »

Galvanized steele sheds.

who puts these into their home:pac::pac:

though i dislike big massive presses in a room full of ornaments and ****e

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Live Love laugh bollocks painted on your walls.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Neames

Wooden ceilings....

Horrendous. I was in a house with wooden floors and a wooden ceiling....like being in a very large coffin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Neames wrote: »
    Wooden ceilings....

Horrendous. I was in a house with wooden floors and a wooden ceiling....like being in a very large coffin.
    They can look nice on country houses, or painted white.

Display cabinets full of trinkets and tat. Plates hung on walls. Porcelain figurines, books with fancy covers that have never been read. Coffee table books. Anything "inspirational". Cushions with pictures of dogs or quotes on them. Fake fireplaces, fake anything. Those weird wooden letters. Kitschy crap like hurricane lamps, excessive use of candles, metal figures. I could go on.
    Basically anything from that corner of Homebase or Woodies that's always on the left when you come in.

Decking. Empty, rotting 6 x 4 sheds. A garden that's not looked after.

Give me functional, simple and uncluttered any day. I have enough of my own crap without adding to it.

Neames wrote: »
    Wooden ceilings....

You've reached a dead end when it comes to decor if you resort to that 😂

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

Magnolia paint

Screams rental.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

that weird textured paint that looks like globby bits on the walls/ceilings

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

non white bathroom sets

those weird toilet seats/lids with "fish" in water... ugh

Advertisement