Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home improvements you find tacky

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭sadie1502

OMG.

Is your house full of everything that was mentioned??

Lemme see, gwan, lemme see.

Hahaha funny it has some of the above mentioned the brick wallpaper we just moved in October so I like it until we can get tiles and kitchen ripped out . Our sitting room is lovely but again ye on here would probably hate it its all subjective but I'm not ashamed of it its our taste it's clean and until we get the money together to do it up it will work just fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

This.

I'm gonna go all out French arrogant (female) príck here : I think in general, Irish people go about decorating their house completely the wrong way. People try and emulate something they've seen on TV, or at the neighbours, or on Pinterest, but then somehow along the way, they forget to think of what they really do like ! Or else, they seem to think : "hhmm, yeah... that style ... yeah, that's class, I'm going to do that style", so they go about purchasing all the pre-selected items from Dunnes/Habitat/Ikea/etc... that fit that style. I love Pinterest ! But I don't browse and pin to copy a room, more to identify singular ideas that I think would work in my plans.

I get quite passionate about this. You should choose every item because you like it and it serves a purpose, not because it's part of the style package you brainwashed yourself into.

You don't have to go for one style, and follow it through because... Showhouse showed you. You don't have to stick to large print, silvery wallpaper, if what you like is small print Provencal.

I also go all "George Hook in full drama mode" about the "Dermot Bannon extension". I'm shamelessly using him as a scapegoat, but it seems to be every architect these days, who can't think further than steel beams, windows walls or rectangular window slots (black frame preferably), timber cladding, and maybe a touch of a) concrete b) grey slate c) industrial metal panels
    This http://www.endacavanagh.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/11-2181-post/Kiltiernan-2014-07-25_DSC6604-sharpened-copy(pp_w950_h634).jpg
    or this https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/5d/e9/49/5de9491a21eb176884e4171a9e6cacd7.jpg
    or this http://www.irishtimes.com/polopoly_fs/1.2202020.1430918320!/image/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/box_620_330/image.jpg

These are the flat roof kitchen extension of the 80s, all over again, but worse. Yeah, they make nice rooms inside. So would more traditional styles that suit traditional houses.

I guess I'm ok with eclectic inside, not outside. Or outside too, but only to a sympathetic extent. These extensions are not that.

OP, I think if you like the idea of the wrap around presses, you should go for it. I get the tackiness, but your own style pragmatic tackiness is better than showhouse tackiness.
    http://www.parisattitude.com/large/10800/31_bed1.jpg
    https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/5a/b5/e8/5ab5e86d9fbc0bd232c6b8768a04c3a6.jpg
    http://i2.cdscdn.com/pdt2/2/1/5/1/700x700/auc2009939868215/rw/lit-armoire-moderne-oxford-meuble-house.jpg

Jaysus.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

Even worse if they're in the bathroom!
    Sliding out of the shower isn't fun!

Or in the kitchen ! When we first viewed the house, which we bought eventually, I said : over my dead body.:D

It had natural coloured wool carpet in the livingroom and black shiny tiles in the hallway. White shiny tiles in every bathroom and the kitchen. Lethal !

When the price came down considerably, we went for it and changed every floor in the house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭mikeoneilly

Gates that are out of proportion to the wall or house

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

sadie1502 wrote: »
    Hahaha funny it has some of the above mentioned the brick wallpaper we just moved in October so I like it until we can get tiles and kitchen ripped out . Our sitting room is lovely but again ye on here would probably hate it its all subjective but I'm not ashamed of it its our taste it's clean and until we get the money together to do it up it will work just fine.

Ah hold yer whist.

I dont think anyone is judging anyone here. I have things in my home that feature on this thread too. It doesnt mean that you are some sort of poor reprobate if you have things in your home that others find tacky.

Theres stuff in my home that I find tacky but the other person doesnt, thats why its there.

You need to stop taking others views personally....especially on the internet.....where the bulk of people dont know you....whose opinions really dont matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,507 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Especially will scrolls and elaborate decorative bits all over them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,507 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Checker board effect done with tiles. Especially black and white

Oh, enamel family name crests. Havent seen them since the 80's....anyone still have them?

Ah hold yer whist.

I dont think anyone is judging anyone here. I have things in my home that feature on this thread too. It doesnt mean that you are some sort of poor reprobate if you have things in your home that others find tacky.

Theres stuff in my home that I find tacky but the other person doesnt, thats why its there.

You need to stop taking others views personally....especially on the internet.....where the bulk of people dont know you....whose opinions really dont matter.

Jaysus put a sock in it. I don't I don't give two flying ****es I'm just saying is all.

Youre a person that says calm down a lot I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,763 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

A neighbour of my parents lives in a 70s bungalow and a few years ago put in these gates and piers that dwarf the walls around them, big arched gates that would be better suited to a country manor... Laughable and über tacky. Another neighbour stuck a portico onto his 70s bungalow and it looks ridiculous, adding no value, not even protecting the door.
    I grew up with artex and dado rails and lino in our 70s bungalow though!!!! :) I'll take those over 'live laugh love' any day...But I don't have any of it in my own house. There is magnolia paint in one room though.... :o

• Advertisement

Those long fluorescent lights God they are awful. Lino yuk. Pebble dash hate it. Pine anything hate it. Those mats near toilets vomit.

Jaysus put a sock in it. I don't I don't give two flying ****es I'm just saying is all.

Youre a person that says calm down a lot I reckon.

Calm down, calm down.

If you didnt give "two flying ****es" you wouldnt be so defensive.

I dont give three flying ducks what your tacky house looks like. Now go iron those doileys and talk to your porcelain dolls.

Unwind yerself and have a good day.

Calm down, calm down.

If you didnt give "two flying ****es" you wouldnt be so defensive.

I dont give three flying ducks what your tacky house looks like. Now go iron those doileys and talk to your porcelain dolls.

Unwind yerself and have a good day.

Laughing here how annoying are you. Very I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

What do they mean, those white statues in inner city windows?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Splishsplash

That brick wall paper is not for me especially on the chimney breast. 😷 hate them mats around the toilets, p*ss collectors! Cream leather couches aswel aaaaah. Cream carpets.... Wallpaper on the chimney breast in general.

Hanging baskets...especially empty ones

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Kewreeuss wrote: »
    What do they mean, those white statues in inner city windows?

Read the article in the link

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

buried wrote: »
    I also go all "George Hook in full drama mode" about the "Dermot Bannon extension". I'm shamelessly using him as a scapegoat, but it seems to be every architect these days, who can't think further than steel beams, windows walls or rectangular window slots (black frame preferably), timber cladding, and maybe a touch of a) concrete b) grey slate c) industrial metal panels
    +1.

Glass dining tables. Faux anything. Wood, stone, metal.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Oh nearly forgot terracotta tiles or anything terracotta. Hate the colour. Tack city.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,298 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Plastic carpet protectors.

Ugh

Have not seen them since the nineties

Remember one particularly bad case where the owners had gaffer taped the thing all down the length of each side to the carpet to stop it moving when walked upon :(

• Advertisement

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Fads! For the last year or so, thousands of sheeple have been out in Woodie's buying up all the grey paint they can get their uninspired hands on, to paint walls or doors, architraves and skirting boards.

Don't they realise that this trend is going to date their design 'ideas' very quickly? So tacky to just follow what's in the latest issue of whatever home magazine you are reading right now...
    What happened, did people take 50 shades of grey to heart or did the navy overorder on ship paint and got a fashion guru to "sell" it. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,192 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

I find myself looking at my house in a whole different light this morning . .

I don't like curtains with those eyelet tops to go through curtain poles or pine doors pine staircases pine floors accompanied by black leather couches and huge flat screen televisions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

Corkgirl18 wrote: »
    I came across a soft cushioned toilet seat recently. Seriously creeped me out.

I can't stop laughing at this and I don't even know why! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,298 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Oh nearly forgot terracotta tiles or anything terracotta. Hate the colour. Tack city.

Stay away from the Med then

lawred2 wrote: »
    Stay away from the Med then

Yeah I know place is littered with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

listermint wrote: »
    How can you have original thought if the goal is to mute the walls into the house and also outside perspective and bring the eye to things it should be brought to.

The original thought then comes from the views out the window , art , furniture .

I think your confused on the purpose of the colour palette and that's ok.
    No, I think you're confused about my post and don't understand me very well and that's okay.

Grey is ok in and of itself, muting colour to attract the eye to something else is fine but thousands of sheeple all doing the same thing without understanding why they are doing it or how they might use another colour to achieve the same effect is not okay. But hey, if you're that defensive about it, that's okay too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

I discount posts with the term sheeple in them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

I find myself looking at my house in a whole different light this morning . .

I don't like curtains with those eyelet tops to go through curtain poles or pine doors pine staircases pine floors accompanied by black leather couches and huge flat screen televisions

I don't have those curtains but they seem to work well when I've seen them in hotels and it seems more like a general improvement in function than form.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,208 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Some of the stuff you see on social media is gawdy at best.

Seen one recently where the entire kitchen splashback was like LCD screens and there was moving images on them.....awful.

Edit: found it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWjpBznbJfA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,790 ✭✭✭✭listermint

r3nu4l wrote: »
    No, I think you're confused about my post and don't understand me very well and that's okay.

Grey is ok in and of itself, muting colour to attract the eye to something else is fine but thousands of sheeple all doing the same thing without understanding why they are doing it or how they might use another colour to achieve the same effect is not okay. But hey, if you're that defensive about it, that's okay too.

Ah I'm glad you speak for thousands of people.

That's okay.

Advertisement