Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home improvements you find tacky

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

r3nu4l wrote: »
    No, I think you're confused about my post and don't understand me very well and that's okay.

Grey is ok in and of itself, muting colour to attract the eye to something else is fine but thousands of sheeple all doing the same thing without understanding why they are doing it or how they might use another colour to achieve the same effect is not okay. But hey, if you're that defensive about it, that's okay too.

I love the grey trend at the moment! I've grey in lots of rooms in our house.
    The living room off the kitchen is grey with black (mirrors, lamps etc) and my bedroom is grey with lots of soft blush pinks. I have no doubt I'll get fed up looking at it soon but i enjoy changing around the interior design. I'd hate to paint my house/rooms and pray that I won't have to bother with again for the next 5 years

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Picture frames with FAMILY written all over them and prints that say "LIVE LAUGH LOVE". Ugh.

I've seen some tacky houses through work but you've seen nothing until you're inside a traveller house. Life size Holy Mary statues in the living room with a circle of candles around her.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Any of that writing you stick up on walls.

One for the nursery, "we had a dream and you came true".

Pass me a bucket.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

NIMAN wrote: »
    Some of the stuff you see on social media is gawdy at best.

Seen one recently where the entire kitchen splashback was like LCD screens and there was moving images on them.....awful.

Edit: found it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWjpBznbJfA

WTF!! That's an assault on the eyes and how could you clean that.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,949 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

NIMAN wrote: »
    Any of that writing you stick up on walls.

One for the nursery, "we had a dream and you came true".

Pass me a bucket.
    Clocks stopped at the time kids were born, with pics of the babies underneath - bad enough in nurseries, but worse, I've seen them (in pictures) in living rooms.

I had no idea this was a thing until recently, and when I saw it first I thought it was because the babies had been stillborn or died or something :eek:

Creeps me out no end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

House worth 400k on over a half acre site and they feel the only correct place to put the clothes line is in the front garden.
    Nothing nicer than seeing a line of bed clothes shirts and knickers blowing in the breeze on a june day in front of an otherwise beautiful house.
    Next door house also built in early naughties wrapped in stone and they come along 3 yrs ago and whitewash it in emulsion. A mortal sin.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,949 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Red-brick frontage painted. Who thinks that's a good idea?

(There's a house near me with the bottom half of the frontage painted gloss red, with the windows/sills/door frame/garden wall all in a mix of white and mint green :eek:. Think there might be a bit of yellow in the mix as well somewhere, I'm afraid to look these days)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

Anything decorative bought in the dunnes home section.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,348 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Maybe you're using them wrong...

I've a relative with them and we all find them really uncomfortable and have found others uncomfortable. We've might just being unlucky in the ones We've sat on tough!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Aglomerado wrote: »
    People who have those deserve to be beaten.

Garotte them with their matching Live Laugh Love tshirts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

I hate pvc windows and doors. So that's most windows and doors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I think if you're happy and comfortable in your house, it doesn't matter what way you have it decorated. Other people's taste doesn't bother me all that much.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,143 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Don't mind the knicky knacky noodle things to be honest, though they are just dust collectors.

The only thing that makes me cringe a bit inside is a tiny 'bar' in someone's living room, not a few bottles in a press, a proper imitation bar counter and row of optics. Horrid.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I think if you're happy and comfortable in your house, it doesn't matter what way you have it decorated. Other people's taste doesn't bother me all that much.

I agree with that up to the point. I hate the pretension. I don't mind if there are Jesus pictures with blinking harts, fairy lights, beige leather sofas or whatever else. But it does look ridiculous when a modernish midtown terrace starts pretending it's something from Downtown Abbey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Piriz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

Same here really.

Piriz wrote: »

It's like they read my mind and pulled out every tacky thing I hate. It's literally all there.

Plastic windows
    Glossy floor tile
    Corner bath
    Caravan style overhead lockers
    Overly ornate furniture
    Florals
    Pelmets
    White Victorian-style lampost
    Cobbly driveway
    Ornate plastic fascia
    Plastic windows and doors
    Pillars
    Ornate chandeliers
    Poorly fitted electric fire in faux vintage fireplace
    So many cushions you can't actually sit on the sofa
    Literal gold literal carriage clock in breakfast nook
    Poorly maintained decking...

....it's FANTASTIC!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

spurious wrote: »
    Don't mind the knicky knacky noodle things to be honest, though they are just dust collectors.

The only thing that makes me cringe a bit inside is a tiny 'bar' in someone's living room, not a few bottles in a press, a proper imitation bar counter and row of optics.Horrid.

Yes, I think that would make me cringe alright. I haven't seen it except on Corrie :D when the Duckies used to have it, together with the stone cladding outside :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

If you went out of your way to make a house tacky, you couldn't do better than that. That is gold medal standard.

Having said that, it was nice when cycling through the photos to get to the backyard shots, at least there was no shine outside, my eyes were blinded looking at the internal photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,964 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

ornament house, must not touch anything!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

House painted in the local or County GAA colours.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

It's 100% polar opposite to my taste, but it's clearly been someone's pride & joy. They've invested a lot in it.

dudara wrote: »
    It's 100% polar opposite to my taste, but it's clearly been someone's pride & joy. They've invested a lot in it.

Yeah, someone committed themselves so wholeheartedly to that look, they must love it.

I actually think the person who owns that house might be from another culture, that kind of style is pretty par for the course in Southern Italy and parts of Asia.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Deedsie wrote: »
    To be honest I love seeing people taking pride in the upkeep of their homes. The council semi d is not exactly aesthetically pleasing.

Fair play if they try to do them up a bit. Now the problem comes in when some of their tastes are not the best.

It's not that. It's the middle classes pretending they have centuries of heirloom from their British gentry ancestors and the oldest thing is actually 20 years old.

Taste is subjective, I just prefer authenticity even if it comes in shape of plastic flowers and china dolls.

Anyway that house in the link above reminds me of houses in Gomorrah. Some Napalese mafioso would feel very comfortable there.

I have to give it to them tough they were very consistent on keeping it tacky!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Piriz

in its defence the finish on almost everything is superb; few gaps, no botch jobs, spotlessly clean etc.. to the point it would be a shame to rip it out.. lets hope this house finds its rightful O'Connor I mean owner..

Candie wrote: »
    I actually think the person who owns that house might be from another culture, that kind of style is pretty par for the course in Southern Italy and parts of Asia.

I was actually going to say it looked like a house from My big fat Gypsy Wedding/Communion!

in its defence the finish on almost everything is superb; few gaps, no botch jobs, spotlessly clean etc.. to the point it would be a shame to rip it out.. lets hope this house finds its rightful O'Connor I mean owner..

:eek::D coffee ran out my nose :)

Did anyon e else notice the banister rails on the staircase? Yup, also gilded in gold paint.

But fair play to them it is obviously their pride and job. Could eat your dinner of that floor

I was actually going to say it looked like a house from My big fat Gypsy Wedding/Communion!

I thought so too, first time I saw this house. But its lack of religious idolatry, makes me question that now.
    I think its more 'Shahs' of Sunset'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Candie wrote: »
    Yeah, someone committed themselves so wholeheartedly to that look, they must love it.

That was my thought too, felt quite Italian in ways.

Advertisement