Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Running, Corona Virus and Social Distancing

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Beast from the east for a week would work wonders. Clocks go forward this weekend just adds to the issues next week

Yeah Beast from the East was awesome, great times wandering around in the storm and most people inside, could pretend I was in the arctic at some points. Someone pointed out that later evening runs are now possible and people tend not to venture out past 7 or 8 in parks.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭fasterbetter

I'm a jogger

Jog mainly in the phoenix Park a fantastic shared resource for everyone which we will really miss if it is closed

Really disappointed since Covid 19 to see the pure ignorance of so many joggers who insist on running on the paths screwing up everyone else's attempts to social distance...people walking together try and walk at opposite sides of the paths...but the joggers run up the middle between them....coming from behind and passing people with inches to spare...

Not hard to run on the grass this time of year!!

Just because we jog and are reasonably healthy doesn't mean we are immune or have a right to infect others!!

Fasterbetter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,674 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I don't mind people out jogging , but find it irritating in confined spaces, one common walking area near me is the Sandymount Nature reserve out to Poolbeg, its exactly 3 people wide yet on a half hour I spent walking both way in the more confined area I must have been passed by 20 to 30 joggers from behind almost heavy breathing down my neck, while trying to keep distance with people passing the other way. Pick a time when the tide is out and jog on the beach its literally a km wide with the tide out

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

silverharp wrote: »
    I don't mind people out jogging , but find it irritating in confined spaces, one common walking area near me is the Sandymount Nature reserve out to Poolbeg, its exactly 3 people wide yet on a half hour I spent walking both way in the more confined area I must have been passed by 20 to 30 joggers from behind almost heavy breathing down my neck, while trying to keep distance with people passing the other way. Pick a time when the tide is out and jog on the beach its literally a km wide with the tide out

Would the same not apply to yourself? Pick a time when the tide is out to got outside and walk on the beach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,674 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Would the same not apply to yourself? Pick a time when the tide is out to got outside and walk on the beach.

its not the same , im not passing anyone walking and Im not breathing heavily or sweating. Also it was my lunch hour so walking I would be doing anyway , there ought not be that many joggers around mid week

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

its not the same , im not passing anyone walking and Im not breathing heavily or sweating. Also it was my lunch hour so walking I would be doing anyway , there ought not be that many joggers around mid week

What's breathing and sweating got to do with it? It is also jogger's lunchtime.

Unless they are touching you, you have nothing to be concern about

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

I'm a jogger

Jog mainly in the phoenix Park a fantastic shared resource for everyone which we will really miss if it is closed

Really disappointed since Covid 19 to see the pure ignorance of so many joggers who insist on running on the paths screwing up everyone else's attempts to social distance...people walking together try and walk at opposite sides of the paths...but the joggers run up the middle between them....coming from behind and passing people with inches to spare...

Just because we jog and are reasonably healthy doesn't mean we are immune or have a right to infect others!!

Fasterbetter

B.s.

Phoenix park grass can be very deceiving. Some very uneven ground under some long grass.

Social distancing is primarily about longer durations together then 1 sec it takes go by someone

The corona virus does not get transmitted via sweat or breath.
    Also, joggers have lunchtime hours as well in case you had not realised.

I do have issues with runners who keep squeezing right between 2 people who are trying to keep their distance but I very much disagree with the view that nobody should be allowed to run on the same path at the same time as you are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

I'm a jogger

Fasterbetter

You cannot "infect" somebody just by running past them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

hold on, it does get transmitted through breath though i mean why else am i standing 2 meters away from my parents

im pro footpath running btw i just want this clarified!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Hedgehoggy

IvoryTower wrote: »
    hold on, it does get transmitted through breath though i mean why else am i standing 2 meters away from my parents

My understanding is that it isn't transfered through breath per se. It's not airborne like other viruses. But droplets in coughs or sneezes would land on surfaces and the virus survives on surfaces... I'm open to correction.

Its all getting tetchy now... ppl getting irate with others, giving out, glaring, being unpleasant....

IvoryTower wrote: »

Fair enough, if someone breathes right onto you then yes, the can cause transmission (not that I'm a virologist, I'm just repeating what I keep reading)

But I'd think there is a reason why they keep telling us that you have to be within 2 meters of someone for 15 minutes to be at risk of infection.

Well, I guess that whole discussion just became obsolete, for the next 2 weeks at least.

Stay at home, folks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Lockdown is here.
    Only brief exercise, not traveling more than 2km from your house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭token56

So....only allowed brief exercise within 2km of your home. Going to make things a bit tricky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

token56 wrote: »
    So....only allowed brief exercise within 2km of your home. Going to make things a bit tricky.

The weekend long run is going to become pretty repetitive for starters!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭token56

druss wrote: »
    The weekend long run is going to become pretty repetitive for starters!

Yeah, certainly changes my plans for runs this weekend. Oh well, we've got to do it.

You’ve potentially a lap of up to 14km with 1km out, a 12km radius and 1km back. Good thing is that there won’t be many cars on the road, so no problem with running in urban areas where normally crossing all the roads would be too much of a pain. Could be quite a refreshing change to enjoy quiet streets which would not normally be runnable

Yeah, but it's "-brief physical exercise within 2km of home".

Open to interpretation, i suppose. My long run is for half marathon training, so it would be considered brief by someone doing ultra stuff. Right? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Kind of annoying for me in that I would jump in the car and drive to remote hills and other spots (beach) and do my sessions there. There are no hills within 2km radius of where I live. Ironically, I'll now be running in a more crowded spot as the local park is now the only place to do a session.

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Kind of annoying for me in that I would jump in the car and drive to remote hills and other spots (beach) and do my sessions there. There are no hills within 2km radius of where I live. Ironically, I'll now be running in a more crowded spot as the local park is now the only place to do a session.

Swap ya! I live on top of a hill, but have a series of speed sessions coming up that I can't see anyway of doing properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

You don't have to run. If it's a choice between a crowded park or staying at home stay at home. Do circuit training instead or weights if you have them. If neither rest for 2 weeks.

druss wrote: »
    Yeah, but it's "-brief physical exercise within 2km of home".

Open to interpretation, i suppose. My long run is for half marathon training, so it would be considered brief by someone doing ultra stuff. Right? :)

There aren't going to be any marathons for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭LaHaine

The brief part is tricky. Under an hour?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭micar

Usually take the dogs out from a run at the weekends and drive about 6km outside the town.

Usually meet a handful of people.

Mapped a run around where I live.... a 3 mile loop. Better get used to it.

• Advertisement

There aren't going to be any marathons for a long time.

I'm aware of that. I'm being somewhat flippant while pointing out that "brief" will have different meanings for different people.

For me, it doesn't really matter. I'll miss my long run, but will get over it.

Run at 7am and it won't be crowded. Park right beside me , using it most mornings at 7am

LaHaine wrote: »

Who be timing it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,034 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Question is, can you bring yourself to hit "Discard Activity" on your Garmin when you see the Gardaí coming your way ;)

Stark wrote: »
    Question is, can you bring yourself to hit "Discard Activity" on your Garmin when you see the Gardaí coming your way ;)

Gardai wont have the powers to do anything tomorrow and in fairness wont have the man power.

Cant drive in the park

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Yeah running local loop grand. But gardaí nod on first sight. Dozens of laps and an hour later the pass again. Then what...

Stravas be going into incognito mode

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Can we not just observe the guidance rather than trying to beat it? :confused: If I can observe rules around bandit runs, bib transfer and racing with earphones, surely I can run within a 2k radius of home for two weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Our training ground is closed so up and down the road outside my house , sigh

Murph_D wrote: »
    Can we not just observe the guidance rather than trying to beat it? :confused: If I can observe rules around bandit runs, bib transfer and racing with earphones, surely I can run within a 2k radius of home for two weeks.

The furtherest part of the park is 1.5k from my house so will observe the rules

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Suck it up people. We're being asked to follow guidelines. Being allowed out atall is an absolute blessing given what's happening in other countries. Be thankful, find a 2k loop (which by the way could be a massive amount of ground depending on where you live) and stick to it for a few weeks.

As for the whole walkers vs runners debate, we're in a time where we need to be all a bit more patient and respectful with eachother. Yes some people feel uncomfortable seeing a heavy breathing runner coming near them. If you're a runner you should make a point of keeping your distance. If that involves jumping onto long lumpy grass then so be it. If it means stopping for a second to let someone pass then do it.

We can all do with maybe being a little kinder to each other in very stressful times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,000 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Suck it up people. We're being asked to follow guidelines. Being allowed out atall is an absolute blessing given what's happening in other countries. Be thankful, find a 2k loop (which by the way could be a massive amount of ground depending on where you live) and stick to it for a few weeks.

As for the whole walkers vs runners debate, we're in a time where we need to be all a bit more patient and respectful with eachother. Yes some people feel uncomfortable seeing a heavy breathing runner coming near them. If you're a runner you should make a point of keeping your distance. If that involves jumping onto long lumpy grass then so be it. If it means stopping for a second to let someone pass then do it.

We can all do with maybe being a little kinder to each other in very stressful times.

Post of the week IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭4Ad

LaHaine wrote: »

I'm confused at the 'brief' part also ?
    I can keep within 2km of my house, running back and forth, I only pass one inhabited house..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Post of the week IMO.

Feck...... there’s a competition? I’ll try harder next week.

Seriously though, spare a thought for our cycling cousins. 2k maximum and no cake shops open....they're fupped!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭ooter

the polo grounds is 1 mile from my home, looks like I might be able to sneak a few runs in but if i'm told to head home I will no bother.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭TopOfTheHill

Found this tool this morning ... https://www.mapdevelopers.com/draw-circle-tool.php

Pick a point, draw the 2km circle and then you can see what roads are within the area.

I am lucky to live in the countryside, so have a couple of loops within my local 2km circle that will give me 10km running. Its very rural, so I don't usually pass anyone when doing these in normal circumstances, so expect no contact this morning.

I didn't pick up on the 'brief' part, but I guess that is relative.

And as the name suggest - its now hilly training, whereas before it was nice flat runs along the beach.

Found this tool this morning ... https://www.mapdevelopers.com/draw-circle-tool.php

Pick a point, draw the 2km circle and then you can see what roads are within the area.

I am lucky to live in the countryside, so have a couple of loops within my local 2km circle that will give me 10km running. Its very rural, so I don't usually pass anyone when doing these in normal circumstances, so expect no contact this morning.

And as the name suggest - its now hilly training, whereas before it was nice flat runs along the beach.

Your not meant to do 10km. Your allowed to do 2km. Obey the rules for everyone's benefit

Easier version https://2kmfromhome.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭TopOfTheHill

Your not meant to do 10km. Your allowed to do 2km. Obey the rules for everyone's benefit

My understanding (and I think a lot more than me) was that stay within 2km of home ..

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭martin101

My understanding (and I think a lot more than me) was that stay within 2km of home ..

You are right.

martin101 wrote: »
    You are right.

It was meant in the spirit that everyone can get out and take in exercise within 2km of their home such as a walk or short run.

It's not to allow a bunch of self absirbed selfish runners get their 10km in by running around local roads until they reach 10km.

Remember everyone in your area can take 2km of exercise. There is a limited amount of room.
    Older people out for a walk don't want to have to deal with numerous runners hogging roads or paths and neither do youger ones for that matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭echancrure

Murph_D wrote: »

True.

But then it should not stop us from using our brains: a 20 minutes run in a park where you pass 10 people even 2 meters apart is not better than an hour run on a road where you pass absolutely no one, even though the first exercise may be described as brief and the other not.

Or doing a 1k loop 10 times near home when you pass others is within the rules but worse than doing an out and back 5k totally on your own.

Keep in mind that the spirit and science of the rule is to avoid / reduce a maximum any physical proximity; count the number of times you pass someone and if it reaches 2 then go home immediately and try another route and/or at another time.

I understand it is not easy to come up with good rules, but perhaps if the restriction had been framed using the number of people you come across, it would have been more adequate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭andrew1977

I live in the countryside, will run 2k one way from my house , run back , then run 2km the other way
    and back .That will give me 8k in total and not breaking any rules.
    That’s fine isn’t it ?
    I need to do a bit of exercise , running has helped my mental help massively since I took it up .

Stay safe everyone

It was meant in the spirit that everyone can get out and take in exercise within 2km of their home such as a walk or short run.

It's not to allow a bunch of self absirbed selfish runners get their 10km in by running around local roads until they reach 10km.

Remember everyone in your area can take 2km of exercise. There is a limited amount of room.
    Older people out for a walk don't want to have to deal with numerous unners hogging roads or paths and neither do youger ones for that matter.

The 'rule' is that you can be out for 'brief individual personal exercise within 2km of your own home'. Nothing at all on there about 'self absorbed selfish runners', or that you have to stop after 2k total. 'Brief' is the limit (which is a relative term). That's all.

• Advertisement

andrew1977 wrote: »
    I live in the countryside, will run 2k one way from my house , run back , then run 2km the other way
    and back .That will give me 8k in total and not breaking any rules.
    That’s fine isn’t it ?
    I need to do a bit of exercise , running has helped my mental help massively since I took it up .

Stay safe anyone

Yes, of course that's fine, whether you live in the countryside or not. There was no distinction made between urban/rural locations.

Advertisement