Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rikand's Walrus Reveal!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Clarabel

Ectoplasm wrote: »
    Yeah, really enjoying the different songs. I sense a new playlist...Boards Beats perhaps :)

I am just creating one. Spotify has a few of the version missing though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Clarabel

Rikand wrote: »
    2nd Place :: Ben Folds - B!tches aint sh!t (Dr. Dre Cover Version) [NSFW or for Children or people of a sensitive nature]

I smiled and I laughed the whole way through this. I dont think I have ever heard the original before but it made me pay attention to how graphically sexually explicit rap songs can be and Ben Folds made me laugh the whole way through it. I went and checked out the same version, but with lyrics printed on the screen this morning just to get a full appreciation for the content of the song and it delivered! He sings it in such a wonderfully soft tone that contrasts so severely with the language in use. Strong lyrics, sung by such a gentle voice. I've always had a passing interest in Ben Folds, like Rocking the Suburbs, but I have found a new love after this.

with lyrics printed on screen if you like that sort of thing :: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-l-c3rTlnE

2nd Place - 14 points to
    mollyb60

I LOVE this Dr Dre rap using Hamilton cords. Incredible

My heart is overflowing with love for this MOLLY, did you know this?

Apologies to Rikand but I'll Pimp Ectos game here.

Until we get a Walrus sign up notification thread it might not be a bad idea to do this after sign up, has closed on others threads

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057994092

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,424 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

People can just follow the already created walrus signups thread if they want to keep a check on things in the meantime :)

whoops :o

I like 3, at the least 2nd choice songs for this do people post that kind of thing or save them for future walrus.

We could run ultimate walrus or xafctor walrus at some stage.

Songs and genres decided by each judge points same and a combination, score

It'd probably take ages but it could be fun

Lol <3

I like 3, at the least 2nd choice songs for this do people post that kind of thing or save them for future walrus.

We could run ultimate walrus or xafctor walrus at some stage.

Songs and genres decided by each judge points same and a combination, score

It'd probably take ages but it could be fun

Yeah, you'd need people who could commit the time but I have seen walruses done with 2 judges, I think they averaged out their scores to get the placings though. Either way, yes, can be done and is fun, especially for the entrants as you're trying to match categories while trying to balance moderator preferences and set their world alight lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Absolutely delighted with second for this category. I almost chose a different song for this but the Ben Folds version is just so funny I couldn't resist it. Folds is one of my favourite singers ever and is ****ing fantastic fun live. Saw him perform this song last year in Belfast and the crowd went ****ing nuts for it. Then we had a dance party at the end of it and life was good.

Tempted to post my original choice to see what people think...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,410 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Caught up on all of these yesterday

The Disturbed cover of Sound of Silence is great, that was new to me

The Ben Folds cover is, by turns, amazing, hilarious, terrifying. I don't know if "like" would be the right word but I thought it was amazing

Still can't believe no-one picked this :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,455 ✭✭✭tritium

They both would have done very well.

Still provisionally planning on a Tuesday evening reveal for next category but struggling to rank songs aorn. I have a clear top3 and a clear bottom3 and no idea what to do with what's in between

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,164 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Rikand wrote:
    Still provisionally planning on a Tuesday evening reveal for next category but struggling to rank songs aorn. I have a clear top3 and a clear bottom3 and no idea what to do with what's in between

I'm scared, due to previous comments :pac:

... a clear bottom3

giphy.gif

It sort of feels like we're being judged ourselves. It's kinda nerve wracking! :D

Still can't believe no-one picked this :P

Ah the 90s...what a time :D

I almost submitted this instead of my Pearl Jam cover entry...

Haunting.

It sort of feels like we're being judged ourselves. It's kinda nerve wracking! :D

At least its subjective judging though :)

Wonderwall, I don't really mind wonderwall

I actually started to like it back in the 90's because of mike flowers. Developed more of an appreciation for it when it wasn't Liam Gallagher singing

Reveal will start during or just after love island depending on how glued I am to it lol

• Advertisement

Rikand wrote:
    Reveal will start during or just after love island depending on how glued I am to it lol

I was literally coming here to ask about what time as I have a date with alcohol this evening :)

And for those of us who don't want that in our Google search history, what time does Love Island finish at? :D

And for those of us who don't want that in our Google search history, what time does Love Island finish at?

10pm I believe. Baggly told me anyways :P

I'm heading out for a walk with the dogs, will be back after 10pm to hopefully hear some more new songs that I like.

Just having my dinner and then I'll start the reveal

(Late dinner cause I worked late :( )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,330 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Do you have these pre scripted or is it flow of consciousness posting Rikand?

• Advertisement

fixxxer wrote: »
    Do you have these pre scripted or is it flow of consciousness posting Rikand?

It is a pre-scripted flow of consciousness :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Barney92

Just having my dinner and then I'll start the reveal

(Late dinner cause I worked late :( )

Late dinner here too. Does that move me up a few spots by any chance? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Songs with great intros

This is my favourite song intro of all time :)

Now, I wasnt expecting people to deliver intros of this length or of this variety or of this awesomeness. An intro can mean so many things :D The mean objective was to deliver good songs!

On the whole, I didnt enjoy this category as much as I enjoyed the Covers category but howandever, lets get on with the reveal for Category 2!

And while we're waiting for song 1, here's an extended version of that Great great intro :D

One more thing. I dont typically know who has submitted everything. I have all the songs grabbed from everyone, put into a word pad file, mixed around and then I listen to them. I get a little surprise too when it comes to reveal time and I discover who it is that submitted what when I go back through my list of PMs :D

She sells sanctuary was in my head for this one!!!

• Advertisement

I think I'm gonna be last for this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭Pretzill

I think I'm gonna be last for this!

I'm fearing the same :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,455 ✭✭✭tritium

Pretzill wrote: »
    I'm fearing the same :)

I think we all are

It's cool folks, I'm here to take the fall for ye all ;)

15th Place :: Death Cab for Cutie - Brothers on a hotel bed

The thing about death cab for me is you kinda have to be in the right mood and frame of mind to enjoy them. Like, Follow you into the dark is probably their song I know best and I liked it, but it worked for me at a time when I was kinda in that frame of mind and I'm not in that frame of mind anymore so the song has lost that sheen. This death cab song is one of those songs where I feel I would have to be in the right frame of mind to really enjoy it. And after listening to it for 4-5 days, not once did I enter that frame of mind. The intro is a very nice tinkle of the piano keys. The song in general has a nice beat to it but I just never enjoyed the vocal at all. If this had been an instrumental, I probably would have enjoyed it a lot more

15th place - 1 point to
    Deleted User

Woohoo not last this time! I'm chalking that down as a win folks :pac:

One of my favorite ever songs is a death cab for cutie song.

Actually Rikand mentioned it there, for some reason I havent listened to much of there stuff, so I must actually do that. (memo to self)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Can't listen in at the moment - looking forward to all these picks :)

14th Place :: Oasis - Stand by me

Like.... it was good..... it was okay....okay.....yeah, it was okay. Like the intro was nice, short bit of guitar, played well and Liam, well, he was Liam. I was like, maybe he won't be too insufferable but then he said the word "learn" and I was like, yeah typical Liam Gallagher. The chorus is pretty okay though. If the song was all chorus, like Champagne Supernova, maybe it might have been up a couple of places more, but, well, like, its okay....its not bad..... its decent.

It's not great either though.

14th Place - 2 points to
    You guessed it!
    Necro

I’ve never listened to that band before. Heard the name alright.

• Advertisement

Pretzill wrote: »
    Can't listen in at the moment - looking forward to all these picks :)

Likewise, having to follow in silence which is frustrating. Will listen to them all tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭osh

I’ve never listened to that band before. Heard the name alright.

Oasis? :D

Didn't need to guess. I predict all Necros songs are by Oasis (or Blur)

Has Necro gone for Oasis for every round? :P

Awww, that's one of their best songs too and arguably their best intro...

Thankfully for Rikands sake (and my point scoring LOL) it's the last of Liam from me :pac:

osh wrote: »
    Oasis? :D

:D

He took that Oasis or Blur arguement to heart a while back :P

Has Necro gone for Oasis for every round?

Nah... almost did but it felt a bit one dimensional :pac:

osh wrote:
    Didn't need to guess. I predict all Necros songs are by Oasis (or Blur)

Sacrilege!!!

Top 3 Hype

Our remaining contestants
    Barney
    Mollyb
    partyjungle

Just found this thread now. Very exciting so far. I can't even remember which song I submitted :pac:

• Advertisement

Just found this thread now. Very exciting so far. I can't even remember which song I submitted :pac:

Harvest moon

Advertisement