Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your New WHS Index

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

I have had someone report to me that someone is boasting that they will get their handicap to 18 by the time comps start

Check his handicap and 7 rounds entered already. Passed his soft cap of 15.1 (now 16.5) and is well on way to get to getting to 17.1 which will get him his course handicap of 18

Say it to other handicap committee members. One replies and say that he wouldnt do that. He is my mate!

Worse still is the guy is ex handicap secretary.

There is no point been on committee if no one will allow you act!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

gypsy79 wrote: »
    I have had someone report to me that someone is boasting that they will get their handicap to 18 by the time comps start

Check his handicap and 7 rounds entered already. Passed his soft cap of 15.1 (now 16.5) and is well on way to get to getting to 17.1 which will get him his course handicap of 18

Say it to other handicap committee members. One replies and say that he wouldnt do that. He is my mate!

Worse still is the guy is ex handicap secretary.

There is no point been on committee if no one will allow you act!

Can't the WHS only go up a certain amount though? I mean there is a limit to how many shots you can gain over a certain period.

Uploaded a score today. On the Golf Ireland app I now have 17 scores but it's still only using my best 5. Pretty sure it should be best 6 now?

• Subscribers Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

macslash wrote: »
    Can't the WHS only go up a certain amount though? I mean there is a limit to how many shots you can gain over a certain period.

Uploaded a score today. On the Golf Ireland app I now have 17 scores but it's still only using my best 5. Pretty sure it should be best 6 now?

That’s the soft cap of 3 mentioned, then hard cap of 5

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

if you only entered it today, it will adjust overnight

• Registered Users Posts: 13,171 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

lob020 wrote: »
    Can someone explain this. I played 9 hole casual golf during the week and pre registered for WHS on golf Ireland. My score was 8 shots worse than my handicap over the 9 holes, in fact my worst score in last 30 rounds, but my handicap index went from 15.2 to 15.It would be great if some expert can advise, please
    Thanks
    It's easy enough to work out for yourself. You need to look at your record on the Golf Ireland website (not the app) and look at the score differentials that are marked as being part of your index. Total them and divide by 8 should give you your index.

The next part is to look at each individual counting score differential and calculate them out. The calculation is (AGS-CR-PCC)*(113/SR) If the result to one decimal place is the same as the corresponding score differential, then all is ok. If not, there may be an adjustment that isn't showing and you should ask your hcapsec.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭septicsac

Anyone have issues with the golf Ireland app crashing. Has been fine for me, but mate tried using it to set it up to enter score this morning and Everytime he tried to set it up for this mornings round the app kept crashing. He was able to attest verify my round but could do nothing for his own. His phone is a Samsung high end, so doubt it's the issue, possibly permissions ?

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭IAmTitleist

copacetic wrote: »
    That’s the soft cap of 3 mentioned, then hard cap of 5

What way does the soft cap and hard cap work?

My current "low index" is 7.5. Can the highest i go to be 10.5 or 12.5?!

The highest is 12.5 - hard cap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

OK. I am trying to figure a couple of things out.

Our club are allowing casual rounds for handicapping purposes next week. Apparently we can't do this on a competition day, which will be pretty much 6 days a week from next week on. Is this an actual rule or is this something that my cub are doing off their own bat? Seems a bit unfair.

Also, if we are putting in a casual round we have to write our 3 handicap numbers on the card. I thought the nett double bogeys would be against my course handicap, so why the need for the playing handicap?

Finally, when I look on the golf Ireland app to calculate a playing handicap for a course, it seems to list the course handicap rather than the 95% playing handicap although it clearly says "Playing" on the tee listing. That number is the course handicap isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,845 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

OK. I am trying to figure a couple of things out.

Our club are allowing casual rounds for handicapping purposes next week. Apparently we can't do this on a competition day, which will be pretty much 6 days a week from next week on. Is this an actual rule or is this something that my cub are doing off their own bat? Seems a bit unfair.

Also, if we are putting in a casual round we have to write our 3 handicap numbers on the card. I thought the nett double bogeys would be against my course handicap, so why the need for the playing handicap?

Finally, when I look on the golf Ireland app to calculate a playing handicap for a course, it seems to list the course handicap rather than the 95% playing handicap although it clearly says "Playing" on the tee listing. That number is the course handicap isn't it?

It is my understanding that it’s not up to your club to allow or not allow. You could do it this week if you want.
    Unless you would be playing in competition time I don’t think the club would be technically allowed to deny you the opportunity to enter a casual score for counting purposes.
    I would guess though that the club are trying to either make sure they get their comp fees, which would be unfair IMO. Or else they are trying to make sure that chancers aren’t going out playing casual games ....... badly........ on purpose......

Either way, not really sure they can stop you.

And I really don’t think you have to have all 3 handicaps on your card. Index and course handicap should be sufficient for a casual game.

When we do play comps, I really hope we don’t have to remember to put 3 numbers on the card, that will be a disaster

• Advertisement

Seve OB wrote: »
    It is my understanding that it’s not up to your club to allow or not allow. You could do it this week if you want.
    Unless you would be playing in competition time I don’t think the club would be technically allowed to deny you the opportunity to enter a casual score for counting purposes.
    I would guess though that the club are trying to either make sure they get their comp fees, which would be unfair IMO. Or else they are trying to make sure that chancers aren’t going out playing casual games ....... badly........ on purpose......

Either way, not really sure they can stop you.

And I really don’t think you have to have all 3 handicaps on your card. Index and course handicap should be sufficient for a casual game.

When we do play comps, I really hope we don’t have to remember to put 3 numbers on the card, that will be a disaster

I am pretty sure this is what it is. I can see members being unhappy about this. My wife for example was delighted with this casual playing for hanicap as she gets way too nervous in comps and she is a good few shots better than her handicap. She regularly beats me hands down on stableford even if I have 36 points.

On the 3 numbers on your comp card, apparently the label printed out will have the numbers on it.

I am pretty sure this is what it is. I can see members being unhappy about this. My wife for example was delighted with this casual playing for hanicap as she gets way too nervous in comps and she is a good few shots better than her handicap. She regularly beats me hands down on stableford even if I have 36 points.

On the 3 numbers on your comp card, apparently the label printed out will have the numbers on it.
    The labels for our comps printed from Handicap Master have just the course and playing handicaps on them, but the tees have been selected at sign in. Handicap Index only comes into play when calculating CH and PH from the tees played from. So it's quite possible that they would want all three and an indication of what tees you're playing from so that they can check the card and the score.

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭paulos53

Based on the Rules of Golf the only handicap that needs to be recorded on the card is the Course Handicap.

Golf Ireland have the option to change this to the Handicap Index or Playing Handicap but I haven't heard anything about them taking this option

Personally I prefer to add the Playing Handicap also just to make it easier on the marker to see what holes I have shots on

paulos53 wrote: »
    Based on the Rules of Golf the only handicap that needs to be recorded on the card is the Course Handicap.

Golf Ireland have the option to change this to the Handicap Index or Playing Handicap but I haven't heard anything about them taking this option

Personally I prefer to add the Playing Handicap also just to make it easier on the marker to see what holes I have shots on
    I'm reading this as a request from the club to members to make it easier to check cards.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

As noted, it would be 12.5, but once you got to 3 shots ever extra shot over that soft cap would only add .5 per extra shot. So basically to get to 12.5 would involve best 8 score differentials averaging 7 shots worse than your handicap. I think there can be other factors too, but assuming working off best 8 of 20 already the above is about right.

paulos53 wrote: »

Playing Handicap could be course handicap if not in competition ?

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭WH BONNEY

Would anybody have any information or experienced the same as below.

Any plus handicap players or scratch players in our club have reverted back to their pre WHS handicap.

An example would be a person off .4 went to +.7 but is now showing as .4 again, not having played.

Another person went from 3.0 to 1.6 and remains at 1.6

Seems ridiculous and I'm assuming it's a glitch.

If anybody could shed any light on it I'd appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

WH BONNEY wrote: »
    Would anybody have any information or experienced the same as below.

Any plus handicap players or scratch players in our club have reverted back to their pre WHS handicap.

An example would be a person off .4 went to +.7 but is now showing as .4 again, not having played.

Another person went from 3.0 to 1.6 and remains at 1.6

Seems ridiculous and I'm assuming it's a glitch.

If anybody could shed any light on it I'd appreciate it.

I believe golf ireland reviewed and are rrviewing elite golfers handicap and changes were and will be made. I know of 3 in our club whos handicap were amended.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭the long lad

RGS wrote: »
    I believe golf ireland reviewed and are rrviewing elite golfers handicap and changes were and will be made. I know of 3 in our club whos handicap were amended.

This change is absolutely crazy. We have guys who were off scratch/1 under old system who now have higher handicaps than guys who were on the junior cup team last year. These guys probably shouldn't be off +1, but when the guys off 4 moved to 1.5/2, it made some sense. The fact that the guys are now all of the same because of some mad adjustment by Golf Ireland is just nonsense.

I see when using the 'player search/peer review' option on the golf Ireland app, it's now only showing the players scores. It was showing dates and courses before. Not a big deal, just an update!!

• Advertisement

I see when using the 'player search/peer review' option on the golf Ireland app, it's now only showing the players scores. It was showing dates and courses before. Not a big deal, just an update!!

I thought it was just me

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭hurikane

Bit annoying, that update.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭WH BONNEY

So by carrying out this so called review all plus and scratch players have been adjusted back to their pre WHS
    Those that were off 3 etc and were adjusted down stay at their new handicaps.

Which means in a comp like Barton Cup the governing body is facilitating cheating by endorsing these false handicaps.

An utterly bizarre and incompetent interpretation of the review mechanism

hurikane wrote: »
    Bit annoying, that update.

Ya, tbh I kind of liked seeing how the few lads changed after the weekend's score etc. Now there's no way of knowing what scores were comps or casual etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,681 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Yeah they made a balls of that last update.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

WH BONNEY wrote: »
    So by carrying out this so called review all plus and scratch players have been adjusted back to their pre WHS
    Those that were off 3 etc and were adjusted down stay at their new handicaps.

Which means in a comp like Barton Cup the governing body is facilitating cheating by endorsing these false handicaps.

An utterly bizarre and incompetent interpretation of the review mechanism

What I stated was a review was taking place and 3 players in our club had adjustments made. I doubt all elite players will go back to their previous handicap. In fact the lowest handicapped golfer in our club at +3 remains at +3.

What I stated was a review was taking place and 3 players in our club had adjustments made. I doubt all elite players will go back to their previous handicap. In fact the lowest handicapped golfer in our club at +3 remains at +3.

I don't see any changes to our elite bunch. In that the WHS h/cs have stayed unchanged.

I don't see any changes to our elite bunch. In that the WHS h/cs have stayed unchanged.
    Likewise. Downloaded pdfs of the handicaps at various stages since October and no change.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Dotzie

All plus and scratch lads in my club have reverted back to congu handicaps. Golf ireland have been contacted and response was ask your hcap secretary as details of review have been sent to your club. Nothing has been received from golf ireland to the club to explain what happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭manster

GDPR?

Advertisement