Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT discontinue lift inspections (now with places with working lifts)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

NCTS plan to have 50% of the lifts back in operation by the end of March and 100% by the end if April but there will be a backlog of underbody inspections to be carried out.

They are supposed to be taking on extra staff to help work through the backlog but I guess it will still take a month or two after all the lifts are back in service before the backlog is cleared. I'd say it will be Summer before it's fully sorted.

Where did you see or hear that?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,379 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

beauf wrote: »
    Where did you see or hear that?

https://www.ncts.ie/1115

Expand the "Temporary Suspension Of Vehicle Inspection Lift In NCTS - Update" heading. It's under the Update 14th February 2020.

https://www.ncts.ie/1115

Expand the "Temporary Suspension Of Vehicle Inspection Lift In NCTS - Update" heading. It's under the Update 14th February 2020.

Theres a few bits of new info in that....

....NCTS is planning on recruiting additional Vehicle Inspectors and increasing the operating hours of test centres...

...Where customers are waiting to undergo an underbody retest inspection only,
    ....we ask that they refrain from making any further retest bookings until NCTS confirm that you should do so.
    .......We will contact customers regarding the completion of their test.

....motorists who have completed a partial test and are waiting to complete the underbody inspection are being advised to keep a copy of their Vehicle Inspection Report with them in order to present it to a member of An Garda Síochána, if required. ....This report has been amended to clearly show that the status of the test is ‘Incomplete’ (previously this had indicated a ‘Fail’).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

Any update on Waterford

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭BamesJond

Car went through the NCT a few weeks ago and failed dangerous on something I needed to then repair. No issue with this.
    As I needed the car running I went back to get a partial pass (without the lift) and there were no issues.

Looks like Waterford NCT center cannot be booked until March 30th currently even though my NCT runs out before this.

From the latest update:
    "Where customers are waiting to undergo an underbody retest inspection only, we ask that they refrain from making any further retest bookings until NCTS confirm that you should do so. We will contact customers regarding the completion of their test."

From reading the latest update it appears I have nothing to do but wait until I'm contacted about my retest, even though I suspect I will be well out if date by the time that happens.

I've emailed them anyway to see if they can accommodate but this whole fiasco had been handled in the most Irish way possible. Something should have been done from the get-go where an official extension was placed on all cars out of test for X amount of time. Even a month or two. Instead we have a chaotic situation where cars are half tested and then waiting over a month+ to have the test completed.

Has anyone who had not initiated contact with NCT received any correspondence in relation to having the lift inspection completed?

Apparently Waterford had a lift replacement in early Feb but I have not been contacted to schedule the lift inspection.

It's all pure nonsense. They haven't got a notion what to do and how to ensure the tests are completed. The one thing we don't need is this kind of bull****tery. They are telling us they are contacting people but I would be interested to know if anyone here has been contacted by them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

I just rang them and they booked me a test in an alternative centre where the lift was working.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,437 ✭✭✭✭kippy

A2LUE42 wrote: »
    I just rang them and they booked me a test in an alternative centre where the lift was working.

What number did you ring as a matter of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

kippy wrote: »
    What number did you ring as a matter of interest?

(01) 413 5982

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭fed_u

I have an incomplete test but per the letter this has to be done by some date in March. There has been no update on my local NCT centre so is the latest that we try contact a centre with working lift and get the lift part done by the date they gave?

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭moonage

"Where customers are waiting to undergo an underbody retest inspection only, we ask that they refrain from making any further retest bookings until NCTS confirm that you should do so. We will contact customers regarding the completion of their test."

This statement from the NCT is a bit confusing. The first sentence seems to apply to people who failed the underbody inspection and are awating a retest. The second sentence seems to apply to those who only got the non-lift part of the test done and are awating its completion.

Are they using the word "retest" to refer to completion of the test? There can only be a retest for a failure during a test. I wish they were a bit more precise with their language.

• Advertisement

do you have to make a booking online for the reinspection. Im due back on March 5th but cant get an available date until march 25th

• Registered Users Posts: 5,937 ✭✭✭User1998

NCT fully completed in Northpoint 2 tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

User1998 wrote: »
    NCT fully completed in Northpoint 2 tonight

Did you notice how many lifts were in use up there? Have 2 cars going up there during the week and it'd be nice to have full tests carried out!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,937 ✭✭✭User1998

I think I saw two different lifts working at the same time. You should have both cars tested fully, you might just have to wait a few minutes extra I believe. Someone on here said they have 3 working lifts

Minime2.5 wrote: »
    do you have to make a booking online for the reinspection. Im due back on March 5th but cant get an available date until march 25th

anyone

Did you notice how many lifts were in use up there? Have 2 cars going up there during the week and it'd be nice to have full tests carried out!

Seemed to be 3 when I was there. I could be wrong, maybe it was 2. More than one anyway.

Minime2.5 wrote: »

Ring and they get one sooner.

I'm the same couldn't get a date.
    Rang, got a date I couldn't do.
    Got a second date.
    A about 2 days before my date they stopped using the lifts.
    Passed except the lift part, so a fail.
    Couldn't get a lift working or an appointment.
    Got a date on a center that the website has a working lift.
    Center does not have a working lift.
    Rescheduled to a different center.
    Did the lift part, failed. Given 7 days to resit.
    (I laughed when he handed me that)
    Can't get a mechanic in that time,
    Can't get a appointment in that time.

So I'll to ring, and do another spin the wheel on dates and guessing which centers have lifts in action.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭dkd21

Got a second date.

So I'll to ring, and do another spin the wheel on dates and guessing which centers have lifts in action.

Something not quite correct about that . 30 days should be given for rectification of any ''major'' failures from inspection date . I would say a call to the head office would clarify that quickly

The software is probably working of the original dates. Not factoring the delays due the lifts issues.

In theory I shouldn't do the lift part until they contact me (according to their website).

I had an initial inspection on the 4th in waterford. Few jobs to be done . Had to reschedule a driving test in feb because of the underbody fiasco. Was planning to get the jobs done this week. my reinspection date is march 5th. rang nct . They cant give me a reinspection before that date. No available dates yet in march or april. absolute joke.Does this mean I have to pay for the full nct again out of my pocket . my rescheduled test date is march 6th . will have to cancel again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Got a second date.

Nice how they can make their problem into your problem

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Drove past the one near me last week, door was up but no cars,normally busy so I suspect the half tests aren't being done anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭tippingpoint

Got the full test done in Ballina on Saturday. They still have the signs up in relation to the lifts being out of order but they completed the full test. NCT cert sorted til April 2022 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

bladespin wrote: »

I'm in Cork so it'll be Monday before I call, will update with the waiting time for the re-test.
    Quick update:

Ok, called them yesterday (their main number seemed to be disconnected??? so called on the number that had called me back):

They had no idea when Kells might be operating again but apparently the lifts in Fonthill are working but the centre is at capacity so I was offered Deansgrange, said ok, what's the first available: came back with the 10th of April!!!

I questioned the legality as this was pushing me way out and was told once the first (non lift test) was completed they weren't bothered about the incomplete - now I'm not so sure who the 'They' is in this case: gardai or insurance?

Our financial controller is a bit concerned about how insurance could be affected by this but couldn't get any answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

I've a pain in my hole with this aswell. My missus is due to sit her Driving test on 18 Mar have the incomplete test done in our local centre. The RSA won't let you sit the test without complete NCT cert. Can't get a new booking in a centre that can do the lift test before her driving test date. Have called them up and they're going to see what they can do but it's an absolute clusterfcuk.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I thought they were doing it for those who were due tests?

We’ve just sold my misses car privately that had the half test done. I presume they’ll still contact us even though the change of ownership will be done? Hard to know

Got a second date.

Well got the car fixed, and can't get a date in any of the centers I think have lifts working. Rang and they just say to ring back.

Others in the office have been ringing for a couple of weeks now. No dates.

So do I gamble on making a new booking and 50/50 if they have a lift, or just ignore it for a few weeks.

LOL such a shambles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Well got the car fixed, and can't get a date in any of the centers I think have lifts working. Rang and they just say to ring back.

Others in the office have been ringing for a couple of weeks now. No dates.

So do I gamble on making a new booking and 50/50 if they have a lift, or just ignore it for a few weeks.

LOL such a shambles.

don't know if they just made an error you, but I had to take mine for a retest and booked it online without any issue whatsoever.

The lift test will be done another time, but any other fail requires the normal re-test within 30 days and can be booked online as normal.

I could go back retest the non lift part, but then I have to go back again for a the lift part. That will be 4 tests.

At a time when they are struggling with demand, and backlog, does that make sense to increase the number of visits/test people have to do.

Not that I can get a non lift test within the allowed time frame anyway. (yes I know, ignore the dates)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭Speak Now

RioM wrote: »
    Nope. Is it running?

1 lane has the lift back.

Advertisement