Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Formula 1 2015: General Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Pirelli will be bringing the following tyres for the first four races:

Australia: Soft and Medium tyres.

Malaysia: Medium and Hard tyres.

China: Soft and Medium tyres.

Bahrain: Soft and Medium tyres.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭tripperman

Jordan 191 wrote: »
    Pirelli will be bringing the following tyres for the first four races:

Australia: Soft and Medium tyres.

Malaysia: Medium and Hard tyres.

China: Soft and Medium tyres.

Bahrain: Soft and Medium tyres.

rather if they put a better gap between compounds like super soft and medium it makes the pit stop strategy harder to handle and better racing to imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,299 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Is Dissapointing that Alonso will not be racing at the first race in Australia but at least it gives Magnussan a chance to race the new car. It might be the only time this season he gets to race it. One thing Mclaren have done right is they have a good reserve driver in Kevin who they know can race.
    The F1 show is on Saturday on Sky1 at 9am I think. There might be some talk about Alonso and his crash on it no doubt.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭Killinator

AMKC wrote: »
    The F1 show is on Saturday on Sky1 at 9am I think. There might be some talk about Alonso and his crash on it no doubt.

Given Brundle's apparent doubt over McLaren's version of events then it's a certainty if he's on the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭F1 fanatic

Good news. Manor will be at melbourne. Car to go through final crash test this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

What can we really expect from them given no testing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

TheDoctor wrote: »

Making it out of the garage will be something to applaud... something the McLarens might have issue with also :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

TheDoctor wrote: »

What would you have been expecting from them even if they did make test :D?

They will be at the back of the grid, they should be able to make the 107% cutoff but there won't be much margin for error. There shouldn't be any massive reliability problems from not testing because it's a modified 2014 car and all bits that are likely to go wrong are well proven from last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I haven't been fully keeping up with back marker events, are Manor the saved Marussia team? Did Chilton retain his seat?

• Advertisement

Myrddin wrote: »
    I haven't been fully keeping up with back marker events, are Manor the saved Marussia team? Did Chilton retain his seat?

Yes Manor=Marussia. Chilton is doing LMP1 with Nissan so would assume he is not coming back. They have announced Will Stevens as one of their drivers and nothing has been said about other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

F1 fanatic wrote: »
    Good news. Manor will be at melbourne. Car to go through final crash test this week.

Not so sure having another mobile chicane on a street circuit is such "good news".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

They have announced Will Stevens as one of their drivers and nothing has been said about other.

I can confirm that I will be driving the second Manor car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

He's one of our own...
    http://www.rte.ie/sport/motorsport/f1/2015/0304/684548-irish-investor-saves-manor-f1-team/

Great to have some Irish interest on the grid even if it is minor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

He might give Adam Carroll a wee drive while he's at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Who will finish higher in Aus, Manor or McLaren?

• Advertisement

He might give Adam Carroll a wee drive while he's at it.

Not a chance, at 32 Adam Carroll is long passed being a realistic prospect for F1.
    Whoever gets the drive is going to have very deep pockets which also rules him out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,684 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Well, let's see who drops out of Formula E to fill the Manor seat...watch this space!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

HighLine wrote: »
    Not so sure having another mobile chicane on a street circuit is such "good news".

Would agree here. While it is good that they managed to somehow find the money to enter again, they are using last years car with last years Ferrari engine and drive train. What's the point? They would most likely come nowhere close to the 107% rule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭Harika

My guess for Manor is Robert Frijns. https://twitter.com/RFrijns/status/572361544400564224
    For Manor it does not matter this year who sits in the car, as long as they qualify for the race and not crash the car. Meanwhile rebuild the infrastructure and start developing the 2015 and 2016 car.

giedo van is taking sauber to court for a race seat on monday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

Gio isnt racing this season ? Never really liked him anyways!

Happy enough that Manor are back! Im sure the decision was a long-term one anyways and Id say there expecting to finish back of the pack as usual (If they even finish)

Ayrtonf7 wrote: »
    Gio isnt racing this season ? Never really liked him anyways!

Happy enough that Manor are back! Im sure the decision was a long-term one anyways and Id say there expecting to finish back of the pack as usual (If they even finish)

yeah hes out, its a bit silly trying that just days before season starts, i cant think of any driver with a pot of money that complys with the new super license rules and thats available to race for manor, max is a factory lmp1 driver now so very limited options out there

tripperman wrote: »
    yeah hes out, its a bit silly trying that just days before season starts, i cant think of any driver with a pot of money that complys with the new super license rules and thats available to race for manor, max is a factory lmp1 driver now so very limited options out there

The Super License rules will only go in effect next year, else Max Verstappen wouldn't be eligible either.

Harika wrote: »
    The Super License rules will only go in effect next year, else Max Verstappen wouldn't be eligible either.

thats true thanks for the reminder had got mixed up,

Ms

logik wrote: »
    Would agree here. While it is good that they managed to somehow find the money to enter again, they are using last years car with last years Ferrari engine and drive train. What's the point? They would most likely come nowhere close to the 107% rule.

They are not using last years car they wanted to do that but it was overruled by Force India and some of the other teams. They are using a new car. There was reports that it is quite radical. Not sure how true that is. I think its great that they are back and hopefully it is a long term thing. No idea how they have managed to do it the team must be working day and night on the car. They are do using last years Ferrari engines.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Ms

Killinator wrote: »
    Given Brundle's apparent doubt over McLaren's version of events then it's a certainty if he's on the show.

The F1 show is on at 12pm on Saturday not 9am my mistake. Its does be on at 9am some weekends do.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

Imagine they did a Brawn and Will Stevens ended up Champ.

Oh, and imagine I made love to Jennifer Lawrence.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 rusty_ie2004

The F1 show is on at 12pm on Saturday not 9am my mistake. Its does be on at 9am some weekends do.

The f1 show is on Friday at 8 pm also

Harika wrote: »
    My guess for Manor is Robert Frijns. https://twitter.com/RFrijns/status/572361544400564224
    For Manor it does not matter this year who sits in the car, as long as they qualify for the race and not crash the car. Meanwhile rebuild the infrastructure and start developing the 2015 and 2016 car.

Would love to see him get the seat, there isn't too many with as good a junior record but he's always been stuck for budget. It would seriously surprise me if Manor were looking for actual talent and not deep pockets for this year.

They are not using last years car they wanted to do that but it was overruled by Force India and some of the other teams. They are using a new car. There was reports that it is quite radical. Not sure how true that is. I think its great that they are back and hopefully it is a long term thing. No idea how they have managed to do it the team must be working day and night on the car. They are do using last years Ferrari engines.

You are incorrect, the car they are using for Melbourne is essentially last years car with modification for the new regs. The Force India vote isn't relevent for the direction they have went. Their 2015 car won't be ready till several races in.
    Autosport wrote:
    The car that the team will race with in Australia is a highly modified version of its 2014 contender, and will be used until its bespoke 2015 machine is ready later in the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

I thought Gutierrez was linked with them while back. Aren't Manor using Ferrari's old engines?

• Advertisement

yeah that was mentioned and also kevin mag was rummored on account of the tech agreement they have, but dont think ether of them will drive for them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

I doubt McClaren would allow Magnussen but Ferrari might "loan" out Gutierrez. They'd still have Vergne & De La Rosa as test/reserve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Quite common, Gary Hartstein wrote this two days ago: https://formerf1doc.wordpress.com/2015/03/03/a-win-for-formula-1/

Imagine the shock of the marshals/doctors going up to Alonso and listening to him say "I'm Fernando, I'm in karts and want to become a Formula 1 driver"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

HighLine wrote: »
    Imagine the shock of the marshals/doctors going up to Alonso and listening to him say "I'm Fernando, I'm in karts and want to become a Formula 1 driver"

If this is true, then whoever is giving this info to newspapers should be sacked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,387 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

At least it still points to just his head getting a bad knock and the reason he was treated carefully

wonder was the crash similar to Maldonados last year in qualifying

irish rugby website gives guidelines of 14 days rest and 21 days before going back to playing, so maybe not unusual for Alonso to be getting the same instructions
    http://www.irishrugby.ie/downloads/IRFU-Guide-to-Concussion%282%29.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Sorry but you are incorrect there. As I have said, they will be using last years chassis and last years Ferrari engine. They don't expect to have a 2015 car ready until the racing moves to Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,684 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Haven't seen it mentioned yet here - Crash test sorted for Manor.

https://twitter.com/ManorF1Team/status/573527325574193152

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Advertisement

And then off they went to catch the plane

https://twitter.com/ManorF1Team/status/573605948188594176

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Top Dog

They managed to fit everything they need for a weekend of racing ... on one truck?! :eek:

Wonder are they focusing on just one car given the rush they're in

or have they said they'll be running 2 cars

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭JPF82

And then off they went to catch the plane

I'd say that is the main components of the car going to the airport. Other parts might be flown separately. Engines etc probably transported by Ferrari. That being said, I imagine them to be fairly light on resources for the first few races.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

Guess we should take this with a pinch of salt but the Mirror are running with a story that there are fears Alonso may never be able to drive an F1 car again.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/formula-1/fears-grow-fernando-alonso-never-5281023

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

veganrun wrote: »
    Guess we should take this with a pinch of salt but the Mirror are running with a story that there are fears Alonso may never be able to drive an F1 car again.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/formula-1/fears-grow-fernando-alonso-never-5281023

Byron is one of the top journos in the paddock so I wouldn't take it with the pinch of salt that I'd usually attribute to red tops. Cant imagine it being a long term risk though so just a case of until more is formally announced we will see a lot of these stories. I've had numerous concussions and they're not to be taken lightly but equally I wouldn't attribute this type of rest period to them based on my experiences of them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Top Dog wrote: »
    They managed to fit everything they need for a weekend of racing ... on one truck?! :eek:
    The hardest part was finding a formula 1 driver that had a truck driving license.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

Giedo van der Garde demands start

Dutch F1 driver Giedo van der Garde has launched urgent legal action at Victorian Supreme Court claiming he has been unfairly dismissed by the Sauber racing team.

Link

Judging from Fernando's latest tweets, it doesn't seem as if he is in any doubts as to his return in Malaysia. Also found the "where did you wake up today" hashtag, an obvious reference to his post crash memory loss, to be quite funny!

https://twitter.com/alo_oficial/status/573885001046994944

https://twitter.com/alo_oficial/status/573887939878350848

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,462 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I'm sure he feels fine but if he did lose consciousness before the crash, I'm sure he will be having every test known to man to try to establish cause.
    If the cause is not an electrical one and is unknown at this time and if a medical issue with alonso is discovered, he will not be in the car in Malaysia.

frostie500 wrote: »
    Byron is one of the top journos in the paddock so I wouldn't take it with the pinch of salt that I'd usually attribute to red tops. Cant imagine it being a long term risk though so just a case of until more is formally announced we will see a lot of these stories. I've had numerous concussions and they're not to be taken lightly but equally I wouldn't attribute this type of rest period to them based on my experiences of them

Sorry but if he is one of the top journos then that's a sad reflection on what's there.
    Tagline:
    Doctors have not ruled out the possibility that the two-time World Champion may have lost conscious in his car before the accident at the Spanish circuit
    Grammatical error, let alone stating a pretty much unfalsifiable statement.
    Fears are growing that Fernando Alonso may never drive again.
    Facts.
    One eye witness said even though it was routine for drivers to survive much higher impacts Alonso was unconscious when medical services reached him and had to be lifted from the car.
    What a sentence. Unnamed, unqualified eyewitnesses for a start. Then the odd conflation of consciousness and surviving.
    Spanish newspaper El Pais has reported in hospital Alonso “woke up in 1995” having forgotten the last 20 years of his life.
    Jaysus, a source.
    As his memory returned Mirror Sport has been told later in the day he thought he was still driving for Ferrari, whom he left last season.

Now sources close to the Spaniard say he remembers everything except the accident itself and that he may never return.
    Pretty sure there are an awful lot of drivers on the grid right now and who've retired in the last 20 years who only remember crashes from the footage they've seen of them. Then the awesome non-sequitur of not remembering the crash and never returning.

Maybe he knows something. Maybe he's not a hacky red-top hack. Either way that article could have been produced by an algorithm.

• Advertisement
Advertisement